Story Notes:

For my secret santa, acciolovesongs 

I apologize for sucking and not posting it on time, but better late than never!!!  

"Good morning, Los Angeles! How are you this fine December day? Meredith Carson here, for your morning commute on Radio XM’s ‘Meredith in the Morning’. Let's count here. There are 6 days until Christmas and if you haven't even started that Christmas shopping, I'd be in panic mode. Guys, I'm talking to you. Ladies, if you need to find a man to accompany you to that holiday or upcoming new years party, you know where to find them? The day before Christmas scrambling at the mall, doing that ultimate last second shopping. Alright I'll update your traffic report in just a few minutes. Until then here's a dose of Christmas music to start your day. Good Morning!"


She pushed the button on the switchboard in front of her, queued up a song another song on her screen and rested her headphones around her neck as Michael Buble's version of "Let It Snow" went through the airwaves. Meredith Carson's morning radio program had become a way of life for her. 4 AM commutes to work made her slightly envious as she gently kissed her fiance's sleeping figure goodbye. He got to stay in bed while she readied herself for her show.

Earlier that year she had proposed what she thought was a rather brilliant idea to her fiance JC.

"One of these days, I'm going to start broadcasting from home. In my pajamas so I don’t have to leave you in the mornings," she told him. We can put my studio in the lower level of the house. You know, next to your home studio? It could be my Christmas gift this year."

JC Chasez shook his head as she settled into his lap. "Right. I'll get right on that, Meredith. After the twenty Christmas songs I have to record and produce with twenty different artists."

"I thought you said that Christmas albums are recorded in the other eleven months of the year, Mr. Producer," she said, poking him in the ribs.

"They are. 120 different versions of the same eight Christmas songs. You've never had to sing "White Christmas" in the middle of July, when it's 106 degrees out and there's a plastic tree sitting next to you and tinsel on your microphone."

He had a point.

As the song rolled on, she quickly checked her emails. December was going to be a busy month. The light caught her engagement ring, bringing out the stone’s glimmer.  Not only were they on the cusp of the holiday madness, her upcoming wedding to Mr. JC Chasez was less than a month away. Right after the new year, in a very intimate and private ceremony, they would exchange their vows on the sandy beaches of the Cayman Islands and start their honeymoon there.  

JC had been more than adamant on getting her together with a premier wedding planner, but she firmly insisted that a wedding planner was only there for show. They both wanted a low key, intimate wedding, but there were so many details yet to attend to and Meredith was stubborn.

Her focus reverted back to her radio program and she cut to an advertising break when her assistant Logan tapped on her door.

"What's up Logan?"

The young sandy haired man rushed in and took a seat next to her. "This is HUGE. Meredith, have you heard?"

"Heard what?"

Logan pushed his seat closer to her and clicked through her email. He pulled up a document from the head of the Sirius Radio corporation on his tablet. "They've picked two jockeys to have a holiday party for charity. The soiree and DJ that raises the most cash for charity gets an extra Christmas bonus, a new time slot for their program, a ton of promo for their show, first picks for guest lineups. The works."

"Yeah, I'm listening."

"Look at the list."

She took his tablet and scrolled down the page. "What? Oh my god. No way."

"Way. Oh, JC left you a message. He's meeting you for lunch at the cafe down from the station at 11:35."

She stifled a laugh as he handed her a note. "Trust me, that means at least 12:15 in Chasez time."  

Later that afternoon, after her show had wrapped, she made her way to the parking garage. As she looked at her blue Jetta, her heart sank. Pulling out her phone, she made a call she didn't want to have to make.

"Damn it. Pick up the phone Jace, " she said aloud.

"Meredith, " he answered. "Hi. I know, lunch at 11:35. I'm on my way. I'm stuck in traffic."

"You're going to hate me," she blurted out. "You remember that thing you keep reminding me to be careful of? That thing you told me not to do?"

She heard him sigh over the phone. "Mere! Not again! Third time this week!"

She pulled on the handle of her car door once more to check. "I know, I know. My keys are definitely locked in the car... Again."

JC sighed again. "Okay. Let's not panic. I'll pick you up at the station and then go get the spare keys. I'm telling you. You and keys don’t go together. House keys, car keys..."

He was right. She’d lost her house keys just last month, and a set of keys to her office at Sirius 6 months prior. "Unfortunately, I agree."

“Be there soon.”

She walked back to her office cursing under her breath as she struggled to open the door. “Shit.” .
“Ah. Such a pretty lady, such a dirty little mouth,” she heard a voice drawl from behind her.  

She was no longer in the mood for this as she stomped her heel in frustration.  

“Oh will you just,” she started as she turned around and came face to face with none other than
fellow Sirius personality and friend, Lance Bass. Her mood quickly did a turn around when she met his green eyes.

“Oh my gosh, Lance,” she exclaimed, embracing him. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen you.”

“I know. It has been a while. And on that note, the next time I see you, you’ll be a happily married woman, Mrs. Chasez.” He lifted her hand to look at the engagement ring. “What a sparkler!”

“Carson-Chasez.” she corrected. “Although JC doesn’t like that at all. That might be a fight over that.  Less than a month and so much stress.”

“But it’ll all be worth it in the end. And I’ll be waiting for a dance with the bride.”

“You’d better believe it. What are you doing in LA? You’re primarily based in NYC.”

“Have you seen the jockey list lately?”

She bit her lip pensively and met his eyes. “Yes...”

Logan passed her a message and smiled. “This is going to be good!”

“So.... you’re my holiday party competition,” Lance smiled. “Out of all the people!”

“I guess so... Your party planning versus mine. How does this work?” She struggled with the door again.

“So, the hotel next to Sirius is throwing the party. You get one ballroom, I get the other. Each of us have a charity that we have to raise money for through sponsors, donations, appearances ticket sales, our radio shows etc.”

“Okay,” she said, finally kicking the office door and it opened swiftly.

Lance followed her in. “I’m raising money for Trevor Project. Remember the gala JC sang at last year?”

“Of course I do.  I’ll have to do some research to pick a charity”

“You can’t hire a party planner. That’s against the rules. Other than that, there are few limitations. We have a meeting about it sometime soon. You’ll do great, I know you will.”

“Oh...Thanks Lance. Hey, can you come to lunch? JC’s picking me up in a few minutes.”

He shook his head. “Wish I could, but I’ve got a meeting to attend..”

“Hey there,” JC’s voice came as he strolled into her office. He set his sunglasses on his head and leaned on the doorway. “Hey Lance. Broadcasting in LA now?”

Lance got up to give the older man a hug. “Something like that. Your future wife will tell you all.”

“My future wife had better stop locking her damn keys in the car on a weekly basis,” he scolded, tossing her another set. A stern look flashed her way and Lance let out a laugh.  

“Oh, I love you.” She caught them in the air and ran up to kiss him. “Off to lunch. See you later, Lance.”

When they got to the cafe, Meredith studied the menu rather inattentively. Now her head was spinning with ideas for both the gala and the wedding.

“Just a salad. I feel like I’ve been stress eating lately, and I only have one more fitting for my wedding dress. The last time I was at the bridal boutique, we had to adjust the lacing on my dress,” she remarked.

JC smiled and his eyes drew her in. “Does it matter that much?”

“You would say something like that. Now, I have news for you.”

“I’m listening.” he replied and leaned in a bit closer.

“Well...I found out today that I’m competing against Lance for charity to throw the Sirius Christmas party.”

He stopped for a moment processing what she’d said.

“Lance? Lance Bass? That Lance we just saw?”

“JC, how many other Lances’ do you know?” She rolled her eyes.  

“Woah. Babe, you understand what you’re up against? Lance has always thrown a mean New Year’s party. Like, the best. He knows party throwing.”

“Yes... but I can throw a party. I really think I can do this. This is a huge opportunity and it may give me a step up at Sirius.”

“If you think it’s not too much... you know, with the wedding and all?”

She flipped her dark locks over her shoulder. “I don’t. I think it’ll be great. Now I’ve got to do some research on a charity.”

“That’s a challenge. You don’t think it’ll be too much?”

“No, I really don’t. I need this. I just have to get everything together,” she responded, with a smile. “Did you ever call your brother about Christmas?”

“Already done. We’re flying out the day after I get done in the studio.”

“No... that’s the day of the Christmas party. We can’t. JC, you’ve gotta call and reschedule.”

His eyes scanned her disapprovingly. “Meredith, you can’t just pick up and move Christmas.”

She knew he was right. Their flight tickets had already been booked in advance. “Okay. I’ll mention moving the party. Although I hope that’s not a strike against me.”

“It’s Christmas. I’m sure they’ll understand.”  


















You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: jc lance