Chapter 10-

Spring 2012

"Are you ready?" Annie asked walking into Brad’s office at Vanderbilt University.

"This is dumb, why do we have to go?" Brad asked looking up from his computer.

Annie moved behind Brad hugging him, "Because I said so, plus Justin says she could be the one and that I have to meet her. And if you behave you just might get something special later," kissing him on the cheek. "So, let’s go, we’re already late."

"Fine, let’s go," Brad mumbled standing up. "Is he paying for it?"

"I don’t know, probably, or I think that his parents might…" ???

"Alright, let’s go then," Brad smiled letting Annie walk before him through the door, then locking it.

"Just because they might be paying doesn’t mean you can order the most expensive thing."

"Come on Annie, give me some credit. I don’t order the most expensive thing, second expensive maybe, but never the most. Where are we going anyway?"

"I think he said The Southern?" Annie said checking her phone. "Yep, The Southern on 3rd Ave."

"Going fancy, but not too fancy. Nice," Brad said getting into the car, Annie rolling her eyes.

About 10 minutes later, they arrived at The Southern Steam and Oyster, valeting the car, Brad grabbed Annie’s hand as they walked into the restaurant.

As they approached the table, Annie noticed everyone was there, Justin’s parents, his brothers, Trace, Sam, Justin’s new girlfriend and of course Justin. The first person to notice Annie and Brad was Justin’s mom, Lynn.

"Annie!" she smiled and standing up, causing everyone to turn and look at Annie and Brad.

"Hi," Annie said as Lynn gave her a hug, "Sorry we’re late."

"It’s okay, just glad you’re here."

As Brad took a seat, Annie went and did her ‘hello’ thing.

"Hi Annie Bananie," Justin said getting up and giving her a bear hug.

"Hi J," she mumbled before breaking away.

"So this is Jessica, Jessica this is Annie," Justin smiled introducing the two.

"Hi, nice to meet you," Annie said holding out her hand for a handshake.

Jessica looked Annie up and down, "You too," she quickly said before turning back to her conversation.

"Alright then," Annie said.

"Sorry about that, I’m sure you’ll two talk later," Justin said.

"Maybe," Annie smiled. "But sit down and let me go say hi to everyone else."

"Sounds good."

Throughout the night, Annie tried to get to know Jessica a little more but was either met with short answers or ignored all together.

"Alright, well she’s got her mind set all ready," Annie said to Sam who was sitting next to her.

"I’m sure she’ll come around," Sam said.

"Yeah we’ll see," Annie said taking a drink of her water.

"By the way, what’s up with the water? I thought for sure this would be a Jameson kind of night of you," Sam laughed.

"Doctor said that I’m not getting enough water and to lay off the Jameson for a little while…"

"Like 9 months while?"

"Not saying that… just yet…"

Sam just smiled and squeezed Annie hand, as Annie half smiled back. Sam knew of Annie’s previous pregnancy attempts and knew better to say anything more as she had some of the same issues herself.

"Oh by the way congrats Annie," Trace said looking her direction.

"For what?" she asked, then looked at Brad. "You didn’t tell him, did you?"

"About what? The baby? No," Brad whispered.

"What are you talking about Trace?"

"Your Top 40 under 40 in Nashville," Trace smiled.

"Where’d you see that?"

"The Nashville Business Journal I was flipping through while waiting for a meeting."

"Congrats Annie," Justin smiled. "That’s awesome."

Seeing how the attention was on Annie, and not on her, Jessica decided to share her own news.

"Congrats Annie, however…"

"Oh great here we go," Sam mumbled.

"I got some news of my own to share…"

"Shocker…"

Annie sniffled her laugh while hitting Sam’s thigh to tell her to hush.

"This should be good," Brad said. "So what’s your big news?"

"I just got signed to do a guest spot on ‘Modern Family’."

"How is this news? Aren’t you already on TV?" Brad asked.

"Well Chad…"

"It’s Brad," Annie corrected.

"Doesn’t matter. This is news because guest spots don’t happen all that often and it’s a special occasion when one does book a spot."

"Well congrats Jess, can’t wait to watch it, but I want to hear more about this 40 under 40 in Nashville that Trace was talking about," Lynn said.

"It’s just a list that recognizes 40 young professionals who are under 40 years old making a positive impact on Nashville through their hard work and community involvement. That’s all really, it’s not a big deal. Although I totally forgot about it, since they did the photo a month or so ago," Annie mentioned.

"That’s amazing, congrats Annie," Tucker, Justin’s dad said.

"Thank You, it’s nothing, really…"

"I’m so proud of you," Brad smiled, putting his arm around Annie giving her a kiss.

Throughout the night, if the attention wasn’t on Jessica, she would make sure it always came back to her.

As everyone was leaving, Sam interlocked her arms with Annie, "Well that was fun." Annie just responded with a laugh.

"Sam, we’re over here," Trace yelled.

"Bye girlie," Sam said hugging Annie. "Love you!"

"Bye you guys- Love you too," Annie said as Brad took her hand.

"Thanks, Annie, for coming," Justin said walking over to the two.

