Story Notes:
This story will eventually deal with rape. And there is a bit of controversy seeing as it does deal with a student/teacher eventually getting together. Chris is 25 and Melanie is 17. All alternate universe.
Melanie Chasez groaned for what seemed like the hundredth time.

It was her first day of senior year and she could not find her last class of the day.

She really thought she'd covered this whole building during orientation back when she'd started freshman year.

Apparently not, She ruefully decided.

Melanie's apprehension grew when she saw the yellow color of the lockers.

"This is freshman wing!" Melanie whimpered, putting her head in her hands. "Not good, so not good..."

She looked over at the clock and felt her tension mount.

If she didn't get a move on and figure out where in the hell she was supposed to be pronto, she was gonna be late.

That word was so foreign to her.

Melanie Chasez was going to be late.

Melanie could not be late, that just was not an option. She'd never been late for a thing in her life, and she sure as shit wasn't going to start now.

She looked up at the clock and realized she may not have a choice in the matter.

She was gonna be late for class and get...detention.

She could feel her nerves build up as she thought about what her parents would say...what they would do...to her.

Life really was a bitch and than you died was all Melanie could think right at this very moment.

She looked at the clock hanging on the wall.

Two minutes left.

Maybe if she really hauled ass, she could get the hell off this wing.

Melanie took off and started racing down the halls again. She was half way to the yellow lockers when she felt herself slam into a solid form, the impact of the force crashing them both to the ground.

Melanie moaned at the pain she felt in her back as fell to the ground. She could've sworn it cracked.

Not wanting this stranger she'd crashed into to see her tears, she hid her face in the floor.

"Oh my God," An older man's voice said full of worry and sorrow. "Kid, are you okay?"

Melanie took in a deep breath as she struggled to stop her tears. She couldn't let this guy see her cry, she couldn't. "I'll live," She croaked out.

The guy gently smiled at her. "You've gotta be hurt, I saw how you fell, straight onto your back. I bet it hurts like hell." She felt him gently touch her shoulder. "Here, let me help you up. I'll take you the nurse's office."

At that statement, Melanie found the strength to make her tears stop. That could not happen. If she went to the nurse's office, they'd call her parents, and if they called her parents, her parents would come down here and if her parents came down here....

Melanie felt her head spin at those ideas. Oh, no, no, no. That just was not an option.

She lifted her head and any words that were going to come out of her mouth completely died when her eyes met his.

Right in front of her face was the most gorgeous guy she'd ever laid eyes upon before in her life.

Their eyes met and for a brief second she felt like he was looking right into her soul and she was looking right into his.

"Hey," The guy gently touched her face and it made her shiver. "you're not gonna pass out on me, are you?" He shook his head. "You know what, it's okay. I'll just carry you to the office and it'll be okay..."

Just like that, Melanie got her senses back. "No!" She quickly shouted. "I don't need to go see the nurse. I am fine, I promise."

He looked hesitant. "Are you sure? You took a pretty bad fall."

Melanie smiled at his obvious concern. Back in the fifth grade she'd broken her arm falling out of a tree and her dad couldn't even be bothered to go to the hospital with her. She didn't even know this guy and he seemed to care more than her dad did.

"I'm positive." Melanie assured him. "I'm sorry about knocking into you like that. Are you alright?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." He looked into her eyes with a look she couldn't quite define. "You know, in the future you may not want to run so fast," His brow furrowed as she detected a hint of scolding in them. "Or at all."

"Right," Melanie quickly responded. "I shouldn't have ran into you at all, and I am so sorry about that. I never run like that usually, I promise."

Her eyes scanned over at the fallen papers out of a briefcase and she felt her heart stop.

A teacher.

She'd just ran into a fucking teacher.

Scratch that, she'd just been crushing on a teacher.

Just great, She thought worriedly. My first day was going fine and the last hour of the day, I’m gonna get detention for running in the halls and knocking a teacher down in the process. Just fucking great.

The older guy suddenly broke out into a laugh. "Relax kid, I'm just messing with you."

Melanie's eyes shot up. “Huh?” She already felt herself being so into him and the phrase ‘messing with you’ caused her mind to go places it really shouldn’t be going with a teacher.

He looked at her amused. “I was joking. You know? It’s that thing where someone says something and it’s like meant to be one of those things that makes the other person--”

“Right, right!” Melanie laughed nervously. “I get it. I get what joking means. I’m not retarded.”

He laughed along with her. “I’m sure you’re not. You do seem like you might be a little lost though, Miss…”

“Chasez.” Melanie supplied and didn't miss the look of recognition in the man's eyes. Sadly everyone in town knew of her family. “Melanie Chasez. Sorry, I seem to have forgotten my manners along with my common sense all of a sudden.”

He laughed again. “Hey, it’s fine. First days can be very rocky. Nice to meet you, Melanie. I am Chris Kirkpatrick, the kids call me Mr K though.”

Melanie was surprised. Teachers never introduced themselves to her by their full name. There was something so different about him. Almost like he could be the kind of guy she could talk to, even with him being a teacher and all.

Chris seemed to catch on to her surprise and he elaborated. “I like to try and get to know my students, so giving them my full name just seems to help ease things along.”

Melanie smiled. “What makes you think I’m one of your students?”

“Senior, right?” Chris said, pointing to her id pass.

Melanie lightly chuckled. “You caught me.”

Chris laughed also. “Well, seeing as with you being a senior and all….you have to take psychology in order to graduate…”

“So, you’re my psych teacher.” Melanie realized, her eyes held noticeable relief.

“You seem happy about that.” Chris noted. “Aw, were you worried you were gonna wind up with Mr Jazz?”

Melanie nodded. “Immensely.”

Chris laughed. “I would up stick for him, but he can be kind of a di--” He broke off as if he realized that he was talking to a student and not some girl he’d just met that was his own age. “Jerk. Big jerk.”

This time it was Melanie's turn to smile at him in amusement. “I think I’m gonna like you, Mr K.”

Chris smiled at her warmly. “I think I’m gonna like you too, Melanie.” He reached down and helped her gather her papers and books.

“Thank you,” Melanie smiled gratefully. “although, shouldn’t I be doing that? I mean, I did run into you. Still sorry about that.”

Chris looked up at her, his eyes suddenly serious. “Well, just don’t do it again. This is a school, not a playground.”

Melanie nodded, worry in her eyes. “I so will not, I promise. I was trying to find your class and not be late, but that’s no excuse. I shouldn’t have…”

"Melanie, Melanie!” Chris cut her off with a slight laugh. “I am messing with you!”

“Oh,” Melanie said and than gave a small smile. “You have to stop doing that to me. You’re like giving me two strokes in five minutes.”

“I’m that intimidating, huh?” Chris smirked.

Melanie rolled her eyes, feeling completely at ease with him now. “You’re a teacher. You could screw up my college plans, not to mention my record. Coming from two parents who expect nothing but perfection…”

“That’s just a parent’s right.” Chris smiled at her. “If they didn’t love you, they wouldn’t be on your case. Remember that."

“I wish they did,” Melanie muttered, sadness entering her eyes.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you. You okay?” Chris asked with concern.

Melanie quickly plastered on a fake smile. “Yeah, I’m fine.” A bell rings.

Chris laughed. “Well, I am totally late.”

“Me too,” Melanie sighed. “I was lost though, what’s your excuse?”

Chris appeared to look thoughtful before replying. “Injured by a student.”

Melanie laughed. “You’re funny.”

He shrugged. “Hey, I try.” He picked up his briefcase and stood up. “C’mon, I’ll show you to class. Unless, you were planning on skipping?”

Melanie smirked. “Oh my parents would just love that! On second thought, maybe I’ll do that. It’s always nice to freak them out.”

“You’re mean.” Chris noted with a hint of amusement.

Melanie rolled her eyes. “Oh, you don’t know my parents.”

Melanie stood up and she felt a shooting pain rip through her back. "Son of a bitch!" She slumped back to the ground and quickly covered her mouth. She really needed to quit while she was ahead with this guy.

Chris felt himself slightly chuckle at the look of mortification on the girl's face for swearing in front of him.

"Oh god. Please, don't give me a detention Mr Kirkpatrick." Melanie pleaded, tears nearly coming into her eyes and it made Chris's eyes soften. This poor girl was really afraid. "I wasn't expecting to feel such a sharp pain in my back like that, I'd never swear normally and..."

"Melanie, Melanie!" Chris knelt down to her level. "I am not going to give you a detention, okay? You're not even in my class yet and you didn't really do anything wrong. I get why you sweared." He gave her a small smile. "Take my hand, I'll help you walk to the nurse's office."

"No!" Melanie instantly responded. "I don't need to go, I'm fine."

Chris raised his eyebrow at her stubbornness. "Wow, you are really strong willed. Most girls would be happy to go to the nurse's station and get out of school an hour early."

"Yeah, well I'm not most girls, okay? I have no one to come get me anyway." Melanie told him. "My parents are really busy people and I have to keep moving. Life is hard and you can't just quit the moment things get rough."

Chris looked at her stunned. This girl couldn't be any older than seventeen, but he could've sworn he was talking to a twenty six year old. "I don't care how busy your parents are, Melanie....they're your parents. It's their job  to take care of you."

Yeah right, Melanie thought bitterly. They have never taken care of me. They may put a roof over my head and give me a five thousand dollar credit limit every month, but they haven't shown me love ever.

"I can take care of me, okay?" Melane responded. "I really need to finish this day. Don't make me go home, please."

Chris seemed to consider her for a moment before nodding his head. "I admire your strength, Melanie." Chris gently took her hand in his, helping her stand and watching her grimace. "I'm still taking you to the nurse's station. Make sure your back isn't fractured."

Melanie sighed. "Fine, okay. If you must. I don't want my parents bothered though, okay? They are busy people. They wouldn't be happy if you called them."

Chris helped Melanie walk down the hallway, his arm around her waist.

“They can’t be that bad,” Chris insisted.

“Tell ya what, you meet them and than we’ll talk.” Melanie retorted.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: school jc justin chris