JC loaded another box into the back of Meredith’s car, trying to play tetris with the arrangement.

“Joshua, there’s two more,” she called, as he made his way back up the steps.

He studied the current arrangement of boxes and sighed. “Honey, there is no more room in that Passat of yours.”

“Not my problem, Mr. ‘Sings at Everyone’s Events but Mine’.” She crossed her arms and loaded a bag of ribbons into the car.

“Can I make it up for you? I can get Mario Lopez to show up. Justin as consolation?”

“NO! You sing everywhere but where you’re needed. I’m not happy with you.”

“Meredith, don’t do that! Where are your keys?”

"Always with the keys, JC! 

She tossed them at him and hopped in the car. It was almost like payback to watch him struggle to place the last two boxes within the confines of the car and have the trunk not shut.

He got into the car and reached for her hand. “Can you be a little easier on me? Please?”

She leaned info a kiss as he started the car. “Okay, okay. Bringing down the stress level because I’m running on max.”

The radio was filled with Christmas music as they drove to the hotel.

“He’s making a list, checking it twice,” Meredith sang out. “Gonna see JC’s naughty, not nice.”

“Very funny,” he said rolling his eyes and switching the station.

“It’s true,” she said, as they pulled up. Logan had showed up and was already moving chairs to the appropriate ballroom.

“Trouble in paradise?” He gave her a look as JC moved boxes into the room.

“He’s.... testy today.. I’m.. testy today... Just go with it.”

Immediately she started in on delegating jobs for both her fiance and her assistant. She grabbed her own supplies and started to piece together how everything would look.

"Okay, one tree goes there, and another by that table. And the staircase entrance needs lights. I need you to rope them around the staircase."

JC fiddled with his phone and looked at the two trees Meredith wanted him to move. "Both trees and the lights?"

"Yes, JC. I'm going to get table centerpieces."

Fifteen minutes later as she set up another table and draped tablecloth over it, she watched as JC set down the Christmas tree and reached for his phone.

"So, about those staircase lights? Baby, I really need your help. I have so much to do."

"Mmhmm." JC murmured without looking up from his phone.

"Will you put them on the staircase? You know, like sometime this season?" She continued setting tables, watching him not move from the doorway.

"Okay, okay already. Where do you want these lights?" He roped the lights around his wrist and walked upstairs.

"The staircase, for the third time. What's your deal? Simple directions. Stop being Grinchy."

He frowned as he played with the string of lights on the staircase. "I am not Grinchy. You’re already upset over the gala.”

“I’m upset because you won’t clear plans with me. Simple plans.”

“This is not about Lance’s party! And this just seems like way too much work for one day."

"What's that suppose to mean? This is a big deal, Jace."

"For one night."

She placed a bow on the entryway and stopped. "Oh. Let’s see. Kind of like our wedding?" she asked quietly.

His face fell in shock. "What? No! That's not what I meant! Why'd you have to take it there?"

She put her hand up. "Just stop JC. I'm so stressed out over this, it's making me ill. If you don't want to help me, just go home!"

"Meredith!"

Meredith felt the tears sting her eyes as she walked out of the conference room and to her office.

She closed the door to her radio booth and sat there, trying to hold it in. A moment later, the dam broke and she lay her head in her hands. Did he really not care at all?

Her head was spinning. As she sobbed to herself, a tap on the glass of the studio made her jump. She looked up to see Lance open the door to the booth.

"Can I come in? Meredith, what's the matter? I thought you had that holiday party to plan for. You know, the one to rival my own?"

"Hi Lance," she said sheepishly wiping at her runny mascara. "I do. JC's in the conference room. Or at least he was helping me set up. He just doesn't care this year."

"Yeah, he does. Holidays are stressful enough when you don’t have a wedding coming up. Give him some space and he’ll do anything for you.”

“Anything? You really think so?”

“I’ve seen the way he looks at you. That is a man head over heels in love with you.”

She wiped her eyes. “Maybe he was right after all. Maybe this was way too much for me to take on.”

“You’re over halfway there. It would be silly to just give up. Come on. Give me a run for my money, Meredith. For charity.”

“Well since you’ve already booked my soon-to-be husband as entertainment.” She spun her chair around angrily.

“What?” Lance’s face fell as his voice rang out. “Oh my god! You didn’t know? Damn it JC!”

JC’s voice came from down the hallway before he surfaced in the doorway. “I’m going to kill you, Lance. This wasn’t suppose to happen. Damn it! You’re not suppose to put another man between his fiancee and friends!”

He took a look at Meredith’s saddened face and sat down next to her. “Honey, please don’t cry... I’ll sing at your gala! I... I’ll sing at both galas that night. Or neither.”

“NO!” Lance and Meredith yelled together.

Meredith laid her head on the soundboard in defeat. “Damn it! If that’s not an edge, then I don’t know what is!”

“Both then?” He shrugged and looked for answers in both of their faces. “Or I can get one of the artists I work with to sing at both galas.”

Lance put his hand up to interject. “In my defense, I didn’t really think this through. I just figured JC would sing, not factoring the fiance part into the plan. If I can take one of your artists, then make the call. Meredith he’s all yours.”

JC’s eyes met Lance’s rather nervously. “If Meredith says yes, I’ll sing at both.”  

She tapped her nails anxiously as she and Lance exchanged glances. “Fine. But you’ll emcee my gala during the live broadcast portion, JC.”

He sighed in defeat. “I can work with that. I’m not any better off either way.”

“Just e-mail me what you’re going to sing and we can work it out,” Lance said, walking out the door. “Easy.”

JC cocked an eyebrow at Lance  “You’re dreaming if you think I’m singing ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’, with you!”

“Perfect! We rehearse tomorrow before the gala!"

He exchanged a glance with Meredith. “That’s just what I needed.”

“Welcome to holiday stress, Mr. Chasez,” she said, as she planted a kiss on his cheek. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc lance