"No problem, anything for you. I mean you are my best friend after all."

"And sorry about Jessica…"

"Ehh it’s okay, it happens. I’m sure she’ll warm up to me eventually."

"I hope, but I’ll text you later," Justin said as his car, and Annie and Brad’s car came to the valet stand at the same time.

"Sounds good! Bye Justy!" Annie smiled as they got into their respective cars and drove home.

--

"Oh yeah that was the night after your 40 under 40 thing came out," Trace said.

"So, yep- it's not even worth putting my career and portfolio on the line you know..."

"Yeah."

"So I don't care at this point if they go with another firm."

"Not even if somehow or someway they go with Charlotte's dad's firm?"

Annie paused at the name of her nemesis since elementary school.

'Nope...'

'Liar!" Trace laughed

"Fine, I might hurt a little, but then when it's done and it looks like a disaster, I'll just sit back and laugh."

"So what's the plan now?"

Annie shrugged like he was able to see her, "I dunno."

"Have you responded to all of J's text about what happened."

"Nope," she quickly responded.

"You know you're going to have to explain it to him at some point."

"Yeah I know- should I just go over and apologize? Why am I the one feeling like shit about this Trace? I shouldn't be but I do..."

"Because you want what's best for your friends. You've been like this as long as I've known you..."

"So I should go over and explain why I pulled myself off?"

"If that makes you feel better, then sure..."

"Do you know when he's getting back in town?"

"I think either Thursday, or Friday...," Trace said trying to think. "Yeah sometime on Friday."

"Got it."

"So you good?"

"Yeah I'm good..."

"That's my Annie," Trace smiled.

"Thanks sir."

"So let me know how it goes."

"I will, but I'm sure he'll tell you before I'm able to."

"Sometimes I'm not sure about that.."

Annie started laughing, "Yeah, right."

"Anyway, I just wanted to check in with you after today and the group messages."

"Thanks, I really do appreciate it Trace."

"I know. But I gotta get the girls to bed, since Sam is out with her sister tonight. So I'll call you later okay."

"Sounds good. Give the girls cuddles for me."

"I will, but I'll talk to you later.'

'Okay, talk to you later'

'Bye.'

'Bye.'

And with that they both hung up their phones. Sitting on the couch with the ice cream pint half-eaten, sighing, Annie got off the couch and headed back in the kitchen to put the ice cream back in the freezer before heading upstairs.

Walking up the stairs, her phone started to ring again, looking down at the Caller ID- she saw it was Scott.

"Thank god," she mumbled answering the phone.

"Hey"

"Hey- so how did today's meeting go?"

"Ehh..."

"That good?"

"Sure if you say so," Annie said lying on top of her bed.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"Not really."

"Okay- well when you're ready I'm here," Scott reassured.

"I know."

"Well just don't get in your own head about it."

Scrunching her face, Annie replied "Too late."

"I figured, so you just need to go take a hot shower and know everything will eventually workout."

"I hope so..."

"Well the first step is the hot shower. You know they say taking a shower before bed helps wash the stress of the day away."

"Really? I always took a shower at night because it was easier to claim the one bathroom in the house, then it was in the morning, with all the boys trying to get ready. Which looking back on it, it's actually funny because they always took longer to get ready, than I did."

"See you just need the shower as a start..."

"Yeah, that actually doesn't sound too bad right now."

"So go enjoy your shower and let it was whatever happened today down the drain."

"Easier said, then done."

"Hey, I'm trying to help you here."

"I know and I really do appreciate it, but this probably might have to take a few showers to wash away."

"Well, one shower at a time then."

"Fine, I'll go take a shower."

"I promise you'll feel a little better, and if not, then you have permission to call me in the middle of the night to bitch and moan some more."

"Okay, you got a deal," Annie said while laughing.

"Now, I'll let you get to it and call me tomorrow."

"You got it."

"Have a good night."

"You too."

Hanging up the phone, Annie just lay there, thinking about what Scott had said.

He was right, she needed a nice long hot shower, at least if the stress doesn't wash away- she'll hopefully get some decent sleep- at least she wishes.

Pulling herself up, she dragged herself in the bathroom, turning on the shower to the hottest setting she knew she could handle. While the shower was heating up, she peeled off her work clothes and tossed them into the hamper. By that point the bathroom was already filling up with steam, stepping into the shower, and standing right under the hot water, Annie groaned as the hot water started to relax her muscles. Scott was right, this was exactly what she needed after today.

Leaning up against the back wall of the shower, head up against her arms and letting the hot water wash over her back, Annie got an idea that she just couldn't shake.

Smiling she quickly finished up her shower, dried off, brushed her teeth, and changed into a t-shirt and pajama shorts, grabbing her phone and laying on the bed, she quickly sent Justin a text:

'Let me know when you guys get back into town on Friday."

After hitting the send button, she turned her phone and silent and put it on her bedside table, while grabbing the notebook and pen, and started to work on the idea, because if she didn't get it down on paper at that moment, she wouldn't be able to sleep, as it would be the only thing she thought about.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: trace originalcharacter best friends bestfriends