Author's Chapter Notes:
No copyright infringement is intended.  I do not own any of the public figures. 

JC spent the majority of the show looking down at Lisa.  It was amazing how he could have gone so long and never seen how the golden strands in her hair perfectly complemented the darker brown strands.  She had gotten her hair cut recently to shoulder length.  JC like the new style but missed the longer hair that used to be halfway down her back. 

He didn’t pay much attention to the action on the stage, instead spending his time running through his plans for the next night.  He hoped Joey wouldn’t ask for a review of his performance. 

When intermission came, JC didn’t dare leave his private box in case Lisa went to the lobby or the restroom and stumbled across him.  She stood and stretched at one point turning around and looking at the other people in the seats.  Without warning, her gaze moved up to the boxes where he was sitting.  JC took a hurried step back to get behind a curtain and out of sight, but he tripped. 

Arms flailing, he tried to catch himself, but instead caught the curtain as he fell.  The heavy curtain and the rod crashed to the ground on top of him. 

***

Kelly looked up when a crash was heard from the boxes.  Lisa had caught a flash of motion and was already looking that way.  She had seen arms whirling just before the curtain was ripped down. 

“What happened?”  Kelly asked, also standing and turning toward the activity.

“Somebody fell, I think, and pulled down the curtain and everything on top of them.  I hope they are all right.”

From Kelly’s position, she could see JC trying to fix the curtain and still stay out of sight of Lisa.  Kelly tried to get Lisa’s attention fixed elsewhere and was so grateful when the lights went down and the play started again, pulling Lisa’s attention away from JC’s box. 

That had been another close call. 

***

Lisa and Kelly spent the next day shopping with the girls before they had a picnic in Central Park and spent the rest of the day exploring the zoo and walkways in the park. 

“Oh, we had better get going if we want to grab a bite to eat before the show tonight.”

“What show?  I thought the play had the night off today for some reason.”  Lisa was puzzled, normally she only saw Joey’s show once. 

“Oh they do, Joey got tickets for the Matt Morrison concert tonight.”

“That guy from Glee?”  Kelly nodded at Lisa’s question.  “I don’t even watch Glee.”

“I don’t either, but Joey’s friends with him and wants to go support him.  It’s supposed to be an okay concert.”  Kelly’s tone was deceptively innocent. 

“Alright, but we’d better go someplace nice for supper tonight, I’m hungry.”

Kelly exhaled a deep sigh of relief once Lisa’s back was turned.  She had held up her end of the bargain, now it was all on JC. 

***

Following Joey and Kelly down the aisle, Lisa looked around at the small theater.  It was getting pretty crowded.

“After you Lisa,” Joey held out a hand to motion to Lisa to precede him in the row.  She walked to the end of the row and sat next to the wall.  They were in the second row.  Kelly followed her in then Joey. 

In short order, the lights went down and Matt Morrison came on stage.  Lisa thought his voice was nothing compared to JC’s, but he had talent.  She shifted in her seat, looking down at her program when she heard familiar notes start and her attention flew back to the stage. 

Matt was beginning “This I Promise You.”  It was a nice effort, but didn’t compare to how JC and the others sang it.  She was so focused on Matt that she was startled when screams rang out and JC emerged on the stage.  Her hand came up to cover her mouth in shock as she tried to remember to breathe.  So far, JC hadn’t looked over her way. 

She slid down in her seat, trying to avoid his notice as she looked for a way out.  “I thought you said he wouldn’t be here,” she mumbled to Kelly.

“I said he wouldn’t be in attendance, I never said he wouldn’t be performing…I’m sorry.” 

Lisa leaned down more and looked down the row, debating if she could somehow make her way to the aisle while escaping JC’s notice.  She dismissed Kelly, she could make it past Kelly, but Joey leaned forward and shook his head.  No escape or help there.  She wondered if she could make it across the seats in front of her.  Nope – he would see her for certain if she did that.  Now she knew why Joey had orchestrated the seating arrangements. 

With no way out, she repeated in her mind, It’s just one song, it’s just one song, it’s just one song.

She sat back and just listened to his amazing voice.  He had such talent.  She could handle this.  Lisa soaked in his presence, he looked tired.  As the song ended and Matt left him alone onstage, Lisa tucked her arm through Kelly’s and rested her head on Kelly’s shoulder.  Kelly placed hers on top of Lisa’s.  She knew what Lisa was going through and wanted to help her achieve happiness as best as she could. 

JC spoke for a few minutes before he started singing again.  The crowd started singing along with him.  He was doing what he loved to do.  He made it over to her side of the stage several times, looking straight at her. 

When the song was over, just as Matt was coming back out, JC began to speak again.  “I’m going to beg Matt for another favor...I want to sing one more song to you tonight.”  The crowd screamed in response and he waited until it was quiet again.  “You see, there is someone special in the audience tonight that was brought here under duress and I’m surprised she hasn’t figured out a way to crawl under the seats to get out of here once she saw me up on stage.  I’ve treated her horribly in the past and am trying to make it all up to her.  I know I don’t deserve her forgiveness, but I’m asking for another chance to renew our friendship.  I miss you.”  He looked straight at Lisa for a moment until the audience tried to figure out who he was talking to.

“She doesn’t think I know her favorite song, but this is dedicated to you.”  The music began softly at first as Lisa recognized the beginning of “Somewhere Out There.”  She never imagined that JC knew that was her favorite song.  Her hand covered her mouth as she bit her lip to try and stop the sudden tears that appeared.  She shook her head in amazement as he sang directly and only to her. 

SOMEWHERE OUT THERE (James Ingram and Linda Ronstadt)

Somewhere out there,
Beneath the pale blue night,
Someone's thinking of me,
And loving me tonight.
Somewhere out there,
Someone's saying a prayer,
Then we'll find one another,
In that big somewhere out there.

And even though I know how very far apart we are,
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star,
And when the night will start to sing
A lonesome lullaby,
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the
Same big sky.

Somewhere out there,
If love can see us through,
Then, we'll be together,
Somewhere out there, out where dreams, come true.

And even though I know how very far apart we are,
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star,
And when the night will start to sing
A lonesome lullaby,
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the
Same big sky.

Somewhere out there,
If love can see us through,
Then, we'll be together,
Somewhere out there, out where dreams, come true.

The words in the song were meant just for them.  But as the song finished, JC brought his hand to his heart then out to her, the audience burst into applause.  This was probably just another way to gain attention for himself.  There was no way he meant the words to the song. 

 

 

The video can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46BpL55E1MA.

Chapter End Notes:
Woohoo!  3 chapters and 2 postings today.  Enjoy, it's getting good!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc