Story Notes:

special thank yous to creativechaos for the encouragement and for beta'ing for me and to luvly for the creative/storyline help. you ladies are the bomb dot com!   

 

*rated PG-13 for some mild language

*also, i took some creative license. the Disney parade isn't actually filmed on  Christmas day, but it worked so I went with it.  

Joey sauntered up to the heavy wood door and paused, key in hand, before unlocking it. He reached out and adjusted the poinsettia wreath hanging there. It would be OK. It was a change in plans but things happened sometimes. She would understand. He took a deep breath and inserted the key in the lock.

Pushing open the door, he called out, "Hey, babe, where are you?"

"Back here!" The reply came from somewhere in the vicinity of the family room.

After tossing his keys into the bowl on the table in the foyer, he followed the voice to the back of the house. Having pushed the black ash coffee table out of the way, Melissa was seated in the middle of a mass of Christmas decorations that were scattered across the slate and ivory area rug. There were glittery ornaments of varying size and shape--from huge silvery balls, to bright blue snowflakes, to crystal and gold stars. Coils of sparkling beads in red wound down from the gray sectional behind her and onto the floor. The container they'd all emerged from was slightly off to the side.

"Wow!" Joey gingerly tiptoed amidst the Christmas explosion on the floor and leaned in to plant a quick kiss on her lips. "You've been busy." He retraced his steps out of the colorful mess and perched on the arm of the wraparound sectional.

"Yeah, well, Christmas is less than a month away and the only thing we've done is decorated the outside--and that barely counts since we paid someone to do it for us. Besides, I needed to see what we have already so I can see what we still need to get."

"I'm guessing nothing?" His forehead crinkled as he took stock of the items scattered everywhere.

Ignoring his quip, Melissa paused in sorting through everything and looked at him. "I want to know all about your meeting, but I have something to tell you first."

Joey nodded, grateful for the reprieve. He needed more time to consider his approach anyway. "What's up?"

"Well, um, there's been a change of plans for Christmas Eve." She peeked at him furtively. "Holly's on bedrest, and probably will be until she goes into labor--which they hope won't be for at least another three or four weeks. But that means that I have to work."

She continued rapidly. "Lucy's already assured me that she and Gus and the others will handle the bulk of the cleanup afterward, so I should be completely ready to walk out the door no later than seven. And I already talked to Alicia and she says Chris suggested starting dinner later. I know it's not exactly what we planned, but it'll be OK."

Every year she coordinated a Christmas Eve dinner and food pantry for the community center. Every year the event grew bigger because of her huge heart for helping others. Practically all year round she prepped and planned for the dinner, doing outreach and generating buzz. That year, some of the most exclusive restaurants in the city were donating food. Thanks to her generosity, and sheer willpower, not only would hungry people from all over the city be fed for the holiday, but they would go home with boxes and bags of food for the coming days and weeks. And that was saying nothing of the huge clothing and gift drive she had also organized. Needy families would have gifts for their children ranging from the whimsical to the necessary.

She was, he thought, amazing. And he was lucky.

Melissa was happy, animated. Hands punctuating every expressed idea. Her green eyes shone brightly. She had made plans, Joey realized, his stomach dropping to his feet. Big plans.

She described how Christmas Eve was going to be perfect despite the fact that she wasn't supposed to be working. And it made sense, she reasoned, that as the coordinator for the whole event for the past five years, it only made sense that she would oversee everything in Holly's absence.

She was excited and Joey was not completely paying attention to what she was saying; he loved watching her talk. Especially when she was happy. And he knew that, with his news, her happiness was sure to be short-lived. She was nodding, glossy blonde strands bouncing, the rectangular plastic container (one of about a million) of decorations forgotten in front of her. She held a particular ornament in her hand, two bears--he in a tux and she in a white dress--kissing. The loopy gold manuscript on front spelled out their names, and wedding date. He didn't remember who gifted them with the cheesy thing, but he knew she loved the silly thing. And that every year, for the past five, it hung on their Christmas tree in the most prominent place she could find.

