The police station hadn't taken Rachel long at all. Detective Campbell met with her immediately. She was shown into a conference room and gave her account on what happened. They recorded the conversation and asked her questions. She also gave a written statement. The detective also answered what questions she could think to ask, as well as those that Lance and Michael had. He informed them that the Assistant District Attorney would be getting in contact with her.

 

When they left the police station, they headed across town toward her place. The closer she got, the quieter she became. There was a pit growing in her stomach. Her fists tightened so much, her fingernails dug into her palms. She stared out the window as Lance turned on her road, staring at the neighboring houses. They rounded the corner and there was her car, pulled as close to the curb as she could get it. The road wasn't wide enough and she was always afraid someone would fly around the corner and hit her car. So far it hadn't happened yet because the only people who traveled their road were those who lived there.

 

JC had a garage, but it was a tight fit to get both their vehicles inside. They could do it, but they didn't very often. She always left her car tucked right before the garage. Sometimes she'd park right in front of the garage. They usually played musical cars when it came to getting out of the house. Sometimes they took whatever was easiest. There were plenty of times when JC took her car because it was too much of a hassle to move it to get his from the garage.

 

Lance pulled in front of Rachel's car, blocking the driveway. He made sure he was tucked close to the garage door and out of the road. "You okay?" He asked his sister when she made no move to get out.

 

"Yeah," Rachel said softly and climbed from Lance's car. She walked down the dirt path between the cars and the wall toward the door that led into their property. With a shaking finger she entered the code and pushed the door open. She wondered how the paramedics and police officers had gotten in the house. The garage had been shut and someone would have had to buzz them in through the door. Lance and Michael followed behind her. Her steps slowed as she walked along the walkway toward the door.

 

Reaching the door, she stopped and dug for her keys in her purse. When she had them in her hand, she realized how much it was shaking. Inserting the key in the lock she gave it a turn. Before she could push it open, she froze.

 

"Rachel?" Lance questioned when Rachel didn't open the door. He frowned when she didn't answer. "Hey? Rachel?" He looked at Michael next to him and took a step forward and shifted to the side of his sister. He could see the tears rolling down her cheeks. Her hand was shaking. Her breaths here coming out in short gasps. "Oh... hey..." he said softly and moved to stand between her and the door. "Hey... it's okay. Calm down." He reached up and cupped her shoulder. "Look at me. Come on."

 

"I...I..." Rachel shook her head and took a step back, stumbling when she ran in to Michael. Hands steadied her. "No..."

 

"Hey," Lance held Rachel's shoulders with both hands. "Calm down."

 

"I c-can't," Rachel whispered, shaking her head. She took another step back and another, away from the front door.

 

"Okay. We don't have to go in." Lance frowned when Rachel's breathing got worse. "Come on," he wrapped an arm around her shoulder and led her away from the door toward a bench that set in front of the window into the dining room. The walk way was narrow on this side of the house. It didn't lead to a balcony on the front of the house, instead it lead to stairs that took them to the first floor balcony where the pool was. The second story balcony was only accessible from the inside. He sat her down and crouched in front of her.

 

"Put your head down," Michael pressed on the back of Rachel's neck until she leaned forward in the chair, her head to her knees.

 

"Now just breathe," Lance said calmly. He rested his hand over hers on her knee. "Just concentrate on breathing. We're gonna sit here until you're ready. Did I ever tell you..." he talked softly to his sister. Telling her stories that came to his mind. Some he was sure she knew, others he wasn't sure. He kept talking until Rachel's breathing returned to normal. "That's it," he said, squeezing her hand. "You're doing good."

 

"I can't go in there," Rachel whispered. She closed her eyes as tears slipped free.

 

"It's completely clean. I promise. I was here yesterday while it was being done. You can't tell."

 

"I can't." She shook her head again and sat up. Lance was blurred in front of her eyes were full of tears.

