Author's Chapter Notes:

okay this got a little longer than i planned...but it worked for me so if you don't like it oh well...here you go...i love how this all worked out and i think it will...wait why am i telling you...READ IT YOURSELF AND FIND OUT....lol....

side note: to everyone who i reading...thank you it means alot to me you guys are giving this story a shot...much love ...and now on with the chapter.....

 

Kara took one more look at her self trying to convince herself she looked okay.

 

“Are you sure we are to dress casually for dinner tonight baby.” Kara asked as she put on her shoes.

 

“Yes, I promise you...now come out here so I can see your sexy self.” JC said. He loved the fact that she had been worried. He wanted her to be as comfortable to meet his family. They were going to a small pizzarea near the hotel and it was all laid back relaxing. He liked these kinds of places better then going to the stuffy over priced restaurants that he had to take his ex's to. He liked that Kara and Carly would be thirlled going to a chain place or just to relax. Made him feel human in his bubble of a world he had been in. This is what he had been looking for.

 

Kara walked out and JC smiled. She was in a denim skirt that was mid thigh, with a black v-neck tee shirt. Her hair was lightly wavy, and pulled in a thin black head band. Her feet were in a simple pair of black flip flops.

 

Kara sensed JC's eyes on her as she turned around.

“Something wrong?” Kara asked as she looked down at herself.

 

“No, acutally you look cute tonight.” JC said as he went to her and kissed her on the lips.

 

Kara smiled. She had liked this outfit and was trying to decide when to wear it. She rarely wore a skirt out so tonight she decided to wear one. “Thank you sweetie, Carly ready?”

 

“She should be ready,” Just as JC was saying that they hear the group as well as Carly out in the hall.

 

Kara laughed as she grabbed her bag checking to see if everything was in there and said, “Well I am shocked to hear the whole group is ready.”

 

“And on time too.” JC said as they walked out. Kara heard Carly and Joey getting into one of their heated arguments bout the baseball game they were going to tomorrow in the afternoon, after the Operah show. They were having an argument over as you guessed it....baseball teams, which one was the better team. This had been going on since they found out that they were going to the Cubs/Mets game and that Joey has been was and always will be, a huge Mets fan.

 

“Joey seriously how the hell can you love a team that is 6 games under 500? The Mets suck big time. They haven't won a series ring since 1986.” Carly argued.

 

“Beats loving a bunch of overpaid assholes...” Joey was starting to argue

 

“That have..”Carly started but couldn't think how many championships so she went on... “more than one in over 25 years, and to boot they lost to the yankees during the seires of 2000...in five games...THAT YOU SANG THE ANTHEM TO!! How did that meeting go with Jeter, who si still on the team that kicked your sorry teams ass! THANK YOU ARGUMENT OVER!”

 

Kara laughed at the scene in front of her Carly all 5'5” of her up against Joe's 6' even frame.

 

“I....I...” Joey was speechless.

 

'Dad, she got you good...real good...and I hate to tell you this but, I agree with her. The Mets, well they suck.” Breanna said standing next to Kelly and Carly.

 

Joey just huffed and threw his hands up in the air as if he was giving up in defeat.

 

“Well now that the argument is over on who is a better baseball team,” JC said then sneezing and saying 'yankees' he continued, “Who is ready to see the Chasez family.”

 

All agreed as they took the elevator down to the lobby. Luckily it was not too bad. A few fans there that the guys all happily signed autographs and they even recognized Kara and Carly. One girl smiled at Kara and asked for her autograph. Kara smiled and scribbled her name.

 

“You know what you are so sweet. I am so happy for you and JC. You make an amazing couple.” the girl said.

 

JC looked to Kara as they both said thank you to the girl then left the building. Kara smiled as JC wrapped his arm around her shoulders and side hugged her. They walked that way to the restaurant. As they got there they saw JC's parents as well as Tyler. Heather couldn't go due to being stuck at classes in college but was going to meed up with the family in New York and meet Kara then.

 

JC smiled as he got closer to his mother letting Kara go and walking to his mom. She stood a way for a moment but that was before she felt Tyelr going behind her and bear hugging her from behind her. She screamed at him.

 

“Dam you Tyler must you always try to scare the shit out of me!” she said as she was placed back to the ground. She laughed as she was let go.

 

“Now why would I say hello to you any different way. Just because you choose to date my brother don't mean crap Kara.” Tyler said as he then gave her a proper hug.

 

“And your problem with that is what Ty?” Carly said. She had met Tyler before when they first moved to Orlando and he was visiting. He and Tyler always had this big brother little sister type thing going back and forth.

 

“I just wanna know how she can handle him. He's....He's...so...” Tyler said.

 

JC heard this and went to his brother and put him in a head lock “I am a what?” JC said as he tightened around as everyone started to laugh

 

“You are the best bro, now let me go...i can't breathe.” Tyler gasped as JC had him in the lock

 

JC let him go and then pulled him up, “That's what I thought baby bro.” JC said as they hugged.

 

Carly leaned to Tyler as she said, “I would have said nerd or geek.”

 

Tyler laughed as he whispered back, “I agree.”

 

JC saw the two laughing and was about to start in on the two but saw how Kara took the initiative and went to his parents. He quietly stood there and watched

 

Kara smiled as she quietly went to Karen and Roy saying hello. She was not nervous until that given moment. “Hello Mr and Mrs Chasez.” Kara said as quiet as ever.

 

“Kara, how good to see you and please for the love of god I have told you before it's Karen.” Karen said as she smiled to her.

 

“And please it's Roy here honey.” Roy said as he pulled her in to a hug.

 

“Roy, Karen, I want you to meet my stepdaughter, Carly.” Kara said. She turned around as she saw Carly play fighting with Tyler and JC. She laughed then said, “Carly come here a moment sweetie.”

 

Carly stopped as she froze, she then became shy as she looked to both boys. “Um...okay.” She walked over to Kara as she looked back to JC. He smiled as if to say she was okay. She felt Kara's hand and gripped it as if she was a little kid all over again. She smiled and said, “H..Hi”

 

“Hello sweetie, nice to finally meet who Josh has been talking about all this time.” Roy said. Smiling at her.

 

Carly looked to JC and back, nervously she said, “I hope it was all good.”

 

“Trust me sweetie we know everything and I must say he has spoken the truth so far.” Karen said as she smiled at Carly.

 

Carly smiled as she then said, “I am happy to meet you two, it's nice to see that Kara is happy with JC, or Josh what ever you guys call him.” she said shyly.

 

“Whatever you call him we will understand. And please Call me Karen and him Roy. Okay?”

 

“I can live with that. And let me say then that I am happy those two found each other. It's nice to see Kara finally smile and be happy again.” Carly said as they walked in.

 

“Well I shouldn't say this but I will,” Karen said as they walked in to the restaurant. “I am glad he met her too. Since I met your, stepmother I always though she was perfect for him.”

 

Carly smiled at Karen, “Me too...now we gotta make it our mission to keep them together.”

 

JC and Kara smiled as they sat there. Knowing they were going to be just fine.

 

 

The whole night was going off without a hitch. Kara and Carly were warmly accepted into JC's family. They all had their fair share of embarrassing stories to tell and

 

Karen laughed and said, “Deal” she then noticed that She had her Camera with her. She asked, “Josh told me that you are an inspiring photographer and that you got a deal with Teen People to do the photos for their cover story coming in October.”

 

Kara smiled as she saw how Karen and Carly were interacting. She was happy to know that she was welcomed into their family. She felt someone tap her shoulder as she watched from afar. She saw Roy come to her and smiled.

 

Roy looked to Karen and Carly and smiled, “I take it Carly and Karen are getting along well.”

 

Kara smiled as she said, “I know I love to see how easily she can warm up to people now. When we lived in New Jersey she was somewhat shy for a long time. I would have to try and help her meet people being she was so shy. After her father and mother died it was the worst. She wanted to meet people where we lived but she was afraid.”

 

“Why is that.” Roy asked then said, “If you don't mind me asking.”

 

Kara shook her head, “I don't mind at all.” she took a deep breath. She knew this was going to be a long conversation. “When I frist met Carly which was over ten years ago she was a cute little girl who was the one who wanted to be the center of attention. Shy, sometimes but she warmed up to me right off the bat. We connected right away as she did with anyone she liked a lot. She loved being around people. That changed when she was about 11 or 12.”

 

“How so?” Roy asked.

 

“Well, it was after her father and I married. I always thought her mother told her not to get to comfortable with my family. That she wouldn't know them too long so it would be easier. That was the truth as Carly told me right after I found out that my husband was cheating on me with her mother. She didn't tell me to hurt me she told me because in truth she loved my family. She loved being around them and it made her sad that her mothers words would be so true.”

 

“Wow, that's hard for a girl to take, at any age.”

 

“Tell me about it, I mean it killed me more. Then when her father died, I had a battle.”

 

“The will that was laid out right?” Roy asked knowing

 

“Yeah, I mean it told me that I was responsible for Carly, if he died before she was 21.” She said.

 

“So that doesn't sound so hard.” Roy said as he saw JC sit behind her.

 

“Well, it wasn't.” Kara said as she felt JC's hand on hers. She knew she needed to share this with Roy. Knowing the truth behind JC's story she wanted to be honest with Roy and Karen who was at the other end being told the same story but from Carly's point of view.

 

“Sweetie if you don't wanna talk about it I understand I mean I know you know Josh's story but..”Roy was cut off by Kara

 

“No...no I want to tell you.” Kara took a deep breath and went on. “When Nate, my husband died he had a will like I told you. Well little did we know that Lucy had a will as well that stated her father, Carly's grandfather and family would have all rights to her as well.”

 

“Wow, so you had to go to court.” Roy said

Kara shook her head and went on, “Yes but that was the good part. The three months before that were hell for Carly, as well as me. I mean after losing her father she went to live with her Mother's family. I would get calls from her all the time. She would be crying that she was being bounced from her grandmothers to her aunts to an uncles house back to her grandfather's and all over again. When I got her on the weekends she would cry so hard that she didn't want to go back and one weekend I was driving her home and saw something that shocked the shit out of me.” Kara rememberd this as if it was yesterday.

 

“What was it?” Roy asked

 

“I had seen Carly's grandfather beating the crap out of her aunt. I then saw him coming to the car yelling for Carly to get out and that she was gonna get it too. I could smell the booze on his breath 10 feet from my car. Not knowing what to do I drove off and called the cops. Carly was crying hysterically begging me not to send her back there.”

 

Roy was in shock as he looked to Carly, the lively full of energy sixteen year old that was talking to Karen. He always thought Josh had it hard, but he was wrong. He was wrong by a mile.

“So I take it he didn't get her.” Roy said

 

“Nope they arrested him that night and found out he had a case against him with social services that went back to the point when Carly was born.” Kara said. She went on, “Social services handed me to her, I got a restraining order as well as a no contact order and that was the last we heard from him again. He died about a year ago of an overdose.” Kara stated.

 

“How long did your adoption take after all that?” Roy asked as he saw JC hold on to Kara as she looked back to him. He could already tell the bond he had with Kara and most importantly...with Carly.

 

“I had the adoption signed and done the say after he died. When I took Carly home for the funeral. I told her she didn't have to go but she wanted to. While we were there she saw her old family and she said to them that she was with a great person and had more family and friends than she could have ever asked for. They all wished her well and they went their separate ways.” Kara said.

 

Roy not knowing what to say got up and pulled Kara into an embrace. One that told one adoptive parent...no one parent to another what they wanted to hear. He pulled away and said, “I can't tell you how proud I am of you and I just got to know what kind of woman my son is dating. You ever need something, come to us.” He turned to Josh and said, “If you screw this up I will kick your scrawny ass son. Got it?”

 

JC laughed as he said, “Yes dad.” then went to his father and gave him a hug.

 

Carly walked over arm around Karen and both smiled at Kara and Josh. Karen went to Kara and hugged her to.

 

“Welcome to this family girls. I am so happy that you did what you did. It shows real guts, and let me tell you something bout that girl, she is one hell of a girl. And the pictures she showed me from her lil album. I can't wait to see the real deal.” Karen said.

 

Carly's face lit up. She was happy to see how warm and welcoming JC's family made them both feel. She also smiled even brighter as Kara invited them to New York and to meet Kara's family during the Family Barbecue that was going to happen next weekend. Carly really liked JC's family and how they made her feel welcome. Unlike her old stepfather's family that just ignored her. JC's family reminded her of, well Kara's family. Warm open and welcome.

 

 

Later after Kara gave Carly permission to go out to the movies with Justin, Bre, Kevin (Chris' brother) and yes Johnathan. Kara and JC walked back to the hotel. The were going to go upstairs and Kara noticed that the piano in the bar was empty. She looked to JC and decided to give him a shock. She tugged his hand as they went to the empty piano.

 

JC was stunned that she wanted to go to the piano. He was happy to oblige but what shocked him is when Kara took a seat in front of the keys. He saw her crack her knuckles and wiggle her fingers.

