I managed to sober Justin up fully with coffee and gingerbread men. We stayed up all night talking and laughing. It had been awhile since someone made me laugh so much that my cheeks hurt. I didn’t mind it though. Somehow we got on the topic of music, and I confessed to having a Gibson in my closet that was never used.

 

“You know that’s a sin right? Break it out, let me see it.” He encouraged, and I dragged my feet into my room to retrieve the guitar out of my closet. When I pulled it out of the case for him to see, his eyes lit up as if it was already Christmas morning. I handed it over to him, and he carefully propped it up in his lap. His fingers strummed the chords. “This is a Gibson Montana Hummingbird. Did you buy it?” 

 

Shaking my head no, I was fixated as he managed to tune the guitar. “It was my dad’s. He used to be in a band on the weekends. He gave it to me a couple years ago.” 

 

“Wow. You have no idea, this is a classic… it was a staple in the 60’s.” He was totally geeking out on me, and it took everything to hide the smirk on my face. 

 

“Are you going to play something for me guitar whisperer?” 

 

He cut his eyes at me before putting the strap over his shoulder. I watched him adjust himself on the couch before his fingers made contact with the strings.

 

“Alright, guess this one…” He challenged. 

 

“Bring it on.” I gave him my best game face and closed my eyes. Instantly the melodic tone of the guitar reached my ears. I felt extremely guilty for leaving it locked up these past two years. I had wanted to learn how to play, but never took the time to actually try to. 

 

I knew the song within the first 5 seconds. He was going easy on me. “ Easy, too easy almost. Killing me Softly. In your face. Next!” 

 

He let out a loud laugh, and my body came alive. I decided in that moment that his laugh was my new favorite sound. “Ok that was your free-be. What about this one…” 

 

Sitting cross legged on the floor in front of him, I realized that I was definitely fortunate to have had him walk in on me in the bathroom. When he played, it was almost a spiritual experience for him and now me. He played with passion even if it was just dealing with a silly game like this one. 

 

I bit the inside of my cheek, not being able to guess this one. “Give me a hint…” 

 

“No it’s a classic come on you  know it.” He encouraged.

 

“I need a hint! Sing it.” I was joking but surprisingly he took me seriously.

 

He rolled his eyes and then licked his lips before lightly singing it. “Well don’t stop here, and I lost my place, and I’m close behind…I’m close behind, well even the best fall down sometimes and even the wrong words seem to rhyme…” 

 

I wasn’t ready for such a beautiful sound. He oozed talent in every aspect, and I felt 100% special. He had no idea at all. My mouth was dry, and I was surprised I was even able to get any words out. “Collide…Howie Day.” I swallowed, and he finally set the guitar aside. 

 

“You cheated. I’ll give you a half a point though.” We sat silently for a moment, our eyes looking into each other. I wanted to look away, but I didn’t. 

 

 

When 6am rolled in I was exhausted from all the laughing, guitar playing and talking. I don’t even remember falling asleep in my recliner. 

 

The brightness of the sun hitting my face woke me up instantly. I sat up in the chair and looked around my empty living room. The quilt blanket was covering me now, and I couldn’t help the sinking feeling in my stomach. I even questioned if the night before had legit happened, or if I had just had some really realistic slightly wonderful dream. “Justin?” I called out in a slightly uncertain tone. When I didn’t get a response, it was my confirmation that it hadn’t happened. I managed to climb out of the chair and shuffle my way into the kitchen. I was so thankful it was my one day off. It was long over due. 

 

While walking past the sink,I paused and noticed the two coffee mugs. Cocking an eyebrow I turned as my front door opened. 

 

“Hey you’re up. I got some bad news…” He sighed as he dusted snow off his coat. 

 

I wanted to pinch myself as stupid as that sounds. “What?” I managed to get out, still half asleep. I definitely wasn’t a morning person. 

 

“The road is non existent. It’s covered in snow. Do you have a plow coming ?” He was slightly out of breath, and I could tell I must have looked like a complete moron just standing there. 

 

“Plow? Fuck me…” I finally made my way over the the window and peered out at the roads. We were snowed in. My car was covered in it except for the top and the front windshield. My guess was Justin was attempting to dig it out and just gave up. I don’t blame him. “You’re going to have to call your helicopter to come and scoop you up.” 

 

He rolled his eyes and gave me a bit of a look. “Don’t do that. I don’t have a helicopter. I wonder if I could rent one though…” He was seriously entertaining the idea of having a helicopter pick him up. 

 

“You’re going to have to. Who knows when the plow will come through. I’m sure you’re anxious to get back to your hotel and stuff. Aren’t people worried about you?” I sat down on the couch and pulled my legs up to my chin. He took off his coat and draped it over the back of my recliner. 

 

I kept my eyes on him as he sat next to me on the couch. We stared at each other and my body tensed as he got closer to me. “No. I kind of like no one bothering me.” 

 

“Aren’t you sick of me yet though?” I teased, purposely bumping my shoulder with his. He laughed and shook his head no.

 

“Not even a little bit. I told you, I like you Ryland.” He had a serious expression on his face as he said this. I felt my stomach flutter and wanted to bury my face in between the couch cushions. 

 

“I like you too.” I mumbled into my knees, avoiding eye contact at all costs. He managed to pull my head up and forced me to look him in the eyes. They were so clear and blue. 

 

“I’m glad you do.” He smirked. I felt his body lean into mine before his lips made contact with my own. They were soft, and I enjoyed every moment of his kiss. It wasn’t too fast or too slow. It felt so good to be kissed by him. He pulled back first, and it took everything in me to not wrap my hand around the back of his neck and bring him back down to me. 

 

“I’m sorry.” He apologized, licking his now swollen bottom lip. “I didn’t mean to do that, well I did, but I don’t want you to think I’m trying to initiate anything…” 

 

I gave him a bewildered look and then pulled my hair up into a tight ballerina knot. “Can I be blunt with you?” I questioned, deciding to throw all my morals out the window. I was 27 years old and hadn’t been kissed or touched by anyone in almost two years. 

 

He hesitated a moment before nodding. “Go head.” 

 

“We’re going to be stuck here for awhile. We can either sit here, watch some Christmas movies, eat everything in my fridge, and lay around, or we can go in my bedroom and I don’t know see what happens. Then we can eat everything in my fridge and watch Christmas movies. Sound cool?” I wan’t usually so straight forward, but when opportunity comes knocking you have to just take it by the horns. 

 

He kept his eyes on me and rubbed his chin a moment as he contemplated what I’d just thrown out there. For a moment I was afraid he was going to laugh, but much to my surprise he stood up and pulled me up onto my feet. “Lets see this bedroom of yours.” 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin christmas