JC

 

The next morning, I was groggy since I hadn't slept much. Tori and I were up late, cuddled up on the couch and savoring the last moments together.  At the least, it would be awhile before I'd see her again, so I was doing a good bit of soaking up time too.

I hopped into the truck for the two hour drive west to El Paso, in time to catch an 11AM flight, coffee mug in hand. Tori agreed to let Nasaan skip morning classes to ride with us and Kaya was coming too. So it would be a big family gathering at the airport, apparently.

"You excited to get home, JC?" Kaya asked from the backseat. "At least the weather there is better."

I peered out of my window and smiled at the hills of dirty snow piled up on the side of the road. "It's weird, but I'm kind of used to snow and the temps in the thirties now. Sunny and eighty degrees is hard to beat, though."

"Sounds like heaven to me," said Nasaan. "Like summer all the time."

"Yeah, it's nice. But it's good to come to a place like this. Reminds you that there's lots of places in the world to explore. Encourages you to leave home, see the world. And then it makes going home that much sweeter."

"Well, we hope you didn't have too bad of a time in Cloudcroft," Tori said. "It's not LA, but it makes a pretty nice home."

"Cloudcroft treated me just fine," I said, reaching across the console to land a hand on Tori's thigh. I let it linger a second longer than usual, just to see if she'd freak out that Kaya and Nasaan were in the car. But she dropped a hand from the steering wheel, laid it on top of mine and squeezed.

I was going to miss her.

Sooner than I was ready for, the sign for the El Paso International Airport came into view. My heart sank, just a little. I was ready to go home but going home meant leaving these great people.

I turned in my seat and offered a fist to Nasaan. He gave me a bump and a nod. "You've got my number, right man? Call me, anytime. Really. You too, Nurse Ratchet," I said leaning around the seat to glare at Kaya. She glared back, then smiled and winked at me.  

"Take care, Pretty Boy. Don't forget us."

Tori opened her door and climbed out. I grabbed my duffel bag, which was considerably more stuffed than it had been when I'd left on this trip the week before and stepped onto the curb.  

Had it only been a week? Felt like a lifetime.

"Better head in. You don't want to be late for your flight." Tori shoved her hands into the front pocket of her hoodie and offered me a small, tight lipped smile.

"That's all I get? Get your ass on that plane? After all the... plenty... I gave you?"

Tori's face broke into a smile and her hands came out of her pockets. Her arms opened wide and I stepped into them, wrapping my arms around her, pulling her up against me. "I have your number," I murmured into her ear. "I'll call you. You have my number, too. Use it, okay? I'm never too busy for you."

She nodded, and something that sounded strangled rose from her throat. Then, as if she had to force herself to do so, she pulled away and stepped back.

"Seriously. Go. You can't come back to the house if you miss your flight."

"Alright, I'm going. You... you'll be okay?"

She tipped her head up, which let me catch the tears sitting on the edge of her eyelids, just waiting for her to blink so they could spill over onto her cheeks. She nodded, then sniffled, then came the blink that released a fat tear from each eye.

"I'm- we will be okay. And hey, let me know if you have any issues with the bike. There's a network of mechanics. At least let me refer you to someone half as good as me."

I grinned. "I'll do that." And then, because I couldn't help it, I grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her to me, then dipped my head to press my mouth against hers. She whimpered a little, then melted into me.

We could have stood there all afternoon, but the sound of the truck door opening interrupted our romantic moment. "Okay, alright. You guys had all night to do that lip locking shit," Kaya droned, sounding bored as she opened the door to the front passenger seat. "I need a nap before I go to work this afternoon. Nasaan needs to go to school. We love you, we'll miss you, call us, get on the plane, bye bye bye."

I laughed at her last jab at my sparkly glittery boyband past, but I released Tori and gave her a soft nudge toward the truck. She walked around to the driver's side, swiping tears from her cheeks.

"You love me and you know it, Kaya." She made a sound, then swung her legs into the car. Before she could pull the door shut, I stepped in and gave her a hug, then dropped a kiss on her cheek. "I'll text you any news, okay?" I whispered into her ear.  When I pulled back, she nodded. Then pushed me out of the way and pulled her door shut.

I stood on the sidewalk and watched the truck pull away, then turn the corner, out of sight.

Fuck. I felt like I left half my heart in that truck.

I hiked my duffel bag up onto my shoulder and entered the airport, pulling my phone from my pocket to bring up my boarding pass.

A little over an hour later, I was sliding into the passenger seat of a BMW. Eric must have just had it detailed- it smelled chemically clean and the dashboard was spotless, not a speck of dust on it.

"Good to see you back," said Eric, pulling away from the arrivals lane at LAX. "I was starting to wonder if you were really coming home."

I clutched the seat belt and pulled it across me, snapping it into the buckle. "Of course I was coming home. Eventually."

"Yeah, it's the eventually part I was concerned about." Eric glanced at me, then did a double-take. "Nice beard. You look like a mountain man. You keepin' that?"

"Might," I answered, smoothing down the hairs that covered my cheek and chin. They had softened, and even though there was quite a bit of grey, I wasn't mad at it. I felt a little more... mature with a beard. And, as a benefit, less recognizable.

"Needs a trim. Some shaping. Go to the guy Lance is using."

"Lance is probably using his husband."

"Well, then go to him." Eric flipped his blinker and smoothly merged onto the 405.  "So, you ready for an update on this building sale?"

I slouched in the seat and reached for the cool bottle of water in the cup holder. "I'm drinking this." When Eric nodded, I twisted off the cap and took a few gulps. "So what's going on?"

"Well, I called the guy," Eric said. "Actually, it took forever to get ahold of him. And for all that work, I got a man of very few words. But, bottom line, he said he wasn't ready to sell."

"Shit. Couldn't talk him into it?"

"I'm not done telling my story yet. Sit back and get comfortable. You skipped out on Taos to bang some chick in Bumfuck-"

"Hey, man," I shot, gripping his arm. "Don't. None of that. Don't bring her up again. Alright?"

"Yeah, man. Yeah." He shook off my grip, then sighed and continued his story. "So I said to him, ya know, if you were to sell, give me a ballpark number. I'm really interested in the building. He kinda mumbles around, then says, again, he's not looking to sell yet."

"Damn."

"Yeah. So, I just threw out a number. Lowballed it, in case we can get this building for cheap but knowing he's going to jack up the price. I started at $10K. Figured he'd be insulted. He made some noises, said if he was going to sell, he'd go for higher than that. So I double it. And now he's warming up to me."

"Tell me he eventually agrees to a number."

"Not yet. But I'm talking to him today. I'm going to call him from your place when I drop you off. I'll you something though; he's suspicious. He asked a lot of questions about who I was, how I knew about the spot. I lied and said I worked for a guy that had recently skied up there, said the building looked empty and was interested in making some money."

"Good lie. Almost true."

"Yeah, I was proud of that one. So I got him up to around 35. I think he'll try to double that today, to see if I go for it. And I'm going for it, right?"

"Yep. Way overpriced for that property but if I play my cards right..."

I glanced out of the window and chewed on my bottom lip, deeply in thought. I figured another $50 to $100K in construction and design, putting Tori on the payroll to oversee the project, in the meantime. A couple of custom builds could put Nez Custom Bikes & Repair on the map. She could be on her own and paying me back inside of a year.

At least I hoped, because knowing Tori, she'd want to be off my dime sooner rather than later.

"Well, I hope you play your cards right, because we're getting into serious money territory. Are you going to tell me what's up with this place before we wire money?"

"Probably not," I told him, rolling my head in his direction.

He just shook his head, pretty much used to my last minute whims, like when I wanted to rip out the studio and redesign it with state of the art equipment and technology. But now a ton of artists and producers wanted to use the space. I practically had to reserve time in my own studio.

"I'm just not ready yet. I need to put some plans together, make sure it works. But in the meantime, it provides a short term solution to a huge problem."

"Is... this about the woman? In Cloudcroft? I won't... you know, say anything about her. Just asking."

"Not just about her. About her family. And a business I believe in."

"You think they're going to just let you waltz in and rescue them?"

"No. So I'm going around them. They'll thank me later. I hope."

Eric laughed, one of those belly laughs as he shook his head and squinted into the bright midday sun. "You... are somethin' else."

"I've heard that."

 

...

 

I leaned back in an overstuffed, supremely comfortable chair in my living room facing the TV, feet propped up on the ottoman. Some news program was on, but the sound was muted. Eric was on the couch across from me, scrolling through his phone.

"Swear I saw some guy that looked like JC Chasez with a beard in first class on the flight from El Paso," he read. Then chuckled. "Should I respond to her?"

"Nah. Let her wonder. What time are you talking to Chee?" Eric swiped a finger across his watch to check the time. "Dude, you're holding a phone that tells you what time it is."

"I know, but I just got this watch so I'm getting used to it. I'm calling him in about an hour. You got anything to drink?"

I shrugged. "Dunno. I haven't been here in a week. Check it out and bring me one, if I do."

Eric left and returned a few minutes later with two bottles of Bud Light. I was already missing the fancy IPA that Tori kept stocked in the house.

I pulled out my phone and thumbed out a quick message to Tori: Home. Comfy in my Hollywood mansion. Drinking some swill that isn't that IPA you like.

A few minutes later, three dots started blinking. Priority number one should be getting that shit out of your house and getting some quality alcohol. :)

I suppressed a laugh, since Eric was in the room, but he wasn't really paying attention to much besides his phone. Definitely on the list. And maybe a small bottle of bourbon. Someone turned me into a brown liquor drinker in a week.

In reply, Tori sent a laughing emoji. Then I waited to see if she'd say anything else, but she didn't. It was exactly like her to still keep me at arm's length. I downed a swallow of watered down, nearly tasteless beer, and clicked the button to lock the phone. No matter. Soon enough I'd be so far up her ass she'll wish I'd go away.

"Hey, why don't you give Chee a call? See if he's around?"

"Because our appointment is at-"

"I know. I know. But... let's get this show on the road. See if he's in."

Eric grumbled, but shook his head and used his thumb to flip through screens. He set the phone down on the coffee table and put it on speaker. We listened to it ring a few times and, just when I thought it would roll to voicemail, the line picked up and the room filled with the familiar voice of Mitch Chee. In my mind, I saw him towering over me, his sun-worn dark skin covered in tattoos, wearing something.... biker dude-ish.

"I thought we were talking in a half hour," he said, without saying hello or issuing a polite greeting.

"Hey, yeah... I was just... here and I thought I'd ring you up and see if you were available. Have you given any thought to our chat the other day?"

"Uh... yeah. Problem is, I still have a tenant in the building and she's nowhere near ready to move. It sounds like your guy wants a deal to close yesterday and I can't get her out all that quickly; she needs to find a place to go, and there's not too much around here-"

"Current tenant is not a problem. If she needs to pack up, we can make some concessions." Eric glanced at me, his eyebrows raised, asking, with his face, if he was telling the right lies.

I gave him the thumbs up. "Whatever he wants," I whispered. "Just make it go through."

Eric nodded, clasping his hands and leaning toward the phone. "Okay, so... what number would make you say yes today? It's an empty building, you have one tenant that's moving out eventually. It's gotta be costing you money just to keep the lights on. We're not gonna kick out your tenant before she's ready to leave, so that covers your soft spot."

Silence came from the other end of the line. His heavy breathing was the only way we knew he was still on the line.

"So... what's... I mean your guy. What's he gonna do with the place?"

"Not sure," Eric said, throwing a glare in my direction. "My instructions are to make you an offer you can't refuse. Throw out a number, man. I'm in a position to make this happen."

"Okay." A loud squeak rang out, as if he'd just leaned back in an office chair. I heard the thump-thump of what must have been boots kicked up onto the desktop. "Deal is cash. No credit, no payments. Lump sum to me. You don't kick out my tenant and you work with her on getting her out of the place. We go through my lawyer."

He paused, then said, "Hundred thou. Cash."

My eyes bugged out so hard, they almost popped out of my head. Were it me making this deal, I'd have hung up the phone, then called Tori and begged her to take some money from me to move her shop. This guy...

"Will a bank wire do?" said Eric, not missing a step, though his face was beet red and his hands were clasped so tightly that his knuckles were white.

"Bank wire will be fine. My lawyer will have those details. I'll have him call you this afternoon. I need a wire transfer by noon tomorrow, or the deal is off."

Before Eric could respond, the line clicked and went dead. He heaved an enormous sigh and sat back, sinking into the couch. "Are. you. fucking. serious, dude?"

I was laughing... not because I found it funny, but maniacally so. That number was... so outrageous. I should have expected that from Chee, though. Part of me wondered if he had figured out who the "guy" was.

"Yeah. Unfortunately, I am. If we need to, we can find a way for me to write a check to Leo-"

Eric raised a hand. "I told you, we need to stay on the up and up. You just..." He shook his head. "You just better work your ass off to make this money back. Even if it means you move to Bumfuck to oversee it-"

"Would you stop calling it that?"

"Sorry. Cloudcroft. If you have to move there for a couple of months, so be it. Whatever, but this better pay off, or I will find a way to take a check from you. Angel investor or... some shit."

"Tell you what, I'll set the money aside and if it looks like things aren't going to go like I planned, I'll be happy to anonymously replace the funds. We have the money though, right?"

Eric nodded. "Not liquid. I need to make some phone calls but... yeah, we've got it."

"Just think of it as an investment, Eric."

"An investment that better have a one hundred percent payoff, otherwise there will be a one hundred percent reimbursement."

"Deal."

Eric sighed again, shook his head again, and grabbed up his phone, grumbling.

 




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: originalcharacter jc