May 1996

“Hello?”

“Hi!”

“Hey,” Ashten smiled, instantly melting at the sound of her boyfriend’s voice. “How’s Sweden?” She asked, sitting down on the couch and hugging a throw pillow tightly to her chest. After graduation, Ashten went onto the University of Central Florida where she was currently majoring in Business and JC, along with Joey had joined a group, *Nsync, with three of their friends. Things had seemed to be going well for them, since they were now signed to a label and recording an album overseas.

“Great,” Josh replied. “Well, except for the food. At least they have a McDonald’s!”

“Oh Josh, what a refined palette you have,” She teased, and they shared a laugh.

“So how’s school?” He asked.

“Great, I just finished up my last paper as a matter of fact.” Ashten replied.

“Lucky for you, I definitely do not miss writing midterms and essays.” JC said. “So, everything else okay on your end?” He asked.

He was stalling. He needed to tell her something, and she could sense that. “Josh, what’s wrong?” She asked.

“Nothing,” he replied.

“You’re a terrible liar.” Ashten said, rolling her eyes.

JC took a deep breath, silently contemplating whether or not if he should ask her what he’s been dying to for the past week. It was a really big risk. Maybe he shouldn’t. No, he couldn’t.

“Josh,” Ashten called, when he hadn’t said anything.

“There’s something I have to ask you.” He said seriously.

“Yeah?”

“Um,” JC started, biting down hard on his bottom lip. “Do you think that you would be willing to come fly out and see me once school’s out?” He finally got out.

“Sure!” Ashten replied, smiling. She missed him; she’d love nothing more than to spend time with him.

“For the whole summer.” He quickly added.

“I-“Ashten stopped. What? No! He couldn’t ask her that. He knew he couldn’t ask her that! “Josh,” she sighed. “You know I start my internship this summer.” She had spent hours perfecting her resume, doing volunteer work, and doing all the networking she could to secure an internship with Layna Marshall, Florida’s leading entrepreneur. It was the most coveted internship amongst her business class, she’d fought tooth and nail for it, and she’d gotten it. She would learn everything she needed to about starting her business by shadowing Layna. This internship meant everything to her and JC knew that she couldn’t just give it up.

“I know… I just…” JC stammered. “I really miss you.” He said.

“I know baby, and I miss you too, but it’s not fair of you to ask me to give up my internship. It means as much to me as recording that album means to you and the guys.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” JC apologized. He knew he wasn’t being fair to her at all. He couldn’t expect her to just give up her life, and drop everything at the drop of a dime to come be with him. She had her own life to live. But the selfish side of him was homesick and needed to see a familiar face… feel a familiar body. “It’s just that I need you.” He confessed.

Ashten sighed. “You’re really not making this easy for me Josh,” she said dropping her head down against the back of the couch. She couldn’t even believe that she was considering this.

“I’ll tell you what,” He said, the wheels beginning to turn in his head. “What if I set up something with A&R at the label, maybe you can shadow them while we record, and then we can spend time together when I’m not working?” He suggested.

“Josh don’t be ridiculous,” Ashten said. “That’s- that’s actually not a bad idea,” she said, reconsidering the offer.

“I mean I’m sure all of those elective music courses you’ve been taking will pay off,” JC replied. “And, I mean c’mon it’s Europe. Who doesn’t want to spend a summer abroad?”

He was persuading her. Hardcore persuading. Fuck! Why was he so persuasive? “I miss you too.” She sighed. “And this long distance thing isn’t getting any easier…”

“So, can I take that as a yes?” He asked, biting down on his thumbnail.

“I’ll book my flight as soon as school’s out,” Ashten said, finally relenting.

“So this is happening?” JC asked, getting excited.

“Yes, this is happening.” She replied, not really believing it herself.

“You have no idea how much this means to me Ash,” Josh said. “I’ll never forget this.”

“Yeah, you better not,” She replied.

“I love you.” JC said.

