“Where are we going?” Jenna asked once more as she and Chris walked downtown. Her mother hadn't been happy that she'd been suspended but she'd pleaded to spend the day with Chris since he'd stood up for her.

“You'll see. Don't be so impatient,” Chris told her as they walked along. He grabbed her jacket and pulled her into the coffee shop they'd always talked about going into that had a line out the door every time they walked past it. Now there was a shorter line with tables open. “Sit and I'll order for us,” he told her, giving her a smile as he pulled her chair out. He'd tried hard not to notice how good Jenna looked, even though she was wearing the same thing she always wore; jeans and a shirt, along with tennis shoes, her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

“How do you know what I want?” Jenna inquired as he waved her off to go stand in line. Her mother had given her money, telling her to go have fun and see if she could find Chris something to give him for Christmas. She knew what he liked and disliked, but she still wasn't sure on what to get him. Her mind wandered as she people watched, jumping when Chris sat down beside her and said something. “You scared me, ya jerk,” she playfully smacked his shoulder.

“I said something to you two minutes ago,” he smirked, setting the cup down in front of her, as well as a pastry for each of them. “Let's see if this place is as good as what it's cracked up to be.”

“There's enough people in here, it should be,” Jenna told him, taking a sip of her drink. It was peppermint hot chocolate. She always added a candy cane to hers at home, loving the flavor. “Thanks,” she said, eying the gooey confection. “That good?” she asked Chris as he pulled his own cinnamon roll apart, popping some of it in his mouth. She laughed at him being silly, taking a bite of her own.

The two of them people watched, guessing what the other customers were ordering. More than once they laughed loud enough that they would get a glare from someone sitting around them. After throwing away their trash, the two friends walked downtown. They looked in shop windows at clothes they couldn't afford and both talked about the future.

“I really think you should sing,” Jenna told Chris, frowning when he shoved his hands in his pockets. “You love it. You're good at it.”

“I can love it and be good at it and still not make it. There's lots of people that love to sing and are good, Jen. What would make me any different?”

“Because you are passionate about it. And you want it for more than just yourself. You want your Mom and sisters not to have to worry about the things you do now. And you have friends that believe in you.”

Chris laughed. “So you'd come see me sing?” he asked, throwing an arm around her as they walked, pausing at a shop they went into sometimes. It was a pawn shop that also dealt with new items as well, everything was always 'on sale' according to the sign on the door.

“I'd be there in the front row, cheering the loudest,” Jenna answered him. “Let's go in,” she suggested. She walked with Chris as he looked at the televisions and then the electronics. They both looked through records and then perused the jewelry and other things that were on display in the cases.

“See something you like?” the man sitting there reading the paper asked, not getting up.

“No, just looking,” Chris told him, watching Jenna look over the jewelry. He spotted something he knew she'd like, making plans to get it once they'd left. It was from a pawn shop, but at the same time there was some very high end stuff at those places that people didn't want.

*^*^*^*^*^*
Jenna looped her arm through Chris's as they walked further away from downtown. They'd been in the pawn shop, a couple of clothing stores and the pharmacy. She'd found out the manager would be more than happy to have her help out over winter break while a few of her regular staff were out for the holidays. That had made her happy. Plus she'd found what she was going to get Chris. Or at least what she hoped she would get him. He was a sports nut and loved football. Jenna spotted a jacket with the Pittsburgh Steelers logo on it in one of the stores with a sign that said it was on sale. She just hoped it was there when she went to buy it. “So when are we exchanging gifts?” she asked him as the scenery changed around them.

“Christmas Eve as usual,” he replied, laughing when she sighed. Chris always held out until the last minute, usually when they were going up the steps of the church for midnight Mass. Jenna's family wasn't Catholic, but the Davis and Kirkpatrick families went together to celebrate the holiday.

The downtown turned to a park where they could ice skate and Chris pulled Jenna long in the direction of the man made ice rink. It wasn't as busy as it usually was since school was going on and soon the two friends found themselves slipping and sliding on the ice.

“You better not pull me down,” Jenna warned Chris as she tried to balance herself.

“I'll remember you said that, Kristy Yamaguchi,” Chris quipped back.

“Right back at you Scott Hamilton.”

Chris chuckled at her, then laughed when she slipped and fell, landing on her butt. What was even funnier was that he fell also just a few feet from where Jenna was attempting to get up. “Jen, that was hilarious,” he told her as he buried his face into his arm to keep from laughing so hard as he laid there.

“Yeah, well I hope you're cursed with arthritis in your knees and can't dance,” Jenna muttered back at him as he tried to quit laughing. It had beem quite a few years since she'd ice skated and it wasn't quite like learning to ride a bicycle. You didn't forget how to skate, just that it was still ice and there was a good possibility you would slip and fall no matter if you were a novice or a pro.

“That's not nice you know,” Chris gave her a grin and held his hand out to her to help her up, lacing his fingers through hers once she was steady and they both skated. Her hand felt warm in his, right. Familiar. After an hour they were both cold and ready to get off the ice. “What do you want to do now?” he asked as they both put on their shoes, not caring what they did as long as it involved getting warm.

“Let's get some hot cider,” Jenna pointed at a vendor that was selling hot chocolate and cider and decorated sugar cookies. It had been steady since they'd arrived and right then some cider sounded good. “I'm treating this time,” she bumped Chris's shoulder.

“Fine...I didn't want you helping me spend my hard earned money anyway,” he teased as they went to stand in line. “What are you wanting to do with your life? You always seem to be pushing me to do stuff. You're good at History and English. You always have your nose in a book or listening to music.”

“I'm not sure. I know I want to go to college if I can afford it. Probably major in Business with a minor in History or something,” Jenna shrugged. “I know I should know what I want to do with my life but I don't. It's kinda hard since everything revolves around money and I have next to none. That people thing less of me because my family isn't what is normal and all that.” Jenna's eyes met Chris's brown ones and she smiled. “Enough with my pity party,” she told him, ordering them both a large hot cider and some sugar cookies that were shaped like reindeer and a Santa one.

The park itself was pretty empty, finding a bench to sit on was easy enough. It was cloudy and looked like it could snow which made the whole winter scene that much better.

“So, about your Christmas present,” Chris started after he'd polished off two of the cookies. “What do you want me to sing?” he asked purposely when Jenna had her mouth full, knowing she hated that. “I'll pick,” he told her before she could swallow, getting up since it was harder to sing sitting down to get enough air.

“The first Noel, the angels did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay. In fields, where they lay keeping their sheep, on a cold winter's night that was so deep, Noel, Noel, Noel, No-el, born is the King of Israel,” Chris sang, seeing his breath come out and he grinned at Jenna staring at him singing. It wasn't that he thought he was the best singer ever, but with his best friend watching, he felt he could sing anything and it would be good. He went on to sing another song she liked and shrugged when she clapped. “So, Merry Christmas Jen. Don't ask for another thing...” his words were cut off when her lips met his quickly, her hands coming to either side of his face, mindful of his eye and the bruising around it. It was a surprise to him as he stared at Jenna after the kiss had ended. He wasn't sure what to say or do. What to say to her. She'd tasted like cider and the sugary confection and smelled good.

Jenna wasn't sure why she'd kissed Chris. She guessed it was because she'd thought about it some, knowing that if she was going to kiss a guy she would want it to be him. And he'd sang so beautifully and a thank you just seemed unworthy of what she'd just heard. “I'm sorry, Chris,” she started figuring she'd ruined their friendship. “I just-”

Chris pulled her back to him and returned the kiss she'd given him. “You just what?” he asked, grinning.

“There are some days being friends with you is the most aggravating thing ever!” Jenna yelled at him, not sure what was happening between them. “How is kissing me helping anything? ”

“It kept your lips warm, didn't it?” he grinned, letting her go as they walked back towards the rink and towards downtown, both of them quiet. “You want to come over and watch some television?” he asked after twenty minutes of silence stretched between them.

“Sure,” Jenna said, glad that she was still invited over to his house, hoping things hadn't changed between them. She didn't want things to change, she was happy the way they were, being friends. She hoped it would stay that way for a very long time. One of those people she could call at any time for anything she needed. A smile came to her lips as Chris tried to get her to sing a rowdy rendition of Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer with him the closer they got to their neighborhood. One thing was certain, Chris would never change. And that's what she loved about him.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“What's wrong?” Chris asked Jenna when he spotted her outside Our Holy Trinity Catholic Church. He could tell she'd been crying and looked upset. He could also see she was dressed up, a dress and coat on instead of her usual jeans. He smiled at the gift that was slipped down in his pocket, fingering it before embracing her in a hug. He saw his mother and Jenna's mother both talking and looking at the both of them. “Something happen?” he asked again when he heard her sniffle. “Jen?”

Jenna just held on to Chris tighter, knowing they needed to go into the church for the service. “We're moving,” she whispered, covering her face, her shoulders shaking after she'd let Chris go.

“Moving? When? Where...?” he stood there, not sure of what to say or do. The few days of school and now that they were on break, Jenna had never mentioned she might be moving. He saw his mother and sisters go in with Jenna's, not caring if they were a little late going on. “Stop, crying. Please, Jen..” he plead, pulling her back into him.

Jenna tried to quit crying, wiping her tears and leaning on Chris, to tell him what she'd only found out earlier that day. “Mom got a job in Chicago. We're going to live with my aunt and uncle up there until we find our own place. I have to have all of my things packed two days after Christmas,” her hazel eyes met his brown ones, attempting to smile when he wiped away her tears.

“Chicago's not that far away. We can call...write...all that stuff,” he told her. Chris anchored Jenna to his side as they went into the church. It pained him to think of her moving. It made the service mean a little more knowing his friend wouldn't be there beside him for only a few more days. “Merry Christmas,” Chris whispered to Jenna, slipping her the small jewelry box as the choir sang.

“That's cheating,” Jenna whispered back, smiling at the silver velvety box. Chris's present was in her Mom's car. She put it in her pocket and then slipped her fingers through his. She knew they would try to keep in touch. However, she also knew Chris and how busy he got with school and sports. It would be scary to go somewhere else and to make new friends. She shook those fears and thoughts off as they walked outside. She pulled Chris to where the car was parked and handed him the large box with a bow on it. “Merry Christmas,” she told him, smiling wide.

“Open yours first,” Chris said, wanting to know what she thought of her gift. He watched as she slipped the small ribbon off the box and opened it. “Do you like it?” he asked, running a hand through his hair, a little nervous about it. While he didn't consider it a romantic gift, it still was something he cared about giving her.

Jenna stared down at the golden music note on a beautiful chain. Her finger traced over it, not caring where it came from or what the cost was. It could have come from a quarter machine and she would love it. “It's gorgeous, Chris. Thank you.” She took the necklace out of the box and let him put it on her before insisting he open his present.

Chris pulled the box open and grinned. “This is awesome, Jen! Where did you find it?” he asked, the box clamoring on the ground as he slipped the jacket on. He didn't care if it was something he 'needed'. It was from one of his favorite teams, the tags still on the sleeve with the price tag ripped off. “I look cool, huh? And it's warm..” It was one of the heavy jackets like a letterman jacket with the Steelers logo on the back stitched on and on the front as well. He grinned at her, pulling her in for a hug. “You're the best,” he told her, ignoring the 'ewww gross' comments by his sisters and her brother.

“Look at the two of you,” Beverly told them. “I want a picture of the two of you with your gifts,” she said, pulling out her camera. She got a couple pictures of Chris and Jenna together, smiling at them. “I think I have a picture of the two of year every year since second grade.”

“We'll come say goodbye before we leave,” Trisha Davis told them all, watching her daughter and Chris hug once more. “The service was wonderful as usual.”

The two families lingered and talked, finally getting around to saying goodbye.

“Merry Christmas, Chris,” Jenna said, leaning in kissing him chastely on the lips.

“Happy Holidays, Jen,” he said, returning her kiss and blushing when his Mom caught them. “I can kiss my friend, Ma.” He let her go, pulling her back for one second to whisper in her ear. “Thanks for the jacket.”

“You're welcome,” Jenna gave him a grin before she got into the car. She fingered her necklace and smiled before tears pricked her eyes once more.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: christmas chris