The next day JC and Tyler powered through the rest of the unpacking and Tyler decided to head back home early.  He needed to pack his own things before heading out to California.  JC had paid for Tyler’s college tuition so he didn’t want him to be late getting out there.   It was nice to be able to help his family out when they needed it.  Now that he was left alone, however, all he could think about was Mollie.  He headed up to the shower, washing away the day’s dirt and grime.  After he showered he tried to think of one reason not to go over and meet his new neighbor.  He couldn’t stop thinking about the adorable way she blushed and he wanted to meet her…officially.

            He walked the path between their houses and climbed the three steps on her porch.  He lifted his hand to knock on the door and was suddenly nervous.  This was crazy.  She was going to think he was a psycho.  Before he could turn around and change his mind, he heard the dog barking on the other side.  He made a mental note to never underestimate that dog.  He gave in and knocked, deciding it would be better to embarrass himself face to face than let her catch him running back to his house. 

            She answered the door, looking casual in a pair of cutoff shorts and a flowy white tank top.  She gave him a nervous smile before speaking.

 

“Hey, Josh right?” 

“Yeah, hey Mollie.  Sorry this might be weird but I was thinking of ordering a pizza and thought maybe you’d want to share it?  We didn’t really get to meet yesterday, I just thought I’d ask…”  He mentally kicked himself for how dorky he sounded. 

“I’d love to but a pizza takes like an hour to get out here; downfall to the secluded paradise.  I’ve got the grill fired up, feel like a burger?”  Mollie was surprised at the ease with which she spoke with him.  She had decided after her conversation with Johanna to be bold and try and make a new friend in Josh.

“I’d love one,” he replied. 

 

His smile grew wide as she opened the door further to let him in.  Her house was formatted the same as his, just flipped 180 degrees.  She led him into the kitchen, where he saw the package of chop meat on the counter.  He slipped into one of the stools that lined the counter and tried to make the situation less awkward.

 

“So how long have you lived here?”

“Just about 4 years.  It was my grandmother’s home and when she passed away she left it to me,” Mollie explained. 

“And the thought of living alone on a lake with no one around sounded good to a young twenty something?”  Shit.  That sounded like he was criticizing her.  Why did she make him so nervous?

“At the time, yes.  I had a lot going wrong so the idea of leaving it all behind sounded really good.  How about you?” 

“Kind of the same thing,” he replied.  Mollie raised an eyebrow at him as she formed patties in her hands.  “A lot of things were going wrong and I needed a hiding place.”

“Well you found a good one.”

 

 JC slipped out of his chair and followed her out onto her deck.  The grill was hot and she threw the burgers on to get going.  He leaned against the picnic table that was nearby and watched her.

 

“So what do you do besides ‘leave it all behind’?”  He was getting a bit more relaxed and the conversation began to flow. 

“I’m just looking for my next step in the world.  I dance…but I haven’t gotten a job in it for a while.  I’m thinking about auditioning again, I heard about one happening later in the week.”  She flipped the burgers and looked at him suspiciously.  “I have to admit, Josh, you look kind of familiar.”

 

JC’s heart beat fast, panicking.  He really hoped she couldn’t recall where she’d seen him before.

 

“Well I can say with certainty that this is the first time I’ve ever met you,” he replied. 

“Why’s that?”

“Because I would never forget eyes like yours.”

 

 It took a minute for Mollie to recover from this hint of flirting.  She grinned and asked if he would like a beer.  He nodded and she went inside to retrieve the beers and some fixings for the burgers.  The chill from the refrigerator hit her skin like a sharp knife.  He had thrown her off balance but she was determined not to let him get the best of her.  They had easy conversation throughout dinner and the sun dipped low in the sky.  He almost wished he didn’t have to walk back over to his house.

 

“Well thank you for a great burger.  I’m glad I have such a hospitable neighbor.” 

“You’re welcome.  I’m just glad I have an actual neighbor,” she replied, giggling.

“I’ll see you around Miss Mollie.” 

“Yeah, I guess you will.”

 

 Mollie waited until the darkness kept him from view before shutting the door.  Boo looked at her with an accusatory glance.  She shook her head at him and continued on her way up the stairs to her bedroom.  She yanked off her clothes, tossing them all in the tan hamper in her closet.  It had been a nice evening and she smiled to herself as she threw on an oversized t-shirt and crawled into bed.

 

 Mollie found herself being drawn to Josh’s house and hanging out with him as much as possible.  They went to town together and often found reasons to see each other.  More so Josh than her, but she wasn’t complaining.  It was the night before Johanna was supposed to arrive and she was on the phone with her friend, who was rushing to pack.

 

“I can’t believe you actually introduced yourself.”

“More like he introduced himself.  He kind of invited himself over for dinner; kind of rude if you think about it,” Mollie mused. 

“But you’ve been hanging out…and you like him?”

“I do but...” 

“No but!  Leave it at that.  Invite him to come out with us for our birthday.  I want to meet this fine hunk of man.”

“Hands off, Jo.” 

“All I gotta say is I hope he has some fine ass friends.”

“It’s always about you, huh?”  Mollie laughed and heard a knock on the door.  “Hold on, I think he’s here.   Come in!” 

JC came sauntering through the door, a DVD case in his hands.  She waved him over, pointing at the phone and giving him the ‘just a minute’ signal.  He nodded but held up the DVD and mouthed ‘I found it!” 

“What time do you land tomorrow?”

“I’m supposed to be landing at 2 so make sure you’re on time!” 

“I will Jo, besides I want you to come with me to this audition.  I can’t wait to see you.”

 

Mollie hung up the phone, truly excited to see her best friend.  This had been the longest stretch they’d been apart and she hated it.  Sticking her phone on the coffee table, she turned her attention to the excited, overgrown child who was practically bouncing up and down on her left.

 

“I found it!  Remember you told me you hadn’t seen it?”  He held up a copy of Star Wars.

“Did I say I wanted to see it?”  She asked, a pained look on her face. 

“Actually you said you had no desire whatsoever but that didn’t stop me,” he replied, smirking.  “So was that your friend Johanna on the phone?”

“Yup, she’s coming here tomorrow for our birthdays this week.  They’re two days apart so we always celebrate together.” 

“Seriously?  How old are you going to be?”

“You’re not supposed to ask a lady how old she is.” 

“I’m 24,” he offered.

“I’ll be 24.” 

“You should come out with us this weekend.  A bunch of my friends are coming, kind of a night to let loose before work starts getting really crazy.  Should be a good time; we’re got a table at Orchid.”

“Orchid?!  You got a table?  It’s impossible to get in there!”  Mollie’s eyes went wide.  She and Johanna had been dying to get in there but it was always packed out.  It was the place to be in Orlando.  “How’d you get in?” 

“I have some connections.”

“With who?  What do you do for a living?  You’re not in the Mafia are you?”  She was only half joking.  It just occurred to her that he never divulged his occupation. 

“I’m in the music business.  A friend of mine sort of owns the place.”

“No shit!”  Mollie’s hand covered her mouth as a chuckle escaped.  She rarely cursed.  “Then count me and JoJo in!”

 

JC smiled and managed to convince her to repay him by watching the movie.  He could tell her mind was racing and she wasn’t focused on the movie but he managed to sneak a little closer to her on the couch and that was good enough for him.  This weekend should be fun…until she realized who he was.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love firsttime tour abusiveex boyfriendjc tourjc jc dancer celebrity first time