“You didn’t tell me you were going to this audition straight from the airport!  I was hoping you’d go to the audition and give me some alone time with neighbor boy.”

 

Johanna had landed in Orlando and as usual had taken over.  Mollie drove them towards downtown Orlando where she’d heard about an open call for dancers.  It didn’t say what the job was for but Mollie didn’t care.  After talking to Johanna on the phone last week, she felt a proverbial kick in the butt.  She couldn’t let her life pass her by, so the first step was getting back to dancing.

            She let Johanna complain for a while before guiding the conversation to what was going on back home with all of their friends.  Mollie hated that Johanna was unhappy in her job but she stayed put because New York was home base for her boyfriend Mark.  He traveled often for his job but when he was home, Johanna tried to spend every waking minute with him.  She didn’t seem quite as excited when Mollie asked about him and she quickly changed the subject.  Mollie made a mental note to pry into that situation later but they were pulling into the parking lot of the audition and Mollie couldn’t believe the size of the line to get in.  Johanna grabbed a spot in line while Mollie ran up to the sign in table to grab the paperwork they wanted filled out.

 

“Are you willing to travel for extended periods of time?  Is there any reason you wouldn’t be able to pack up and go on short notice?  What kind of job is this?”

“I’m not sure, I just saw the words ‘dance audition’ so I came.  I would love to travel but Boo would need to be taken care of… maybe I shouldn’t be here…”  Mollie said as the doubts crept into her mind. 

“Stop it!  I’ll take Boo.  You gotta go at the drop of a hat?  We’ll arrange for him to come to me.”

“You sure?” 

“Mollie!  This could be a great opportunity for you, of course I’ll watch him.  Besides, it’ll be nice to have some company while I’m home alone.”

 

            Mollie nervously continued on with the questionnaire and by the time she had finished all of the questions, she was at the front of the line.  Johanna hugged her and wished her luck as they called her number in.  The room was pretty large, there was a mirror against one wall and a table in front of it.  At the table were three men and two women, stacks of papers in front of them.  One girl stood at the end of the table with a Polaroid camera at the ready.  The dancers were told to hold up a paper with their name and application number on it and the girl snapped a photo.  She attached the photo to the application packet and the choreographer immediately began teaching them a short combination. 

            Her body fell right back into its old rhythm and Mollie let herself get into the music and the moves.  She was having so much fun, she was almost sad when they turned off the music and began separating people.  Mollie was directed to step into a holding room where she found about twenty other girls.  She found a spot against the wall and made sure to re-stretch and stay loose.  She had a feeling she had made the first cut.  They stayed in the room for another half an hour before one of the men from the table called them back out onto the floor.  They were told that they would learn a second combination to add to the first and then they would be expected to freestyle until the music stopped.

            The second combination was a bit more difficult but eventually she figured it out.  Her heart beat fast as the choreographer counted them in but she just let herself feel the music.  It was the most fun she’d had in a long time and when she spotted the video camera watching their movements on the left side of the tables, she sassed it up and made sure to make eye contact with every person there.  The choreographer was tapping girls and sending them home while everyone was dancing and once the group was cut by half, they turned the music off.

 

“I think we’re down to the final group.  We’re going to talk it over, show the tape to the client and we’ll give you guys a call when we make a final decision.  We should know by this weekend,” the choreographer said, dismissing them.

 

            Mollie had the biggest smile on her face as she grabbed her bag and made her way back to the car.  She found Johanna reading a magazine that she’d brought from the airport and squealed as she slid into the driver’s seat.

 

“I made it to the final group!  They’re making final decisions in the next few days and I’ll know but Jo, it just felt so good to be dancing again!”

“I told you it’d be fine!  Now take me home because I’m ready for pajamas and food!”

 

            The girls picked up a pizza on the way home and Johanna set out to line up the perfect movies while Mollie showered.  They got comfy on the couch in their sweats and laid a bunch of junk food out on the table, surrounding the pizza.  They caught up on everything that they’d been too busy to explain over the phone.

