Katori

 

"That motherfucker hung up on me!"

I was, again, staring at the lock screen photo, in disbelief at the second person that day to hang up on me. JC had been so... calm and flippant and... calm about stepping into my life and taking care of something that... okay, honestly needed to be taken care of.

But not like this.

The thing was, I wasn't sure, exactly, what I was angry about. If Mitch had sold the building to anyone else, I'd be upset, but not this upset. I was infuriated that it was JC.

Maybe because he'd gone behind my back, instead of talking to me about what he'd planned. And not just behind my back, but he'd talked to people that knew me and would know that I'd never, ever want this.

Maybe because he obviously knew about my past relationship with Mitch Chee- so was he trying to compete? Mark his territory? Pee on me?

Seriously... what the fuck?

I left the shop after talking to Mitch and having my little freak out. Then I came home and was calm enough to call Kaya, but then I got pissed off all over again that she knew JC was going do this and didn't give me a heads up. I was blindsided by my own sister. I was a little embarrassed about how violent my tirade was, but...

I could also guess that Eloise was in on this, and I couldn't wait for Nasaan to get home, because if he knew, too...

Speak of the devil, the kitchen knob jiggled a few times and Nasaan came through the door, carrying a pair of shoes, lifting them so I could see them.

"Took ‘em off, cause I knew you'd yell at me about tracking mud on your floors."

I stood in the middle of the kitchen, next to the table, with my arms folded across my chest and what I hoped was the meanest scowl he'd ever seen on my face. He fiddled with the shoes and his backpack and jacket before he noticed I hadn't said anything and I hadn't moved from my spot.

"What?" He asked, slowly straightening from a bent position. "Mom? What?"

"Did you know?

"Know what?"

"About the shop, the building? About JC buying it. Did you know?!"

The expression on his face, though fleeting, told me everything. "I... so... it's done?"

"Yeah," I snapped. "It's done."

He pulled his phone from a pocket and swiped his thumb across the screen. "Must be what ‘the eagle has landed' meant. I didn't know what JC was talking about."

"So you were in on this too? He told you about my problems and how he was going to just jump in and solve them and you thought this was okay? You thought it was totally fine to just let me get ambushed like that? Am I the only person in this town that didn't know this was happening?"

"Mom-" He started, but I cut him off.

"No, Nasaan! You know me. Kaya knows me. You both knew I would absolutely not want this- "

"Yeah, but none of us want the alternative, Mom.  None of us wanted to wonder what was gonna happen to us if Chee sold that building out from under you. None of us wanted to move if grandpa decided to sell the land and none of us wanted Chee to have it.  None of us wanted to see you lose everything you want, everything you've worked for."

Nasaan took two steps forward, his forehead creased with concentrated concern. "So, yeah. We went behind your back, because you were gonna punk out and hope for the best or some shit. You act like you wanted people to come to you and talk to you about it, but really, mom? If JC sat at this table and offered you money, you would have said no. So he didn't give you a chance to say no."

Nasaan walked back toward his pile of belongings and snatched up his bag, then turned to me again.

"By the way, JC asked me to be around the house more. To look after you, help you out. To not make you worry about me. Then he went into his pocket to make sure you don't lose your dream, to make sure you don't have to go work with Aunt Kaya doing shit you don't want to do. I mean... yeah, I was pissed when I found out about you guys but Mom..."

He shook his head, flicking his eyes up toward the chandelier over the table, then back to me. He shook his head slowly. "He really cares about you. About us. Be mad or whatever. But then get over it. Don't push him away. Let him help you build your dream. I'm gonna need a new bike in two years- I'd love my mom to build me one."

I was... speechless. That was the most that Nasaan had said to me at one time in a long time. Not because he was angry but because he was a teenager and talking to your mom wasn't a cool thing. That he was taking up for JC meant a lot. It was a huge deal. One that I wasn't considering lightly.

"Nasaan..." I sighed. He gave me a look, so I didn't even go there.

Weak, I leaned against the table and shook my head.

"Son... in two years you're leaving for school and if you think you're taking one of my brand new bikes with you, you're out of your mind. You can take the Knucklehead and be happy about it."

A smile crept across his face, stretching his lips wide. And then, in a very uncharacteristic move for the too cool teenager, he moved toward me and wrapped his long arms around me. "Sorry we tricked you, mom," he said, muffled into my shoulder. "But it was the only way."

"Well..." I pulled back, giving him a few pats before he got away from me. "Maybe so. But I still get to be mad about it."

"I guess that's fair. But after that... you're gonna go for it, right?"

I shrugged, frowning. "Don't know. I really haven't let myself think about it, to be honest."

"Mmm," he hummed. "Didn't want to hope too hard?"  

When I nodded, he nodded too. "I kinda get that way sometimes. About dad. About school. About... life. But stuff always works out. Dad always calls or sends a couple bucks and life always works out and school will too.  You get to have someone help you work stuff out. That's pretty cool."

"Must be cool, since you think it's cool."

My stomach growled and I realized I hadn't eaten a thing all day. And as a fifteen year old, Nasaan was legally required to be hungry at all times. "Well,  I was going to start dinner but it's been a long day and I don't feel cooking. I say we use some of the money JC paid me in tips to go to Fat Jack's. Wanna go?"

"Sure. We gotta get something for Aunt Kaya, drop it off at Presby. She loves that place."

"I don't give a shit what Kaya loves. She hasn't made the leap to my good side yet. She can grovel in the morning."

I grabbed my keys from the counter where they always sat unless Kaya - or JC hung them up. "Come on, let's go."

 

 

 

 

Later, I laid in bed, fully awake well after midnight.

For a lot of reasons.

I was overfull, for one. I'd eaten my weight in roasted wings, potato salad and barbecue baked beans and enjoyed spending time with my son. We caught up on school stuff and kid gossip- who was dating who, who he wanted to date, what his friends were up to. And we talked about his dad. Surprisingly, they were in touch.

Even more surprising, he was keeping in touch with JC. It had only been a week since he'd left, so maybe it was too early to be impressed, but I was. He was taking this man-to-man thing pretty seriously. They'd skyped and played games online and texted some. I hoped it continued. But I was also being really careful with my hopes lately.

I rolled to my side and groaned, rubbing my belly and thinking about my conversation with Nasaan earlier. He'd been right; I hadn't let myself really think there was a possibility that Nez Custom could be anything more than a dream. Now that it could be a reality, very very soon, I was overwhelmed.

The project was, in truth, enormous. But somewhere between dinner and a wide slice of bourbon pecan pie,  I started to feel excited about the future. I actually had a future, if I wanted it.

But... could I swallow this huge lump in my throat about JC going behind my back to do it?

I picked up my phone from the nightstand and squinted into the bright glow from the display. I brought up the texting app and then the last conversation, which was me typing expletives at JC until he called me.

WYD? I typed out, before I lost my nerve. I just wanted to see if he was awake.  

It wasn't even ten seconds before the dots started blinking. Really. WYD? Is this a booty call?

I giggled. Goddammit he could always make me laugh when I was mad. It is after midnight. Is your booty available?

For you? Always. What's up?

Still need a video of you in those red pants. You find them yet? Don't think I forgot about those.

LOL. I told you, I threw those away. I can't wear em anyway, I'm fat.

I don't believe you. You have a history of lying to me.

I never lied to you. I didn't tell you things. But I didn't lie.

Lie by omission is still a lie.

Ok I lied. I lied and I was sneaky and I went around you and shouldn't have. But I did. It's done. Now what.

Okay. He had a point. Asshole.  I guess, like you said, now we get to work. Don't want your money to be wasted.

Really? You're not still mad?

I'm furious. I might beat your ass when I see you.  

I hope you mean that sexually.

Pig.

I snorted, then added. I might mean it sexually. And I might mean I will actually kick your Pretty Boy ass.

LOL!!!

Except, in my mind, I really heard him laughing, that gut level cackle that made me warm inside and made me smile. And made me miss him.  

Looking forward to finding out which one I end up with. Was waiting for you to come around so we could decide on a good time for me to come back. Was thinking around the kid's birthday. I want to see him ride that bike.

That's a month from now. It would work.

I'll plan on it.

Silence in a text conversation was awkward, even more than silence on the phone or in person. Was he done talking? Was he waiting for me to say something else? Was he waiting for me to apologize?

You there?

I'm always here, honey.

Fuck, you're corny. :) Can I call you?

A second later, my phone lit up and buzzed. JC's name and face glowed on screen. I slid my finger across to accept the call.   "Hey. Thanks for calling."

"I wanted to hear your voice anyway. You ready for my favorite pickup line?"

"Pretty sure I'm not," I said, with a tired slur to my words but a smile on my lips. "But go ahead."

"Baby, I love every bone in your body. Especially mine."

I hated to laugh at that. Seriously, really hated to laugh at that. But I did. Loudly. He seemed amused. "I'm so glad you didn't use that on me."

"Didn't need to. What are you doing up? You're not really a night owl like this."

"I hate that you know me so well." I moaned at another pang in my belly and rolled over again, toward the window, where the moon was shining between the blinds. "I ate my feelings at dinner. I had... a lot of feelings. And I also had feelings for dessert."

He laughed. And there it was, that warm feeling spreading from my inner thighs and up through my core. Fuck, I missed him.  "What was dinner?"

"Fat Jack's. Can't seem to get enough of that place lately."

He hummed  appreciatively. "Cause it's good. Worth the pain."

"I'm also... thinking. About this whole thing. And you. And Kaya and... everyone, but especially you."

"And... what are you thinking? About me, especially?"

"That I have some pretty great but rude people in my life. I'm pissed off, JC. But... I'm also thankful to not have to worry about losing my shop. You wouldn't believe how long I've been stressing about that. And I'm starting to feel hopeful about tomorrow and next month and beyond that. And..."

"And..." He prodded.  "You realize that I did the right thing..."

"I don't know about the right thing. But like you said, it's done. It was messy and fifty shades of wrong, but it's done. I wanted to say thank you for taking the risk. For knowing I'd be so mad, as mad as I am. And still doing it."

"Well, like you said, I kinda know you. I didn't want to embarrass you or anything, but I had to do something. You would have said no if I offered you money. And then I really would have pissed you off by going around you, because I wasn't going to let you drown."

"You're just determined to get under my skin, on my nerves, all... ass first into my life, aren't you Pretty Boy?"

"Ass first is the best way to go," he said, after he'd finished laughing.

"What are you doing up? Are you working?"

"Nah. Chill night at home in my Hollywood mansion. I ate some shitty faux Mexican and drank a shitty beer and watched a terrible movie."

He chuckled. "I'm actually in bed, about to call lights out. It's late, Tori. Get some sleep and let's talk tomorrow. Start thinking about this project and how we begin. We've got a lot of work to do."

"We do. I actually doubt I will sleep. I might pull out my sketchbooks."

"Good. We'll discuss your thoughts tomorrow. And Tori?"

"Hmmm?"

"Miss you. Even with you screaming that I'm a son of a bitch. Let's Skype tomorrow. I need to see your face."

The line disconnected and he was gone. I sat up and flicked on the bedside lamp, then opened a nightstand drawer and pulled out a set of drawing pencils and a sketchpad.

Time to actually get to work on making my dream come true.




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: originalcharacter jc