McKenzie's eyes shot open with a gasp. The headlights had been right in front of her. She had kept calling out for her mom but had received no answer. She pushed herself up and gasped in pain falling back on the couch. Tears pricked in her eyes as pain radiated up her back over her shoulders and across her chest. She had never felt anything like it before.

 

She took gasping breaths trying to sooth the pain. She was afraid to move. Every movement, even the most minute, caused pain. It didn't make sense. After the accident she felt fine. There wasn't this much pain. Why did it hurt now?  There was nothing displaying the time in JC's living room. She remembered a clock on the wall but that didn't help in the darkness. Her phone was on the coffee table... or was it on the table next to the couch? Did JC take it and plug it in somewhere? Where was JC? He'd been sitting on the couch next to her. She'd fallen sleep against his leg. His hand have been carding through her hair.

 

There were so many questions. Where was her mom? Was she back from the hospital yet? How was she supposed to get help? With tears in her eyes, McKenzie pushed up crying out in pain as her muscles protested. It hurt too much. She collapsed back on the couch with a cry.

 

A light turned on from somewhere in the house. A few moments later a hand touched her back in a comforting gesture.

 

"Kenzi? Are you okay?" Karen whispered worriedly. She wasn't sure what had woken her. Had been certain it was nothing. She had rolled back over to go back to sleep when she heard the sound again. It had been hard to decipher behind the closed door and had opened the bedroom door to check. That was when she heard the muffled cries.

 

"It hurts," McKenzie cried. "It hurts to move."

 

"What hurts? Tell me where?"

 

"My back. My neck. My chest."

 

"I was afraid this would happen," Karen frowned.

 

"What?" McKenzie cried, clenching the couch cushions in her hands.

 

"You're sore from the accident. The adrenaline wore off. All these aches were being covered up by the adrenaline and shock of being in a car accident," Karen explained.

 

"But it hurts so bad."

 

"I know, Sweetie. I know." Karen comforted. "It should be time for you to take more medicine. JC left it on the counter in the kitchen. I'll see if I can find a heating pad as well. That will help loosen the muscles. Tomorrow you can soak in a hot bath with Epsom Salt. That will also help tremendously. Okay?"

 

"Where's mom?" McKenzie questioned. "Is she back from the hospital? Where's JC?"

 

"They're sleeping in JC's room. Your mom got back from the hospital a few hours ago. Just try and relax Kenzi. Let me get you something for the pain. Then I'll track down the heating pad." She hoped her son had one. She figured it was a staple in any household, but she couldn't be positive anymore. In the kitchen she grabbed the bottle of Ibuprofen from the counter and shook out a pill. Armed with a pill and a bottle of water from the fridge she went back to the living room. It broke her heart to see the tears in McKenzie's eyes. "Do you need me to help you?"

 

"Please," McKenzie whispered. She wasn't sure she could tilt her head to drink the water.

 

"Let me get a straw." Karen sat the items down on the coffee table and went back into the kitchen to find a straw. When she found one she quickly went back to McKenzie. Uncapping the water, she stuck the straw in and handed the pill to McKenzie. She watched as McKenzie popped it into her mouth and took a sip of water from the straw. "Good. That will kick in soon."

 

Karen went off in search of a heating pad, looking in all the usual places. She didn't find one. The only thing she was able to do was knock on JC's door and see if it was in his bathroom or if he even had one. After climbing the stairs, she softly knocked on the door. It took a couple knocks before she heard her son mumble something that sounded like ‘what'. She turned the handle and pushed the door open. The light from the hallway cast a glow in the room and she could make out the bed. Tiptoeing inside, she went to JC's side and laid a hand on the arm that was casually tossed on top of the covers. Rachel was curled up against his side and Karen wondered if she needed pain medication as well. "JC?" Karen whispered, giving him a light shake. "It's your mom."

 

JC blinked his eyes open in confusion. He could just make out his mother standing over him from the glow of the hall light. "What's going on?" His speech was sleep slurred.

 

"It's Kenzi." She watched as he became fully awake.

 

"What's wrong? Is she okay?" JC asked. The last thing he had wanted to do was leave her sleeping on the couch, but there was no where else for her to sleep. All his rooms were taken.

 

"The adrenaline wore off." Karen explained. "I could hear her crying."

 

"What?" JC froze at his mother's words. McKenzie was crying. He hadn't heard anything. What kind of person did that make him? His mother, who was right across the hall, heard the crying, but he continued to sleep on.

 

"JC-" Karen started as JC began to untangle himself from Rachel. "I got McKenzie. You stay here and take care of Rachel. I just wanted to ask if you had a heating pad. I've already given her more Ibuprofen but a heating pad would work until she can either soak in a hot tub or let the water from a hot shower hit her."

 

"I should have thought of that," JC said as he stood.

 

"It's alright. It was a hectic night."

 

"That's no excuse." JC went into his bathroom and dug the heating bad out from underneath the sink.

 

"JC I promise you, you're doing a good job." Karen assured her son when they stepped from his bedroom.

 

"It doesn't feel like it."

 

"Trust me. You are."

 

"Kenzi?" JC said softly as he entered the living room. The blanket was twisted around her, not even covering her upper body.  She was laying on her stomach with her head turned facing outward. Her eyes opened when he called her name. "Oh Sweetie." He knelt in front of her and reach out stroking her hair.

 

"It hurts JC," McKenzie cried. New tears formed in her eyes. "It hurts to move."

 

"I know." JC frowned and looked over his shoulder to his mother. "Does she need to go to the hospital?"

 

Karen shook her head. "She needs to rest. Apply some heat to the sore muscles. Tomorrow she can soak in an Epson Salt bath."

 

"I don't have any."

 

"I can run to the store in the morning to pick some up. Probably pick up another heating pad. No doubt Rachel will be wanting one tomorrow too."

 

"Should we do it now?" JC asked, already thinking. He could run to the CVS on Fairfax. He believed it was open 24 hours. He also thought the Rite Aid on Sunset was 24 hours as well. "I can go right now and-"

 

"Don't leave." McKenzie reached out and grabbed his hand, holding it tightly.

 

JC looked at McKenzie. "If I can get something to help you Kenz. I don't want to see you in pain."

 

"It's four in the morning JC. The Ibuprofen I gave her will be kicking in soon. Get the heating pad on the worst place first. It will start to relax the muscles. She'll be able to sleep."

 

"The couch can't be comfortable." JC said as he looked at it. He thought his couch was plenty comfortable. Had fallen asleep on it many times. The piece of furniture wasn't an ideal place for someone who had just been in a car accident to sleep. There was plenty of room in his bed. She could sleep on the other side of Rachel. If she was there, then he would be able to take care of them both instead of not being there when McKenzie needed him.

 

"It hurts to move," McKenzie whispered. She could feel the medicine kicking in though. She didn't feel as tense as she had earlier.

 

"I know, but you need to lay in a real bed. Let the medicine and heating pad do the trick." JC spoke softly to her. He rubbed his hand in a comforting manner up and down her back. "We'll move as slow as you need. You hold on to me."

 

Karen stood back but poised to help. She watched as JC spoke softly to McKenzie. His voice low so she couldn't make out the words. His hand continued to move on her back and she imagined the movements were in effort to relax not only the muscles, but the girl as well. The amount of love JC was showing the girl made her heart swell.  He was such a good father. Would be a great father to McKenzie and any children he may have in the future. She made a mental note to tell him that before she left. He needed to hear it incase he had any insecurities. It wasn't easy coming in and raising a child in the middle of their growing. But she knew JC was going to be just fine.

 

*~*

 

"Hey," JC said softly when he saw Rachel's eyes blink open. He brushed his hand across her forehead, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "How are you feeling?"

 

"Sore." Rachel let her eyes flutter shut as she assessed her aches and pains. Definitely sore.  "Why are you whispering?"

 

"We have company." JC nodded in his head signaling behind Rachel where McKenzie was curled up. It had been his spot until McKenzie woke up during the night in pain. He'd been able to coax her up the stairs and into the bed. With the medicine in her system and the heating pad on her upper back, it hadn't taken McKenzie long to fall asleep. For awhile he had sat at the end of the bed watching over both mother and daughter.

 

When morning had dawned he had tried to make the CVS run. His mother refused to allow him to leave. ‘Your place is here with them.' Those had been her exact words. He didn't argue. After all, his mom didn't raise an idiot. His mom had grabbed Tyler to run to the store. When he heard them return, he slipped from the room to see what had been picked up. He had to chuckle seeing the two dozen donuts and Starbucks coffee containers. Before heading back upstairs, he grabbed a jelly filled donut and a large cup of coffee. He needed all the caffeine he could get. There had been very little sleep on his part the night before.

 

Rachel turned her head, grimacing at the twinge of pain in her neck at the movement. She hoped a shower would work the knots loose. Her eyes widened seeing her daughter. McKenzie was facing her, lying on her side. An arm was bent beneath the pillow. The other lay tucked to her chest. Even in sleep, Rachel could tell McKenzie was in pain. She could see how tense her daughter was. "What's going on?"

 

"It's been a long night," JC said, watching as Rachel ran her fingers down McKenzie's cheek tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. There were no words to describe how JC felt. He wanted to gather both mother and daughter in his arms. Hold them. Protect them. Keep them safe. When Rachel looked at him, he explained what had happened only a few hours before.

 

"You should have woken me up."

 

"You weren't in any condition to help. You needed to sleep as well. I was able to take care of her."

 

Rachel turned her head to look back at McKenzie. "I'm not used to having anyone else. It's always been me."

 

JC placed his fingers on her chin and turned her head to face him. He saw the flash of pain cross her face. Her discharge papers were sitting on the bedside table within reach. Next to his coffee. Both of their phones. He had the discharge papers memorized. Once it grew light enough in his room, he read the instructions over and over. The last thing he wanted was to cause an issue with the healing process because he didn't follow the doctor's orders. "It's not just you any longer."

 

Tears filled Rachel's eyes causing JC's face to blur in front of her.

 

"Hey," JC said softly seeing the tears. He brushed one away as it fell from the corner of her eye toward her hair. Her fingers gripped his, careful of the bandaged palm. Bringing the hand to his lips, he placed a kiss on her knuckles.

 

"Help me sit up?" Rachel asked as she tightened her fingers around his. She pressed the fingers from her free hand into the mattress for support. The blankets pooled to her waist as she rose revealing the t-shirt JC had given her to sleep in.

 

"Careful," JC whispered. He wished she would have stayed laying down. Laid there and let him take care of her. He hid his surprise when she leaned forward letting her head rest against his shoulder. He brought his arms up around her and shifted closer, pressing a kiss into her hair. He closed his eyes and sighed, thankful that she was here in his arms. There had been a real possibility the night before that he wouldn't get the opportunity to hold her again.

 

"I don't know how to thank you. Coming to us. Taking care of Kenzi. Letting us stay..."

 

"Hey... no..." JC interrupted her. "You don't have to thank me for that. I love you. I'm gonna be here to take care of you. To take care of Kenzi."

 

"I'm so glad you were there."

 

"Me too." He hoped he never received a phone call like that again.

 

"What time is it?"

 

"Eight thirty."

 

Rachel lifted her head quickly, causing her to gasp and moan in pain. She reached for her neck and grimaced when the wraps on her hands rubbed against the burns.

 

"Whoa," JC reached for her hands and gently held her fingers. "Easy." He cupped the back of her head and brought it back to his shoulder. He kneaded his fingers on her neck, hoping to ease the discomfort.

 

"I need to call the school."

 

"Relax," JC murmured, continued to knead her neck. "I already did."

 

"You did?" Rachel let her eyes drift shut and relaxed into JC's touch.

 

"I got the number from your phone and called. There was an issue because it was me and I'm not on her paperwork. Not sure why that matters to just tell them she won't be there." He shrugged. "But I sicced Mel on them. Which reminds me that you are to call her as soon as you can."

 

"She's a force to reckon with. The administrators keep hoping she'll move out of the district." Rachel chuckled. "Thank you JC."

 

"What did I tell you about that?"

 

"Mom?"

 

Rachel carefully lifted her head from JC's shoulder and turned. McKenzie's eyes were open. It was the only difference. She hadn't moved. "Hey Sweetie," she put a smile on her face and tried to blink back the tears. She ran her fingers along the side of her daughter's face, starting at the temple and down her cheek. "How are you feeling?"

 

"Hurts."

 

"I know. I'm sorry Kenz. I think I'm gonna call your doctor see if I can't get you in. It couldn't hurt to get checked again."

 

"That sounds like a good idea," JC spoke up. He placed his hand on McKenzie's knee. He was all for a doctor checking her out. Not that he doubted the paramedics from last night. Her tears last night scared him.

 

"Do I have to go to the doctor? Karen said all I needed to do was soak in the tub with salt." She scrunched her face in confusion. "Not sure how that helps."

 

A smile curved on Rachel's face. "Not regular salt. Epsom salt. It's different. We can try that. If it doesn't work..."

 

"I don't have anything to change in to."

 

Rachel didn't either. She wanted to shower. Knew the hot water on her body would cure most of her aches and pains. She wasn't looking forward to the water hitting the burns on her arms. "It will probably be easier if we go home."

 

"I don't want to leave," McKenzie said at the same time JC said, "stay."

 

Rachel looked at her daughter's hopeful look then to JC's. ‘Let him take care of you.' Those had been Lance's words last night when he handed her off to JC after bringing her back to his place from the hospital. ‘It's not just you any longer.' JC had spoken only a few moments ago. If she was honest with herself, she didn't want to go home either. "Why do I have a feeling you guys are gonna turn those faces on me an awful lot to get what you want?"

 

JC grinned moving his hand off McKenzie's knee to Rachel's leg. He gave it a squeeze, happy that this time, he got what he wanted. "I got a closet full of clothes. All the sweatpants, t-shirts, and hoodies you could possibly need."

 

McKenzie grinned and very gingerly rolled over onto her back. The bed had felt better than the couch. She wasn't sure if that had caused her to be able to sleep or if it was the fact that her mom and JC were right there with her. "I'm hungry."

