It seemed like only minutes had passed when Jenny heard sounds coming from the baby monitor sitting on the nightstand.  Cole was getting out of his bed, already babbling to himself about Christmas.  “Babe, he’s getting up.”

JC moaned, “Already?  Time is it?”

Jenny opened one eye long enough to see 6:13. “It’s actually after 6, he slept longer than I thought he would.”  She rolled to her back and rested for a moment. 

Shifting in the warmth, JC mumbled, “Well, tell him to go back to bed until at least 8.”

“Good luck with that.”  That was all Jenny could get out before the pitter patter of little footsteps came running.  With a flying leap, Cole jumped onto the bed and landed right in the middle of JC’s chest. 

“Ompf,” JC’s breath escaped rapidly at the sudden pressure on his chest.  His hands automatically came up to hold the wiggling bundle. 

Cole squirmed as he straddled JC’s stomach and bounced up and down in excitement.  “It’s Christmas – Santa come?”

Smiling tiredly, Jenny watched as Cole bounced and JC lay there with his eyes closed.  Cole decided to help wake JC so he leaned forward until he was millimeters from JC’s face.  Taking his tiny hands, he clumsily tried to pry open JC’s eyelids.  Stifling a chuckle, Jenny intervened.  She reached over and grabbed Cole’s hand.  “Cole, that is not a nice thing to do to daddy.”

“But I wanna open presents.” 

Sighing in resignation, JC looked up at the boy climbing all over him.  “I guess we’re up, aren’t we?”

“I think we are,” Jenny ruffled Cole’s hair, before she bent down to press her lips to JC’s.  “Merry Christmas.” 

“Mmmm…it is now and Merry Christmas to you.”  JC sat up while Jenny headed to the bathroom.  “Now, Cole, why are we up so early again?  Don’t you think we should sleep a little bit longer?”

Jenny didn’t hear Cole’s response, but could imagine the look on his face at the thought of going back to bed when there were presents downstairs for him.  As Jenny left the bathroom, JC and Cole headed in to take care of business. 

“I’m going down to turn on the lights and grab the camera.”  Jenny called over Cole’s excited babbling.

“Okay.”

Flipping lights on as she went, she turned the coffee on for JC and made her way to the family room.  She turned on the fireplace and lit the background for the nativity on the mantel. 

Hearing the two heading her way, she grabbed the camera and pressed the power button so she could capture the excitement on Cole’s face when he entered the room. 

The two rounded the corner with Cole sitting on JC’s shoulders.  Jenny snapped several pictures of the delight on Cole’s face as he looked at the brightly wrapped presents, then his attention focused on the train.  His mouth formed a perfect O as he stared at the set that JC had spent hours putting together. 

“I think you’d better put him down, before he leaps for the train.” 

JC lifted Cole straight up and over his head, placing Cole on his feet, inches away from the train table.  He didn’t move, just stood there, and took in every detail.  JC sat next to him, “So what did Santa bring you, Cole?”

“My train!”  He exclaimed excitedly and began pushing the cars around the tracks.  Father and son made a perfect picture as JC pointed out the different features of the table as Cole ran from side to side. 

Interrupting, Jenny insisted that some other presents be opened.  Cole would open a present then look back at the train.  She eventually gave up and retreated to the couch where JC joined her and they opened their own presents from each other.   

Going into the kitchen, JC filled two cups with coffee and brought them back to the family room, where he handed one to Jenny.  After taking a sip, he sat his cup on the table next to him and placed an arm around Jenny’s shoulders. 

“Thank you for finishing last night, I’m sorry I snapped at you.”  JC spoke quietly though there was no need; Cole was engrossed in his new toys. 

“What are you talking about?”  She rolled her head on his arm to look at him. 

He merely gave her a wink, then leaned over for a lingering kiss.  Giving a heartfelt sigh, she nestled deeper in his shoulder as they watched their son enjoy Christmas morning.  This would probably be the last quiet time they would have all day, as both their families would be over to celebrate Christmas with them. 

***

The ham had been cooked and devoured along with plenty of other food.  Now the leftovers were put away, the dishwasher humming happily in the background.  JC hung up his phone from the NSYNC conference call they traditionally had on Christmas night.  Even now that they all spent the holiday with their own families, they remained close friends and always spent a few minutes reconnecting. 

