Story Notes:
Thanks for reading!  Before you start this story, I highly recommend you start with "Assistant" and "I'm Not That Girl."  That way you'll be caught up with what is happening in the lives of JC and Lisa.  This, I think, will be the final story in the "Could She Be That Girl" series.  I hope you enjoy. 

“Why won’t she answer my calls?  Or my e-mails?”  JC plopped down in a chair at the Fatone’s table on their deck.  “Do you know she told me that this Kevin guy doesn’t want her to talk to me anymore?  That is not a healthy relationship.  No one should tell someone that they can or can’t talk to a person.”

Joey rolled his eyes and rubbed a hand over his chin, trying to be sympathetic but failing.  JC had been going on for days about not being able to get a hold of Lisa since she told him she couldn’t talk to him anymore.  Lisa had invented a “boyfriend” that was jealous as the reason that she could no longer talk to JC.  She decided that if she didn’t have contact with him every week, she might be able to rid herself of her feelings for him. 

Joey felt sorry for JC, but was getting tired of listening to him complain.  Checking once over his shoulder to see if Kelly was anywhere in sight, he made up his mind to shut JC up. 

“Look C… Kelly will kill me if I tell you this but I can’t stand to see you suffer, plus you’re driving me insane with all this talk.”  He spared another glance toward the house, failing to see Kelly making her way outside.  “Kevin doesn’t exist, Lisa made him up so she could get you to stop calling.”

Exhaling in disbelief, JC fell against the back of the chair as he tried to take in Joey’s words. 

“Joseph Anthony Fatone – WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”  Kelly practically screamed in Joey’s ear causing him to jump up and spin around to face his fuming wife.

He stood there with a guilty look on his face.

JC couldn’t believe it, surely Lisa wouldn’t lie just to stop talking to him.  Why would she make this up?  Was he that bad of a person?  But then JC thought back to how he had treated her in the past.  Perhaps that had something to do with it. 

“Does this have anything to do with how I’ve treated her in the past?”  He spoke the question, interrupting the argument between the couple. 

Kelly glared at Joey until he answered.  “Um…I don’t know if that had any part in it at all.  Why is this bothering you so much anyway?  I know you’ve lost contact with other friends before.”

JC stumbled over his words as he tried to come up with a response.  “I – I just miss …”

“What exactly do you miss, JC?  Her organizational skills?  Her ability to take whatever crap you tossed at her and still work for you?  Her coffee fetching ability?”  Kelly asked sarcastically. 

JC was taken aback by the snideness in her tone, his mouth opened and closed with no words coming out. 

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.”  Kelly glared at JC.  “If you ever come up with the right answer to that question then maybe we can talk, until then you have to go home.  Joey and I are on our way out.  Goodbye JC.”  With a deliberate look at Joey, Kelly reentered the house, leaving the two men alone for the moment. 

JC looked at Joey for help, but Joey only shrugged.  He knew his wife and also knew if he said any more right now, he would be sleeping on the couch for some time.  Not even he knew the whole story, but what he did know, he wasn’t willing to risk telling JC versus Kelly’s wrath. 

“Sorry man, I’d better not say anymore.  Kelly and Lisa are tight and I don’t want to hurt my marriage over this.”  He lowered his voice and stepped closer to where JC was sitting.  “Look, just do what she said – go home and think about why you are so upset.  I can’t say any more than that.  I’ve gotta go.”  Just before he stepped into the house and closed the sliding door, he looked back.  “Good luck C.”  With that, he closed the door behind him and left JC sitting on the patio in the lingering sunlight.  Joey hoped JC came up with the right answer, if not everyone would be miserable. 

Chapter End Notes:
I know it was a short chapter, but I hope to have more up soon. 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc