Author's Chapter Notes:

A little bit of a longer chapter than normal, as I couldn't find a good spot to split it. This is also a chapter that took a little more effort to write so it sounded more like it should (does that make sense? It makes sense in my head...) So please enjoy! 

Chapter 12
*A few weeks later*

Annie was excited for her weekend by herself, Scott was in Atlanta for a college frat brother's wedding, so it was her time to unwind. She had her West Cork Irish Whiskey and Vernor's Ginger Ale, the couch, her favorite blanket, the gas fireplace going, her mom’s Irish bread pudding baking in the oven, 'Live PD' playing in the background. Because nothing says relaxing like the smells of vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg filling the house while yelling at the TV for the police K9 to bite the suspect. It was her night, no Justin drama, no friend drama, no family drama, and no one was going to mess it up, right?

About 35 minutes into her relaxing night, a loud pounding started on the front door. She was too comfy and didn't want to move from her spot, hoping that whoever was at her front door would eventually just go away.

It seemed to do the trick at least for a few minutes, but then the pounding started again.

Getting up from the couch mumbling obscenities, she looked through the peephole, rolling her eyes as she opened the door.

"What do you want?" she asked, leaning against the door jam, crossing her arms over her chest.

"To apologize, to say I miss you, and to figure out why you haven’t responded to my message for the last couple of weeks," he smiled, looking at Annie from under his baseball hat.

"Apologize for what? She should be the one apologizing, not you, and I haven’t been answering your messages because I’ve been busy," Annie said. 

“Busy my butt! And you know Jess, she’s set in her ways and is hardheaded. Kind of like you," he smirked.

"No, she’s just a spoiled brat who's always gotten her way, and everyone is afraid to say 'no' to her," Annie said. "Do you want to come in? Wait, how did you get here anyway?"

"Trace let me borrow his truck," he said walking past her into the house.

"Of course, he did," she mumbled heading inside herself, getting a whiff of beer as he walked by.

"Did I interrupt something?" he asked sitting in an armchair that was next to the couch.

"Yeah my quiet night in," Annie said, "Do you want anything to drink?"

He saw her drink on the coffee table, "What are you drinking?"

"West Cork and Vernor's.’

"I’ll have that," he said moving to the couch, taking in Annie’s set up.

While Annie was in the kitchen, she texted Trace: 'Really, like you couldn’t text me saying he was coming?'

Trace quickly responded: 'Didn’t know, all he said was that he had an errand to run. Sorry *shrug emoji here*'

"Cozy," he said as Annie brought out his drink, plus the West Cork bottle. "What’s the bottle for?"

"For me to get through this ‘apology,’ but have you been drinking tonight?"

"Just a little buzz."

"Hmm…mmm"

"It’s true, had one beer at dinner, and that’s it."

"Huh uh... sure okay. So where’s my apology and why isn’t she here to give it?"

"She’s in Canada filming."

"Nice, she’s having you do her dirty work."

"Do you want the apology or not?"

"I want it from her, not you. Her apology coming from you really doesn't clear her."

"Well this is what you’re getting, at least for now." He put his drink down on the table and turned to look at Annie. "So, I'm sorry that Jess called you the ‘C’ word. We'd just found out about the pregnancy and she was getting over-emotional about everything, but she shouldn't have said that.”

"If she was really sorry, she'd be here to apologize in person. Maybe I was kind of acting like a bitch, but it was the only way to get through to her." She grabbed the bottle of whiskey taking a sip straight from it. "You saw how ridiculous her request list was!"

"You know what she's like, even at the best of times. Jess just wanted everything to be perfect, for the baby," he said, his smile wilting.

"Still, that's the first time anyone's called me a cunt, sure people have probably thought it before, but to say it to my face? She doesn't get a pass on that just by being pregnant."

He sighed, closing his eyes. "She knows that, we both do. For what it's worth, I really liked your plans for the house. When I saw them, I felt like I was home. So, I’m sorry Jess cost you the job."

“Actually let’s get this straight- I pulled myself off of it, so she didn't cost me the project. I just really didn’t want a clown house appearing in my or the agency’s portfolio. But I guess I’ll let Charlotte’s dad have that privilege."

"How’d you find out about Mr. Livingston doing the plans?"

Annie took a swig of whiskey before responding.

"I was back home last weekend to see how Dad was doing in the apartment, and so Sadie and I went out for lunch at the diner, and in true Charlotte fashion, she started bragging about it as soon as she walked in. ‘Did you hear daddy is designing Justin’s new house?’ Blah, blah blah, and then she sees me and comes over, sits down next to us and says that she’s sorry that I couldn’t see Jessica’s vision in the house, and that it was a design that is more suitable for a more experienced architect. Also, that it was Jessica who asked Mr. Livingston to take on the project, and then she just got up and left."

That's when the ding from the kitchen timer went off. 

"What was that?" Justin asked.

Annie headed to the kitchen, “I’m making bread pudding."