 

“So, tell me the truth about Mark,” Mollie said.  “Something is different about the way you’ve been acting when I mention his name.” 

“We broke up,” Johanna admitted.  “I guess I figured if I didn’t tell anyone it wasn’t real.”

“What happened?” 

“It turns out only half of his trips were for business…he was cheating on me.” 

 

            Mollie felt her mouth drop but tried to keep her anger in for her friend’s sake.

 

“I had a feeling the last time he left.  It was pretty close to his last business trip and all of the trips had been coming more frequent.  I decided to confront him and pretend that I knew.  When he came back I just said ‘So how long has this been going on?’  He looked like he was going to try and defend himself at first but then he just shrugged his shoulders and told me that for the last six months he’s been seeing someone else.  When I asked him why he didn’t just break up with me, do you know what his answer was?”  Mollie shook her head.

“He didn’t have another place to live.” 

“No!”

“He said since it was my apartment originally, he’d have to leave if we broke up and he didn’t have time to look for a new apartment.  Four years and he couldn’t do me the courtesy of breaking up with me instead of cheating on me all because he didn’t want to find a new apartment.” 

“I would never have believed it if you hadn’t told me yourself,” Mollie said, shocked.  “Mark always seemed like such a good guy.  I’m sorry Jo, you didn’t deserve any of that.”

“I know…I’m not even that sad.  I’m just angry.  Now I’m stuck in that apartment, reminded of him and aggravated everyday by a job I hate.” 

“Maybe you should change things up.  Quit the job, move down here.  We could be roomies again!”

“That sounds great but…” 

“Just say you’ll think about it,” Mollie pressed.

“I’ll consider it.”

 

            The girls spent the night laughing and reminiscing.  The next few days were spent spoiling themselves: getting manicures, shopping.  On Saturday night, they were ready to celebrate.  Mollie had already loosely curled her blonde hair and was in the bathroom applying her makeup when the phone rang.

 

“Hello?” 

“May I speak to Mollie please?”

“Speaking.” 

“Mollie, this is Wade Robson, the choreographer from the audition you attended on Monday.”

“Hi Wade, how are you?”  Mollie’s heart started pumping and she ran into her bedroom to find Johanna.  She pointed to the phone and mouthed ‘audition’ hoping to get her point across.  She put the phone on speaker and held a finger to her lips so Johanna would be quiet. 

“I’m great.  I’m actually calling because we made a decision on the final five dancers and we would love for you to be one of them.”  Johanna’s eyes went wide and she clamped a hand over her mouth to keep from screaming.

“Seriously?!” 

“Seriously.  Before you accept I have some details to go over.  This is going to be a tour with a music group.  It’s going to be long; right now we have about 45 shows or so.  It’s starting in May and should end by the beginning of September.  There will be short breaks here and there but for the most part expect to be traveling that whole time.  Rehearsals will start in a week here in Orlando for the dancers.  Then the group will join us in mid-April.  Then at the beginning of May we head to New Orleans for rehearsals on the stage and dress rehearsals.  It’s intense but it’s going to be fun and it’ll look really great on a resume.”

 

Mollie’s brow furrowed taking in all of this information.  Johanna kept giving her the thumbs up and mouthing ‘say yes!’ 

“Well…” 

“You have time to think about it if you’d like.  I can give you about a week.”

“You know what Wade?  I think you caught me at the right time in my life.  I need a new adventure.  I’m in.”  Mollie said, not totally sure if it was the right thing but going with her gut instinct. 

“That’s amazing.  We really loved you at the auditions.  You dance with a freedom and passion that is really going to give a spark to this tour.”

“Thank you, it means a lot coming from you.” 

“So I’ll talk to you soon with more details and more exact dates and times.  I look forward to working with you.”

“Thank you so much.  Talk to you soon.”

