"Meredith! Car's coming in fifteen!" JC yelled from the bottom of the steps for her.

The day had arrived. After all the work and preparation, the gala was upon them.

Upstairs, she carefully applied a coat of red lipstick and swept gold coloured powder across her eyes. Her dark brown hair was set in loose flowing curls that hit her bare shoulders. A cloud of hairspray put everything in it’s place.

With a final spritz of perfume on her wrist, she grabbed her gold heels and clutch to race down the steps.

JC caught a glimpse of her in the hall as he straightened his red jacket. He had two blazers for the night; red for Meredith’s party, white and black for Lance’s.  

The strapless red gown hugged every curve of her body and was accented with gold tulle at the neckline. He had to catch his breath for a moment.

“Wow. Ms Carson, you look stunning,” he replied, kissing her neck.

She took a moment to straighten the gold necklace around her neck and make sure her hair was right.

“Thank you, Mr. Chasez. You are equally handsome, this evening.” She casually straightened his tie and a moment later they walked out to meet the awaiting car.

“No matter what happens tonight, I’m so proud of you. For all the work you’ve put into this and how it’s come all together. Ready?”  He opened the door to the car.

After a huge exhale, she replied, “I sure, hope so.”

Both galas had sold out almost instantly, and at $425 a pop, there was a lot at stake for charity.

The entrance of the hotel, roped off with velvet velour roping, had two pathways. One for Lance’s party entrance, one for Meredith’s. Photographers and interviewers were already clamoring for a few words from both of them. The walkways met in the middle before splitting again into Meredith’s gold and red soiree and Lance’s black and white masquerade.

JC escorted Meredith to Lance’s side as flashbulbs went off in every direction.

“Meet you inside,” JC said, as Lance took her hand. They posed for a few pictures, and answered questions down the line before making their way inside.

“Wow. JC prepped me a little for that, but it’s a little intense,” she said, as they split into their hallways.

“Always part of the job,” Lance answered, giving her a kiss on the forehead. “Good luck! We’re both winners tonight.”

She smiled at him. A tiny part of her wanted to beat him, but either way would be great for both charities.

As she entered the left side ballroom, everything looked magnificent. Gold and red candles lit up the walkway with fresh balsam and holly wreaths on every table. The stage was set with gold ribbons and bright red ornaments suspended from ribbons.

The buffet table was lined with chefs and entrees ranging from prime rib, and garlic chicken to shrimp, sea bass and calamari. Fresh steamed broccoli rabe salad and bacon wrapped asparagus were neatly laid out next to simmering bowls of golden mushroom soup. The dessert table was equally impressive with chocolate champagne cake, red and gold macaroons and a vanilla pear tea cake.

“You got this Meredith,” Logan replied as he stuffed a crab cake into his mouth. “So good.”

“I sure hope so, Logan.”  

She snuck a peek into the hallway and saw Lance emerge for a moment. His masquerade black and white themed party was in full swing. JC had just gotten off stage with him after singing “Winter Wonderland.” He’d quickly changed his suit jacket back to red.

Damn it! A masquerade party, she thought, how smart is he to think of something like that?  

JC grabbed her shoulder and she jumped. “Spying, I see?”

“Not spying...I was watching you sing. That’s not spying”

He pulled him onto the dance floor and rested she her head on his shoulder. “I guess you’re right.”

They swayed through the slow song as Meredith took it all in. The gala was packed with people. Celebrities and beneficiaries for the charity. Everything was looking good.

Logan grabbed a champagne flute and a napkin and turned to his boss.

"So, why do your napkins say "JMC" on them?" He held one up to the light to admire the detail.

Meredith looked up in horror as she choked on her drink. "Oh my god," she whispered, ripping it out of his hands. "Those are the ones I ordered for the wedding! Joshua & Meredith Chasez."

JC stifled a laugh and picked one of them up. "So... what does that stand for now?"

Logan took a swig of champagne and thought for a moment. "Just Meredith Carson. If anyone asks tonight, when you win this thing, that's what you can name the show. Just put featuring Logan Grimm in tiny print at the bottom"

"Oh Logan, you're a genius," she exclaimed, giving him a hug.  "You may have just saved my ass!"

As the party wore on, Meredith had to avert a crisis with raw calamari on the buffet table right after she’d eaten it. Logan and JC whisked it out quickly, but she had a feeling between all the party commotion, pledges coming in, and anxiety, she was getting ill.

JC came over right before he had to sing. “You feeling alright?”

Reaching for a glass of water, she shook her head. “Leave it to me to eat the calamari.”

He checked his watch as Meredith studied the scene of people in the room, taking it all in. The ballroom was packed and a steady stream of people were trickling in and out. The red and gold tables were full, conversation was lively. The music from the band was playing softly as a few random couples made their way to the dance floor.

JC’s voice shook her from her thoughts

“Hey. Meredith... It’s stagetime. Let’s go. ”

He kissed her cheek and took her hand to escort her to the stage area. He took the stage and applause rang out all over the ballroom.

“Thank you everyone. We all know how important a night this is for our charity, for Sirius Radio and especially for Ms.Meredith Carson. I, in a matter of a few short weeks, get to make that  lovely woman sitting at table 2 my wife.”

Roaring applause came from every corner of the ballroom and Meredith could feel herself blush as the spotlight went from JC to her. It had suddenly gotten warm in the room. Logan sat next to her fanning her with his napkin.

JC continued. “We’re raising money for the ARTS Program. “A Reason To Survive” The arts were always a huge part of my life, Meredith’s life and we’ve come out in support tonight.  Now, I happen to know this is Meredith’s favorite song, so I couldn’t not sing it tonight.”

The opening notes of “Guess It’s Christmas Time,” rang though and she felt tears come to her eyes.

JC’s voice, as magnificent as ever, arranged the song into solo form perfectly. As the song ended, he blew a kiss in her direction. She walked up to grab the microphone from him on stage and pulled him into a tight hug.

“You’re the best,” she whispered in his ear. “I don’t even care anymore if I don’t get this.”

His eyes sparkled as he announced her as tonight’s gala host. “Meredith Carson everyone!”

He escorted her offstage and planted a firm kiss on her lips, away from prying eyes. She gladly reciprocated, not caring who was watching. She heard Logan give a “woot!” as they broke.

Lance and Meredith both broadcasted details about their charities and their galas respectively through their programs and the pledges came through quickly.  A special set of phone numbers directed sponsors and donations to the respective charities.

With JC emceeing the entire event, they both watched as monetary pledges came in.

Ending totals for the night were; Lance Bass $59, 124.34

   Meredith Carson $57, 016.46


She snapped her fingers, a bit disheartened as she met Lance’s sympathetic smile from across the room.  

“So close. That’s still a tremendous amount for charity. And you know what?  I’m okay with that,” Meredith smiled as JC soothingly rubbed her shoulders.

“I’m proud of you, baby. You have nothing to be ashamed of, Mere”

And she wasn’t. But the glittery room was beginning to take on an ugly hue. As they walked towards the car, the hallway seemed to spin.  

“Jace, will you walk me to the bathroom?” She weakly grabbed his hand.

“Yeah, of course. You okay?” His concerned face took on surprise as she bolted for the bathroom door. “Meredith?”

A moment later, he heard her retching and ran in after her. “Who decided calamari was a good idea on that damn buffet?”

“Logan! That was Logan’s idea!”

As she got sick once again, JC knelt down next to her. “Come on. I’m taking you to the ER.”

“No,” she protested, trying to get up. “Just home. Please. Too much excitement for one day.” She ran cool water over her hands and searched for gum in her purse.

“Meredith... really, I should take you to the hospital.” JC stood over her, his cool hands on her shoulders. “I’ll call for an ambulance.

“Jace, just take me home, please. I’m just sick. It’s finally all hit me at once.” She pulled her hair into a messy, curly bun, not caring about her appearance anymore.

Disapprovingly, he shook his hand as he took her in his arms. “Okay, come on, baby.”

Lance stood near the entrance and rushed up noticing Meredith’s sallow appearance. “Everything okay? Meredith, oh, no.”

“I’ll be fine, Lance. Never again with the calamari,” she replied, as JC steadied her. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow. It worked tonight. You definitely gave me a run for it. Those totals were impressive.”

His green eyes looked at her sympathetically. “Thanks. People get generous around the holidays.”

“I gotta take my poor girl home. It’s been a night. I’ll call you later, man,” JC said, holding on to her tightly.

“Take care of her, JC. You’ve got one hell of a gal on your hands.”

He took off his jacket and wrapped her shivering figure in it. When they finally got outside, he whisked her up and carried her to the car.

She collapsed onto his shoulder as they drove home. She barely made it upstairs before JC simply carried her to bed, made her change clothes, and tucked her in. A moment later, he came back with two aspirins and a glass of water.

“Take that. All of it, and just sleep,” he said, with a smile. “You’re amazing. I’m so proud of you tonight.”

As he turned, she reached for his arm. “ Thank you for everything tonight. Come to bed already ”

“In a few minutes. Promise,” he said, kissing her forehead.

As he turned out the lights in their bedroom, he pulled out his phone to dial Lance. “Hey. Yeah she’s fine. You both put on a great gala tonight. Congratulations from the both of us, man. But I need you to do one more thing for me. Put her on your show. As a favor to me. Temporarily, as a guest or something for a talking point. It’ll be good for the both of you.”

“Yeah, of course I can. I’m glad she’s okay. I sent her a text. We have a meeting with Sirius in the morning.”

“Thanks man. We’re both grateful.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc lance