Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading!

Her hands were fisted tightly in his shirt just above his hips.  Lisa’s forehead rested in the curve of JC’s neck, her uneven breathing gently warming his already overheated skin.  One of JCs hands cradled the back of Lisa’s head while the other rubbed her lower back.  JC gladly absorbed her weight as she rested against him. 

As Lisa’s breathing once again started in short pants, her hands tightened even further, pulling the fabric taunt as her nails dug into his sides.  JC turned his head slightly to brush a comforting kiss against her hair.  “Breathe, baby, breathe.”

An eternity later, Lisa’s fingers slowly loosened their grip on his shirt.  JC could feel Lisa swallow almost painfully, before she licked her dry lips.  “What did I ever do to you…am I a bad wife?”  She said as she exhaled. 

“What are you talking about?”  JC lowered his head and rested it lightly on hers as he softly asked, confused. 

“I mean, what did I do that was so bad that you would punish me by making me go through this?”  She tiredly leaned her head back with a slight smile to take the sting out of her words. 

“Aww…Lisa…I’m sorry…I can’t stand to see you in such pain.”  He choked out, as his jaw clenched at her pain. 

“I know and the fact that you love me so much is the only reason I’m willing to go through this…well, that and the fact that soon we will have a baby.”  Too tired, she again leaned her head back on JC’s shoulder.  He wrapped his arm more firmly around her back and gathered her tightly against him, her swollen belly pressing into his stomach.  He could feel the hardness of the contractions as they came and went and he ached at the thought of causing her so much pain. 

Another contraction came and went as she remained silent through the ordeal.  As yet another pain ended, JC dropped his chin to her shoulder and whispered pleadingly,   “Tell me how I can make this easier for you.” 

Short of breath, she rasped out, “Sing to me…sing our song.”

JC smiled, loving this woman in his arms.  He pressed a kiss to her temple then dropped his head so his lips were close to her ear.  Drawing in a breath, he felt her shiver as the air stirred around her ear.  Softly, he began to sing – needing the distraction as much if not more than Lisa did. 

I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
And I swear like the shadow that's by your side

I see the questions in your eyes
I know what's weighing on your mind
You can be sure I know my heart

'Cause I'll stand beside you through the years
You'll only cry those happy tears
And though I make mistakes
I'll never break your heart

And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear like a shadow that's by your side
I'll be there

For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
And I swear

I'll give you every thing I can
I'll build your dreams with these two hands
We'll hang some memories on the walls

And when just the two of us are there
You won't have to ask if I still care
'Cause as the time turns the page, my love won't age at all

And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
I swear (and I swear) like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there

For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
And I swear

I swear (I swear) by the moon and stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there

For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every (single) beat of my heart
I swear, I swear, oh, I, swear

I Swear by All 4 One. 

JC would pause through Lisa’s contractions, humming until she relaxed again in his arms then picking up in the song where he had left off.  Toward the end of the song, a nurse came into the room, talking, but quieted when she saw the two of them.  She entered some information in the computer as she checked the consistency and power of the contractions then unnoticed by JC she grabbed the camera sitting on the windowsill.  He glanced up startled at the flash, a momentary pause in his singing until he realized why she was taking a picture.  She had captured the intimate moment between the almost parents perfectly.  JC knew it would become a treasured picture in the future.  He smiled his thanks as he finished the song just before another pain hit Lisa. 

JC had been taking more and more of Lisa’s weight as they stood, but it was the most comfortable Lisa felt during labor.  The pain was much sharper when she was lying down.  The pains were getting closer together and longer and JC knew she wouldn’t be able to stay in his arms much longer this way. 

“Lisa, I need you to get back in bed, okay?  I know how much you love being in hubby’s arms but the contractions are getting much stronger and I need to check you.”  The nurse approached to help Lisa back into bed. 

Lisa took a deep breath and nodded against JC’s chest before she backed toward the bed, helped by both JC and the nurse.  She had to stop as she sat on the bed for another contraction.  When she opened her eyes, she saw JC on his knees in front of her, watching her face with concern etched in every nuance of his face. 

She scooted back in the bed and the nurse moved her legs as Lisa reached out desperately for JC’s hand that he willingly gave to her.  He placed both of his hands tightly around hers as her eyes closed against another pain.    

