“I’m here, just landed.”  Lisa talked to Kelly as she walked through the airport to find a taxi outside.

“Great, just come to the house, I’ve already checked you in your hotel and have your key so you don’t have to worry about checking in late after the show.”

Lisa thought that was a little odd, but then this was Kelly she was talking to.  She was sure that Kelly was only trying to make everything go smoothly so she didn’t argue or question. 

“Okay, I’ll be there shortly I hope - traffic doesn’t look good.”  Lisa looked over at the bumper to bumper traffic and changed her mind.  “Maybe I should just meet you at the theater.  I can but my bag in Joey’s dressing room, couldn’t I?”

Kelly hesitated.  “Are you sure you don’t want to come here and go together?”

“I don’t think we’ll make it in time if I come to the house.  I’ll just meet you at the theater, which means you had better get dressed and moving.  I’ll see you there, let me know when you get in the lobby.”

Hanging up, Kelly frantically dialed Joey’s cell phone, swearing when it went straight to voicemail.  She tried JC’s – same thing.  She flew through the house, calling out to the babysitter she was leaving and bidding the girls goodbye.  On her way to the theater, she repeatedly dialed both JC’s and Joey’s cell phones.  If she didn’t get a message to Joey or JC or beat Lisa to the theater, all the plans would go up in smoke and Lisa would never talk to her again. 

***

JC turned his cell phone back on so he could check his e-mail.  He was surprised when it rang immediately.  He was lounging around in Joey’s dressing room.  JC had never missed an opening night yet, normally he would sit with Kelly and Lisa, but tonight he would be sitting in a private box where Lisa couldn’t see him.  He would be hanging out backstage until he got the all clear from Kelly, letting him know they were seated and the coast was clear. 

“Hey Kelly, you can’t be seated yet, can you?” 

“You’ve got to get out of Joey’s dressing room, Lisa is on her way to put her luggage in there and if you don’t leave, it will all be ruined.”

“What, how close is she?”  All of a sudden, he heard her voice laughing with one of the security guards outside the door.  Joey heard it too and turned a frantic look toward JC. 

Without saying goodbye, he hung up and looked around the room for a hiding place.  It was too late to get out of the room and there was no closet, so JC opted for the only hiding place left. 

He dove behind the couch he had been sitting on, pulling his long legs in just as Lisa tapped on the door and opened it. 

“Hey Joey, the Broadway super star,” JC was eager to hear her voice so close. 

“Hey girl, long time no see, give me a hug.”  JC hoped Lisa didn’t notice that Joey’s voice was overly bright with just a twinge of nervousness.  He heard Lisa set her bag down on the floor before she hugged Joey.  “What are you doing here so early?  I thought you and Kelly were going to eat then come to the show.”

“Oh a change of plans, I decided that the traffic was too bad and we wouldn’t make it in time for the opening so I told her that I would beg you to allow me to keep my bag here during the show.”  She sat on the couch.  JC could see her shoes, she was so close!

The two chatted back and forth, while JC battled with himself not to reach out and touch her.  Just as he was cautiously moving his arm underneath the couch, he was startled by a loud crash. 

Kelly stormed in through the door, causing it to bounce against the wall.  She tried to catch her breath.  “I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” 

“I thought you were going to call me when you got here.” 

Just then, JC felt the phone in his pocket start to vibrate.  It was a loud sound and he quietly scrambled to press a button that would stop the noise. 

Lisa hushed the room, “Do you hear something?” 

Joey paused a second, realizing what was happening then spoke louder than before, coming over to pull Lisa up from the couch.  “Well, I think you ladies should go out and get your seats.  It’s going to be a great show.”

“But wait, is there something back behind the couch, I can hear something, did you drop your phone back there?”  She tried to go look, but Joey just kept babbling. 

“No, it’s just the crazy guy next door, he always has some gadget he’s playing with, no need to worry about it.  Enjoy the show!”

“Okay,” Lisa said doubtfully, but left with Kelly, “Break a leg!”

Joey shut the door behind them, then fell against it as JC made his way out from behind the couch.  “That was close man, what were you doing?  Trying to reach out and touch her?”

He plopped down on the couch in relief that he had avoided discovery.  “She was so close, I couldn’t help myself.  How does she look?”

Before Joey could answer, a knock came at the door telling Joey he was needed onstage.  Joey threw a look at JC of warning, “Don’t screw this up.  If you do, I’ll never be allowed to see you again, plus I’ll have to beat you up for Kelly.”

JC merely waved a hand in response as Joey left.  He laid back down on the couch, placing his hands behind his head and crossing his feet at the ankles.  A large smile crossed his face.  This time tomorrow night, he and Lisa would be an official couple.  At least that’s what he thought. 

Chapter End Notes:
I hope to have more up soon, the next chapter is all planned out in my mind...Review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc