Author's Chapter Notes:
< The bulk of the story is Ryand's POV> 

 (2 years earlier) 

 

I really hate Christmas parties. They always bring out the ugly in people. Too much booze and cookies really breaks a person down. I’m a sucker though and somehow got talked into being a designated driver for one of my best friends Lex. The thing with the holidays is they are completely hectic. At work we had an ugly sweater contest. Of course when it comes to competing I tend to go a bit extreme. I dressed up my wonderful red sweater with battery powered lights, colorful bulbs, shiny green garner, and silver strung beads. The bright side is I did win the fun prize of snowman shaped coffee mugs and hot cocoa mix. The downside was I had no time to rush home and change before the party. 

 

The party is filled with people I don’t even know. Lex has been seeing some guitar player that’s been on tour over the last few months. This is his Christmas party, and it’s packed with all kinds of people in their nice fancy Christmas attire and perfectly done hair. All the while I’m sitting next to the snack table with my lit up sweater and black slacks from work. I’ve been given the side eye one too many times already. 

 

Picking up a candy cane off the tray next to me, I begin to unwrap it as the wonderful sound of Donny Hathaway’s voice fills the room to the tune of This Christmas. “Ry ! Come here I want you to meet Logan.” Lex insists, as she grabs my arm and pulls me up off my chair. I hold onto my candy cane as she weaves me through the sea of people and over to a decorative set up near an 8 foot Christmas tree. 

 

“Lex I really am not dressed to impress right now…” I stated through gritted teeth. Forcing myself to smile as she ignored my plea, I managed to roll with it. Fortunately Logan was already obviously buzzed as he complimented my sweater. 

 

“Logan, this is Ryland. Ryland ….Logan.” She smiled between the two of us as I awkwardly shook his hand. He took a long drink from his red solo-cup. 

 

“Nice to meet you Ryland. I’m really glad you girls could make it.” His focus was more on Lex than me. I don’t blame him. She’s a good 5’9 with a killer ombre of chestnut brown hair and golden blonde, she does yoga every day and her sister’s and esthetician so her skin is flawless. As for me well, I work 80 hours a week, my auburn hair is in need of a root touch up, and I might run on the treadmill every now an again. If that doesn't get them hot and bothered then I’m sure my 5’2 height is what seals the deal. I’m fun sized, it’s cute, but not sexy. 

 

“Glad I could make it too…” My voice trails off as it becomes obvious I have just become the third wheel. Logan has Lex wrapped up in his arms as he pulls her over towards a mistletoe that’s hanging above the foyer. Shaking my head, I decided to take it upon myself to search for the nearest bathroom. I don’t mean to be bitter, but being alone and single around this time of year really sucks. 

 

Walking down a long hallway, I begin pushing open doors. First one broom closet, second one coat closet, third locked, forth…bathroom. Score. I let myself in and waste no time catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I can see why people have been giving me funny looks. I might as well have been tossed off the Polar Express from Christmas town. Reaching behind my back  to try and find the battery pack to switch off the string of lights is more challenging than i anticipated. Becoming frustrated I decide to take off the sweater in order to find the battery pack. 

 

As I’m standing in nothing but a bra and slacks in the guest bathroom, the door opens. I feel my face get hot from embarrassment as I’m staring at a very surprised set of blue eyes. They aren’t just any regular set of blue eyes, they belong to someone very familiar which only makes my face get hotter. 

 

“I…um…sorry. I need to use it though. I won’t look I promise.” He practically slurs. To my horror he lets himself into the bathroom and shuts the door behind him. I grab up my festive sweater and quickly cover the front of my body as I watch him set his red solo cup down on the wash basin. “Get out!” My voice goes up a few octaves from being mortified that he’s in there with me. 

 

“I really need to piss though. Can you just turn around? I’m sorry.. I promise I won’t look..” He gives me a pleading look, his eyes are glazed over and I can tell he is pretty shit faced. Meeting him with a glare seems appropriate as I turn both faucets on in the sink before turning around and pulling my sweater back on.My heart is pounding in my chest as I let him do his business. I want to just get out of there as fast as I can, but of course the universe is a bitch. My sweater catches in the clasp of my bra exposing my bare back. I tug and groan while struggling to fix it. 

 

“Hold on…” He laughs, and before I can object I feel his hands on my sweater as he works to get it out of the clasp. 

 

“What are you doing?” I look over my shoulder at him, only to be met with a lazy side smile. 

 

“I’m saving your life. Hold still I almost got it.” His fingers are warm as they lightly brush against my back. I can smell the bitterness of beer and tequila mixed in with the faint woodsy sweet scent of his cologne. I have no idea what it is but it smells good on him. “There. You’re free.” He declares, grabbing his cup up and finishing whatever was remaining in it. 

 

“Thanks.” We make eye contact for a moment before I turn the handle on the door and leave without so much as mumbling a goodbye. My face still burns from embarrassment. My hands pat at my cheeks while I make the journey down the hallway and into the kitchen. I want to find Lex and peace out now that I’ve completely humiliated myself.  

 

“Hey wait…” He calls out, catching up to me in the kitchen. I look around the room and then back at him as he holds up a shiny green Christmas bulb. “This fell off of you.” 

 

The reflection in the bulb stares at me as I stare at it. “Are you trying to make this the most humiliating night of my existence?” I snatch the bulb from him and attach it back onto my sweater. 

 

“You? I’m the one who walked in without even knocking. I’m sorry…I wouldn’t have if it wasn’t an emergency.” He grabs up a bulk sized bottle of tequila and pours a decent amount into his cup. “I’m Justin.” 

 

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. Of course he’s Justin. He’s the only Justin who happens to have just been on a world wide tour for his album that has sold millions of copies. A co-worker of mine has his face on one of her coffee mugs. Now his face is on the other side of the kitchen island. “I’m Ryland. Thanks again for the assistance back there and for returning part of my sweater.” 

 

“You’re welcome.” He raises his glass to me and downs it like a pro. I watch as he practically walks in a zig zag line towards the back door. Looking around the kitchen, I notice everyone else is pretty much on the verge of being trashed as well. They are oblivious to the fact that Mr. Timberlake has just stepped outside into the snow with nothing but a light sweater and jeans. 

 

“Hey!” Reluctantly I follow him because I would feel partially to blame if an iconic pop star turned into a popsicle. My teeth clatter while I’m watching him attempt to walk through 3 feet of snow in the backyard. Wrapping my arms around my mid section I stupidly go after him in my sweater that is also knit and not very warm. “Justin!” A light snow begins to fall, and he stumbles once and catches himself before turning to look over at me. “Where are you going? You’re going to freeze your ass off out here.” I manage to get out through clattering teeth. 

 

“I’m going home. Tell Logan I had to go…but it was a pretty rad party.” He gives me a thumbs up before completely losing his balance when he steps into a deep patch of snow. 

 

“You’re toasted. Come back inside. I’ll get my friend and I’ll give you a lift back to your hotel or your mansion whatever you’re staying in here.” Trudging through the snow, my hand finally finds his. It’s definitely not warm anymore as I tug it and begin leading him back to the house. 

 

“I don’t have a mansion here.” His tone is defensive, but he takes my hand willingly and I feel slightly awkward as he laces our fingers together. Apparently he’s a very touchy drunk. “I’m staying in Denver.” He keeps pace with me as we trudge through the snow and make our way back into the warm house. 

 

“Are you serious? That’s almost an hour away. The roads are going to be so bad…can’t you stay here with Logan?” I dust off the snow from my sweater and instantly hate the cold wet feeling in my shoes. 

 

“No way, He’s got…he’s got um…some other people here. I’ll find a way…” He pulls his hand free from mine and I watch him practically walk into a wall. 

 

“Wait, let me find Lex.” Instinctively I take his hand again and he gives me a child-like smile before deciding he wants to go with me again. 

 

“I like you Regan.” He admits.

 

“It’s Ryland, and no you don’t you’re just really drunk.” I sigh as I scan the crowd for Lex. 

 

“Do you think tequila makes people drunk?” He asks in a pretty convincing serious tone. I fight back the urge to laugh as we make our way into the living room. 

 

“Yes. I believe it does.” Relief sets in when I find Lex on the couch with Logan and a few other people. “Hey, I hate to rain on your parade, but I think we should probably go now…” Justin’s arm wraps around my shoulder and he pulls me close against his body. I can feel my cheeks burn again as he does this. Lex stares at me for a moment and then much to my surprise she laughs. 

 

“Oh shit Ry. If you need to go I completely understand. I don’t blame you at all…” Her focus is on Justin as he has decided I am his sober friend of the moment. 

 

“What? No! It’s not like that. He needs a ride home… or to his hotel whatever. It’s a long story.” My focus moves over to Logan, who is also completely gone. Like I said, I really hate Christmas parties. 

 

“He’s staying at the Ritz…on..um…” Logan looks towards Justin for confirmation.

 

“The Ritz on the hill…” Justin chimes in. “Regan saved my life. I saved hers first though.” 

 

“It’s Ryland. You know what? We’ll figure it out. Are you coming Lex?” I plead with my eyes, and she quickly puts her wine glass to her lips. 

 

“I think I’m gonna stay here with Logan…” She gives me a sheepish smile and I envision shooting daggers at her out of my pupils. 

 

“Fine. Let’s go Justin.” I sigh,not having anymore energy or patience to waste. “Do you have a jacket or coat or something?” I open up the coat closet near the door where Lex placed ours into, and grab my beige pea coat. Of course Justin picks out a black Gucci coat and manages to pull it on.

 

“Where are we going?” He asks, but follows me anyways.

 

 I take out my car keys and pull open the front door, leading him down the salted walkway towards my car. 

 

“To your hotel. First I’ll get you some coffee though so your ass can sober up.” We reach my mini cooper and I pull the passenger door open for him.

 

“Is this your ride?” He raises his eyebrows at me as he struggles to pull his gloves out of his coat pocket. 

 

“Yes. Get in. The snow’s coming down harder now.” I shut the door behind him and get into the drivers side. Placing the key into the ignition, I quickly turn the heater on and sit for a minute while the ice thaws from my windshield. 

 

“This is a nice car.” He admits in a more quiet tone. He’s still pretty trashed, but I think all the yanking around I’ve been doing with him has sobered him up just a bit. 

 

“It’s my first car. I love it.” I place my cold hands over the vent as the warm air pours out of it. 

 

“I loved my first car too.” He pulls his gloves on, and settles into the seat. We sit in silence for a moment as the the defroster begins to slowly melt the ice. 

 

When I glance over at his profile, he greets my gaze with a lazy side smile. It’s weird to look at him like this. His features are highlighted from my headlight beams. “You have nice eyes.” I instantly want to hit my head off the steering wheel. I have no idea why I just complimented him. I felt inclined to. 

 

He laughs, making me feel even more like an idiot. “So do you. They’re really pretty, I’m a sucker for hazel green eyes.” 

 

My stomach flutters at his returned compliment. I hate myself for feeling giddy when he says it. “Thanks. They were passed down from my grandmother.” I’m relieved when the window has defrosted enough for me to see through. I reeve the engine once before turning the wipers on. “Ready?” 

 

He nods and closes his eyes a moment. “Ryland….” He practically whispers.

 

Quickly I look over at him, impressed he finally got my name right. “What’s up?”

 

“I have no fucking clue what hotel I’m staying at.” A sheepish smile spreads across his face, and I curse under my breath as I back out of my parking spot and head towards the main road. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin christmas