Author's Chapter Notes:
*NSYNC continues to work hard towards their showcase. As the performance date gets closer, Lance doubts himself even more.


October12th, 1995

Orlando, Florida


 

“We can work it out, we can work it out,” Lance sang along to the music that pumped through the room. The bass rocked through his body, kick starting his heart as he tried his best to keep up with the quick dance moves as the song moved into a music break.

Sweat dripped down behind his ears, down the back of his neck, sliding down the curve of his back, sticking his shirt to his body. His pants were becoming uncomfortably hot and sticky as he continued to dance. He peered into the mirrors in front of him and cringed when he saw the he was off from Joey and Chris who were on either side of him.

Not that that was any big surprise. Dancing wasn’t his forte, but he‘d be lying if he said he didn’t spend as much time as possible working his butt off to try and get the movements down right. Joey was a complete ham while dancing, making funny faces in the mirror, exaggerating every move and while it did look silly, he could make them work. Chris, like Lance, was doing the best he could with the choreography, but with all of his prior experience with his show at Universal, he wasn’t surprised that Chris could manage well.

JC and Justin both had the most experience with having to do new songs just about every day for MMC. They knew all about how hard it was to prepare for each live show.  Of anyone, they had the most experience in regards to what they were trying to accomplish. The two of them danced with such power and precision, it wasn’t a surprise that they were front and center. They also had the best voices for it.

They had had a group meeting about who was to be the lead singers of the group. Joey had thought he had a good shot at it, but both Lance and Chris knew they didn’t. Their voices were just too high and too low respectively to have that sound that would hook the listeners the minute they opened their mouths. Joey was a smooth talking and even more smooth walking Italian who could charm the ladies, so Lance wasn’t surprised that he was considered.

“I think it should be JC or Justin,” Lance had said, twisting his fingers together in his lap. Six pairs of eyes—the rest of the *NSYNC boys, Robin’s, and Lou’s—trained on him. They had all been sitting in the piano room before dance rehearsals. He had shifted uncomfortably in his seat, tugging at the collar of his shirt.

“Not a bad idea,” Chris commented, playing with the fray of his jeans. “Sure as hell can’t be me.” Joey let out a bark of laughter, his lips stretching upwards into a smile.

“Who’d want to see your fat ass front and center when they can watch me?” he had asked. Chris had rolled his eyes before lifting his hand, folding every finger down until his middle finger had stood straight. Joey’s eyebrows had twitched, his smile widening slightly. He had then scratched at his eyebrow. “Lance is right; I mean…we’re getting our audience from MMC.”

“Sure would be a hell of a lot better than watching Joey’s fat ass strutting up and down the stage,” Chris had shot back. Joey had then reached for the pillow that he was leaning up against and had thrown it across the room at Chris, punching the air with his fists as the pillow had hit his intended target.

“I don’t know,” JC had said quietly, his face flushed. “What do you think, Just?”

“Me?” Justin had asked, looking up from his lap, adjusting the backwards cap he had worn a top of his curls. He had twisted his hat around to the front, pulling the brim down over his eyes. He had merely shrugged. “I mean…if y’all don’t care…or whatever.”

“It makes sense,” Lance had replied, giving the two of them a smile.

“Yeah, dudes,” Chris had said, tossing the pillow up into the air. “No skin off our noses.” He then stuck his tongue out at the two of them. “Less pressure off us, anyway.” He and Joey had started to laugh as Lance had given the two boys a reassuring smile.

That was how the two of them had staked their claim at the front of the group and Lance couldn’t be any more grateful for it. He had the feeling that Chris and Joey felt the same way. Chris was right, while they did have pressure put on all of them to get everything as perfect as they could before their first live performance. Justin and JC had the most pressure put on them and they were all along for the ride.

That’s not to say that with all of his performances with Showstoppers, Attaché, and Seven Card Stud didn’t help him out. But even then, he wasn’t the greatest dancer. He could get through with enough practice to fake it the best he could. After all, he was one of the few who could sing as low as he could, it wouldn’t surprise him if they kept him around for his singing ability.

Don’t think like that, Lance. He gave a shake of his head, cringing as it through him off the beat even more so than he already was.