Melissa continued to talk, and Joey continued to watch the bears move in her hand, feeling nauseated in the pit of his stomach. He was about to break her heart.

"Mel," he said haltingly.

She stepped mid-sentence, looking at him quizzically, her smile slipping slightly.

"I, um...that meeting that I had today? This morning?"

She nodded slowly, and he could almost see the gears turning in her head as she tried to anticipate what he was about to say.

"Well, um, you know it's in my contract that a couple times a year I have to do network specials, right? And, uh, well, you know they said it could be any kind of special. Like, something for the holidays or--"

"Joey," she said, interrupting him, "whatever it is you're about to say, stop dragging it out and just say it."

"Rip it off like a band-aid," he muttered. "I'm co-hosting the Disney Christmas parade. In Orlando. I have to leave Christmas Eve so I can be there to tape Christmas Day."

She stared at him blankly and he continued.

"I had it all worked out in my head that you'd just come with me, and even though I know you really wanted to be here to celebrate in the new house, I figured it wouldn't matter as long as we were together. So I...I went ahead and agreed." He shrugged dumbly.

Melissa's eyes narrowed and she set the kissing bears down on the coffee table in front of her. She pursed her lips and those beautiful emerald eyes he loved clouded over. She could see everything he hadn't yet said right on his face; he knew, because she knew him better than anyone.

Christmas was her favorite time of year. And she had been looking forward to that particular Christmas, as it was the first one in their new home. From the painstakingly designed Christmas lights and decorations outside, to the plans she had for inside. From the dinner she had organized with their closest friends, to the fact that more than anything, this year she wanted to commemorate the occasion by spending their first Christmas in their beautiful new home, together. Alone.

And he had ruined it.

"Say...something, baby." He waited, almost holding his breath. He would've loved a litany of curse words to come barreling at him. In some twisted way he would have felt better if she had raged and screamed and showed him how angry she was.

But she didn't. And, he knew, she wouldn't.

But she was angry. The hard set of her jaw and the almost imperceptibly steely glint in her eyes told him everything he needed to know. And he understood it, completely. It was, after all, Christmas. It wasn't like, Sweetest Day, or some other not-quite-real, made for Hallmark holiday. It was Christmas. And he wouldn't be there.

"Mel," he said, kind of hating himself for the extremely patronizing tone of voice he'd taken. "I'm sorry, baby. I just...I messed up. I should've called you first and..." He closed his eyes and squeezed the bridge of his nose. "Please say something?"

She took a deep breath and pushed herself up from her position on the floor. "I need some air," she said simply, before stalking out of the room.

"Melissa." He was met the sound of the front door opening and closing.   


***


"Florida, Chris! He's flying to Florida on Christmas Eve so he can host the freaking parade! And he didn't think he maybe should've cleared that with me first!" Melissa emphasized her point by slapping her hand down on the granite countertop.

"Here, honey, drink this." Alicia set a steaming mug on the island in front of her friend. "It's chamomile. It's supposed to be calming."

"I don't need calming tea. I need my husband to not be flying out to Orlando on Christmas Eve." Still, Melissa wrapped her hands around the mug and, bringing it to her lips, took a tentative sip.

"Maybe he can get out of it," Chris said. He leaned against the counter opposite the kitchen's center island. "Or maybe you can get out of work?"

Alicia fixed incredulous brown eyes on him. "Chris. Have you not been paying attention to anything she's said? She's got the Christmas Eve dinner at the community center. She has to be there."

He picked at a hangnail and was silent for a moment before looking up. "Well, did Joey at least see if he could get out of it?"

Melissa set the mug down and frowned at him. "I didn't ask him; I just left. But the way he said it...it sounded like a done deal." She groaned. "So much for our perfect first Christmas in our perfect new home."

"Oh, honey." Alicia squeezed Melissa's shoulder affectionately. "I'm sorry."

Chris was thoughtfully quiet for a moment, absently rubbing at his goatee. "It'll work out," he said with an air of finality. "Just...wait and see."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: christmas joey chris