Author's Chapter Notes:

Wow...another update...this chapter might be long but it's going to put things into perspective for the next few chapters for me to write. 

 Kara lets her guard down to JC and finally is beginning to allow herself to feel again.

 the lyrics in this chapter are from the song "Rain"  By Joey McIntyre.

 

To say it was a hectic two weeks would be telling a lie. It was pure hell. The guys as well as Kara had been so busy working round the clock. The guys alone were in the dance studio for 12 hours a day working out the routine, making sure every last move was down and right. They were pro's but at the same time they were perfectionists. They wanted it right and perfect.

 

Kara was getting the first four weeks out and ready. Making sure all the venues were ready with any and all requests for the guys, tour crew, and anyone else that was part of the N Sync crew.

 

Next was the bus and living arrangements on them. Making sure who was on what bus, making sure the shopping lists for food, toiletries, games, movies, and any other things that were needed for the guys. She went out to the buses the day before and made sure that everything was there and true to form it was.

 

Next was the hotels, making sure that she had confirmed not once but twice that they had a whole floor for the entire crew, that meant, rooms for the guys, room for the dancers, rooms for the band members, rooms for the crew, security. Any special needs that the guys requested were there or any wishes for longer stays were done. She made sure every I was dotted and T was crossed.

 

Last, and she hated doing this to the poor girl was to make sure Carly had her bags, as well as Kara's ready to go for the tour. Carly being a true 16 almost 17 year old she knew she was going to have to bribe her into doing this. She was going to reward her with a treat that she knew she would love. She and Kelly cooked it up at the barbecue two weeks ago. Kelly knowing she needed something for Brianna to have.

 

Carly was a true trooper helping out. She did laundry for the tour, packed herself, helped Kara pack. Cleaned the entire house. Made sure any food that would go bad was gone and out of the house, called the post office for Kara and advised to please have their mail placed on hold until the third week of August. Priced a landscaper but then was convinced by Joey to use the one he used. It worked out that he was the cheapest and the best. Carly took it one up and even got one of her friends from school to come and clean the pool once a week, for a very reasonable price. Carly got to run out twice and get enough memory sticks and extras she was going to need. She was bringing her camera along to work on her photo journal. She was going to need to use it for her interview for the lead photographer come school time. Being that she was going to be on the road for the time she could do landscape pictures as well as have fun with the guys taking pictures.

 

Kara was at home finishing off her cup of coffee looking over a few last minute ties she had to do before tonight as they were invited to stay at Johnny's place being that's where they were going to head out from the next day...at 3am. She was so into reading something that she didn't hear the doorbell ring, let alone Carly answer it or even hear who it was.

 

JC laughed at the site in front of him. Kara was a hard worker and he had seen her like this four days ago. He didn't bother her then but he had missed her very much. He knew they had a real busy schedule and they were luck that they got today off. Or so he thought. He thought she had off too and was going to treat her to a lunch date.

 

“Dam and I thought I worked myself to death” he spoke up as he and Carly stood in the doorway of the kitchen.

 

Kara jumped out of her seat and her face turned white. She looked as if she saw a ghost. “Oh shit, JC...you scared me half to death.” She said calming down. She then saw Carly standing there too and laughing her ass off with JC by her side. She looked to the two of them as she then asked, “Okay a) how long have you both been standing there, b) how the hell did you get into my house, and c) what the hell are you doing here?”

 

Carly looked at JC and took the first two questions, “Well, a) we have been standing here for about five minutes, b) the doorbell rang and I answered it and invited him in to OUR house and c),” Carly then looked at JC and asked that herself, “Yeah what the hell ARE you doing here?”

 

JC chuckled and said, “Well first as I told you Carly I haven't seen you in two weeks and wanted to see how you were doing, and second,” he then looked to Kara, “I missed seeing you the past two weeks, and wanted to know if you'd like to go to lunch and spend the afternoon with me.”

 

Kara did miss hanging out with him. Since that time they went to the mall a few weeks ago she wanted to spend some time with him again but being that they were all busy as all hell she never got the chance and by the time she would want to she saw how tired they were from rehearsals she didn't want to bother.

 

She smiled as she said, “Sure I'd love to but only if Carly can come for lunch. She and I had promised to do that together and I don't like breaking,” she was cut off by Carly.

 

“Okay let me cut in here, JC yes she will accept your date, and Kara, you can take me to dinner tonight,” Carly said then smiled back to JC, “With JC, Joey, Kelly, and Bre.” s

 

“Excuse me missy?” he said looking at her dead in the eye.

 

“Well if you must know Mr. Chasez,” Matching his facial expression “i am giving up my lunch with her so you can go on a date with her...you owe me buster.”

 

JC looked at her and said, “Deal missy, and you can tell Bre and Joey I said so too.”

 

Kara watched the two of them go back and forth. She then saw Carly say to her, “Kara go get your ass ready, he's gonna shrink to nothing if you keep him waiting. “

 

 

 

Kara snapped out of it and went upstairs to get ready. “Its not a date Kara, relax girlie, it's only lunch”

she had to keep telling herself as she went through her closet. She sighed as she then looked at the bed and decided that she was going to just wear what she had planned to go to Johnny's that night in.

 

Kara jumped in and out of the shower fast. She put on her outfit and smiled to herself. She was in a pair of denim cargo pants and a light blue camisole underneath her favorite black cardigan. She dried her hair with a towel and pulled it back with a clip. She put on a light layer of make-up from what she had not packed. She put on her sandals and a splash of perfume. She did a once over and smiled as she had to say again, “IT'S JUST LUNCH...IT'S NOT A DATE....”dam Carly for saying what she just said.

 

JC was sitting in the living room watching TV with Carly. He was laughing with her at whatever show they were watching. He saw her smile as she looked to the bottom of the staircase. She looked at him as he turned around and saw Kara. He eyed her up and down at her look. 'You clean up well Ms. Evans.”

 

Kara smiled as she said, “thank you. You ready?” She asked JC

 

JC got up and went to Carly and ruffled her hair. “thanks for letting me take Kara away from you. See you at 7?” he asked her.

 

“Yes,” Carly said getting up and going to Kara giving her a hug and saying, “I am going to my other home til dinner, I will text you when we are leaving there okay?” Carly said

 

Kara smiled as she said, “Okay just don't forget that Big Mike is going to be here,” as she said this she heard a loud knock and she knew he was here, “Well now,” Kara went to the door and smiled as she saw him enter.

 

“Hey there Kara, sorry I'm early but I went to see if Joey and their crew were ready but of course, Joey wasn't. So if you are all done I will get your stuff and then go back. “ he then looked to JC and stared at him oddly/

 

JC stared at Mike then Carly who was enjoying how Mike's face was trying to figure out why he was there. She sighed, “hey Tiny, JC is here to get Kara and go on a date. His stuff is already at Johnny's and he is more than ready to go. Happy now?” Carly said

 

Mike looked at her and smiled, “Yes half pint of me, I am,” he looked to Kara.

 

“Well our bags are in the Garage ready to go,” and she looked to JC and said, “As are we.”

 

“See you later Carly, and be easy on Tiny Mike, he doesn't need the abuse you are going to give him...” JC then mumbled “Yet.”

 

Mike rolled his eyes while grabbing the ladies bags, “Watch it JC, and Kara have a nice afternoon.”

 

 

 

Twenty minutes later JC and Kara were seated at a nice little Italian Bistro. Kara liked little places like this, “This is cute JC.” she said

 

“Yeah the food is amazing here, I hope you don't mind I picked this place.” He asked.

 

“No, not at all I have heard from Joey and Kelly that this place was nice and I should try it.” She said looking at him

 

“And now you are.” JC said smiling at her.

 

Kara smiled as the waiter brought over their waters, took their drink orders and left them to look over their menus. 'okay so maybe it could be a date.' Kara said to herself as she relaxed and looked at her menu trying to figure out what she wanted.

“What looks good to you?” JC asked as he looked up and smiled at how she looked at the menu.

 

“It's a toss up between the Shrimp and pasta or Chicken Franchese.” Kara said then looked to him, “what bout you?”

 

“I was looking at the same thing actually.” JC said as they both laughed.

 

“How about I get the Chicken and you get the other and we just share?” Kara asked as the waiter stood there.

 

JC smiled at how she was going to share her food. Other girls he took here would get a salad then look at him as if he was a slob as he ate some big dish. He smiled to the waiter and said, “what she said we are gonna do.” The waiter smiled as he grabbed the menus and walked away. JC looked at her as she looked around then to him.

 

Kara saw him staring at her and smiled as she said, “I can take a picture of myself if you want to stare at something.”

 

JC snapped out of it and laughed, “Ha ha. So where do you want to go after this?”

 

“Well I do need to go to target for a few little odds and ends.” Kara said as she sipped her drink she then looked at him, “If you don't wanna go it's cool.” she said

 

“Kara,” JC said as he leaned in to the table and continued, “I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to take you. I really want to do something with you today, so if you need to go shop we can do that. And after that we can go do something else, movie, bowling, mini golf.” JC was cut off as Kara laughed.

 

“Mini golf no, Movie I would say yes but it is gonna make me fall asleep and I plan on staying up until we get on the bus tonight so that's out.” she then looked at him s she said, “How about after lunch we go to the store, then if I figure something out I will let you know. And tonight the six of us can go bowling before going to the Compound.” Kara said

 

JC smiled at her. “Deal. He smiled at her as he then said, “So what places are you looking forward to seeing?”

 

Kara smiled as she started talking about how the tour was starting, “I like how we are going from Mississippi then out west then going out east. I am excited bout going to New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, LA, San Francisco, and of course the two weeks we have in New York . I get to see my family.” she then looked at him and started to blush, “Vegas, being I have never been there.”

 

“Really? You have never been to Vegas?” JC asked then continued, “I thought you went last year when we went for the awards show.”

 

“I was going to but I had to have Mark take my place, Carly got sick with the flu an I was not about to leave her alone with Kelly.” Kara said.

 

“Right, Joey told me that. Bre and Kelly stayed behind to at the time because it turned out that his daughter got sick so he was keeping tabs on all four of you worried.” JC said.

 

“Yeah Carly was horrible, she had such a bad fever that I was afraid I would have to take her to the ER.” she then went on, “But she broke it that night and was good.” she finished as she began to eat some of her food.

 

“Yeah then I turn of her getting the flu you got it and you passed out at work with a high fever and were dehydrated.” JC said.

 

Kara looked at him in amazement. “You remember that?” she asked

 

“Yeah, Joey took you to the ER, and called Kelly and told her to keep Carly at her house for a few days.” he said.

 

“Yeah I wound up staying in the hospital for two days cus me being me I ran my sorry ass down.” Kara said laughing.

 

“I remember seeing you that day. I was shocked you came in at all.”

 

“Hey I knew this spot was up for grabs and I didn't think I was that bad.” Kara said

 

JC looked at her and laughed, “honey, you looked like casper's sister”

 

Kara shrugged, “I was always like that. I remember being in high school playing basketball and I got pneumonia and tried going to school only having to call my mother to get me from school with a 103.8 fever.”

 

They fell into a comfortable silence as they finished their food and she heard a song come on in the background and she smiled to herself. She blushed as JC looked at her. “Sorry.” she then asked, “What were you asking?”

 

 

JC smiled and laughed lightly to her as he said, “I said nothing but obviously the song on the radio got you into la la land.”

 

“It's always been a favorite of mine, its a special song for me. I heard while Carly and I were driving down here and before that I hadn't heard it since I was in college.” she said smiling as she listened to the song

 

I wonder how I'll get along
I wonder where I might belong
Losing your way is easy to do
Wandering around without a clue

 

JC smiled as he hear the lyrics to the song and asked her, “what does it mean to you.”

 

Kara looked into his eyes as she spoke, “Well the chorus I love because it reminds me of how I made it through the toughest thing I had happen to me. Losing my husband, and then the battle of getting Carly, that was easy but I was just scared that it was going to have to fight her stepfather. Turned out he didn't care to have her. And when I found out the night after I had gotten her I was furious to the extreme. I fell into a deep depression.” Kara said looking at him

 

If there's a way I don't know where
If there's a why l'm standing here
Losing my mind is easy to do
Where are you...

JC was almost scared to ask her, “What happened? I-I mean if you want to talk about it I will listen.”

 

Kara looked at him in shock. “Y-You don't know the full story?” Kara said

 

“Nope, why?” JC asked as he sat there

 

And the rain falls down
It's the only way it gets better
When the rain is fallin' down
Telling me that l'm gonna make it through

Kara sat back in shock. She thought he would have found out by now and being that he didn't shocked her down to her core. “Wow, I thought Joey would have told you and the guys by now.” she said sitting and playing with the napkin. She took a deep breath and went on.

 

I never thought of what it cost
All of the time I might have lost
So much to gain playing it cool
I'm better cast playing the fool

“Well you knew that my husband was planning on leaving me for Carly's mom and her mother was leaving her husband for him.?” Kara saw JC nod his head and she went on. “Well what I found out the night that the papers were signed saying that I had officially adopted Carly was a shock to me more then anyone.”

