Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: If any of you are familiar with the band Incubus (whose lead singer, Brandon Boyd, is the inspiration for, you guessed it, Brandon), you'll notice that I yanked one of their song titles for the concert scene in this chapter. However, the band is not at all meant to be portraying themselves in this story. Whereas in reality, Incubus is a fairly popular band, in the story, they are relatively unheard of. Just wanted to clear up any potential confusion.

Ninety minutes later, Caroline was seated at the bar in a dim, smoky lounge, watching the clock and drowning her misery in a warm beer. 

JC had been circulating around the room all night.  At first, she tried in vain to stay by his side, aware that she looked like a lost puppy nipping at his heels.  No one even seemed to acknowledge her. Caroline was sure that the room was chock full of famous people, and they were all assholes.  She stopped trying to recognize anyone, and eventually planted herself on a lone barstool.  She doubted JC even realized she was gone, judging by his distinct and boisterous laughter floating across the room.  She rolled her eyes and signaled the bartender to replenish her beer.  

"You look like you're having tons of fun."  A voice close by, almost too close, startled Caroline and she glanced over her shoulder to search for the culprit.  An attractive, well-dressed, muscular guy had taken the seat next to her and he nodded in her direction with a smooth smile.  He looked vaguely familiar but Caroline couldn't place the inkling of memory in the back of her mind.

"That obvious, huh?"  Caroline thanked the bartender for her fresh beer and took a long drink.  "I'm not much of an actress."

"You don't look like an actress at all," the stranger replied, and Caroline shrugged. 

"Well, that's because I'm not.  I'm just a lowly assistant."  Her sarcasm held a bitter taste in her mouth, and the man chuckled.

"Who do you work for?"

"JC Chasez."  She tried to restrain her eye roll as she repeated her boss' name.  The man nodded and smiled.

"Not a bad deal.  JC's a great guy."

"Yeah, he's super."

The man politely overlooked her dry tone and offered his hand.  "I'm Mario."

Caroline shook it, noticing derisively how soft his hands were.  "Caroline."

"Nice to meet you."  At least he was friendly enough, and she had something to take her mind off of watching the clock behind the bar.  "How long have you worked for JC?"

"About a week.  So...the jury's still out."  Her alcohol intake was loosening her tongue a bit, and Caroline mentally berated herself.  "I mean...well, you know what I mean."

Mario smiled.  "He's had a few assistants since I've known him, yeah."

They chatted idly for a few minutes about unimportant things, such as the weather and the basketball game that was on the TV behind the bar.  He didn't say anything or brag directly in a way that made Caroline assume he was famous, despite his  celebrity hands, so she relaxed around him, somewhat glad to finally have someone to talk to.

Eventually though, someone more important came around, and Mario excused himself, but not after a polite goodbye. 

"It was nice talking with you, Caroline," he said genuinely.  "Maybe I'll see you around."

"Maybe."  She waved and finished off her beer as he walked away, deciding to make it her last.  She'd nearly said some fairly incriminating things about her boss, and it was probably time to call it quits.

"Look at you, hobnobbing away."  As if he'd heard her thoughts, JC appeared on the other side of her, empty glass in hand.  He abandoned it on the bar and gave her a knowing look. 

"What?"

JC nodded in the direction of a retreating Mario.  "Do you know who you were just talking to?"

"Mario."

"Mario Lopez," JC corrected, and Caroline paused, trying to place the name in her memory.  The alcohol slowed things down considerably, but JC waited, watching her expression closely.  Suddenly, she gasped.

"A.C. Slater?  Holy shit."

JC chuckled loudly at her naiveté.  "You're good to have around for a laugh, Caroline."

She was too busy ruminating over the fact that she'd just held a conversation with the former star of one of her favorite 80's shows of all time to register his rudeness.  "Wow."

JC tugged on her arm to return her attention to himself.  "You ready to get out of here or what?"

Caroline frowned, processing his question slowly.  "Now?"

"Yeah."  JC glanced at his watch.  "It's 8:30.  If traffic's okay, we can make it to North Hollywood in about ten minutes."

Caroline pushed her empty beer bottle aside and turned sideways in her barstool.  The thought of literally walking into Brandon's Troubadour show with a former member of NSYNC was jarring enough to sober her up quickly.  "JC.  You don't have to go.  I can get a cab."

Again that blank, inexpressive stare.  "I want to go."

Caroline blinked.  "Why?"

"Because I'm bored and I want to hear your boyfriend's band."  He cocked his head at her.  "Good enough?  Come on."

He left little room for argument and Caroline found herself accompanying him out of the party reluctantly. 

It was 8:35 by the time they arrived at the Troubadour.  After JC complained about the lack of valet and worried about leaving his car parked along Santa Monica Boulevard unattended, they finally made it to the door at 8:40.  Caroline quickened her steps as they approached, already hearing the music from the sidewalk.  Knowing their basic set list by heart, she could tell they were nearly done. 

The man at the door had run security for a couple other shows the guys had played at, and he recognized Caroline.

"Hey, how's it goin'?" he greeted, pulling the rope aside for her.  "Thought you'd be inside already."

"Yeah, I got...hung up."  Caroline glanced over her shoulder at JC, who was a few steps behind, taking his time.  "He's with me."

The door guy nodded and waved them both in.  A few other familiar faces smiled and greeted Caroline as they entered and made for the bar area.  Caroline nudged her way through throngs of people to make her way to the banister overlooking the main floor.  Overall, the turnout was amazing - the place was packed - and she smiled in spite of herself, nodding her head along with the beat of the song they were finishing up. 

As always, it was exhilarating for her to see Brandon onstage, in his element.  There was nowhere else he fit better, and it showed.  Perhaps it was because she'd spent so long watching him struggle through a life he didn't want to lead...now, he was content and she felt fulfilled just watching him do what he loved.  As disappointed as she was to have missed almost the entire set, her frustrating night seemed to fade away as she leaned against the railing and watched them.

"They don't even have a coat check here?"  JC had caught up to her, and Caroline jumped at his voice in her ear.  She'd almost forgotten he was with her. 

"No.  You'll just have to hold it," she replied, raising her voice as the song ended and the venue filled with applause.  JC shrugged out of his wool coat and draped it over the railing carefully. 

Ignoring his obvious discomfort, Caroline tuned back in to the action onstage as Brandon addressed the crowd through his microphone.

"Hey, I hope you guys have enjoyed the show tonight.  We're finishing up, but we got one more song for you."  He held up his hand against the light and squinted out into the crowd.  "This last song we're gonna play is for somebody very specific.  She might be here, if her asshole boss let her off the hook for the night." 

The crowd laughed and Caroline felt her cheeks flush.  She didn't dare look at JC. 

"Anyway, I know this is probably going to destroy a lot of my cred as a rock and roll superstar, but...I'm in love with this girl and I wrote this song for her."  Caroline could see Brandon's blush from the stage as several audience members issued a collective aww.  "If she's here, she knows who she is."

The band launched into the opening notes of "Wish You Were Here", and Caroline rested her chin in her hand, the warm feeling in the pit of her stomach spreading out through the rest of her body in a slow, comfortable way.  She could feel JC at her elbow and the other people in the building pushing and moving around her, but in her heart, nothing else existed but the song and the man on stage singing it for her.

When they were finished, the band exited to enormous applause.  Caroline joined in and was surprised to see JC clapping slowly as well. 

Once the noise had died down considerably, he turned to her with a smug expression.  Caroline started rolling her eyes before he even opened his mouth. 

"So, I'm the asshole boss?"

"He was just messing around."

JC loosened his tie.  "They're pretty good.  They aren't signed?"

Caroline cocked her head.  "No, but don't get any sneaky ideas.  They won't take handouts."

"Whoa, pump the brakes," he urged, holding up his hands.  "I wasn't suggesting anything.  Just asking."

Caroline turned away from him and chewed on the inside of her cheek as she scanned the room for a familiar face.  All she wanted to do was find Brandon.  Maybe now that they show was officially over, JC would just leave.  It was clear this wasn't his idea of a fun Friday night, anyway.

To her disappointment, his next words inferred the opposite.  "I'm going to get a drink.  Want anything?"

"Just a Coke," Caroline replied, knowing she didn't want to drink any more.  JC quirked an eyebrow but didn't comment.

She stood by herself at the banister for awhile, drumming her fingers against the chipped wood and scanning the main floor below as some people flooded out and some lingered, interested in the next band setting up onstage.  She cursed Brandon again for not having a cell phone. 

"Here."  A highball glass plunked down in front of her as JC returned, one of his own in hand.  "The bartender wouldn't give me straight Coke.  Sorry."

Caroline glared at him, but took a quick gulp of the drink anyway.  The undertone of whiskey burned her throat on the way down, mixing pleasurably with the bubbly sweetness of soda.  

"You can take off, if you want," Caroline hinted, setting her glass down carefully.  JC turned and leaned his back against the railing as he sipped at his own cocktail. 

"I buy you a drink and now you're trying to get rid of me?" 

Caroline shifted her weight.  She would gladly fork over the seven dollars he'd paid for the drink she hadn't even wanted if it meant he left before Brandon tracked them down.  The longer JC stood there, looking more than completely out of place in his expensive suit, the more anxious Caroline became.

She had just taken another long gulp of her drink when a hand brushed her shoulder.  She wouldn't have noticed it at all, but the touch was as distinct as it always was.  She set her glass down and turned to see Brandon standing a couple feet away, hands in his pockets, smiling at her.

"You made it," he said, and Caroline sighed with relief, stepping into his waiting embrace. 

"God, finally."  She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.  "You did great.  I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, babe."  Brandon kissed her cheek as she pulled away, noticing JC for the first time.  Caroline quickly gestured between them as a means of introduction.

"Brandon, this is JC.  JC, Brandon."

They shook hands.  "Nice to meet you," JC said politely, and Brandon nodded, returning his hands to his pockets. 

"You, too."  He paused.  "I like your suit."

JC cleared his throat.  "Thanks.  I liked your set.  What we saw of it, anyway.  You guys are good."

