Author's Chapter Notes:
Justin's POV. 

We met on a Saturday two years ago. Thinking about it now still makes me smile. Neither one of us was anticipating the events that unfolded that night at one of my band members Christmas parties. I might not remember it as perfectly as she does, but I do remember the important things.

 

Since then life has taken a lot of twists and turns, but I know that this is exactly what I want. Was there ever doubt? Of course. Even now as I run my thumb over the soft velvet box in my pocket I reconsider doing it. Things haven’t been smooth sailing for us recently. I spend a lot of time away from home, and she has a full time job as a supervisor at a call center. Getting her to even leave work early to pick me up at the airport was a struggle. 

 

Letting out a long sigh, I pull my hand out of my coat pocket as the small jet begins to descend towards the Denver International Airport. I haven't seen her in almost a month, and I know she’s bothered by that. It’s not intentional, but my life is in Los Angeles, and hers is here in Colorado. Granted the distance isn’t far but, it’s still distance between us. Hopefully that will change soon enough.

 

The clouds outside the window are a pale gray and thick. I can’t even see the snow covered mountains below us yet. The turbulence rocks and sways the jet as it descends closer and closer towards the runway. My stomach turns when we take a sharp dip downwards. Digging my fingers into the arm of the seat, I close my eyes and rest the back of my head against the head rest. I fucking hate smaller jets. The turbulence is always ten times worse. 

 

Red lights from the runway finally become visible below us, and the wet snow begins to hit the window. I grab my scarf off the seat next to me, along with my black beanie and gloves. I enjoy the cold every once in awhile, but I’m used to the warm California weather. 

 

 

The wheels of the jet hit the runway strip causing the jet to bounce a bit as it finally touches ground. I pull my seat bet off at the same time that I switch my phone back on.  Glancing out the window, I get a nice view of Denver International. Denver airport and I see a lot of each other. Its  as familiar to me now as LAX. The door opens and I swing my carry on over my shoulder as I make my way down the steps and onto the cemented runway. The cold air hits my face, and wet snow instantly lands on my cheeks and coat. Ryland hates taking a car with a driver to the airport. She likes to remind me that I’m not ‘special’ here like I am in other places. Instead of being met by a black luxury car, I’m met by airport security to be driven to the front of the airport instead. 

 

I take my seat in the back of the white vehicle with orange flashing lights on top of the hood. I keep my carry on with me as we make the short drive to arrivals. Reaching into my pocket I finally pull out the black velvet box all the way. I move it between my two gloved hands carefully. I’m scared that Ryland might not want the same things. She’s headstrong and makes it clear every chance she gets that she doesn’t need anyone to take care of her. I don’t want to just take care of her though. I don’t want her to stop being who she is. 

 

I shifted my gaze out the front windshield and instantly spot her cream colored mini cooper parked along the curb. Inhaling a shaky breath, I finally open the velvet box. The solitaire  diamond shines back at me, and I hope and practically pray that by the end of the night it’ll find it’s new permanent home on her ring finger. 

 

My throat feels dry as I quickly shove it back into my pocket. The security guard opens my door for me and I thank him before wishing him a Merry Christmas. Ryland doesn’t get out of the car as I approach it, but she does pop the trunk for me to toss my carry on into. I dust some snow off of my shoulder before finally pulling the passenger door open and sliding into her warm car.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: justin christmas