 

Mollie hung up the phone and immediately stood up and screamed.  She did a little victory dance before pouncing on Johanna.  The two girls laughed until they couldn’t breathe and then the phone rang again.

 

“Hello?” Mollie answered, still out of breath from laughing. 

“Molls?  It’s Josh.  What’s wrong why can’t you breathe?”

“That audition I told you about?  They just called and I got the job!” 

“That’s amazing!  Even more reason to celebrate tonight.  You almost ready?  Everyone over here is getting antsy.”

“We’re a little behind because the choreographer just called so go ahead without us, we’ll call a cab.  Our names are on the list right?” 

“Yeah, I’ll make sure they let you in.  They’ll bring you over to the table when you get there.  See you soon birthday girl.”

“See you soon.”

 

She hung up the phone and went back to applying her makeup in the mirror.  She threw the phone onto the bed in the next room, asking Johanna to call a cab to come in fifteen minutes.  She heard her friend make the call but felt her eyes burning a hole into the side of her head in the very next minute.

 

 

 

“Take a picture Jo, it’ll last longer,” Mollie remarked, applying the last touch of lip gloss.  She walked out of the bathroom, shutting off the light and walked over to her closet, giving her friend a look as she passed where Jo sat on the bed, slipping into her shoes.

 

“Is there something going on with mysterious neighbor boy?  You haven’t let me meet him yet and you get all girly when he calls you up.  I’m not stupid.”

“Nobody said you were stupid,” Mollie replied, slipping into her new dress.  It was a bit more risqué than she’d normally go but Jo had been pushing her to try new things so she bought it.  It was black with sequins all over it.  It had long, sheer sleeves and was sheer across her chest, which showed off her cleavage as it dipped into a deep v.  The hemline was a little short but she was comfortable in it and she could move in it.  She planned on doing a lot of dancing. 

“So what’s the deal?  Are you two a thing?”

“We’re…talking.  I like him a lot.  I think he likes me…it’s just nice to have someone to hang around with.  I’m not really putting pressure on it.  I’m just kind of going with the flow.” 

“So are you going to tell him that you’re leaving on a tour for the next 4 or so months?”  Johanna helped Mollie zip the back of her dress and the two girls grabbed their purses as they heard the cab honk its horn.

“Eventually.”

 

They pulled up to Orchid and the line was down the block.  They felt like such celebrities as they walked to the front of the line and the bouncer found their names on the list.  A cocktail waitress led them over to a table in the corner of the club.  There was a velvet rope surrounding the area and the waitress let them in.  Johanna gave Mollie an incredulous look as they weaved in and out of the people in the roped area.  Mollie spotted Josh sitting atop the booth, a drink in his hand.  Mollie pulled Johanna over to him.

When JC spotted Mollie, his heart stopped for a moment.  She looked absolutely breathtaking.  She smiled when she saw him and he saw her pulling a tan brunette behind her.  As soon as Mollie pointed towards him, JC knew the brunette recognized him.  The confused look on her face gave her away.  He was sure she was wondering why Mollie hadn’t filled her in on who he was but Mollie didn’t know that he was one fifth of Nsync.

 

“Birthday girl!  Or should I say girls?”  He tried to charm the best friend and he didn’t know if it was working.

“Hey!  I didn’t know you were sitting VIP!  This is amazing,” Mollie said, hugging him and letting him kiss her cheek.  “This is Johanna, who I’ve been telling you about.  Jo, this is Josh my neighbor.” 

“Hey Josh,” Johanna remarked sarcastically, as she shook his outstretched hand. 

“Nice to meet the famous Johanna.  Can I get you a drink?”

“Vodka cranberry,” Jo replied curtly.

“Same,” Mollie replied, confused by the icy interaction.

 

            The spent some time mingling with Josh’s friends, drinking and dancing.  The music was loud and the energy was high.  Mollie was itching to dance and she pulled her best friend out to the dance floor as one of their favorite songs came on.  Mollie couldn’t remember a time since she’d been down in Florida that she’d had so much fun.  She had a buzz and she was laughing and dancing with her best friend.  The tempo changed and she contemplated heading back to the table when she felt a hand slide down her hip.  Her head turned and she caught JC’s eye.  She turned her head again and saw that one of JC’s friends had spun Johanna around and captured her attention.

            Mollie was surprised that JC kept up with her.  They moved in unison as his hands played with her hemline.  His fingertips were driving her crazy and she spun in his arms to face him.  With one arm around his neck, she used her other to push her hair behind her and out of her face.  She rolled her body against him, feeling the beat.  JC was totally in the moment.  He didn’t think she realized how sexy she was when she danced.  It was clear she had a passion and natural talent for it and he just had to join her.  The way she moved against him was stirring something inside of him.  She flung her head back in ecstasy and he took the opportunity to seize the moment.

 

“Happy Birthday Molls,” he whispered, only loud enough for her to hear.  The he pulled her to him, one hand cradling her head.  He kissed her lips and she let him sneak his tongue across her lips and past the barrier for a second.  She laughed as she pulled away and let her hands move with her movements. 

 

            Johanna watched her friend from the sidelines after getting completely out danced by Justin Timberlake.  She followed him back to the booth and they got to know each other.  She tried to get some information out of him as they sipped on cocktails.

 

“So Justin.  Let’s be straight with each other.  I know who you are, I’ve heard your music.  So, why does my friend think your friend’s name is Josh and has no idea that he’s one of the most famous people in the world right now?” 

“Well, technically his name is Josh,” Justin said, earning himself a glare.  “If she didn’t recognize him, I doubt JC wanted to scare her off by saying ‘by the way I’m a super famous popstar.’” 

“Okay but they’ve been hanging out for a little while, they’re friends.  Why not tell her now?  Before inviting her out to a club where he would most likely be recognized?”

“Sometimes when you’re recognized everywhere you go, it’s nice to meet someone who doesn’t know or care who you are.  They just want to know you for you.  Then there’s the rare exception of you.  Someone who clearly recognizes but doesn’t care,” Justin pointed out.

“Sorry, am I supposed to bow down?  Beg for your autograph?”  Johanna’s smart mouth got the best of her from time to time and she realized how rude she sounded only after saying things.

“You definitely wouldn’t have to beg,” Justin said, chuckling.  His charm and wit could match her toe to toe but that’s not what this conversation was about.

“So can I trust him with her?  He’s a good guy right?” 

“The best guy.  Honestly, they don’t come better than JC.  Just give him time to tell her.  He’s going to have to explain why he’s leaving for extended periods of time.  I’m sure he just wants to make sure she’s into him before he risks messing it up.”

“I’ll give him a little time to fess up…otherwise I’m telling her.  I don’t want her to be strung along and kept in the dark.”

 

            Later that night, the group piled onto the party bus JC had gotten for the night.  As they pulled up to JC’s house, the rowdy group filed into his house, all content to crash on couches.  Johanna and Mollie said goodbye, thanking everyone for such a good time.  JC offered to walk them down the path between the houses and after Johanna went inside, he turned to Mollie.

 

“So, did you have the best birthday ever?”  he asked. 

“I did.  Thank you so much for inviting us out.  I had the best time…I didn’t know you were such a good dancer!”

“Well, I can keep up with you, so I guess I’m alright,” he replied.  The moment lulled and he handed her the little bag he’d been carrying on their walk.  “I got you something.  Don’t open it tonight, I want you to be sober when you open it.” 

“You didn’t have to do that Josh.  Really.  Getting us into Orchid was enough.”

“I wanted to.”  He leaned down and kissed the corner of her smiling mouth.  “Goodnight birthday baby.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love firsttime tour abusiveex boyfriendjc tourjc jc dancer celebrity first time