“Come on, Lance,” Lou Pearlman’s high pitched voice reached his ears, sending a wave of frustration through him. “Step it up.”

Lance slightly angled his head before lifting his water bottle to his mouth. They were using it as make-shift microphones before their showcase at Pleasure Island in the next few days. Ever since signing the contract to join *NSYNC, it had been nonstop preparation for the show; haircuts, wardrobe, rehearsal, studio work, rehearsal, studio work, rehearsal over and over again.

They had chosen four songs for the showcase: Dreaming, Give in to Me, We Can Work It Out, and I Want You Back For More. JC had written two of the four songs, and Lance couldn’t deny that he was impressed by it. He had never thought about writings songs himself, nor did he think he’d be that great at it. Math and Science were his best subjects despite his mom being an English teacher, but the minute he had started taking music seriously, academics went by the wayside.

Lance lifted his water bottle microphone to his lips as he heard the familiar cue in the song to go back to the lyrics. “Life is very short, and there's no time,” the five of them sang together, moving through the dance moves. “For fussing and fighting, my friend. I have always thought that it's a crime. So I will ask you once again.”

There was another short dance break before Lance spun on his heels, turning towards Joey as they sang, “We. Can. Work it out.  We can work it ooouuutt.” Joey instantly had Lance on the verge of bursting into loud laughter as he watched Joey make faces; stretching his lips downwards and wiggling his eyebrows as he sang. “We. Can. Work it out. We can work it ooouuutt.”

Joey held out his palm towards Lance and Lance slapped Joey’s open palm with his own and his Italian friend threw him a wink. Lance moved back into the line the five boys created, continuing to sing. The song slowed down near the end as they all grouped together, holding out the last note of the song.

“Phew.” Chris’s arms dropped down by his sides before he grasped the front of his shirt, rapidly pulling the material away from his chest, trying to cool himself down. He then lifted the bottom of his shirt, using it to wipe at his face.

“Put the shirt down, Kirkpatrick,” Justin groaned, wrinkling his nose. “No one wants to see that.”

“Stuff it, Timberflake,” Chris replied with a roll of his eyes. He then shot Joey an amused look. “Besides, my chest is much more manly than Mary Mary Way Too Hairy over there.” He jerked his thumb in Joey’s direction. The Italian merely rolled his eyes before uncapping the water bottle in his hands, tilting his head back, gulping down the water.

JC let out a loud laugh, dumping some of the water in his water bottle over his head, allowing the water to drip down his head, cooling him off before the droplets hit his shoulders. They dangled off his ear lobe, catching the light in a way to make it look like he had earrings.

“He’s got you there, Joe-Joe,” he said, his lips pulling back into a grin.

“Ehh, perfect insulation for the hose cold New York winters,” Joey replied with a shrug, breathing heavily after swallowing the last gulp of water, his face bright red. Sweat dribbled down his face and he used his arm to wipe the sweat from his face. That got a round of laughter and grossed out looks from the boys, but he merely smiled, shrugging his shoulders.

“Come on, boys, let’s get back to work,” Lou said clapping his hands repeatedly. “This is a big day for you.”

“Hey, Lou, maybe you should give them a break,” Lynn said quietly. Both she and Diane were sitting in the corner of the room with Lou, watching the five boys rehearse. Robin was sitting with them. Lance could occasionally pick out her voice, calling for them to watch their pitches when singing.

“They’ve been workin’ nonstop for hours,” Diane added, shooting her son a look of worry. “They deserve a break, don’t you think.”

“Pool, pool, pool,” Chris quietly chanted, doing an odd dance. Justin chimed in a second later.

Lance hadn’t loved his mom than he had in that moment, as did his tired legs, his tired arms, and his tired body as he collapsed onto the ground. He looped his arms around his legs, pulling his knees to his chest. JC walked over to him, grabbing his arm, hauling him to his feet.

“Nah,” he said, shaking his head. He used his arm to wipe the sweat from his forehead. “It’s better to walk around until you get your heart rate down.” Lance gave a nod of his head, swaying slightly on his feet and JC tapped his arm with his hand. “Drink up. Stay hydrated.”

