Rushing into the living room, they stared in amazement as they sought to free Cole.  Somehow, Cole had pulled the eight-foot Christmas tree down on top of himself and was screaming in fright and pain.

Together JC and Jenny lifted the tree away, tossing it carelessly aside as they searched for the crying Cole in the branches.  The breaking of glass was heard as the tree hit the ground again. 

“Cole, what hurts?”  JC demanded as he lifted him into his arms.  Jenny gently but quickly felt for broken bones, then moved on to see if he had been cut by any of the glass ornaments. 

Removing Cole’s shirt, Jenny determined that the few shallow cuts on Cole’s arms and face had not been caused by any of the breaking glass.  Cole was screaming more from being scared than in pain.  Cole reached for Jenny, needing his mother’s comfort.  His little body shook from the force of his sobs and he wiped his nose across her neck. 

Jenny grimaced and JC tried to hide a chuckle.  Now that the panic was over, they could try to get Cole to calm down.  Jenny rubbed Cole’s back as she rocked back and forth on her feet.  JC took a moment to pick the tree back up and replace the few ornaments that had fallen off. 

As Cole’s sobs started to lessen, JC began questioning him about Christmas.  “What do you think Santa is going to bring you, Cole?”

Hiccupping, Cole raised his head slightly off Jenny’s shoulder to look at JC.  “A – a tr-train.”

“What kind of train?”  Both JC and Jenny had begun very adept at changing the subject and turning Cole’s attention elsewhere during the dramatic moments.  Cole was very theatrical.  Jenny blamed that all on JC as she was very practical, where JC was flamboyant and loved to entertain. 

Cole wiggled to be put down, so when Jenny lowered him to the floor, he immediately ran over to the toy catalog and flipped through the pages until he came to what he wanted.  Babbling excitedly now, Cole pointed out all the features of the train until Jenny interrupted. 

“Cole, it’s bath time.  Daddy’s going to give you your bath, then you can pick out a Christmas story for us to read, okay?”

Cole suddenly remembered he was hurt and began limping as he walked across the room.  Jenny rolled her eyes at JC and pointed to him, mouthing the words That is all you.  JC shook his head vehemently in denial and pointed back at Jenny. 

“Alright, little man, bath time, what are we going to paint tonight?”  JC ran over and grabbed Cole, lifting him high and then carrying him upside down as they headed up the stairs. 

Jenny shook her head at her two ‘men’ and headed back to the kitchen to finish the preparations for Santa’s visit and the families arrival tomorrow. 

***

One a.m.

“Come on, Jace.”  Jenny ran both hands through her hair in extreme frustration.  “It cannot possibly be that hard.”

“I don’t see you down here helping.”  JC mumbled under his breath. 

Bath time was long forgotten as was the fun and joy.  Now the couple snapped at each other as Jenny finished setting out the presents from Santa while JC struggled to put together the train set that Cole wanted.  The train set was the last minute present JC had gone out to get the day before.  Of course, it needed complete assembly, which was why JC had spent the last four hours cursing the toy.  Jenny had offered to help two hours ago, but had gotten snarled at so she continued picking up stray toys and finding other small tasks to do while JC worked. 

“Do you really want help?”

JC ignored her as he tried to screw in a piece of the table that the train would sit on. 

Sighing heavily, Jenny stepped over the tools JC had scattered around him, but then placed her foot on top of a spare screw.  Almost losing her balance, she bumped into the part that JC had put together, causing it to crash and completely fall apart. 

JC ground his teeth together and cursed under his breath as he surveyed the damage.  The look he shot her was enough to stop the apology on her tongue. 

She closed her eyes and called herself a fool as she scrubbed both hands over her face, unable to believe she was about to utter the words, “Go to bed, I’ll put it together myself.  I don’t feel like dealing with a cranky JC tomorrow so just go to bed.”

“Go – to – bed.”  He uttered the words through gritted teeth, not looking up at her as he stacked the fallen pieces around him. 

Not bothering to say a word, she spun on her heel and stalked out of the room.  Stomping up the stairs furiously, she gentled her steps as she neared Cole’s room.  Slipping quietly inside, she pulled up the covers that he had kicked off and brushed a gentle hand over his soft hair.  His arm was curled around his blankie and he had a slight smile on his faced as he dreamed of Christmas morning. 

