Author's Chapter Notes:
...or are they?

The next morning, the sky was eerily quiet.  Mollie had been hoping to sleep in but her eyes opened and she felt wide awake at 8:15.  She made a cup of tea and turned on the morning news.  She was trying to wait until 9 to call JC but she couldn't wait anymore so she dialed his number at 8:40.  He seemed groggy but excited to hear from her.  They chatted for a few minutes about their flights and the million things they had to do to get their homes in order until Mollie heard a loud 'boom' and felt the whole building shake.

 

"Oh my god!" she gasped. 

"Baby, what was that?" 

"I don't know the whole building shook," she said.  Mollie yelled for Johanna, who had stumbled into the room with a confused look on her face.  She grabbed the remote and cranked the volume on the news as she saw smoke start to filter past the windows.  Johanna went over to the windows and glanced around and turned around with a horrified look on her face.  "Jo, what's going on?"

"It's coming from the World Trade Center.  The smoke is getting thick, I can't see it but it's definitely on fire." 

"Breaking news right now at 8:50 on Tuesday September 11.  The North Tower of the World Trade Center has just been struck by a plane.  Witnesses are calling in and saying the plane crashed into it just a few minutes ago and smoke is thick throughout the area.  We advise people to take precautions and remain where they are.  We'll update with instructions from law enforcement as they come in."

"Jace, a plane hit the World Trade Center.  Turn on the news."

 

There was silence as the three of them let it sink in.

 

"How close are you?" JC asked. 

"Close enough."

"Get out." JC said, panic setting in.  "If a plane hit a fucking building then that building will come down.  Especially if it's burning. Put me on speaker." 

"You're on," Mollie said, hitting the button.

"Jo, you hear me?" 

"Yeah," she replied, crying.

"Grab a backpack, or some bag that will be easy to carry." 

"I've got my dad's old army ruck sack," Jo said.

"Good.  Get it and I want you to put anything that you want to save in it." 

"JC, you're talking like we're going down."

"Jo, I don't know what's going on!  What kind of trained pilot flies his plane so low it hits a building?  I'm not letting the two of you get caught in this.  The sooner you get out, the sooner you can be somewhere I know you're safe.  Think hard about what you need to save.  Important documents, family photos.   Try to only keep what you'd really miss.  You've got to carry it out of there.  Go do that while I tell Mollie what to do," JC said.  Johanna was in a trance but backed away and started rifling through things.

 

"Baby, are you listening?" 

"I'm here," Mollie said, trying not to sob.  There were tears rolling down her face.

"Plug in your phone.  I want you to have full battery.  After you do that, take stock on the kitchen.  Does Johanna have water bottles?" 

"Yes."

"Put them in your back pack.  You have space.  You didn't bring that much with you.  Then I want you to see what kind of portable snacks she has.  Things in bags that you can eat on the go.  Put a bunch in there." 

"Okay," a few minutes later Mollie got back on the line.  "Done.  Josh, I'm scared.”

 

JC knew she only called him Josh if she was really serious.  He could feel his heart racing, watching the footage on loop on the news.  He tried his best not to get overwhelmed.

 

"I know you are sweetie but you're going to be alright.  Tell Johanna to grab some clothes.  Athletic type stuff, things you can move in.  You guys are around the same size so you can share.  Both of you should dress in something you are comfortable in."

 

JC waited patiently as the girls completed his instructions.  It was hard knowing he couldn't be there to help but he had to keep his wits about him.  It was harder to be in it and think straight than it was on the outside.  Before the girls came back to the phone, the live feed on the news showed another plane hitting the other tower.  JC wanted to throw up.  He screamed for Mollie into the phone.

 

"Josh I'm here.  We need to hurry the smoke is getting so thick!"

"Baby.  Are you guys dressed?  Sneakers on, got everything I told you to get?" 

"Yes!"

"Okay, Johanna, if you have bandanas or scarves, grab them.  You need one, Molls needs one and you should find something big enough to cover Boo's nose." 

"I have his muzzle for when he flies here," Mollie said.

"Put that on but make it loose, we don't want to suffocate him.  Grab some of his food and put it in a zip top bag.  Then tie the bandanas around your faces.  Like you would in the snow.  Cover your nose and mouth.  It will help you breathe through the smoke." 

"Okay we've got everything."

"Baby, I want you to leave.  I don't care what the news says.  Get out of the building and head in the opposite direction of the World Trade Center.  Don't run or exhaust yourselves unless you see danger coming."

 

Johanna had just hung up with her parents.  They were scared and told her to leave also.  She told them she loved them and said her and Mollie were heading out and promised to call as soon as she could.

 

"Josh stay on the phone with me," Mollie said, crying. 

"I can't baby.  I need you to save the battery so you can use it for emergencies.  Walk as far as you can go.  Try and head towards New Jersey."

"Josh." 

"Mollie. I need you to do one last thing.  Get a pen and paper.  Write down my parent's address, if you can eventually get to a car or train or something, I want you to go there. It's the closest place I can think of to New York that you'll be safe and cared for.  I'm getting in the car and driving there right now.  I will see you there.  Shut your phone off to save battery.  Be safe and stick together. I love you."

"I love you too," Mollie replied, barely whispering. 

"Go." JC replied before hearing a click.  When the line disconnected, all he could think about was getting to her.  He called his mom who he knew would be home. "Mom?" He said when she picked up.  He began to cry.

"Joshua please tell me you've heard from Mollie!  I just turned on the news.  I can't believe she's there right now." 

"I talked to her.  I told her and Johanna to leave their apartment, they're so close to the towers.  They're walking as far away as they can get.  I'm scared."

"Oh Josh, I know you are honey. She's a smart cookie that Mollie.  I know she'll be alright." 

"I couldn't think of anyone closer to New York than you guys.  I gave her your address and told her to head there."

"Okay.  Oh my gosh.  I'm calling your father right now.  Josh honey, you get in the car and come up here.  All we can do is wait now."

 

JC hung up the phone and immediately dialed Justin.  Justin was home for a day or two before he was supposed to fly out to LA and see Britney.  He lived the closest to JC and JC didn't think he could do the drive alone.

 

"JC, please say you have good news about Molls," Justin answered. 

"As of now they're fine.  They left the apartment and are headed away from the towers.  I need to get to my parents house.  I told Mollie to go there if she can get out and find a bus or a car.  Man I'm so scared I don't think I could drive by myself..."

"I'll be there in twenty minutes."

 

On auto-pilot, he ran around grabbing things he might need.  He was on the porch waiting when Justin pulled up.  He hopped in, tossing his bag in the back and Justin sped off.  Their ride was quiet for the most part and JC flipped on the radio.  All of the stations were broadcasting news.  One of the towers had collapsed while he was busy calling people and getting ready to leave.

 

“Shit,” JC muttered.  “If she gets hurt I don’t know what I’m going to do.” 

“They’re gonna be okay.  They’ve got to be okay.”

 

They kept driving, the news just sounding worse and worse as they went.  JC clutched his cell phone, waiting for any sign of good news.  When it rang, he jumped out of his skin.

 

“Hello?!  Oh hey mom,” JC said.

“Joshua, your father left work.  He’s driving up there right now.  He doesn’t know how close he can get but he’s going to try and get as close as he can.  When he figures it out he’ll call us so if Mollie calls, we can tell her where to go.” 

“Really?”

“Yes really.  Joshua.  This is the woman you love.  And we’ve grown to love her too.  We’re going to do whatever we can to bring her home.” 

“Thanks mom.  I’ll let you know when we’re getting closer and if I hear anything.”

 

Josh hung up, wondering how he lucked out and got the best parents in the world and praying that Mollie would make it out of the city alive.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love firsttime tour abusiveex boyfriendjc tourjc jc dancer celebrity first time