Lance nodded his head again and again before twisting off the cap to his water bottle, tilting his head back, gulping down all the water in his water bottle before crushing it in his fist. Lance let out a breath of air through his nose slowly swallowing the water he held in his mouth.

“You’re doing great,” JC said to him, clapping him on the shoulder. “Just keep your head up and remember to breathe.”

“Thanks, man,” Lance replied with a nod of his head and JC smiled, clapping him on the shoulder a second time. “But, I don’t think I’m going to get this.”

“Sure you will,” Lou piped up, and Lance turned around to face him. “You wouldn’t be here if we didn’t think you brought something special to this group.”

“Yeah, my voice, right?” Lance asked. Lou’s jaw dropped slightly.

“You have an extraordinary gift, Lance,” Robin said quietly, leaning forward to rest her arms on her knees. “You have the kind of voice that I haven’t heard in a long time, and I’d be damned—“

“Ooooh,” Justin said with a smile, pointing a finger over in Robin’s direction.

Justin Randall,” Lynn hissed and Justin instantly snapped his lips shut, crossing his arms over his chest to run a hand over his curly hair.

“I’m just sayin’,” he said quietly. Lynn arched an eyebrow. “Sorry, Momma. I apologize, Miss Robin.”

Robin chuckled, shaking her head back and forth slightly. “I’d be damned if I let you slip through my fingers,” she said, wiggling her fingers for emphasis. “Bob talked highly about you, and I had the feeling that you were someone special. That was further shown to me when I heard you audition. The minute you opened your mouth, I got goose bumps.”

“She doesn’t get those a lot,” Chris piped up.

“Stress zits, maybe,” Joey added before waving a hand in the air. “But goose bumps?”

“Fuggedaboutit.” JC, Justin, and Chris said along with Joey before the four of them started laughing. They quickly shut up when they saw the look on Robin’s face. Justin loudly cleared his throat, muttering another apology, giving a two fingered salute before rocking back and forth on his heels.

“The point is, if we didn’t think you belonged here, you wouldn’t be here,” Robin replied

“Or you’re all just stringin’ me along,” Lance muttered.

“James,” Diane said quietly.

Lance waved a hand in the air before turning and heading out of the room. Joey reached for his shoulder, but Lance brushed past him, making his way out of the room. He passed through door after door until he was in the main living room of the house before making his way out to the backyard and towards the pool.

He kicked off his shoes, pulling off his socks, and rolled his pants up to his knees before sitting at the edge of the deep end of the pool, sticking his feet into the water. He slowly kicked his feet back and forth in the water, watching as the waters rippled towards the edge of the pool. He stared down at his reflection before he closed his eyes, letting out a heavy sigh.

“James Lance Bass, slow down,” 11-year-old Annaleigh Carr said as she tried to pull her hand out from Lance’s. “I can’t keep up.”

13-year-old Lance Bass chuckled as he stepped along the path, heading deeper and deeper into the woods. He guided her over fallen logs and clutters of rocks that lined the path. “We’re almost there, don’t worry. Pick up your feet.”

“I have good place to put my foot,” Annaleigh said through clenched teeth. She then put on a pout. “How much fartherrr?”

“Not that far,” Lance replied with a small laugh. “I think you’ve done too many pageants, you’re starting to sound like a girl.” Annaleigh let out a loud gasp before sticking her nose in the air.

“You’re mean,” she said giving a kick at the ground. She stumbled, tightly gripping his hand to stop herself from hitting the ground. She made a whimpering sound as she moved closer towards him.

“And nice,” Lance replied, continuing down the path. “I coulda let you fall flat on yer face.”

“Shoot, my momma woulda yelled at you,” Annaleigh said with a click of her tongue. “She’d be mad if I couldn’t participate in the pageant this weekend.”

“What better reason to go creek stomping?” Lance replied, starting to swing their hands back and forth. He then dropped her hand as he climbed up over the biggest log they came across and sat at the top before turning back towards her, grasping her hands helping her up one side and carefully down the other. “Just through here and we’re there.”

“We better be,” Annaleigh muttered, brushing her hair out of her face. Lance clicked his tongue before reaching for wrist, pulling at the elastic band. Annaleigh slapped at his hand. “I can do it.”

“Excuuuse me,” Lance replied, putting his hands up into the air.

Annaleigh pouted before twisting her hair up into a high ponytail. “Sorry,” she muttered, sounding as if she didn’t want to apologize at all. “It’s just too hoooot. How’d you convince me to come out here, today?”

“Because I said I’d be your prop in your next three pageants,” Lance replied, making a face. “That’s not worth your complaining though.” He pushed forward, around a line of trees and threw his arms out to the sides. “Ta da!”

“Whoa,” Annaleigh whispered, looking at the large, circular body of water in front of her.

The creek flowed in from a single source from the right before flowing into the bowl of water in front of her. The bowl was encircled by a wall of rock which Darren jumped from, letting out a loud, “Woohoo!” before crashing through the surface of the water. Water droplets shot through the air, raining down on the petals and blades of grass surrounding the lower side of the clearing.

“Told you, you’d like it,” Lance said with a smile before reaching for the collar of his shirt, pulling it up over his head. “Come on.” He led the way down the path, folding his shirt in front of him before tossing it over his shoulder.

“Bout time you made it,” Darren called as he pulled himself out of the water. His shoes squished as he stepped up onto the rocks to face his friends, water puddle at his feet. He adjusted his swimming trunks before putting his hands on his hips. He then twisted his lips to the side, peering over at Annaleigh. “I can see why you took long. So the princess actually wants to step out into the sun.”

“I’m a girl, not a vampire,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes before pulling her shirt up over her head, revealing her pink and purple bathing suit.

“I’ve noticed,” Darren replied with a twitch of his eyebrows. “Surprised; you have no problem dressin’ up for the Little Miss Kettle Korn but you have a problem bein’ in a bathin’ suit.” He hooked his finger into the elastic band of her swimming shorts and snapped it.

“Hey!” Annaleigh cried, slapping at his hand.

“Five minutes,” Lance said, throwing his hands into the air. “Could both of y’all stop getting’ at each other’s throats for five minutes?” Darren opened his mouth and Lance shot him a warning look.

“Fine,” Annaleigh replied. Lance hiked an eyebrow in Darren’s direction.

Darren shrugged, his eyebrows inching up his forehead. He then angled his head towards Annaleigh and Lance caught the glint that came to his eye. Lance whistled to himself as he removed his feet from his shoes. He peeled off his socks before sliding his feet back into his shoes.

Darren lifted a hand to scratch at the back of his wet head before holding up three fingers. He dropped one, and then a second, and when he lowered the third finger he and Lance lunged forward to grab at her arms and legs. Annaleigh let out a shriek at the sudden movement and started flailing her arms and legs as they carried her towards the water’s edge.

“Put me down,” Annaleigh shouted. “I’m gonna tell my momma on the two’a y’all.”

“Miss Caroline loves us,” Darren said, adjusting his grip on her legs. “She ain’t gonna do nothin’.”

“No, but your momma might if she hears how you’re talkin’,” Annaleigh replied as they stepped closer to the water’s edge. Darren and Lance started swinging her back and forth.

“One, two, three!” they counted in unison.

On three, they threw Annaleigh forward, letting her go, watching as she sank beneath the surface of the water with a loud splash. Lance laughed, high fiving Darren before jumping into the water after her. He could hear the muffled crash as Darren jumped in seconds later.

Lance’s shoes pulled him down, but he kicked hard towards the surface and broke through seconds later. He lifted his hands to brush his hair back out of his face before he held his hands out in front of him to shield himself from the water that Annaleigh splashed in his face.

“Hey!” Lance cried, turning his head away.

“You shoulda seen the look on your face,” Darren laughed, treading water.

“Ooh, I’m gonna get y’all,” Annaleigh cried.

“You’re gonna have to catch us first,” Darren replied before he started swimming towards Lance. “Swim, Lance, swim.” Lance turned onto his stomach and started swimming away from her, his laughter mixing in with Darren’s and Annaleigh’s.

“Are you ok?”

Lance didn’t open his eyes as his mom sat down beside him. “Thinking of home,” Lance replied, feeling himself return back to present time, the Florida sun beating down on him. “And wonderin’ if I had made the right decision, coming out here.”

Diane laughed quietly. “Lance, all I heard from you nonstop, and from Annaleigh too, was how this was a big opportunity, and that I should give you a chance,” she said, running her fingers through his hair. “Or did I make that up?”

“No, ma’am,” Lance replied, opening his eyes before turning his head to smile at her. “Maybe I made a mistake.” Diane shook her head back and forth.

“Remember when you begged your father to let you stop playin’ baseball to start singin’?” Diane asked and Lance’s lips twitched upwards into a smile. “You don’t think all this is was a mistake, do you?”

“Starting to think I’m too big for my britches,” Lance replied with a heavy sigh, his cheeks puffing up as he did so.

“Well, sweetie, you had to put in a lot of hard work to get into show choir, and you accomplished so many things,” Diane said before moving to give him a kiss on the cheek. “Who says you can’t accomplish this if you set your mind to it?”

“Me,” Lance replied.

“And I think that’s your problem, Sweetie,” Diane replied, reaching up her hand to brush some of his hair out of his face. “You’re stoppin’ yourself. But, why?”

“I’m scared,” Lance replied.

“Of what?”

“A lot of things.”

Diane nodded her head. “Do you really want to live your live in fear of what’s to come if you decide to go along with this?” she asked, waving her arm around, indicating the pool and then the house. “Or do you want to be my little boy who has never in his life been afraid to jump up onto stage with his sister and to make up all those shows for your father and I?”

Lance broke into a smile before moving to rest his head on her shoulder. “I’ve never been more proud of you, James,” she said quietly. They sat in silence for a moment, gently swishing their legs through the water. “Would it help if we invited Annaleigh and Darren out to see your show?”

“Yes,” Lance replied after a moment of silence. He then quirked an eyebrow. “Cause apart from Justin, these boys don’t know the first thing ‘bout Southern food.”

Diane laughed, resting her head on top of his. She looped an arm around him, rubbing soothing circles into his back. “You ready to go back in?” Diane asked.

“Mmmm, only if you’re willing to carry me back to my bed afterwards,” Lance replied before he removed his feet from the water. He offered his hand towards his mother and Diane slipped her hand in his, allowing him to help her to her feet. She reached for her abandoned shoes.

“Not if you’re going to be that sweaty,” Diane replied with a shake of her head.

“Thanks, mom,” Lance said with a roll of his eyes.

“Hey, Stace has always been my favorite,” Diane joked, shrugging her shoulders.

“We’ll just see how many concerts I’ll give you backstage passes to,” Lance said with a laugh. “We’ll see who the favorite is, then.” Diane let out a tinkling laugh. “I love you, mom.”

“I love you, too, Lance,” Diane replied, giving him a warm smile. “And I know you can do this, you’re not alone. You have four boys who are going through the same thing.” She clicked her tongue. “Even a little more, I mean, they already had someone else who signed onto the group and then left shortly after.”

Lance cringed. “You don’t think they think that I want out, do you?” he asked quietly.

“Only one way to find out, sweetie,” Diane replied. She peered up at him, a questioning look in her eyes.

Lance sucked in a deep breath of air before letting it out. “Come on, mom,” he said, reaching her for her hand. “I’ve already dragged you through this far, might as well keep pulling you along.” Diane laughed again, using her free hand to swat him on the arm.

Lance guided his mom back through the band house and back into the rehearsal space. Joey was the first to jump to his feet and make his way over to the two of them. “Is everything ok?” Joey asked, giving Diane a smile before giving Lane a half smile.

“Everything’s fine,” Lance replied, gently squeezing his mom’s hand, giving her a warm smile before turning back towards him. “We’re in this together, right?”

“Damn straight, we are,” Joey said, grinning at Lance before turning towards his mom. “I’m sorry.” he then looked back at Lance who pressed his lips together, trying not to laugh out loud. “I mean…of course we are.”

Lance laughed.

“Because we’re going to need to rely on each other when we start working on this in the warehouse,” Joey said. Lance’s smile faded slightly.

“Warehouse?” he repeated.

 

Chapter End Notes:
This story will end soon. It could go up to 15 chapters, but I'm thinking 12 or 13 right now. Hope you liked this one. :)

EDIT - Huh. So I guess the chapter was too long originally.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: debutsync presync originalcharacter bestfriendl