She made her way to the bedroom she shared with JC, and immediately entered the attached bathroom, turning on the hot water as she shed her clothes.  Stepping into the hot water, she tried to relax as the thoughts of the day and plans for the next day crossed her mind.    

She wished they would wash down the drain as easily as the bubbles from her shampoo.  Christmas was such a glorious time of the year.  JC threw everything he had into the season as he spent it with his family.  There had been many years he had missed spending the holidays with family as NSYNC toured and promoted their albums.  She hoped he finished putting the train table and set together soon.  If he didn’t get enough sleep, he wouldn’t be pleasant to be around tomorrow. 

Finished with her shower, she stepped out and grabbed a towel to dry off.  Quickly dressing in her pajamas, she checked to see if the light was still on downstairs.  Mentally debating with herself on whether on not to go downstairs, she started down the steps, but stopped when she heard JC’s mumblings. 

Maybe giving him a few more minutes alone would be wise. 

She backtracked silently up the stairs and peeled back the covers.  Piling the pillows up behind her, she settled in and flipped on the television across the room.  Finding a movie to watch, she snuggled deeper in the bed.  She’d let JC cool down a little before she went back downstairs. 

But she fell asleep. 

***

The sounds on the television woke her about four in the morning.  Blinking, she tried to focus on the clock next to the bed.  Somehow, she had gotten twisted in the blankets so she tried to untangle as she looked to see if JC had made it to bed. 

The spot next to her was empty. 

Groaning, she dropped her head back on the pillow.  There were two options as to why JC wasn’t in bed with her.  Either he was mad at her for knocking down the table or he still wasn’t finished.  Resigned now, she flung the covers back and placed her feet on the floor, trying to wake up. 

As she padded down the stairs, she didn’t hear JC mumbling any more.  Maybe he had thrown it out the front door. 

Rounding the entrance to the family room, her heart melted.  JC was lying underneath the table, head turned to the side, a screwdriver in his fist on his chest, and the instructions by his side.  He was fast asleep, breathing heavily. 

He had the table base together, but the train tracks and buildings that went on the table were still scattered about the room.  She carefully pulled the table off him, in case he woke, she didn’t want him to hit his head.  She laid out the tracks of the train before she snapped the buildings together, JC lay snoring quietly as she worked.  Spacing the buildings out, she had to adjust some of the train tracks so the train was able to move freely.  Gathering up all the packaging and tools, she put them in their proper places then surveyed the family room critically for a moment. 

The presents were all arranged and the train table was completely assembled.  The lights from the tree cast a soft glow over the room, bringing out the lighter strands of JC’s hair as he lay peacefully on the carpeted floor. 

Stubborn man.  Jenny thought to herself.  JC was a proud man and very much a perfectionist when it came to himself.  If he put his mind toward something, he wouldn’t quit until he had accomplished his goal, in that Jenny and JC were similarly matched, but Jenny would ask for help if she needed it.  JC would ask only if he were in the right frame of mind. 

She knelt on the floor beside him and gently cupped his cheek.  Rubbing her thumb across the five o’clock shadow, she called softly, “Jace.”

He turned into her palm and licked his lips, still asleep.  “Jace.”  She spoke a little louder. 

“Huh?”  He grunted; his eyes still closed. 

“Come up to bed, you’ve got it all put together.”  His eyes opened a crack to look up at her.  He yawned as he sat up, looking around the room.  Jenny stood next to him and extended her hand to help him to his feet.  He grasped it and she tugged him to his feet, placing an arm around his waist.  He placed his around her shoulders as they left the room, turning off the overhead light, leaving just the tree lights on in the darkness of the night. 

As soon as they reached their bedroom, JC headed to the bathroom to undress and prepare for bed while Jenny went straight for the bed calling her name.  Soon the light from the bathroom snapped off and JC noiselessly climbed in behind her. 

He lay on his back and reached out a hand to touch her shoulder; his eyes were barely slivers.  At the hand on her shoulder, she rolled over and nestled into the embrace he offered.  His arm curled around her back while his free hand locked with her hand and rested against the beat of his heart.  Almost in unison, they sighed as they relaxed in their lover’s arms and fell asleep. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: daddyjc christmas