Author's Chapter Notes:
Meet Annaleigh's family.

September 29th, 1995

Clinton, Mississippi


 

“I mean, it happened faster than a knife fight in a phone booth. So, he’s trying to find a way to convince Mrs. B to let him go to Orlando,” Annaleigh said as she moved around her kitchen setting out bowls and napkins. She dug her hand into a bowl filled with chips and shoved some into her mouth. She chewed rapidly before licking her lips. “Isn’t that amazing? I mean, you never hear something like this happen in Clinton.” She planted her hands on her hips. “Do we have any salsa, dad?”

Ryan Carr used his elbow to turn off the faucet to the sink. He grasped the dish towel that hung from a hook on the window sill before turning towards his daughter, using his shoulder to brush his hair out of his face. “Check the refrigerator door,” he replied. “So, Lance is headed down to Orlando, then?”

Annaleigh slid over towards the refrigerator in her socks and pulled the door open in search of the dip. “He wants to go, but his mom is completely against the idea,” she replied, locating the jar and grabbing it. She used her hip to shut the door. “It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“So I’ve heard,” Ryan replied with a small laugh as he dried his hands before folding the towel and placing it on the side of the sink. “It’s the only thing you’ve been talking about since you found out about it.”

“Come on, dad, this is Justin Timberlake we’re talking about,” Annaleigh said as she set the glass jar onto the table. Her cheeks puffed as she put her hand down on top of the jar and tried to twist off the top. Her face turned a bright red before there was a pop and the cap twisted off.

Annaleigh’s breath rushed out in a sigh of relief before she started to dump the salsa into an empty bowl. “You know, from MMC?” Ryan stared blankly at her and she set the now empty jar onto the table with a loud thunk. “Mickey Mouse Club? Oh my stars, dad, you know what I’m talking about.”

“I know,” Ryan said as he relaxed into a grin. He grasped the jar and stuck his finger into the container, dragging it around the sides before sticking his salsa covered finger into his mouth. “Like I said, it’s the only thing you’ve been talking about.”

“Well,” Annaleigh said with a shrug before holding her hand out towards her dad, wiggling her fingers. Ryan handed her the jar and she did the same, smacking her lips as her tongue stared to sting. Her mouth watered and she reached for a chip scooping out a dollop of salsa before dropping it into her mouth. “I ganted bo axe gu someving.”

“Sorry?” Ryan asked, a confused look crossing his face. Annaleigh held a hand over her mouth, as she chewed.

“I wanted to ask you something,” Annaleigh replied behind her hand.

Ryan peered at his daughter for a moment as she chewed as fas as she could to swallow. “I reckon you’re fixin’ to go with him?” he asked, crossing his arms over his chest, quirking an eyebrow. Annaleigh gave him a sweet smile. “I don’t know, Anna.”

Annaleigh’s smile instantly faded. “Why not?” she asked, her features wilting as she frowned. “It’d be a great experience. Orlando is the new place to be for music.” She stuck out her bottom lip. “Please?”

“Sweetheart, this is Lance’s shot not yours,” Ryan said, scratching the back of his neck with his finger.

“I know,” Annaleigh said, her eyes popping open, her voice jumping up into a higher pitch. “I do! But, this could help me prepare for auditions, and—“ She thought quickly, “and Bob really wants him to try out. He has good hopes for this. Dad, I could look at a real recording studio and see how the recording process and professional performance rehearsals go. It’s a way to get out of Clinton.”

“Anna, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you serve as a stage hand for some Attaché shows?” Ryan asked, running a hand over his face. “You traveled with them as well. You went all over the United States.”

“And I was fine then. I was Mrs. B and I’d be with her now,” Annaleigh replied. She started bouncing up and down on the balls of her feet, making a whining noise. “Please? Dad, you know how important music is to me.”

How could he not? Music was pretty much the topic of any and all conversation that came out of her mouth. If she was a part of a conversation that wasn’t about music, she made it that way. Dancing, singing, playing, she wanted to be a part of it in any way shape or form that made her happy. Clinton was a city all about music and sports (especially baseball), but she knew that Orlando was the best place on the East Coast to be to have her career really take off.

She didn’t want to step on Lance’s toes, this was his shot, but it would be a great learning experience. She’d get to see what it really took to get into the profession, and get a taste of what the world outside of Clinton, Mississippi really had to offer her. Plus, while she was there, she could possibly get someone to listen to her sing to give her some tips or something. It was a win-win situation; her friend got to live out part of his dream and she’d be there every step of the way, just like always.

“I do know, sweetheart,” Ryan replied. He laughed a little bit. “I wouldn’t have set you up with vocal lessons, and drum lessons, and dance lessons and—“ Annaleigh made a whimpering sound. “I’m just saying…don’t you think it’s time for you to start walking your own path?”

“What do you mean?” Annaleigh asked, a confused look on her face. She watched as Ryan pressed his lips together running his hands over his hair. “Daaaadd?”

“Oh, sweetie,” Ryan said with a sigh, motioning for her to sit down. Annaleigh frowned before pulling the chair in front of her out so she could sit down. Ryan sat down across from her, folding his hands on the table. Annaleigh twisted a lock of hair around her finger “It’s just that…I wonder if you rely too much on Darren and Lance to figure out what you want to do with your life.”

“They’re my best friends, dad,” Annaleigh replied, playing with the top to the salsa jar. “We all love music and performing, that’s all.”

“Yes,” Ryan replied, slowly nodding. He sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, “but, you weren’t interested in Showstoppers or Attaché until you started hanging around them.” Annaleigh’s eyebrows lowered. “You have a wonderful gift; I’m just worried that you’re doing this for the wrong reasons.”

“I love you, daddy,” Annaleigh said quietly, “but, this is my dream. I’m going to get out of Clinton one way or another.” She then suddenly threw her arms into the air. ““Behold, I am doing something new! It’s already happening; don’t you recognize it? I will clear a way in the desert. I will make rivers on dry land.” Ryan rolled his eyes, shaking his head in amusement at her dramatic recitation. She then grinned. “Isaiah 43:19.”

“I know the verse well,” Ryan commented with a warm smile. Ryan worked as a contractor during the day but a Bible Professor at night at Mississippi University in Clinton. He also spent some time on the weekend serving as a Youth Pastor for Youth Group.

“When’s mom getting home?” Annaleigh asked, changing the subject. “I bet she’ll understand how important this is.” She got out of her seat and over to the pantry door. Opening it, she reached for the box of popcorn and pulled out a bag.

Ryan opened and closed his mouth before letting out a sigh through his nose. “She’s running late,” he replied after a moment of silence. Annaleigh nodded, ripping off the plastic to the snack before sticking it in the microwave. Beeps filled the air before a low hum as the microwave turned on. “Out shopping.”

Annaleigh slowly turned around to face her dad. “For what?” she asked in a low tone. Ryan turned his head to look out the sliding glass door that led to the back sunroom. “Please, don’t tell me she’s out looking for a Homecoming dress for me.”

“Ok I won’t tell you, then,” Ryan replied after making a popping sound with his lips.

Annaleigh groaned, rolling her eyes as the sound of popping kernels filled the air. “Daa-aaaad,” she whined, stomping her foot. “I told her a thousand times that I wasn’t going. I wasn’t even invited.”

“You know how your mother gets,” Ryan commented, using a hand to brush his mop of brown hair off of his forehead. “If you can’t use it for Homecoming, maybe consider it for a pageant?” Annaleigh’s upper lip curled slightly. “I know, I know, you haven’t done one in a while. At least pretend that you like it.” Annaleigh lifted the side of her mouth into a half smile. “Try a little harder than that, Sweet Pea.”

Homecoming: the time of year where everyone was in a tizzy about having the perfect dress, the perfect hair, the perfect date, and the perfect night. It was something she had always wanted to take part in, but never had anyone that wanted to ask her to any school event such as this. She wasn’t what one would consider hot, but she wasn’t ugly either. She was…cute. Years before cute was a good thing to be called, back when boys and girls interacted at parties and events just to have fun, not to get anyone’s attention. Those were simpler times that she missed.

“I’ll try,” Annaleigh replied, smiling as the smell of the buttery popcorn hit her nose.

“That’s all I ask,” Ryan replied. “Sweet Pea, I know how important your music is to you, and you’ve proven to me that you can handle working with the church band, church choir, and everything as well as keeping your grades up. I’m just worried about you and what the industry entails, especially with you as a minor.” Ryan put a hand up when Annaleigh turned to face him, opening her mouth to protest. She instantly closed it. “I’ll talk to Diane and your mother, but I have concerns of my own.”

“Concerns about what?” a voice called from the foyer as the front door swung open.

“Hey, Ma,” Annaleigh called, turning back towards the microwave to watch the clock count down. “Jasmine’s spending the night.”

“Wonderful,” Caroline Carr said with a bright smile as she entered the kitchen arms laden with shopping bags, her purse swinging back and forth on her elbow. “I’ve found the cutest shoes for you today.” She started setting down all he bags onto the table before leaning over Ryan, kissing him. “How are you today, sweetheart?”