 

“What was that?' JC said looking into her eyes.

 

“Well let me backtrack to when he was starting his affair.”Kara said to him. She then went on, “Just before he started his affair I thought I had the best life, and family of three with my first on the way.” she looked at his face before she went on.

 

And the rain falls down
It's the only way it gets better
If the rain would fall down
Then I know I could make it through the night

 

“Well that didn't ring true. I lost the baby that I was supposed to have at 10 weeks. I was devastated as was my husband. I grieved and then got over it because he promised me that we would try again soon. Then things changed. Nathan, would work later, not be around as much and if he was he would always be on his phone texting someone, talking to someone and what not. I had a feeling something was going on and for months he would tell me that nothing was going on and that he was happy with me, and I believed him.” Kara said

 

“But this wasn't true.” JC said

 

Kara shook her head. “Not in the least. Two weeks before he died he admitted to me that he had been seeing her again and that they were in love again. He told me that he would like to try and work things out with me but I knew it wasn't going to happen. I started getting things prepared to leave, when that night happened.”

 

 

I know I will, but when will I
Stand up to myself, make up my mind
I might not have, what I had before
But I still got the rain

She then went on, “anyway, he was in a car accident that night with her in the car coming over to let me know it was over. They both died from the impact of the crash. But that wasn't the shock to me.” Kara had to take a deep breath as she said the next part. “I found out four months later that Liz..that's Carly's mom, was 5 months pregnant...with Nate's baby.” Kara finished.

 

JC didn't know what to say. Sorry would sound so stupid and mean as if like telling her 'oh get over it you are better off without him'. True she was better off without him, but to have someone you loved die cheating on you with his ex, die with them and then months later find out that he was having a child with that woman is just devastating. He took her hand into his and held it from across the table and let out what he wanted to say.

 

And the rain falls down
It's the only way it gets better
If the rain would fall down
Then I know I could make it through the night

 

 

“I know that this is going to come out all wrong but let me try to let it out right.” he took a breath and went on, “what happened to Nate and Liz was sad, not just because they are gone, but because I feel bad for Carly not having her parents around. As for what they did to you and what you had to go through? That right there shows what kind of woman you really are.”

 

Kara looked at him a little puzzled. “And what kind of woman do you see in me?” she asked. She felt him stroke her hand and put her sorrow she was feeling at ease.

 


 

 

 

“You, Kara are an amazing woman. Strong even if you don't think you are. You took a crappy time for Carly and yourself and have turned it into something better for the both of you. What happened to you , true was horrible but you are able to smile through it and in the end you are coming out on top.” he looked into her eyes and went on, “true it doesn't take the pain from what happened away right now or even right away, but I can see in time you are going to come out better than okay.” JC said

 

JC let go of her hand as she wiped the tears away from her eyes. He waved down the waiter and paid for their lunch. And they both got up. At that moment Kara stopped him and gave him a hug.

 

Kara blinked back the tears that came to her face and smiled. She said to him, “Thanks Josh.”

 

“What for?” he asked

 

“For seeing in me what I have only begun and still I am having a hard time seeing. Only other people to tell me that are Carly and my parents.” she said to him

 

And the rain falls down
It's the only way it gets better
When the rain is falling down
Telling me that I'm gonna make it through

 

 

“Kara, I am not going to lie to you. I like you...a lot. And I would like to see where this friendship could go but I'm not going to push you.” JC said as he cupped her face in his hands.

 

Kara looked into his eyes and said, 'I like you too, I am just scared JC and I want to take it slow. I don't want to have my heart taken again.”

 

JC smiled as he let go of her face and put her hand in his, as if it was meant to be there in her hands. “I promise to do my best to not break your heart.”

 

“That's all I can ask for right now JC.” Kara said smiling.

 

And the rain falls down
It's the only way it gets better
When the rain is falling down
Telling me that I'm gonna make it through

 

JC saw her face light up in a way he had never seen and he was happy to know that he could do that to her. He took the hand he was holding and gave it a soft secure kiss and said, “Good, let's go have some fun now!”

 

Oh yeah, it's the only way
Oh, ohhhhh, it's the only way
Let it rain, let it rain down on me

 

Kara smiled as they walked out of the restaurant holding his hand and feeling the start of something she hadn't felt in a long time. She started to not feel so alone.

 

 

song in the story is “Rain” by Joey McIntyre.

Chapter End Notes:

reviews are nice...i am starting the next chapter now so...maybe another update soon...hopefully ;)



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love assistant tour jc