“I love you too, bye,” Ashten said before hanging up the phone. “I’m insane.” She said to herself, before tossing the phone beside her on the couch. She got up from where she was and walked down the hall to her roommate’s room. The best part about having an off campus apartment was living with someone you liked, rather than being forced to live with a stranger in a dorm. “Roxie, I’ve got to talk to you.” She said, lightly knocking on the door.

“What’s wrong?” Roxie asked from her bed.

“I just did something really stupid.” Ashten pouted, stepping into the room.

“Come and tell Mama about it,” Roxie said, patting the spot next to her on the bed.

“I’m giving up my internship with Layna Marshall.” Ashten said lying across the bed on her stomach. She softly plopped her head against the softness of the mattress once she’d realized the impact of her words. It definitely sounded dumber out loud than it did in her head.

“Ash!” Roxie exclaimed. “Why in the hell would you do something so stupid?”

“Josh wants me to spend the summer with him.” Ashten replied. That sounds even dumber, she thought.

“Okay, this does not sound like the Ashten Miller that I know; Giving up everything that she’s worked for for a guy? I mean, this internship is everything you’ve dreamed of, and now what, you’re just going to throw it all away?” Roxie asked. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, if you give up this internship, you can’t just get it back.”

“I know,” Ashten huffed, feeling even more conflicted. The internship with Layna was the first step on the path to starting her career, something she couldn’t afford to pass up. On the other hand, JC was her boyfriend, she really loved him, and she was afraid that this distance between them was detrimental to their relationship. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place. “So, what should I do?” She asked, looking up at Roxie.

“Go.” Roxie said.

“What?” Ashten asked, looking up at her quizzically.

“I said go,” Roxie repeated.

“You really mean it?” Ashten asked. “I mean, everyone else is gonna think I’ve lost it.”

“Oh you have.” Roxie replied.

“Then why are you advocating that I give up everything and go to Sweden?” Ashten asked.

“Because, you’re totally butt crazy, over the moon, risk it all, take me now, I’m yours, in love.” Roxie said. “That’s the kind of love that people wait their whole entire lives to find, Ashten. Sure, it may be stupid to give up your internship for a guy, but you’re young and entitled to make mistakes. Be a little crazy, go for the guy, it’s worth the risk to fall hopelessly in love. That is an experience in itself.”

Ashten smiled. Roxie was so right. Yes, what she was doing was crazy and risky, and people wouldn’t get it, but that was okay. She needed to do in her heart what she felt was right, and right now, she needed to be with Josh. Whether it be right or wrong, it was definitely a risk worth taking. “So, you wanna help me pack?”

 

June, 1996 Stockholm, Sweden

“Ow, Kirkpatrick, you’re squashing me!” Ashten exclaimed. “Get off,” she huffed, trying to push Chris, the oldest member of the group off of her lap.

“Not until you tell me what you did with my taquito!” Chris exclaimed, seated comfortably on top of the rather small girl.

“First off, if I would’ve taken your taquito, I would’ve eaten it by now, and second you don’t need it, you’re freakin’ heavy dude!”

“Oh for that you’re gonna get it!” Chris replied, applying more pressure onto her lap.

“C’mon dude, I did not take your fuckin’ taquito. Get off me!” Ashten yelled.

“Dude, stop squishing my girlfriend,” JC said walking into the living room.

“Josh, tell this man that I did not take his damned freezer food!” Ashten said.

“Chris, Justin’s eating your taquito,” JC said, nodding in the direction of one of the bedrooms.

“Aw man,” He groaned, getting up from Ashten’s lap. “Justin you are so dead!” He called running off down the hall.

“Sorry about that,” JC said, sitting down next to Ashten on the couch.

“No worries, I like it. It’s like having brothers.” Ashten replied. It had been a week since she had been in Sweden with JC and the guys. They had immediately taken to Ashten, and her laid back personality. She enjoyed being around them as well, and could tell that this would be a pretty crazy summer, but in the best way possible. The guys were fun.

Chris, who was the oldest, was the most extroverted. He was loud and made fart jokes, and was the all around jokester. He had a great personality and always made Ashten laugh. Of course there was Joey, who she had graduated with, and had been friends with all throughout high school, so it was good to see him again. Lance was a really sweet guy from Mississippi. He was quiet and deep, and although very friendly he sometimes kept to himself. She absolutely adored him. Then there was Justin, who had come off of the Mickey Mouse Club with JC. He was the baby of the group. He was adorable with his curly hair and blue eyes, he was “Mr. Do it All”, and very wise beyond his years. She kind of saw him as a little brother. Although, if he kept staring at her ass the way he did, she’d have to smack him.

“I’m really glad you’re here baby,” JC said for what seemed like the hundredth time. He really couldn’t thank her enough. He almost felt guilty for having her travel half way across the world just to be with him.

“And I’m happy to be here.” She said, before kissing him.

“So, are you excited about tomorrow?” JC asked.

“As excited as I’ll ever be.” Ashten replied. Tomorrow, she started her internship in the A&R department at the Swedish division of BMG Ariola Munich, and she was nervous to say the least, but still excited none the less, since this was just as big an opportunity as the one she’d had back home.

“This summer’s going to be great.” JC said, grabbing Ashten’s hand.

“Yeah it is,” She replied, before leaning over to kiss him again. But right as their lips connected, the kiss was broken by a nauseating smell. “Ew, Joey!” Ashten exclaimed when he wiggled his way between them with the remote in his hand. “How many times a day can one human possibly fart?”

“Welcome to the family sis,” Joey replied nonchalantly flipping through TV channels.

“Ugggh,” Ashten coughed, pinching her index finger and thumb over her nose.

“Hey, you’re one of us now!” JC said, peeking over Joey’s shoulder.

August, 1996

“Wow, I can’t believe this is over already,” JC said. It was the end of the summer, the guys had finished recording the album, and were gearing up to set a release date for their first single, and Ashten was preparing to head back to the states and start school again.

“I know, I don’t want to leave.” Ashten sighed. They were walking hand in hand in downtown Stockholm, exploring the city since they didn’t get to do much of it due to work. The city really was beautiful, especially when it was dark out. The people were out, the town was buzzing, and all the city lights were glowing. The air was perfect, and was so much better than being back home.

“I don’t want you to leave,” JC said. “You know, maybe you could stay just a little longer?” He suggested.

“Oh no,” She replied. “The last time you convinced me to do something, it actually worked, and now that you’re here in person, you might be that much more persuasive.”

“Ah, well at least I tried.” JC said, as they came to a stopping point at the pier overlooking the river. As people whizzed around them, they took a moment to look down at the peacefulness of the water, the bright, full moon reflecting off of it.

“You know coming out here was the best decision I’ve ever made.” Ashten said.

“Really?” JC asked. Part of him was still worried that she’d made one of the biggest mistakes of her life because of him. “Even giving up the internship?”

“It was well worth it.” Ashten replied. “This summer, spending it with you, has been the best summer of my life and I wouldn’t take it back for the world, Josh.”

“I’m glad,” JC smiled. He was glad that he had these moments with her to cherish. Now that everything was picking up with the group, and things were about to take off he didn’t know how many more he would have with her.

“What’s wrong?” Ashten asked, once again, sensing that something was wrong.

“Nothing,” JC replied.

“Joshua Scott…”

“Ashten, I want you to know that you doing this for me has been amazing.” JC said.

“You keep saying that,” she replied.

“And I mean it.” JC said seriously. “Because I know it wasn’t easy for you to just drop everything for me, and I don’t expect you to do it all the time. I just… What I’m trying to say is I never expected to be doing what I’m doing right now, with the group, and I love it. It’s amazing. And if things take off, that means that I’m probably going to be gone a lot in this relationship.”

“Yeah, I figured that.” Ashten said, looking up at him. It was a harsh reality, but one they had to face.

“But my heart is always with you Ash, even when I’m not,” JC said, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer to him. “I just want you to know that, okay? I want you to know that no matter where this takes me, we’ll always be okay, I promise.” JC said, before gently placing a kiss atop her forehead, and finally onto her lips. “No matter what, I promise to always take you with me.”

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: mmcera presync jc joey