“Wow, JC, I don’t know what magic you worked, but Lisa you are at 10 centimeters, I’ll go get the doctor and you can start pushing in a minute.”

From then on, JC’s world became a blur – of counting –  of breathing – of supporting – and of no feeling in his hands. 

Then time manifested itself in one moment.  One second they were waiting on the birth of their child and the next they were parents.  In complete and utter shock, JC bit his bottom lip as he tried to focus through blurry eyes.    

This squalling, red faced, wrinkly little person lying on his wife’s stomach made the world come into focus.  JC knew he hadn’t been alive until Lisa had become his, but this moment made the world clearer and the colors brighter. 

Tentatively he reached out to touch a tiny hand, fearful of hurting the baby.  Gently stroking the soft skin, he was interrupted by the opportunity to cut the bond between mother and child.  As soon as he had done so, a nurse whisked the baby away to be cleaned and weighed and for the first time, JC leaned down to his wife whose eyes still had not left their baby.  He placed kisses over her face, kissing away their comingled tears. 

JC wasn’t even conscious of the words he whispered in Lisa’s ear before he turned in awe to the small wrapped bundle a nurse placed in his arms. 

He had a son…

***

Around One Year Later

Lisa toed off her shoes in the laundry room as she passed through from the garage.  It had been nice to get together for a girls day out, but she missed her men.  But she had to admit, the massage had been so relaxing it had almost put her to sleep. 

Now she just wanted to spend the evening with the two most important people in her life.  The first floor was empty and quiet, perhaps JC and Jacob were upstairs napping. 

Lisa quietly padded up the stairs and peeked into Jacob’s room.  Nope – no one there.  Maybe JC had taken him to their bed to read and snuggle.  Again it was empty. 

But as she headed back down the stairs she saw the basement door was cracked opened and heard the soft sounds of the piano.  Silently, Lisa crept down the stairs, not wanting to interrupt if JC was recording, but as she got closer, she realized there was no need. 

JC was playing a simple melody while Jacob, who was sitting on JC’s lap surrounded by his daddy’s arms, was banging on the keys as he squealed in excitement.  They were so engrossed in their music, they didn’t notice Lisa watching them. 

Neither had any idea she was watching them, and she loved to see them two of them together.  Jacob was already mimicking JC and looked so much like him she knew he would be a heartbreaker. 

JC chuckled when Jacob spread his arms as far as they would in an attempt to be like JC and use the whole keyboard.  Jacob almost lost his balance so JC quickly removed one hand from the keys and gripped Jacob’s waist so he wouldn’t fall. 

Jacob turned to look up at JC and laugh which prompted JC to tickle him then look up quickly as Lisa’s laugh joined in.  He bent down to whisper something in Jacob’s ear, causing Jacob to turn and reach for Lisa. 

Smoothly she crossed the room to sit next to JC where he made room for her on the piano bench, taking Jacob into her arms for a hug and a kiss before she turned to JC to greet him as well.  “I think that should be your next single – do you know how many downloads you would have on iTunes?”

JC’s eyebrow raised.  “Hmmm….you think so?”

“I know so – with you both on the piano and Jacob singing,”  she motioned with her head to the little boy on her lap who had gone back to pounding on the keys, but now accompanied himself with his own words.  “you can’t go wrong.  The single would break the record that uh – what was the group called again?  You know the one who holds the record for most CD sales in a single day?”

JC just sighed as Lisa rambled on.  “I really don’t remember which group you’re talking about.”

With a twinkle in her eye, Lisa continued.  “It’s right on the tip of my tongue – Boys II Men – no that doesn’t sound right…Jonas brothers – nope that’s not it either… I know, it was some group called NSYNC.”  She bumped her shoulder against his.  “Hey, weren’t you a part of that little known group?”

“Even if I never record another song or judge another dance, I have everything I need right here.”  With a heartbreaking smile, he turned back to Jacob who was demanding some attention. 

It was so glad to be home.

Chapter End Notes:
Don't forget to let me know what you think!  Thanks everyone!

Completed
Lew is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Is She That Girl? also liked 89 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Could She Be That Girl?. The previous story in the series is I'm Not That Girl.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc