Chapter 7

The next few days flew by and it was suddenly New Years Eve.  Rather than going off to NYC for the big bash up there, JC and Justin had set up their own little private party in Orlando.  All the guys decided to just stay there for the party instead of flying up to New York in all that mayhem.

They rented out a small hall for the big bash and sent out last minute invitations to all their friends and family.  Along with several of their celebrity friends like Nelly, Britney Spears, Pharrel, and Chad from the Neptune’s.  Along with many others.

They had pre-recorded a Happy New Year message when making the video, so they set it up with MTV to just use that instead of them coming up there, which seemed to work out fine.  It was just a one less set of celebrities MTV would have to worry about in all the madness of the New Years Eve show.

Zoë, was pissed off at first because she knew that JC had changed all his plans so he’d be able to stay in town for her.  But Justin convinced her it was all for the best.  That none of them really wanted to go to NYC, and mess with all that stuff anyways.

Zoë, showed up at the party with Link as her date.  They’d been spending more time together outside of work over the last few days.  Chris, had come to JC wanting to know who the guy was and JC had explained it to him.  “I got a bad feeling about him, C” Chris, had told him.  And JC agreed.  But he wasn’t about to get all up in Zoë’s personal business like that.  He knew she’d give him one hell of a tongue lashing, and he figured as long as the guy treated her right there wouldn’t be a problem.  But he vowed to keep an eye on him, cause for some reason he had a gut instinct not to trust the guy.

Justin, introduced Zoë to Britney.  It was the first time the two had gotten the chance to meet up, since Zoë had moved to Florida.  Britney, had been really busy touring and promoting her new album.  The two hit it off right away, and spent a lot of time at the party joking around and teasing Justin.

A little later when Nelly, and Pharrel showed up, Justin introduced Zoë to them.  Zoë, was smitten with Nelly.  She thought he was the hottest thing in the room.  And he was such a sweet guy too.  A real gentleman.  He spoke to her with complete respect.  She’d expected all of these obscenities to be flying out of his mouth because he was a rapper, but he was totally different than she’d expected, and she was glad.

JC, had hooked up with some brunet at the party and really wasn’t paying too much attention to Zoë.  But she was ok with that.  She was still a little irritated with him at his reaction to when she’d asked to bring Link as her date.  He’d blown up and given her some lecture about how he was going to annoy all the celebrities there and all this stuff.  She could tell JC didn’t like him, but she demanded that she should be able to bring at least a couple of her outside friends so she’d have some people there to talk to that she actually had met before that night.

Pam and her fiancé Kyle had flown down for the party as well, although they didn’t get in until a little later because they couldn’t get an earlier flight that day.  JC, didn’t have a problem with them.  He’d known Pam for a while through Zoë, and he knew she wouldn’t be a problem with the celebrities.

JC’s excuse of Link annoying the celebrities, was more his way of trying to talk her out of bringing him.  He didn’t really think he’d go all star struck on them, or at least he hoped not.  He just didn’t really want him there.

So when she showed up with him, and in one of those mini skirts and a tiny tie on top that barley covered her front and was completely open in the back.  Things she vowed never to wear.  JC, was pissed, and hooked up with the brunet to avoid the guy.  He just didn’t like him.  It was obvious Zoë had worn the outfit at his request.  She would never think to do that herself.  He couldn’t even get her to wear one of those skirts when she went out with him and the guys her first night in town.

Justin and Chris being full aware of the fact JC was thoroughly pissed she was there with Link, did their best to separate Zoë from him all night long.  Chris, would pull her off on the dance floor, or Joey would.  Then Lance would take his turn.  Then she danced with Justin while Britney danced with Link.  And then Nelly came along, and then Pharrel.

Zoë, was starting to grow suspicious, all these people wanting to dance with her.  She’d hardly seen her date for longer than ten minutes all night long.  So when she’d found her way back to her date and Chris had come over to ask her to dance with him she declined.  She felt bad for leaving Link by himself at the table most of the night with Pam and Kyle.

Although, Link and Kyle seemed to be getting along really well.  They were drinking and joking around about a bunch of nonsense.  Pam, had and annoyed look on her face from the two so she asked Pam to join her in the Ladies Room.

The girls talked for a bit and Pam went on and on about all the stupid shit they’d been talking about all night long.  “I was about to pull my hair out!” she, exaggerated, and Zoë laughed and apologized for leaving her alone.

“Not your fault your Miss Popularity tonight.  Besides if Nelly asked me to dance I’d be all up on that in a heartbeat!” she’d, said and again Zoë laughed at her friends exaggerated enthusiasm.

The girls made their way back out to the table and when a good dance song came on asked their guys to dance.  It was only a few minutes before midnight, and by this time Link and Kyle both were pretty well intoxicated.  The two were having a hard time keeping up with the girls as they danced.  Pam and Zoë, just passed each other looks of amusement.

As the up tempo song faded out, Richard Mar’s “Hold On To The Nights” came on.  Zoë, was already in the process of turning to leave the floor, but Link pulled her back to him in a close embrace.  “Dance with me?” he, requested.

Zoë, smiled and obliged his request, so Pam and Kyle did took stance next to them slow dancing.

JC, was off to the side of the room sitting next to the girl he’d spent most of the night with, and talking to Lance, Justin, and Britney.  When Britney heard the song she squealed in excitement and grabbed Justin’s hand.  “I wanna dance, baby.” she, told him as she drug him off to the dance floor.

The guys laughed at the exasperated expression on Justin’s face, but laughed even harder at the face he made once they were on the floor and Britney was snuggled all up against him.  “He’s in heaven!” Lance, laughed.

“Looks that way!” JC, laughed back and watched them for a few moments before his eyes caught site of Zoë dancing with Link, just off behind where Justin and Britney were dancing.

He noted that they looked really cozy.  Zoë, had her arms wrapped around Links neck and her head was resting on his shoulder, with her eyes closed apparently lost in thought.  While, Link had one hand planted on the lowest region of her back, and his other hand was slowly stroking the bareness of her upper back.

JC, found himself rather jealous.  They really looked like they were enjoying each other’s company.  Maybe he was wrong about Link.  Maybe he wasn’t such a bad guy after all.  He was treating Zoë, in such a loving manner.  He found himself wanting the same thing.  The girl he was hanging with at the party was just some chick.  She didn’t mean anything to him.  He wanted someone in his arms that he cared about.  Someone that cared about him.  He wanted Zoë.

“JC, where ya at man?” Lance, broke into his thoughts.

“Oh, I was just watching Zoë and Link.  They look really cozy.” JC, said nodding in their direction.

Lance, turned in his seat to look out at them.  “I guess.” he, said in response and then looked back at JC who was till watching them dance.  “C, man you better snap out of it quick dude!”

“What do you mean?” JC, asked shaking his head and looking at Lance.

“That longing in your eyes, man.  I’m sure you don’t want your chick over here to see it.” Lance, leaned in and said softly.

“I’m just glad that Zoë seems happy.  If that’s what you mean.” JC, played it off.

“Yeah, sure.” Lance, laughed.
 



 

When the song quit playing the DJ came over the system telling everyone to prepare for New Years.  The countdown was getting ready to begin.

Lance, JC, and his chick made their way to the center of the room where Justin, Britney, Joey, Kelly, Chris, Nelly, and Pharrel were all standing around talking waiting on the countdown.

Shortly after they got to the group the DJ started the chant, and everyone joined in.  “10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!”

The room exploded into screams and yells.  People were hugging each other and couples were kissing.  The room was full of energy.  JC, and all the guys shared manly hugs amongst each other cheering and hollering.

JC, turned to look for Zoë.  He saw her a few feet away exchanging a hug with Pam, and then Kyle.  And then Link pulled her back to him and began kissing her, as JC was making his way over to them.  He stopped immediately frozen by the site.

Chris, noticed what was going on.  “This is how you put a stop to that!” he, said as he rushed past JC and grabbed Zoë out of Link’s embrace and enveloped her in a huge hug swinging her around wishing her a Happy New Year, as she laughed.

“Come on man!” Justin, nudged JC and made his way over to share in the hugs.

JC, walked up to Zoë and grabbed her into a hug.  “I’m sorry I was an ass.  About you know…” he, started but Zoë cut him off.

“I forgive you!  You were just looking out for your friends.  I understand!” she, smiled and squeezed him back.

JC, smiled and gave her a quick soft kiss on her lips, and then wished her a Happy New Years.  Zoë, just smiled in return and wished him a Happy New Years, before she was grabbed by Joey, and then Britney.
 



 

A little while after midnight the crowds were starting to disperse a bit.  JC, went up to the DJ and requested that the next song he play be “That‘s What Friends Are For“ by Diane Warwick, and then went to find Zoë to ask her to dance.  He wanted to somehow spend at least a few minutes of the night with her.  He felt guilty about avoiding her all night.

She should have been really pissed at him for the things he’d said and the way he’d acted about the whole Link thing.  But she believed that he was actually just looking out for his friends and she accepted his apology without question.  She was too good to be true.

He found her just as the other song was going off.  “Zoë, can I have this dance?” he, asked with a cheesy grin as she was sitting with Pam, Kyle, and Link.

“Sure, Josh.” she, said and got up and took his hand and he lead her out to the middle of the dance floor.

As they took their place on the floor and she heard the beginning tunes of the song coming through the speakers she looked up at Josh and smiled.  “You remembered our song.”

“How could I ever forget it.  It’s been our song since we were little kids.  And it always will be!” he, smiled at her and then pulled her close and rested his chin on the top of her head smiling to himself.  As she rested the side of her head against his chest.

They swayed to the music both smiling remembering all the times in the past they’d listened to that song together.

Zoë, leaned back a bit and looked up at JC, who met her eyes.  “Do you remember when you sung this to me over the phone?  When Tommy Jenkins broke up with me, and I was so sad and you cheered me up over the phone.  And when I thanked you, you broke into song singing it to me?”

“Yeah, I remember.” JC, smiled and then pulled her back into him and began softly singing the song to her.

For good times
And bad times
I’ll be on your side, Forever more
That’s what friends are for

Well, you came and opened me
And now there’s so much more I see
And so by the way I thank you

Wow and then
For the times when we’re apart
Well then close your eyes and know
These words are coming from my heart
And then if you can remember, Oh

Keep smiling
Keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me
For sure
That’s what friends are for

In Good times
In bad times
I’ll be on your side forever more
Oh, that’s what friends are for

Oh,
Keep smiling
Keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me
For sure
That’s what friends are for

For good times
And bad times
I’ll be on your side forever more
That’s what friends are for

Zoë, just smiled and squeezed JC close, as he continued to sing the rest of the song to her.  He was the best friend anyone could ever ask for.  He was too good to her, and always so sweet and thoughtful.  “I don’t deserve him.” she, thought to herself.
 
 
 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love jealous drunksex roommates jc justin joey chris lance