Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't own JC or any member of his family.  Don't hate me - I needed a bad guy and this fits where the story is going.  

The car shook at the stop light from Liz’s leg that wouldn’t stop bouncing.  She was extremely nervous about meeting JC’s family.  They had arrived in Florida the day before and Liz kept checking the internet for any hint that their marriage had leaked yet.  JC called her obsessive.  She called him difficult.  While they both knew there was no way to hide the proposal and engagement, they were hoping to at least hold off on the news of their marriage until after the New Year and the chance to tell their families in person. 

Now they were on their way to a family dinner at JC’s house.  It was supposed to be a small, quiet affair with only JC’s parents and Tyler and Heather in attendance.  When he called to have the family together, he had asked that only the immediate family be there.  He hadn’t mentioned that he would be bringing someone else along.    

“Liz!”  He exclaimed, “Calm down.”

“I am calm.”  She turned a composed look his way, but knowing Liz as well as he did, he could sense the turmoil she was working so hard to hide. 

“My parents are going to love you; you have absolutely no reason to worry.”  The houses seemed to speed by faster and faster until everything skidded to a stop.  JC stopped the car in front of a two-story brick home, not unlike the one that he owned a short distance away.  He turned off the ignition and reached to pull Liz’s hand away from her mouth, where she had been biting her nail off. 

“Are you ready?”  He gave her a reassuring smile. 

She took a deep breath and held it for a moment before releasing it.  “Absolutely.”

JC gently guided her up the sidewalk lined with small bushes on both sides.  “Is this where you grew up?”  Liz asked as she looked around the small, but neat yard. 

“Nah, I bought this house for them with NSYNC money; the place where they were living before didn’t have enough security to deal with the crazy fans.”  He inserted a key into the deadbolt and quickly twisted it, hearing the lock disengage.  He pressed a quick kiss on her lips to bolster her confidence before he shoved open the door.  “Mom?  Dad?”

“Karen, Josh is home.”  His dad, Roy, called out as he came around a corner to give JC a hard hug.  Tyler followed close behind, pounding JC on the back. 

Liz took a quick second to look around the house.  It was simple, but very homey.  There were a couple pairs of shoes on the steps to the left of the entry.  The room where Roy and Tyler had come from had a football game on the big screen tv.  Sounds came from farther down the hall suggesting that Karen and Heather were in the kitchen preparing their meal. 

Liz felt eyes on her and turned back to see that both Roy and Tyler were staring at her.  Her cheeks turned red under their intense stares. 

“I thought this was family only.  Who’s your friend?”  Tyler asked, earning a quick look from his brother. 

“Let’s go find mom and Heather and I’ll introduce you all at once.”  JC placed a hand at the small of Liz’s back and they followed the other two down the hall to the kitchen. 

The women immediately turned and hurried to JC, smothering him in hugs and kisses that he ate up.  “You can tell it’s almost time to eat, JC’s here.”  Heather teased before becoming silent as she caught sight of Liz standing in the doorway. 

“It’s so good to be home, but I wanted to have everyone here together for a reason.”  He stretched an arm out behind him, grabbing Liz’s hand, and tugging her up to his side where he pulled her protectively under his arm. 

“Everyone, this is Liz…my wife.”  His announcement shocked his family in silence and motionlessness.  The only sound was the splashing of the boiling water as it erupted out of the pan on the stove. 

“You – you – you’re married?”  Karen gasped out as she looked between the couple.  Heather mimicked her mother, looking critically at Liz, with a large frown on her face. Tyler was speechless, holding a cracker halfway to his mouth.  Roy was the only one who reacted positively. 

Roy came forward and pulled Liz away from JC for a warm hug.  “Don’t hog her, son, welcome to the family Liz.  It’s a miracle that you are willing to put up with him.”

Karen offered a stilted “Congratulations” and a pat on the shoulder, flashing a hard look at JC.  Heather reacted much more violently. 

She dropped the stack of glass plates that she held onto the tile floor, where they shattered into hundreds of pieces.  While everyone was distracted, trying to clean up the mess and make sure no one was hurt, Heather took the opportunity to send a threatening glower at Liz, mouthing something that Liz couldn’t understand.  The glare was enough to send a chill down Liz’s spine.  JC had always spoken highly of both of his siblings so this reaction was a complete surprise. 

Trying to gain control of herself, Liz sent what she hoped was a reassuring smile at JC when he stood after throwing the glass in the nearby trashcan.  Liz remained slightly distant throughout the meal, trying to come up with ways to get JC’s family to like her.

Not soon enough, the meal was over and Karen and Heather headed into the kitchen to fetch dessert, waving away Liz’s offer to help. 

Karen returned carrying a tray and nonchalantly asked, “Josh, could you help Heather carry in the rest?”

“Sure, mom,” he pressed a quick kiss on Liz’s temple and headed the short distance to the kitchen. 

Liz had just begun to answer a question that Roy posed about her job when loud voices carried from the kitchen.  She bit her lip as the words rolled painfully over her. 

“Now wait just a minute – ”  JC’s voice was full of anger. 

“No!  You wait, JC!  What are you thinking – marrying someone like her?”  Heather’s voice screeched.

“Heather,” he said in warning.

“Did you even have her sign a prenup?  How many times have you complained about women being after you for your money?  Come on JC, you even sang a song about it!  You barely know this woman – why would you ruin your life like that?”

His face showing the tension, Roy pushed back from the dining table to stand and make his way to the kitchen, but before he could enter, JC emerged – his expression full of fury.

“Come on, Liz.  We’re leaving.”  Liz tossed her napkin onto the table as she gave a sad smile to the others in the room, following behind her husband. 

“Josh,” Karen called. 

“We won’t be back until my wife can be treated with respect.”  JC ushered Liz out the door, closing off the protests with a slam of the front door.  Liz had to practically sprint down the walk as JC took long strides to the car.  He let go of her hand and opened the door, sending an infuriated look back at the people standing in the now open door. 

As JC rounded the hood, Liz looked up and met Heather’s eyes.  The look froze Liz in place.  It sent a threat that promised the trouble was far from over.

Chapter End Notes:
So???  Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: proposal marriedjc jc