Jenny wiped down the last of the counters and tossed the wet cloth in the washer as JC entered and glanced around the clean kitchen. 

“Where’s Cole?”

“Family room, he was playing with his train, but I bet he’s asleep by now.  At least I hope he’s asleep, he’s had a long day.”  Jenny preceded JC into the family room where Cole had fallen asleep next to his beloved train. 

“Santa made someone very happy with that train table.”  Jenny said as she took the train car from Cole’s hands.

“I’ll carry him to bed,” JC said lifting Cole into his arms.  Cole had played hard all day and was exhausted.  He didn’t even stir when JC lifted him from the floor where he had fallen asleep. 

Jenny preceded the two up the stairs to Cole’s room and grabbed his cowboy pajamas out of the dresser.  Together they carefully undressed Cole and put him in his favorite pj’s.  Jenny pulled back the covers as JC snuggled Cole in his bed.  JC tucked the blankets in tightly as Cole shifted. 

“Daddy?  Mommy?”

“Yeah, baby?”  Jenny knelt beside the bed. 

“Merry Christmas.”  Cole’s voice drifted off as he fell back to sleep. 

She smoothed her hand over his baby soft hair and pressed a kiss to his cheek.  “Merry Christmas.” 

JC performed the same exact steps from the opposite side of the bed, whispering a soft “Sweet dreams, Cole” before they both backed out of the room.  Jenny grabbed the baby monitor on their way out, so she could hear if Cole needed them during the night. 

Running a hand down Jenny’s arm, JC asked, “Meet you on the dock in a couple minutes?” 

Jenny smiled, “Absolutely, I’ve been looking forward to this all day.”  It was a tradition now that the couple would meet on their dock on Christmas night and exchange their own special presents for each other.  They saved the best presents for that night as they looked across the lake and watched the twinkling lights from all their neighbors.  It was where JC had proposed and it held a very special meaning for them. 

They parted ways, each going to their own hiding place to retrieve the presents for one another. 

JC was the first to reach the dock and he sat on the bench and listened to the waves lapping in the darkness.  Jenny was shortly behind him and she sat close to JC’s body warmth.  He wrapped an arm around her shoulders pulling her close, as they were finally able to enjoy the quiet together for the first time all day. 

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”  Jenny remarked looking out at the reflection of the lights in the lake.  The full moon reflected perfectly in the shining, dark waters of the lake. 

JC turned to look at his wife, “Yes, you are absolutely gorgeous.”  He bent down to place a lingering kiss on her lips. 

Pulling away, he licked his lips, “I can still taste the pecan pie you ate.”

“Well how was it?  Since you didn’t eat any at supper.”  She teased. 

“I don’t know, I didn’t get that good of a sample, let me try again.”  Over the next few minutes, Jenny ended up in his lap.  She was never sure how he accomplished it, as she was so lost in the kiss, she never realized she had moved. 

Exhaling shakily, “You keep that up and we won’t even get to the presents tonight.”

“Would that be so bad?”  He moved in for another kiss until she stopped him with a hand on his chest.

“Yes, it would be since I can’t wait to give you your present.”  She hopped off his lap and again sat down next to him and waited impatiently.

“So where is it?”  JC asked of his present. 

“Nope, mine is better than yours so you get to open it last.”  She said with a large grin. 

“Well, I don’t know that so –” He reached over her for the wrapped box sitting on the dock beside her. 

“Jace…”  She threatened. 

“Okay, okay, but mine is pretty spectacular if I do say so myself.”  He lifted a small flat box to her waiting hands. 

She ripped off the wrapping paper, with a careless abandon and lifted the lid.  “Oh Jace, it’s just what I always wanted – a key!  Another one to carry around in my ten pound purse!”  She pressed the key to her heart and tried to bring tears to her eyes in appreciation as she joked.  “I never knew you had guessed how much I wanted a key for Christmas!”

JC tried to hide a smirk.  “Are you done?”

“I suppose, if I must be.”

Reaching JC pulled the key out of her hand and twirled the ring on his finger.  “This key, my dear, is to a house that I’ve rented for a week…on the coast in Italy.”

Jenny eyes widened, she had always wanted to go to Italy.  “Are you serious?”

“Who has the best present now?”  He taunted her.  “I figure it’s high time that we gave Cole a younger brother or sister and what better place to do that than in romantic Italy.  Your parents are going to watch Cole for us.”

She started shaking her head.  “I’m afraid that’s not possible.”

He looked at her startled, it had seemed the perfect present to him.  “What?  You don’t like Italy?  Would you like to go somewhere else?”

She shook her head again.  “No, I love the trip, but –”

“Come on Jenny, it’s only a week, Cole will be fine with your parents, he’s stayed the night with them before.”

“No, I’m afraid it’s not possible to work on making Cole a big brother.”  She waited for the light to come on. 

JC drew back in surprise.  “I thought you wanted another baby.  Are you telling me now that you don’t?”

Jenny rolled her eyes and sighed.  Sometimes he could be so dense.  “I mean we don’t have to work on making another baby.”  She grabbed his present from behind her and hit him in the stomach with it.  “It’s already done…well, at least the majority of your part is done.”

Light dawned in his eyes finally.  “Really?  So this is -?”  He quickly tore off the wrapping paper to see a tiny box of baby shoes.

“When?”  He demanded, covering her lips with his. 

Gasping for air when he finally released her, she breathed out, “Around your birthday if my calculations are accurate.”

JC chuckled and pulled back to look her in the eyes.  “So you are telling me that you are getting off really easy this year?”

“What are you talking about?”  She questioned with a look on confusion on her face.

“Well, you technically are giving me a Christmas present that I already gave you so isn’t that like regifting or something?  Now you’re telling me that you aren’t going to give me a birthday present either.  You’re going to count the baby as my birthday present, aren’t you?” 

Loving the twinkle in his eyes, she played along.  “Yep, that’s right!  I planned this all out on purpose just so I wouldn’t have to go shopping for a present.  You’re so hard to buy for that I decided it would be easier to carry a baby for nine months and go through hours and hours of labor then go out and spend 10 minutes picking out a gift for you.  Now my shopping is done for the year.”

JC laughter was so loud; it started the neighbor’s dog barking.  His hands curled around her waist, again picking her up and placing her on his lap.  Her hands fisted in his hair as their lips met and silenced his laughter. 

“Daddy, why are you laughing?”  Cole was making his way down the dock, pulling his blankie with him as he rubbed his eyes.  Jenny lifted him on her lap as she remained on JC’s. 

She brushed a hand through Cole’s hair as he snuggled against her.  “Did Daddy wake you up?”

Cole nodded, sleepily.  “Uh huh, daddy was being loud.” 

“Well Cole, daddy is happy, do you know why?”  JC reached out to tickle Cole’s belly.

Giggling, Cole squirmed on Jenny’s lap.  “No, why?”

“Because mommy just told me that you were going to have a little brother or sister.  How about that?”

Cole wasn’t sure he liked that too much.  “I don’t want one.”

JC and Jenny shared a smile over Cole’s head before JC answered.  “Yes, you do.  That means that you are going to be a big brother and you will have someone to play with all the time.  You will be a great big brother.”

He thought about that for a moment.  “Like Bri and Klo?”  He named Joey and Kelly’s daughters Briahna and Kloey. 

“Yep, exactly like that.”  Jenny began gently rocking Cole in her arms as he lost the battle for sleep. 

JC looked at the two of them that he held in his arms, nothing was more precious than this.  “I hope it’s a little girl this time, although another little boy just like Cole would be fun too.”

“Just think of all the presents Santa will be bringing next year.”  JC groaned at the thought of having to set up even more toys. 

He studied his wife as she looked down at their son and thought about the baby that would be joining them before they knew it.  “Thank you for the regifted present, it’s the best regift ever in the history of the world.”

She met his gaze teasingly.  “So you’re saying that you are happy with your regifted present?”

“The happiest man in the world…are you feeling okay?”  He remembered how sick she had been the first months of her pregnancy with Cole.

“So far…I’ve been a little queasy in the mornings, but nothing like I was with Cole.”

She leaned her head down on his as they cradled their son between them.  JC shifted so that the arm behind her back tightened and the other wrapped around their son so he could touch the new life growing. 

“Merry Christmas, JC.”

“Merry Christmas, Jenny, I love you.”

Life didn’t get any more perfect than this.

Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, Love Divine;
Love was born at Christmas;
Star and angels gave the sign.
~Christina Rossetti

Chapter End Notes:
Merry Christmas and please review!!

Completed
Lew is the author of 19 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc christmas