The cameras followed her in and when Oprah entered the room, she greeted them warmly.  She gave them big hugs and they all settled into their chairs as cameras readjusted.  The director gave a countdown and they were on.

 

“So, JC, Mollie, thank you for sitting down with us,” Oprah said. 

“Thank you for doing it,” JC said.

“I suppose we should start with your relationship.  The media thinks you two are so mysterious.  We don’t see you out and about, we don’t hear much about what goes on, we only found out Mollie was pregnant a few weeks ago.  How did Jollie, as your fans are calling you, come to be?” 

“Well, we met when I moved in next door to Mollie.  Her dog ran into my house and, for me at least, it was love at first sight.  She was charming and beautiful.”

“You were a dancer on tour with Nsync, right Mollie?  How did that come about?” 

“Not long after I met Josh, I was going on auditions.  To be honest, I had no idea who Nsync was, I was probably the only person in the world who didn’t know them and he didn’t tell me that he was in a band.  So when I went on the audition, I got selected by the choreographer and when it came time for rehearsals, I found out just who the group was.”

“And how did you react?  Did love just grow from spending so much time together?” 

“She wanted nothing to do with me actually.  We’d been flirting a bit before she knew who I was but once she knew she wanted absolutely nothing to do with me.  She didn’t want people to think she was chosen because we were friends or in a relationship.  She wanted people to respect her for the dancer she is.”

“It wasn’t that I wasn’t attracted to him, I just wanted the respect of everyone on the tour.  It didn’t last too long though, I gave in.  And here we are a bit over two years later,” Mollie added. 

“And here we are.  I want to move forward a bit.  How long had you been together when you found out you were pregnant the first time?”

“We’d been together about a year.  It was something we planned but it was definitely a surprise we welcomed,” Mollie said, trying to swallow the lump in her throat. 

“Most people would be scared or nervous.  Dating for almost a year, not planning a pregnancy and then suddenly you get this life changing news…”

“We were definitely nervous but our relationship was solid.  Our connection is strong and even then, at least for me, I knew this was the person I would be with forever.  Even if we weren’t planning a family so soon, it was definitely I something I wanted with Mollie someday.” 

“This is where the story gets sort of crazy.  Your ex-boyfriend, who was in prison, gets released.  By the time you get the call about it, he’s already tracked you down.  Now he was in prison for a violent attack on you, can you tell us about that?”

“Yes, we dated throughout college and toward the end of college we both felt pressures, as most college seniors feel, to make decisions about our lives and our careers.  Mike played hockey and was determined to go pro, so he started using performance enhancing drugs, which led to him takin other drugs to focus in class.  It was a secret part of his life I was unaware of.  Um,” she said, taking a break to breathe as the babies kicked extra hard.  “His personality started changing, becoming angrier and controlling.  Eventually it led to violence.  He hit me and I covered it up.  Wrote it off as a one time mistake.  He apologized…the typical abuse story.  It continued and one night he assaulted me so viciously in his dorm room that I was hospitalized.  I had multiple broken bones, bruises…they said if my friend Johanna hadn’t found me, it could have become much worse.” 

“That’s scary.”

“Yeah, for a young woman just trying to figure herself out, it was terrifying.  Eventually I had to face him in court, where he managed to verbally abuse me some more and they put him in prison.  Unfortunately, I was not notified of his release until it already happened.”

“How did you feel when you had realized he found you?”

“I was incredibly scared.  It’s definitely the one thing about Jayce’s career I hate.  The paparazzi does not care how much personal information they reveal about you and it made me a target that was easy to find.” 

 "Tell me about the night of the attack."

"I'd been hanging out with Johanna and Justin.  Johanna needed to catch a flight so I asked Justin to drive her and I decided to stay home and cook dinner.  I was just about done cooking so I figured I had time to feed the dog before Justin got back.  When I went to look for Boo, I couldn't find him anywhere.  He's a very affectionate dog, when you call his name he always comes running."

"But he was gone?" 

"Yes.  I noticed the back door was slid open.  If anyone had left it open just a crack, it was possible that Boo shoved it open the rest of the way to get outside.  But when I yelled for him I just heard the most horrible voice."

"What did he say?" 

"He said, 'Miss me?' and then everything went black."

"He'd hit you." 

"Yes he punched me so hard I passed out.  When I woke up, I was tied to a chair.  He was sitting across the table from me and eating the dinner I'd made.  He started saying some awful angry things.  He said he wished JC was there so he could get him too.  JC called my phone and he made me talk to him like nothing was wrong."

"And when you heard her voice did you know something was wrong or did you believe her?" 

"I could tell something was wrong.  I didn't know the extent but her voice was shaky and she just wasn't acting the way she normally would."

"What did you feel in that moment, being so far away?" 

"Helpless.  I didn't know what was wrong but I knew I wasn't there to fix it.  I called Justin because I knew they were spending time together and I told him to hurry up and get back there."

"Justin saved your life, essentially," Oprah stated. 

"Absolutely.  I had managed to get myself out of the chair and tried to run away.  He just kept coming at me.  All I could think was I have to save this baby.  But he took me down.  I'd almost made it to the door but not quite.  The last thing I remember is Justin's voice yelling.  He'd come just in time."

"The police report said that Justin had, quote, 'used justified force against the attacker, causing bodily injury, incapacitating the attacker.'  This doesn't doesn't sound like the Justin Timberlake we've come to know and love." 

"Justin is a loyal guy and him and Mollie have been fast friends since they met," JC explained.

"Justin would do anything to protect the people he loves and his thought was to stop the violence.  He was able to do that and get me help very quickly and that's something I'll always be grateful for," Mollie added. 

"But the beating you took caused you to lose the baby.  What were the days after the attack like?  Having to deal not only with physical injury but the emotional stress of miscarrying?"

"It was torture.  I blamed myself, as most domestic abuse victims do.  If I'd never met Mike, never dated him, none of this would have happened.  But in the end, I accepted that there are some things I can't change and I can't control how people act.  I think these babies are a blessing and God's way of telling me, it wasn't my fault."

“As an abuse survivor myself, I know how hard it is to see the positive after being abused and how hard it is to not blame yourself.  I think it’s powerful that you’ve found a way to turn a bad situation around.  Now what do you plan to do with five newborns?!” 

“I have no idea,” JC said, loosening up.  “I was terrified at the thought of one so five is going to be absolutely insane.  I think we’ll just have to learn as we go.”

“It’ll definitely be an amazing journey,” Mollie added. 

“Do you have names picked out?” Oprah asked.

“Not really,” JC said.

“Idon't know what you're witing for but Oprah is a great name, it’s unique.  There aren’t too many Oprah’s out there.”

 

They all laughed and the interview wrapped up.  As the crew worked to break down all the equipment, Oprah wished them well.  They chatted for a few moments and she left.  Once everyone was gone, Mollie climbed back in bed.

 

"How cool was that?!" Mollie squealed. 

"Pretty cool," JC said.

"Oh you're just jaded because you do these all the time.  That was cool."

 

The nurse came through the door with her next meal.  Mollie was getting so tired of eating all of this food.  They had her on 5,000 calories a day and at first, she felt like it would be no problem.  But after a while, it became a chore.  She slowly put bite by bite in her mouth.  When she finished she felt like a balloon ready to pop.  They watched some television and a few hours later she was supposed to eat some more.  JC suggested they get out of the room and go down to the cafeteria, just to get a change of scenery.

 

"Babe, I don't want you to get stared at...and I don't want to get stared at." 

"People will get over it.  I think there's a certain level of privacy that people respect in a hospital," he said, steering a wheelchair her way.

 

She grabbed his hands and hoisted herself up.  She held onto his shoulders as she eased herself in the chair.  The walk was nice.  It was a good change of pace to just move around.  They ate some dessert and talked for a while.  They took the long way back to the room and JC lovingly helped her back into bed.  He crawled in next to her, slinging an arm as far over her stomach as he could, the other one under her neck.  They lay quietly for a while before JC noticed tears.

 

"Hey," he said, reaching up to wipe her cheeks.  "What's a matter?"

"Nothing.  It's just me being selfish." 

"Talk to me."

"Is it horrible that I wish I could have these babies so I can sleep next to you again?  I miss that.  I want to hold you and love on you.  I want to wear my engagement ring again and not have fat swollen fingers." 

“It's not horrible.  You're tired, you've done everything for these babies.  I miss you too.  I don't sleep much when you're not next to me.  I spend most nights that I'm not here in the studio."  He leaned over and gave her a long slow kiss.  "I can't wait to hug you and spin you around."  He kissed her again.  "And love you all night long till you whisper my name."

"Jayce, that's what got us into this mess," she whispered, fingers threaded in his hair, smoothing out the messiness.  

 

She pulled him towards her and his hand cupped her face.  She kissed him with everything inside her that missed him.  She almost forgot about where they were and her huge belly when she felt a ripple of pain.  She cried out, but JC kept his hands where they were and calmed her with his words.  

 

"I think this is it," Mollie said.


Incomplete
SLynn is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Levels also liked 29 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: solojc