 

"Okay," Lance said. "You don't have to go in there. Stay here with Michael and I'll go inside and grab what you need." He walked back to the door and pushed it open as he pulled Rachel's keys from the keyhole. He hesitated at the entrance, staring at the spot on the floor where the blood had laid the day before. Like he told Rachel, it was completely gone. Unless you knew where it was, there was no telling.

 

Able to shake himself, he shut the door behind him and walked through the house. He needed to find JC's phone and wallet. Rachel didn't know where the items could be. She told him to check the living room, the counter in the kitchen, and his bedroom. He found JC's phone laying on the arm of the couch in the living room. Holding it in his hand, he climbed the stairs to search for JC's wallet.

 

It was weird walking in to JC's room, especially when he wasn't there. Lance found the wallet quickly, seeing it laying on the top of the dresser. He opened it and made sure at least his driver's license and insurance card were inside. It felt like he should be grabbing more items, but at this point, JC didn't need anything. Once he woke up, JC would more than likely request things he wanted for his hospital stay.

 

Before he went downstairs, he went into Rachel's room. She had mentioned wanting a couple things. He found the items and went to leave the room but an envelope on the vanity caught his attention. Walking over, he looked down and saw his sister's name written across the front in JC's writing. He wondered what it was and if Rachel had seen it. Deciding to bring it with him, he picked it up and left the room.

 

Back outside, Lance saw Rachel still sitting on the bench. Michael next to her. "How are you doing?"

 

"Can we get out of here?" Rachel looked up at Lance. Her leg bounced with nerves and it took everything not to bite her fingernails. Her stomach was flipping and twisting itself.

 

"Yeah," Lance nodded. "I got everything."

 

"What's that?" Rachel asked looking at what Lance held in his hand. "Is that a sweatshirt?"

 

"Yeah," Lance shifted the other items in his hands and held up the sweatshirt he had grabbed from JC's room before he left. "It was laying on his dresser. I thought you might want it." Lance shrugged. "It smells like him."

 

Rachel stared at Lance then down at the zip up hoodie. She recognized it as one JC wore often. She wasn't surprised that it was tossed on the dresser within easy grab.

 

"If you don't want it, I'll just toss it back inside," Lance said. "I thought it would be comforting."

 

Rachel reached out and took the sweatshirt; the fabric soft in her hand. She threaded her arm through the sleeve, pulling it on over the t-shirt she wore. Lance was right. It did smell like JC. She gripped the open edges in either hand and pulled them across her body as she crossed her arms.

 

"Ready?" Lance asked, sharing a look with Michael.

 

"Yes." Rachel turned and quickly walked down the short path along the wall toward the door. She pulled it open and waited for Lance and Michael to step through before she pulled it shut making sure it was secure before walking to Lance's car. She climbed in the backseat and fastened the seatbelt.

 

"Here," Lance extended his arm between the front seats and handed the items he grabbed from the house to his sister.

 

"What's the envelope?" Rachel asked putting everything in her lap. His phone was dead, which she had figured. She had already been prepared for that and plugged it in to the waiting wire plugged in to the back of Lance's center counsel. She opened his wallet and verified the insurance card was tucked in one of the pockets. The hospital needed a copy of it, as well as his driver's license. They had been holding off knowing the circumstances and the fact that the police hadn't released the scene yet.

 

"No idea," Lance said as he pulled away from JC's house. He pulled into the neighbor's drive up to the gate and backed out so he could turn around and head back down the road. He drove slowly on the winding downhill road, silently cursing JC for buying a house where he did. There was barely any room to pass cars. People parked on the side of the street because there was no room for driveways with the houses so close together. "I swear I am never driving up here again," he muttered as he had to pull as close to the edge as he could to allow another vehicle to pass. "It was laying on your vanity."

 

"I don't remember seeing it." When she had gotten to her room on Saturday, there had been so many emotions going through her, a marching band could have been standing in the middle of her room playing ‘Stars and Stripes Forever' and she wouldn't have noticed. The enveloped bulged a little. Turning it over, she slid her finger beneath the flap and ripped it open. There was a card inside and she pulled it out. "Oh... it's a birthday card."

