Author's Chapter Notes:

i know this is a really short chapter but it's to start setting up for things to come.  i am gathering my thoughts for the next chapter and i am liking what will happen...

Hope you will too  

Kerri sighed as she crawled out of bed. She stretched as she got out and looked down at her feet.


Yes feet. Two weeks ago she finally got the cast off her foot. She got up and went into the shower to start her day.


She was under the water letting the heat relax her body.


To say the past month was tough was putting it lightly. She had been with the lawyer for the past month preparing for the trial against Alex. She had to on many occasions retell her stories over and over again. Stories that Justin never knew until the days she was telling them both. She felt sad that he had to find out this way. They were stories only her friend Alicia knew because, well she was the nurse that would take care of her every time she showed up to the hospital injured. The other person of course was her mother.


She finished her shower and walked out to her room and saw she had a text. She opened her phone and smiled as she sat on the bed reading the text.


Good morning sweetness.


She smiled as she replied back


Good morning Josh. How are you this morning?


it didn't take more than two seconds for him to reply back


Now that I am talking to you, getting better. .


Kerri rolled her eyes as she typed back,


Real smooth, you need better pick up lines.


She typed then put her phone down and went to grab clothes for the day. She got dressed and then went back to the phone and typed another message to him


So what are you up to today?


She heard his laugh and then grabbed her socks and sneakers and walked to out to the kitchen and saw him sitting at the table with Jess and Justin.


“What the hell are you doing here?” She said as her face lit up at the sight of him.


“Well I was here to see if you guys were doing anything today.” HE said walking to her and giving her a hug.


Kerri felt his arms around her and relaxed. It shocked her how she felt so relaxed around him. He made her feel safe and cherished and well...like she could be herself.


Justin smiled as he said, “Kerri and Jess have been begging me to take them to the Santa Monica Pier. Kerri more than anyone being that she's not cast free and feeling good.”


Jessica smiled as she saw her give Justin the look as if she was saying, “shut up”

“Hey I am up for some fun today. How bout it Kerri?” he asked as he looked into her eyes as he said, “I know you well enough to not turn down a day of fun at the pier and going on rides and just having a good time.”


Kerri smiled at how he was happy to doing something so child like and was excited to. “I'd love to, let me just grab my bag and we'll go.”


The ride over to the pier was fun as Kerri sat in the back of Justin's Escalade. Kerri was laughing at how JC was giving Justin crap about his driving.


“C, man shut the hell up. You drive worse than I do and you know it.” Justin grumbled as he kept going.


“J, you make me look like a saint driving. You have been playing with the radio for the past 15 minutes and you are driving faster than Dale Jr. I am tellin ya he would be afraid to sit in this car too.” JC said as he was starting to laugh.


Kerri smiled as she said, “Hate to tell ya this sweet brother but JC does have a point.”


Justin looked in the back mirror at Kerri then JC laughing and heard Jessica snicker as if she was agreeing. “Screw you all!”


“Aw my brother is being picked on, poor big old bad Justin.” Kerri said as she patted him on the back.


JC smiled as he pulled her back and said, “Better watch he might get even with you.”


Kerri whispered in his ear, “I can handle him.”


JC smiled s he then kissed her cheek.



The day was one that was full of this. Little bantering between all four of them. The jokes of who would ride what ride and who was afraid to ride others. Who was challenged to do some things and who chickened out.


Kerri smiled as JC walked by a game and saw some stuffed animals. He went to the stand and played. She saw him knock down the cans on the first shot and laughed. He then smiled at her and said, “Pick your favorite.”


Kerri blushed as she looked at the animals and said, “I like the rottweiler.” JC smiled as the man picked it for her and gave it to her saying, “For you my lady.”


Jessica and Justin sat back and enjoyed watching Kerri become more of herself as she walked and went on rides with JC. She kept nudging Justin as she saw the two of them together.


Justin too was happy for his sister. He was enjoying how JC treated Kerri how she should be treated. He was a little unsure of the two of them dating but knew JC had feelings for his sister from the moment he met her.



Later that night JC was helping Justin finishing up with some stuff in his studio and walked upstairs and saw Kerri sitting outside on the back deck.


Kerri was looking up at the sky as she had her phone playing soft jazz music. He smiled as he walked near her.


“I didn't know you liked jazz.”


Kerri jumped a little as she said, “Dam, give a woman a heart attack.” she put her hand to her chest and breathed a sigh of relief.


JC laughed as he sat at the end of the chair she was curled up on. “Sorry didn't mean to startle you.'


Kerri giggled back and said, “It's okay, and to answer your question that startled me, yes I like jazz.”


JC smiled as he saw her sit back and listen to Miles Davis. “So who do you like,”


Kerri sighed as she said, “Mostly the classics, Miles Davis, Billie Holliday...I love Sade.”


JC smiled as he said, “Nice easy listening Jazz.”


“Yep, it kind of helps me relax.” Kerri looked at him and said, “After Alex would, you know beat me or whatever he did to me and went to bed, I would play it on my phone to calm me down. Also when I got here I would play it the nights I had nightmares.”


JC smiled at her and then heard the start of Sade's 'by your side' and got up. “May I have this dance?”


Kerri shyly got up and went into his arms and began to sway to the music.


The song went on and JC softly sang into her ear. She sighed as she listened to him sing. She let her head rest on his heart. She felt so safe and comfortable.


JC looked down at her as he felt her relax as they were moving to the music. “Kerri?”


Kerri picked her head up. She looked into his eyes. “Yes.”


JC spoke softly, “I'm not going to lie to you. I like you...alot. I know you are going through a lot and all but I haven't stopped thinking about you since you moved out here.”


Kerri looked at him and took a shaky breath, “I would be lying if I didn't say I was too, it's just.” Kerri signed and said, “I'm a little, well lying very scared. I know you wouldn't hurt me but I just am scared I won't be what you want me to be, and..”


JC put a finger to her lips and said, “Oh I doubt that baby, I know you are scared as all hell and I get that. I just want to see where this could go. If you want to try. I promise I will not pressure you into anything you don't want to do.”


Kerri looked up and moved closer to him. She saw him move closer. She then felt his finger move from her lips to her cheek in a soft caress her cheek then cup it, ever so softly as he let his lips meet hers. She knew at that moment that he was what she needed and wanted for so long. She pulled away and said, “Let's try this.”


JC smiled as he kissed her again. He pulled away he looked at his watch and sighed. “I have a meeting tomorrow @ 8:00 am.”



“I'll walk you to the door.” Kerri laced her fingers with his and walked him to the door.


JC stood there as he opened the door and looked back, “Dinner tomorrow night? Maybe we can go to a Jazz club too?”


Kerri smiled her shy smile and said, “It's a date.”


JC leaned in one more time and kissed her lips. “I will see you at 7:30.” He kissed her one more time and said, “Night sweetie.”


“Good night Josh.” Kerri watched him walk from the door to his car and wathced as he smiled and waved at her as he pulled out of the driveway.


Kerri then went to her room and closed the door smiling as she laid back in her bed. She then went to her bathroom and got ready for sleep.


As she climbed into bed and saw that she had a new text. She smiled as she read it.


Sweet dreams my Kerri Berry...if you need me call or text.


Kerri replied


Good night my prince.


She laid back and for the first time in a long time she was not afraid to sleep.

Chapter End Notes:
Review and thanks for reading this so far :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love abusiveex jc justin