 

"Mom and Tyler picked up donuts when they ran out this morning. Coffee too. Knowing Mom, she's probably guarding the donuts so Tyler and Dad don't eat them all. And knowing them, they are probably grumbling about being hungry and how there is enough for everyone."

 

"How about we go save Tyler from starving to death, then you can soak in the tub?"

 

"Okay." McKenzie tossed the covers off and tried to sit up, hissing in pain. Hands grabbed her and she opened her eyes seeing JC in front of her.

 

"Just like last night okay?" JC spoke calmly to her. Getting her up from the couch had been a process. Every time she hissed in pain, a piece of his heart broke. There had been absolutely nothing he could do to make the pain disappear. Unfortunately McKenzie was just going to have to wait it out. First he helped her into a sitting position and waited when her hands clutched his.

 

"I got a headache." McKenzie mumbled as she kicked the blankets the rest of the way off and swung her legs off the bed.

 

"We'll get you some Tylenol," Rachel told her daughter and tossed the covers back.

 

"What are you doing?" JC asked. "I told you to wait. I'd help you."

 

"I got it." Rachel told him and carefully stood up. Her body protested the new position. She wanted to forgo the coffee and donuts and go straight to the shower. She stared longingly toward the bathroom, then turned away. Her daughter needed her. When she got McKenzie settled, she could take care of herself.

 

Hearing movement on the stairs, Karen immediately put her coffee cup down on the table and moved to the stairs. McKenzie was holding on to JC's arm as they took the stairs one at a time; Rachel close behind. Judging by the grip McKenzie had on her son, Karen aborted reaching out for the girl to help.  "Good morning," she said with a smile.  "I have donuts in the kitchen."

 

"Tyler didn't eat them all?"

 

"What lies have you been telling about me?" Tyler said coming out of the kitchen, donut in hand.

 

"None." JC grinned at his brother. "Which you've just proven."

 

"What did I tell you?" Karen scolded her youngest child.

 

"Unless Rachel and Kenzi are gonna eat a dozen on their own, there's plenty." Tyler said taking another bite of his donut. "If they do manage to put away a dozen, I'll go and get more."

 

"I was promised coffee," Rachel said as she reached the bottom step. "If you drank all the coffee, we're gonna have major issues."

 

"Got you the largest cup Starbucks had," Tyler assured her.

 

"Bless you." Rachel took a seat at the kitchen table. Karen placed the Starbucks coffee cup in front of her.

 

"You gonna be able to drink that?" Tyler asked looking at Rachel's arms, still wrapped in the gauze from palm to elbow.

 

"I need it so bad, I'll drink it with a straw if I have to." Rachel told him as she gripped the cup with her fingers and thumb and brought it to her lips. The liquid was still hot but not burning hot. Taking a drink she nearly groaned in bliss.

 

"What's with the mummy look?" Drew asked as he came into the kitchen. "Are the donuts still hands off?"

 

"Stop drooling over the donuts." JC pushed his brother-in-law away from the box of donuts that sat on the island. He picked it up and placed it on his table within reach of both McKenzie and Rachel. "Kenzi, you want a drink?"

 

"Orange juice," McKenzie said as she reached for a jelly filled donut.

 

"My arms got burnt from the airbag," Rachel explained to Drew as JC pulled the orange juice from the fridge.

 

"No shit?" Drew asked reaching for a donut.

 

Rachel nodded. "Doctor said it's not all that uncommon with airbags."

 

"What happened?"

 

"Caught a car on one of the corners. I had a parked car on my side. I swerved. There was just no where for either of us to go."

 

"Your road sucks, C." Tyler grabbed another donut, ignoring the glare his mother was giving him.

 

JC had never really gave a lot of thought to the road he lived on before. It was curvy and narrow as it led up the hill toward his place. His place was on the very top of the hill that gave him the view overlooking West Hollywood. The downside of the hillside was there wasn't room for a bigger road. Some places there was only enough room for one car to pass. Very few houses had driveways. His neighbor did, only because of the land and how the house was built. He did not. His drive was no bigger than the width of a sidewalk before the garage door. Another downside was parking. Visitors (and even residents) had to park on the road. That hindered traffic. An upside to living where he did was the only traffic on the road were of those who lived there.

 

When he purchased the house in 2000, he hadn't been thinking about family life and safety. He'd been thinking about the view and being tucked far enough away he wouldn't have to worry about crazy fans. In the fourteen years since, he had grown used to the road and never gave it a thought. Now his priorities were different. Rachel would be traveling the road often. In a few years McKenzie would have her license and driving. His stomach rolled at the thought. Maybe it was time to think about moving.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: unrequited missionary love daddyjc postsync originalcharacter jc joey lance unclel