"Ah, so that's what I'm smelling. Using your mom’s recipe?" 

"Yeah its mom's recipe, who else’s recipe would I be using? But you want some?"

"Have I ever said no to your bread pudding?"

"Not that I know of," Annie said bring a large bowl of Irish Bread Pudding, with vanilla ice cream and two spoons. "Oh and as Charlotte was leaving the diner, a biscuit or two might have hit her."

"What’s with you and throwing perfectly yummy biscuits?"

"I can't help it that they make good ammo, plus it wasn't just me this time, Sadie might have helped. She’s been getting on my nerves since 4th grade, and this just made it worse. But what I don’t get is how did Jessica know Mr. Livingston and Charlotte to begin with?"

It was Justin’s turn to take a swig from the whiskey bottle.

"Last Fall, Dad and I went golfing at the country club, while Jessica hung out with mom in the clubhouse. Charlotte and Mr. Livingston were there, Charlotte introduced herself to us, and it seemed like her and Jess hit it off," he said taking a spoonful of bread pudding.

"Are we going to need more alcohol for this heart-to-heart apology?" Annie stood up heading back into the kitchen.

"Probably," he said with a mouthful of bread pudding.

She returned from the kitchen with 2 liquor bottles, handing Justin the clear one.

"Really, you’re giving me my own tequila?"

"Sure, I’ve got the bottles, might as well get used," Annie smirked.

"Stinker," he said opening the bottle and taking a swig. "Where’s Scott?"

"He’s in Atlanta for some frat brother’s wedding, where he’s a groomsman, hence the cozy night in by myself I had planned." 

“You didn’t go with him?”

“I wouldn’t know anyone, plus those are his buddies, and with him being a groomsman- I wouldn’t see him most of the time anyway…” Annie shrugged. "So, was that my "apology"?"

"Sorry, on my behalf of what Jessica called you at Trace's house, and the reaction she had at during the meeting when I wasn't there. And like I said before We'd just found out about the pregnancy and Jess just wants everything to be perfect," he said

Annie just stared at him. 

"Just accept it,” he said, taking another swig, with another bite of dessert.

Annie thought about it, took a swig from the Jameson bottle. "Nope, sorry"

"Oh come on!"

"Sorry J. I’m not going to accept it, it's not really coming from her. Like I said she doesn’t get a pass just because she’s pregnant. I only did what she wanted when it came to redoing the plans, I had to get it through to her somehow that the house was going to look hideous, and the best way to do that is to actually show her what it would look like. Plus, did you know that it was her idea to end this friendship, just like that?" Annie sighed, snapping her fingers.

"Wait, I thought it was your idea to end it, at least that’s what she made it seem like."

Taking another sip from the bottle, she replied, “Of course she’s going to make it seem like it was my idea, but nope, when she pulled me aside before your show, she told me that I was a distraction to you and that we need to end the friendship. I told her that we’ve been through so much shit together that it ain’t gonna happen. But then thinking about it, I didn’t want to come in between you two, because I had that happen to me, and it sucks, so I didn’t want you to go through what I went through with Brad. So that’s why I haven’t been answering your messages and been talkative lately."

"I’m sorry Annie," Justin said looking down, then took a sip from his bottle.

"But hearing you say that you miss me, made me miss you even more. I miss this..."

Justin moved closer on the couch to take Annie into a hug. "Well I can tell you that I won’t let her get in between our friendship."

"Thanks J," Annie said snuggling more into him. “I’m sorry I wasn’t answering your messages, I think I just need time to recoup from what happened. However, I’m going to say this as your best friend and someone whose known you since forever, you need to put your foot down more when it comes to Jessica. The relationship is supposed to be an equal give and take, not take take take, and that’s what she’s doing…"

"I know," he said swigging the bottle, then handing it to Annie, who took a swig herself.

“Although I could also be talking out of my ass because we know how my marriage ended up. But after I heard that Mr. Livingston is now handling the plans, after I left the diner, Sadie told me that she overheard Charlotte talking about how they were going to use my plans, but just adjust them a little, like add more rooms or something. So congrats once again on living in a clown house."

"Thanks Annie," Justin rolled his eyes, as he took the bottle from her.

"My pleasure," she smirked, taking a bite of the bread putting, flipping the spoon upside down in her mouth, then pulling it out, noticing Justin starring at her.

"Wha…" she started looking at him with ice cream in her mouth.

Before she was able to finish her question, he grabbed the back of her neck and started kissing her, tasting the ice cream, bread pudding, and whiskey mix on her lips. As they were making out, he took the dessert bowl from her and placed it on the coffee table, then Annie leaned back on the couch to get more comfortable, before breaking the kiss.

"Do you want me to stop?" Justin asked, hovering over her on the couch.

With Annie’s mind in an alcohol fog, "Please don’t," she smiled as Justin smiled, then went back to making out, and the heat started to build up between them.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: trace originalcharacter best friends bestfriends