 

"Even in the hospital JC managed to get you a birthday card," Lance said with a teasing tone. "I'm still waiting for one from my sister." He grinned when Michael snickered.

 

"I've been a little busy Lance."

 

"So what did he give you?" Lance asked as he turned on Sunset Boulevard heading toward the hospital.

 

The card was simple. It was white and the writing on the front was alternating lines of light pink and black. It read, "Happy birthday to my most favorite human" in capital letters in a font that looked like someone's handwriting. The sentiment brought a smile to her face. JC was her most favorite human as well. Opening it up, she frowned seeing the folded papers that explained the bulkiness of the envelope. "What?" She whispered when she unfolded the papers.

 

"What is it?" Lance asked. "What did he get you?"

 

"Plane tickets..." Rachel stared at the two tickets with an October departure date, landing in Olso, Norway.

 

"Where's he taking you?" He glanced in the rearview mirror. His sister's face was covered in shock.

 

"Europe." She unfolded the other papers and scanned the detailed schedule. Her jaw dropped further. "He has a whole vacation planned through Demark, Sweden, and Norway."

 

"Wow," Lance said surprised. "You're kidding me."

"No. He planned a two week vacation." As she read through the itinerary she recognize some of the names from when she had spoken to Bryan about his trip. She'd been so enthralled listening as Bryan reciting what it was like. Afterward she had spent a few days researching the places and checking out photographs on the Internet, falling more in love with the countries. She had been to Europe before but it was all the usual places: Spain, France, England, Italy. The Scandinavian countries were added to her bucket list.

 

"I'm not sure how you're going to top that present, Sis," Lance cut across oncoming traffic and pulled in to the parking structure at the hospital.

 

Rachel was still in shock over the gift as she folded up the papers intending to stick them back in the card. It was then she noticed the writing. Lifting the card she read JC's words: ‘Do you know how many Star Wars movies we can watch on the flight over?' she chuckled out loud.  She didn't know the answer, but she wouldn't be surprised if JC researched it and knew the answer. ‘I don't know how to even thank you for all the things you've done, did, and will do. You have always been there. I am lucky to have you my life. I can't wait to celebrate with you tonight. Love JC'

 

"You're gonna ruin the tickets if you let too many tears fall on them." Lance had turned around in the seat after he had parked.

 

"They're fake."

 

"What?" Lance reached back and grabbed the tickets from Rachel's hand. "How are they fake?"

 

"Come on Lance," Michael said. "Who actually prints tickets?"

 

Lance looked at the tickets. The tickets were a perfect mock up including the card stock paper. Looking at them more closely, he saw they were fake. Where the name was supposed to be one ticket just said ‘you'. The other said ‘me' and was followed by a bunch of question marks. He scoffed. Like Rachel wasn't going to take him along. "Maybe this is my ticket." Lance held up the one that said me. "Maybe it's his birthday present to me. I think it would be cool to visit Norway."

 

"I'm not taking you," Rachel rolled her eyes and snatched the tickets from his hand.

 

Lance sighed overdramatically. "That would have been an awesome birthday present, sis."

 

"I told you, I already have your present. It's at the house." Rachel put the papers back in the card and slide the card into the envelope. She picked up the small shoulder bag and put the card inside. His phone followed as well as his wallet. She double checked to make sure she had what she needed a gasped.

 

"What?" Lance asked as he unbuckled his seat belt.

 

"Oh no no no no," She chanted and dug through the shoulder bag. She dumped the items on the seat, but didn't see what she was looking for. She patted the front pocket of her jeans and arched up to check her back pockets. "No no no," she repeated and looked at the floor at her feet. Empty.

 

"What's wrong? What are you looking for? Michael asked.

 

"My wallet. I thought I stuck it in the bag." She looked up at Lance. "I can't get into ICU without my ID." It didn't matter that she had been a staple in the ICU. Lance had been able to get her to take a walk through the hospital to stretch her legs. Karen had succeeded in pulling her to the cafeteria. Not that she had been able to eat much. "I must have left it sitting on the counter."