 

“Let's see if I remember how to play.” Kara said as she started to play some scales then looked to JC and started to play the opening chords of 'I want you back' in a jazzed up way.

 

JC stood there in total shock. He then started to stutter, “Y..you know..” he couldn't speak he was speechless.

 

“Do I know how to play. Yep. I learned when I was 16. It was during free time in chorus practice that a friend of mine taught me how to play. I picked it up very quickly.” Kara said.

 

“Wait! Just...you can sing to?” JC said as he stared at her.

 

Kara started to play happy birthday and started to sing. She smiled as she saw the look on JC's face. He just sat down next to her listening to her. She smiled as she finished and looked at him.

 

“Okay you just shocked the shit out of me.” I cant believe you have a voice like that.

 

Kara smiled then thanked him. She then took her bag and pulled out the folder she hid in the big messenger bag. She then opened it and pulled out a piece of paper that had lyrics. She looked at JC as he had a questioning face.

 

“What is that?” JC said as he saw the words on the page

 

Kara showed mock hurt, “Okay as a musician I am shocked you are even asking that.” Kara said as she warmed her fingers up again she then stopped and said, “It's lyrics to a song I wrote when I found out that Nate was cheating. And I had truly knew it was over. It's not my first song but this just fits for how I felt before and well I am rambling so here it goes.”

 

Kara started to play the music she committed to memory. Letting her self get lost in the song. A song she wrote in college and then added music to over time. As song she would play when all alone.

 

Wishing for someone to make her feel not alone.

 

There's a place in my heart
That I go when I dream
A place that nobody can see
Every night I see love
I see someone who's waiting
Waiting for someone like me
He must be out there
Somewhere, someone for me

[Chorus:]
Tell me how long
'Till I'm not just dreaming
How long, 'til somebody cares
How long, 'til I meet an angel
And give him my heart,
When can I start
How long 'till I fall in love

JC could not take his eyes off of her as he sat there and listened to her. She sang the song with an emotion, he couldn't even describe. The song spoke volumes to him as he sat there and listened to her in a trance as she sang it and just saw her open her eyes and look ahead. Oblivious to him being there in her own world. Where the music was taking her.

 


I sit every night
By my window just wishing
And searching for one perfect star
Can anyone hear me
Dunno if you're listening
Please send him right here
To my arms
He must be out there
Somewhere, waiting for me

Tell me just how long, will it be...


Tell me how long
'Till I'm not just dreaming
How long, 'til somebody cares
How long, 'til I meet an angel
And give him my heart,
When can I start
How long 'till I fall in love

 

Kara sat there singing letting her fingers gliding over the piano keys as she sang. She knew JC was watching but she didn't care she let her emotions come out as she felt a tear fall and kept on going. Not caring that she let her true emotions come out during this song.

I've always believed
That my dreams would come true
That one of these nights
He would appear
He'd be here in my arms
I see it all, so clearly
How it could be
I wish he was kissing me now...


Tell me how long (how long)
'Till I'm not just dreaming
How long, 'til somebody cares ('til somebody cares)
How long, 'til I meet an angel (my angel...)
And give him my heart (heart...)
When can I start
How long 'till I fall in love (in love...)

How long 'till I fall in love...
How long 'till I fall in love...
How long 'till I fall in love...

After the last note was played Kara let a tear fall and turned looked at JC who sat there. She looked to him.

 

JC smiled at her, wiped the tear that fell from her face, He leaned in and kissed her softly on the lips then pulled away. Not knowing how to say anything at first then, said just above a whisper, “That was amazing. Thank you for sharing with me this little secret.”

 

Kara smiled leaning her forehead on his and looking right into his eyes, “I should be thanking you.”

 

JC looked to her as he asked, “Why's that?”

 

“Cause I don't have to wait to know how long I have to wait.” Kara said.

 

JC smiled as he asked, “Wait for what?”

 

“Wait to fall in Love.” Kara said as she kissed him softly on the lips. She pulled away and said,

“I love you Josh, More than you could know.”

 

JC cupped her face as he said, “I have an idea and I love you too Kara.”

 

He then went and kissed her with the softest sweetest kiss she could have imagined.

 

 

 

Song Credit: How Long by: Dream”

Chapter End Notes:

ahh...i hope you enjoyed this chapter....

 NEXT UP:  Pittsburg...and then NYC to meet Kara's family...

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love assistant tour jc