“Just fine, dear,” Ryan replied, twisting in his seat to face her, quirking an eyebrow. “Nice shopping trip, then?”

“Just lovely,” Caroline replied, removing the sunglasses from her hair, allowing her blonde locks to fall forward, framing her face. “Look at these shoes, Anna.”

Annaleigh popped open the microwave door as it beeped, indicating the end of cooking time for the popcorn and grasped the steaming bag by one of its corners. She pulled the tabs open and dumped the popcorn into the last empty bowl before popping a kernel into her mouth.

“Let’s see, Ma,” she said before stepping forward to kiss her mom’s cheek. “Did you hear about what happened to Lance?”

“Yes, Diane called me first thing this morning,” Caroline replied, reaching into a bag for a gray box. “I think Lance is finally getting his talent recognized.” She set the box down onto the table and flipped the top open to reveal a pair of white, strap high heels. She lifted them out of the box, holding one in each hand. “Cute, right?”

"Yeah, mom, but I already have some heels,” Annaleigh replied, scratching the back of her neck. “Anyway, I wanted to ask you something.” She took the heels as her mom handed them to her and reached down with a hand to take off her socks before slipping her feet inside the shoes. She cringed, her toes becoming cramped in the small space. “So—ow—you think Lance going to Orlando is a good idea?”

“Sweetheart, the Timberlakes called all the way from Florida,” Caroline said, clasping her hands together in delight as she looked her daughter up and down. “If that’s not a sign from God that bigger and better things are out there, waiting for him, then I don’t know what is.“

“So…if Mrs. B lets Lance go to Orlando…can I go too?” Annaleigh asked, staring at her mom, gauging her reaction.

Caroline let out a sigh through her nose, using a hand to brush her hair out of her face before turning to face her daughter. “I don’t know, Anna,” she said with a shake of her head. “I mean, you still have school and your responsibilities to your church group, and rehearsals, and lessons.”

“Mom, please?” Annaleigh asked, adopting a wounded look.

“I don’t know, honey.” Caroline didn’t look at her but instead turned her attention towards Ryan. “You’d be so far away, in a town we’ve never been to before. Your father couldn’t get off work. I couldn’t get off work. There’s just so many…temptations out there in that kind of business.” Ryan’s eyebrows twitched, but he didn’t say anything.

“But-but, you just said earlier that you thought it was a great opportunity for Lance,” Annaleigh said with a huff of annoyance. “Ma, that’s not fair.”

“The Timberlakes called for Lance specifically, Sweet Pea,” Caroline said, turning back towards her daughter, pressing a hand to her cheek; she rubbed her thumb back and forth.

I don’t believe this, Annaleigh thought to herself, feeling her jaw drop slightly. She was all for it just a minute ago. “It’d be a learning experience, Ma,” Annaleigh tried again. “I could learn all about recording studios and—“

“We’ll discuss this with you later, Anna,” Ryan interrupted her in a firm tone and Annaleigh sighed, dropping the subject, her shoulders drooping. “I need to talk to your mother first.”

“Fine, sure,” Annaleigh replied with a sigh through her nose as the doorbell rang. “Coming.” She then left the kitchen and headed to the front door. Grasping the handle and swinging it open, a bag was shoved into her chest as Jasmine Dale stepped across the threshold. “It’s about time.”

“Tell me about it,” Jasmine replied with a roll of her eyes. “You know guys, waiting until the last minute to get ready for dances.” She jerked her thumb towards the front door as Darren and Lance stepped into the house. “Even I have to admit, these two dweebs clean up pretty nicely.”

I’ll say, Annaleigh thought to herself as she set Jasmine’s bag down onto the ground.”Eh, they look good, I guess,” she commented before giving Darren a small wave in greeting.

“Thanks, Ace,” Lance said with a roll of his eyes. “Nice to see you, too.”

“Nice shoes,” Darren commented, his head angled down towards Annaleigh’s feet.

Annaleigh looked down at her feet and saw that she was still standing in her high heels and quickly kicked them off. “Oh, uh, yeah, thanks. Mom just got them…for me,” she muttered. She looked over at Lance and saw the knowing look on his face and she shot him a look that was all ‘shut up.’ He merely shrugged, smiling. “But, that doesn’t matter. Lance, has your mom changed her mind about Orlando?”

Lance shook his head, a frown coming to his face. “I don’t know how she expects me to even pay attention to Homecoming knowing that we’re still getting calls from Justin Timberlake,” he commented.

“Your date is the one with the problem, not you,” Annaleigh replied with a smirk before turning on her heels to step into the living room to grab the camera that was sitting on the TV housing unit. “Ok, you guys ready?"

“Don’t you two just look so cute together?” Jasmine cooed, clasping her hands together, her nose wrinkling as she smiled.

“Funny,” Darren commented making a face at his sister before turning back towards Annaleigh, passing her a clear box with a rose in it. “This is for you. Just thought you’d…you know, since no one invited you to the dance.”

Annaleigh didn’t know whether to be flattered by the gesture—I mean hello he had basically given her a rose—or that much more upset by not being able to attend Homecoming.  At the same time, it wasn’t that big a deal, not a lot of freshmen were ever asked to Homecoming by an upper classman anyway. What it really came down to, not that she’d ever say it out loud, but she felt that due to her only being a Freshmen and her two friends as Juniors, that she was being left behind, and wanted to do as much with them as possible before they graduated.

“Thanks," Annaleigh finally managed to get out, a smile coming to her face. The plastic let out a squeak and a pop as Annaleigh opened the top.

“Come on, Darren, put it on her,” Jasmine said with a roll of her eyes before she grasped her brother’s arm, pulling him towards Annaleigh before tossing her friend a smile over her shoulder. “Homecoming tradition and all.” She then took the camera from Annaleigh’s hand, holding it up towards her eye. “Smile!”

Homecoming tradition, my foot, Annaleigh thought to herself, giving Jasmine a small glare. Darren, however, didn’t seem to be bothered as he gave her a warm smile, taking the container from her hands, his fingers brushing up against hers, sending a shiver down her spine. Darren lifted the corsage from the box and slipped the elastic band across her wrist.

“Thanks,” Annaleigh said with a shy smile. She blushed when Darren winked, stepping back from her.

“You’re welcome,” he replied. He then paused when he realized that she was staring at him. “What?” He ran his hands down the front of his shirt. “Did I button up my shirt, wrong?”

"No, you just, uh, look different," Annaleigh quickly replied, feeling her face heat up as she gave him a weak smile. “That's all. Good, different. You look good. Great, really." She caught Lance’s eye and he quirked an eyebrow. Smooth, Ace. Just stop talking.

“Thanks,” Darren replied with a smile. His eyes then moved to a spot over her shoulder. “Evening, Mr. and Mrs. C.”

“Well don’t you two look handsome,” Caroline said with a wide smile. She had her hand up to her necklace, sliding the charm on the end, back and forth on its chain. “You sure have grown to be mighty fine young men.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Lance replied.

“Your dates aren’t going to know what hit ‘em,” Ryan added from where he was leaning in the doorway. He used his thumbnail to scratch at his top lip, a look of annoyance briefly passing over his face when Caroline snorted.

Annaleigh’s eyebrows twitched as she looked back and forth between her parents before looking over at Jasmine, who shrugged, and then over at Lance who was adjusting his tie and then back at her parents. Something was off, she could just feel it, but had no idea how to bring it up even if she wanted to.

“Alright, pictures,” Caroline said clapping her hands together. “Let’s get some in before you’re late picking up your dates. And I already know Diane would throw a fit if she missed the opportunity to get pictures of you and your dates.” She took the camera from Jasmine and waved her hand. “Girls, go stand next to them. Come on, come on.”

Annaleigh rolled her eyes, mouthing an apology to her friends before moving to stand next to Lance, wrapping her arm around his waist. “If you say anything, I’ll hurt you,” she said through her teeth sa she smiled for the camera.

“I don’t doubt it,” Lance whispered back. “But, for someone who doesn’t want Darren to know, you’re being really obvious.”

“Can’t help it,” Annaleigh replied, through her smile. The camera shutter clicked and she looked up at him. “Was I being that obvious?”

“Considering you’re not a shy person,” Lance replied, “yes.” Annaleigh cringed and then instantly brightened when Caroline called her out on it. “Just tell him.”

If only it was that simple, Annaleigh thought to herself with a brief role of her eyes. Caroline then took pictures of Darren and Jasmine together and Lance and Annaleigh before taking a few pictures of the two boys together before they headed back out the door to head to the school dance.

“Is that popcorn I smell?” Jasmine asked, grabbing Annaleigh’s attention. She turned on her heels and followed her friend into the kitchen. She punched the air with her fists when she saw the bowl sitting on the table. “That’s some mighty fine hospitality, Ms. Carr.”

“You can thank my mom for that,” Annaleigh replied with a small laugh. “Sorry about her, by the way. You know how she gets with ‘milestones’.” Annaleigh used air quotes around the word as Jasmine dug her hand into the bowl of popcorn. She then glanced at the kitchen door. “They’ve been actin’ strange lately.”

"That's fine," Jasmine replied with a smile before shoving her handful of popcorn into her mouth. She crunched down loudly before nodding at the corsage on her friend’s wrist. “Dare made a big deal about that, by the way. Getting you the perfect corsage.”

Annaleigh looked up in alarm. “What?” she asked, feeling her cheeks heat up. “Why?”

Jasmine shrugged. “Didn’t want you to feel left or whatever,” she replied.

A small smile came to Annaleigh’s face before it was quickly replaced by a look of confusion. “Wait a minute,” she said, looking over at her friend, putting her hand on her hip. “Didn’t you get invited to Homecoming?”

Jasmine grinned.

She was one of the few Freshman that had been invited and Annaleigh didn’t blame any guy that asked her out. She was one of the most popular girls in her class, partially due to her love for softball. Having been named MVP of the season the year before, she had a bright future ahead of her.

“I couldn’t leave you here by yourself,” Jasmine replied, planting her hand on her hip. “Especially since my idiot of a brother wouldn’t ask you. Not like I didn’t drop hints or anything.”

“Unfortunately, Jazzy, nothing’s going on between me and your brother,” Annaleigh commented, grabbing a paper plate from the stack at the edge of the table, starting to load it with chips and salsa. “Not like he’d pay attention to me or anything.”

“He got you a corsage,” Jasmine pointed out.

“You know what I mean,” Annaleigh replied. “I don’t know…that was just a friendly thing. Why would he pay attention to me? I mean, he’s been all around the US singing and dancing and performing.” She shrugged and licked her fingers free of salt and salsa juice. “I’ve barely done anything worthwhile or notable. He and Lance became friends because of Showstoppers and Seven Card Stud and everything. Maybe if I got good with singing…forget it, it’s stupid.”

“My brother is stupid, not you or your feelings,” Jasmine replied with a shake of her head. She used her hands to gather her hair into a ponytail before dropping her hair back down around her shoulders. “Besides, I think he likes you, too. “

"Yeah, right,” Annaleigh replied with a brief shake of her head. “Can we talk about something else? Like, how totally unfair my parents are being?” Jasmine grabbed the bowl of popcorn and followed Annaleigh out of the kitchen, through the living room, and up the stairs towards her room. “I asked them, like I planned to, if I could go to Orlando with Lance if Diane said he could. Dad pretty much said ‘no’ and mom was all gung ho for the idea of Lance heading down to Orlando, but not my going with him.”

“Did you tell her that you’d be able to learn how music is professionally recorded and everything?” Jasmine asked with a frown, settling down on her friend’s bed.

“That was the hard sell and she still didn’t go for it,” Annaleigh said with a nod. “I think they were starting to fight, too. They’ve been doing that a lot lately.”

She always remembered her parents being so happy and so in love with each other, that she didn’t notice the arguing at first. Or she didn’t want to notice. Or maybe her parents were just trying hard not fight around her, but the thing was, was that it was starting to worry her.

“You don’t think they’re getting a divorce or anything, do you?” Jasmine asked.

“No way,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head. “You know my dad, he sees divorce as a sin and they still love each other. They’ve just been fighting now and then.” She let out a heavy sigh. “I just want to get out of Clinton. I want to get away from the fighting and from…everything. I want to see what Orlando is like and how hard it is to really get into the business.” She scooped a glob of salsa onto her chip before sticking it into her mouth, loudly chewing. “I know going to Orlando is the right thing, but dad is worried that I’m just following Lance, like I supposedly always do.”

“Welllll.” Jasmine held out the word, looking around the room.

“Oh, Jazzy, not you, too,” Annaleigh said with a shake of her head. Jasmine gave a small grin. Annaleigh frowned. “Do I really do that?”

“It’s just that...I think you rely on him too much, sometimes,” Jasmine replied with a gentle smile. She put her hands up defensively. ”There’s nothing wrong with loving to sing and wanting to perform, or even wanting to get out of Clinton. I want that for you, too.”

“I’ll do it,” Annaleigh replied, a look of determination crossing her face. “With or without Lance…this is just the first step towards that. We’ll get down to Orlando. You’ll see.”

 

Chapter End Notes:
Hey, guys. Sorry it took so long for me to update this. Things just got in the way. House of Cards will be udated real soon. Hope you guys liked this chapter. :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: debutsync presync originalcharacter bestfriendl