 

"Don't worry," Lance turned back in his seat and started the car again. He pulled his seat belt back on. "We'll run back to the house and grab it. We'll be a couple hours. Just tell Karen what happened."

 

*~*

 

"I don't understand why you have to come in as well," Rachel said as they all climbed from the car back at Lance's. "I'm just gonna run in and get my wallet."

 

"I told you," Lance said as he punched in the code to unlock the gate that led to his front door. "I have to go to the bathroom. It won't take any longer than you getting your ID." He led the group up the stairs to his front door where he unlocked it and pushed the door open. "I'll be right back."

 

"Hurry up!" Rachel called as she made her way to the kitchen. There, on the table, sat her wallet. She couldn't believe she left it laying there. Her bag had been right next to it. She picked it up and opened it to make sure her driver's license was still inside. It was. With it in her hand, she went back to the door and waited for Lance and Michael to reappear. "I'm having flashbacks to when we would take family trips. You always had to stop and go to the bathroom." She told Lance when he came down the hallway.

 

"Sorry." Lance said. "Michael's coming. He said to just wait in the car. He'll lock up."

 

Rachel nodded and turned around. She grabbed the door knob and pulled it open, gasping when she came face to face with Matt. "You scared the shit out of me!"

 

"Sorry," Matt apologized. He'd been trying to work up the courage to knock on the door. Like the conversation he had with Renee the other night, he wasn't looking forward to this one either.

 

"Are you okay?" Rachel asked, her eyebrows furrowing as she took in Matt's appearance. "We haven't really spoken since..."

 

"That's my fault," Matt said when she trailed off. "My head hasn't been in the right place." That was an understatement. His head hasn't been in the right place since long before the shooting.

 

"Do you need something?" Rachel frowned. Matt really did look terrible. She wondered if that's how she looked yesterday before Lance was able to pull her away from JC's bedside.

 

"I actually needed to talk to you," Matt stuffed his hands in his pocket and looked at the woman he considered a close friend. There were plenty of times he and Renee had gone out with JC and Rachel; plenty of vacations between the four of them. It was crazy to think how there was a last time for doing something without understanding that it would be the final time.

 

"We're on our way out the door," Rachel looked over her shoulder helplessly at Lance. Michael had joined them. "On our way back to JC."

 

"I'm shocked to even find you here."

 

"I didn't want to be here, but Lance insisted I needed to sleep and eat. JC's parents have been at the hospital since yesterday morning." Rachel hated to admit but she did feel better after being able to sleep and get something to eat. She would never admit to Lance that he was right. She had a feeling he knew anyway. "We were already there this morning, but I forgot my ID so we had to come back and get it."

 

"It won't take very long. There's just something you need to know. It can't wait. It's already been too long."

 

Rachel frowned. Her face scrunched in confusion. It crossed her mind to brush him off so she could get back to the hospital and JC, but Matt looked so beaten. "Okay. Come in." She stood back from the door, allowing Matt to enter. She sent Lance a questioning look, who shrugged in response. "What's going on?" She asked after they moved into the living room to sit down. It was hard to not look at the clock. She wanted to be back with JC, but she couldn't turn Matt away. His appearance done her in.

 

"You have to know I never meant for any of this to happen. If I knew this was what was going to happen, I'd never had done it, but I didn't have a choice at the time. Well... I did. I just took the easy way."

 

"What are you talking about?" Matt's words just cause more confusion.

 

"About a month ago, I slept with Addison." He watched as Rachel's eyes widened. When she leaned away from him, his heart stumbled. He had already lost Renee. He wasn't sure where he stood with JC. Now Rachel... There was no one to blame but himself.

 

"Oh Matt... no..."

 

"It was the worst thing I have ever done...one of the worst," he amended after the events from Saturday flashed through his head. "I regretted it immediately. I don't even know why... I tried to keep it from Renee. I would have done anything so Renee wouldn't find out."

 

Rachel's heart broke for Renee. Renee was one of her closest friends. They clicked from the moment Matt introduced them when they had started dating. "Does Renee know?"

 

Matt nodded. "I told her everything. I made her promise not to tell you. I needed you to hear it from me. She gave me that at least."

 

"What's going to happen now? Between you two?" She wiped away a tear. Sadness coursed through her. The hurt both of her friends were going through.

 

"I'm not sure," Matt said honestly. "I moved out. She... she needs time."

 

"I'm so sorry Matt," Rachel reached out and clasped his hand, giving it a squeeze. "I'm here for you. You know that."

 

Matt tried to give her a small smile, but his lips wouldn't curve. He didn't deserve Rachel's support. "There's something else I have to tell you." He closed his eyes. Rubbing both of his hands over his face he took a deep breath. "After it happened, I would do anything so Renee wouldn't find out what happened. I knew if she did, it would be all over. I let Addison blackmail me..."

 

"That bitch!" Rachel spat out. "I curse the day she ever crossed paths with JC." She stared at Matt and saw how he refused to meet her gaze. "What did she want in return?" She asked slowly, dread setting in.

 

"JC." Matt answered. "I introduced Addison to Jimmy and JC under the guise of writing a Girl Radical song together."

 

"Okay."

 

"It wasn't good enough. Addison thought once I introduced them, it would be easy. But JC never took any of the bait she dangled in front of him. He kept their relationship strictly professional." He shifted on the couch in order to face Rachel a little more. "You don't understand, I thought she'd grow tired of it. She'd set her sights on someone else and move on. But the song writing sessions just kept going. She kept getting more and more frustrated as JC continued to resist."

 

"What did you do?" Rachel whispered. Fragments from Saturday popped in to her head. The arguing between Matt and JC. JC's insisting that she hear what Matt had to say. Matt knowing about the voicemail. "What did you do?"

 

"You've gotta believe me, I didn't think it would turn out like this," Matt pleaded.

 

"What did you do?"

 

"I recorded a conversation between JC and me."

 

"The voicemail..." she whispered.

 

"It was a fake. You have to believe me. I recorded the conversation and then manipulated the audio to make it sound like JC didn't like you."

 

"Why would you do that?"

 

"I had to. Addison was going to tell Renee and I couldn't let that happen. I was trying to save my marriage."

 

"You let me believe JC said those awful things about me. Do you know how much it hurt hearing that? Do you understand what that did to me?"

 

Matt was wrecked. "I know. I'm so sorry. I thought you'd hear it and tear in to him. I was counting on you confronting him. I knew once JC heard the voicemail he'd know it was fake. He'd know who did it too. I was waiting for him to come after me. I could confess what I did... but you took off without word and JC... JC lost it."

 

"I spent the last two weeks completely devastated thinking JC hated me..." she whispered. "This was all just a rouse so you could save your marriage. You did this to me, to JC, so you could save your marriage?  We're your friends, Matt. JC considers you his best friend. How could you do this to us? Why didn't you come to us?"

 

"I just wanted to save my marriage." Matt's eyes were red rimmed with the tears he was trying to hold at bay. "I thought you and JC would be able to see through it. The relationship you guys have is stronger than anyone's I know. I didn't think anything could come between you two."

 

There were no words to describe the hurt and pain Rachel felt. Matt had manipulated her. "How could you do that to us? I just spent the last two weeks mad at JC. I couldn't even hear his voice it hurt me too much. And now..." her voice cracked and a tear rolled down her cheek. "Now he might die and I'll never get to tell him..."

 

"I'm so sorry," Matt whispered. He reached out to take her hand. His heart broke when she broke the hold immediately.

 

"This is what you and JC were arguing about before..."

 

Matt nodded. "I couldn't take it anymore. JC was sinking further and further in to depression. You were gone. You had shut everyone out. I couldn't look Renee in the face anymore. I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror. I didn't even know you were here when I stopped over. I didn't know Addison was going to show up. I definitely didn't know she had a gun. I never expected any of this to happen."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers unrequited love assistant court postsync originalcharacter jc lance solojc