Brandon leaned against the railing, leaving Caroline standing awkwardly in between them.  Her boyfriend and her boss, like night and day in nearly every way possible.  "Thanks, man.  I appreciate it."

The tension between them was very slight, but obvious.  Caroline took another sip of her drink. 

"Gotta say I'm surprised to see the both of you here," Brandon noted, motioning between them.  "Dave told me you had something else come up."

Caroline opened her mouth to admit her snafu of overlooking the schedule, but JC interrupted her.  "Yeah, I had to spring this on Caroline last minute.  She was a trooper though."  He shot her a pointed glance and Caroline managed a weak smile. 

"It wasn't a big deal," she assured.  "Just some party."

"Nothing this important," JC added, and his sarcasm was barely detectable, but didn't go unnoticed by Brandon. 

"I just wouldn't picture something like this to be your...scene."  Brandon shrugged.  "I guess Caroline roped you into it." 

Caroline widened her eyes at Brandon slightly, but he just rubbed her shoulder.  JC glanced at his watch quickly before returning his gaze to Brandon.

"You guys ever record?" 

Brandon raised his eyebrows at JC's quick subject change.  "We've done a bit, here and there.  Not professionally, but Carver, our DJ, has a small set up in his garage.  Probably nothing compared to what you have at your disposal, of course."

JC finished off the last of his drink with a nod.  "I'm getting a refill.  Either of you want anything?" 

Brandon shook his head and Caroline felt her tense shoulders relax as JC left them alone. 

"Jesus, Brandon," she breathed, and he laughed. 

"What?  He started it."

"Come on.  You're the one that said I like your suit."

"It's a nice suit!" Brandon exclaimed, and Caroline glared at him.  "Okay, okay.  It's just...weird that he's here.  Right?"

"I guess, but can you stop being an asshole?" she asked.  "I mean, he is still my boss.  And he was cool about leaving the party early and driving all the way over here."

Brandon took a sip of the bottle of water he was holding and nodded, capitulate.  "Alright, alright.  I'll play nice."  He wrapped an arm around her neck and pulled her against him.  His t-shirt was slightly damp with sweat and his skin was hot against hers.  "I'm just glad you're here...even if you did bring a pop star douchebag as your date."

Caroline hit him in the stomach as he laughed.   "Okay.  That was the last one, promise."  He pressed a kiss to her temple.  "It was a good show, Caroline.  I wish you'd been here for the whole thing."

"Me, too," Caroline admitted, feeling disappointed again.  "I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's not your fault."  He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.  "You look nice, by the way.  I like that dress."

"Thanks."

"How come you never usually get this fancy for these things?"  Brandon asked, feigning suspicion, and Caroline rolled her eyes.

"Oh, God, you'll never believe who I met tonight!" she exclaimed suddenly, seizing a handful of Brandon's t-shirt.  She didn't wait for him to guess.  "A.C. Slater!"

Brandon frowned.  "Like, from Saved by the Bell?"

"Yes!"

"No shit."  He smiled, looking impressed.  "That's great.  I guess the night wasn't a total waste after all."

JC returned then, fresh drink in hand.  A few people nearby had started to stare at him, whether it was because of his sorta-celebrity status or his Armani suit, Caroline wasn't sure.

"Hey man," Brandon started, holding a hand out towards him as if it were a peace offering.  "I wanted to say thanks for getting Caroline over here tonight.  You didn't have to do that."

JC shrugged.  "Not a big deal.  I wanted to hear you guys."

"Yeah?"  Brandon kept his arm around Caroline's neck as he glanced down at her.  "She's not bragging about us or anything, is she?"

JC chuckled.  "Nothing too extreme.  Look," he set his drink down and pulled a card out of his pocket, similar to the one he'd given Caroline the day they'd met, "if you, or any of the guys you play with, are ever interested in recording anything...give me a call."  He handed Brandon the card and shrugged again.  "Don't think of it as a handout.  Just business."

Brandon eyed the card suspiciously but slipped it in his pocket nonetheless. 

"Alright.  Thanks."

An awkward moment of silence descended over them.  JC set his glass down and picked up his coat.

"Well, I think I'm taking off.  Nice meeting you."  He and Brandon shook hands again, and JC nodded at Caroline.  "See you Monday."

And then he was gone.

Caroline relaxed against Brandon, picking up her glass for another sip.  He eyed her carefully as she drank.

"How much have you had to drink tonight?" he asked when she was finished, and Caroline shrugged, feeling embarrassed. 

"A couple beers earlier, and now this."  She shrugged again and Brandon managed a half smile, pushing her glass not so subtly to the side.

"Well, are you sober enough to hear some more good news?"  At her emphatic nod, he continued.  "The promoter that booked us for this show was impressed, I guess.  He has a few spots coming up around town in the next couple of months.  He may want us to play an opening slot at the Wiltern."

Caroline gripped Brandon's hand.  "Are you kidding?  That's amazing." 

"Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see how things work out."  Brandon threaded his fingers through hers and looked down at their conjoined hands.  "Leanna is due next month, so Jake may be out of commission for awhile."

Leanna was their drummer Jake's wife, and she was heavily pregnant with their first child.  Caroline nodded in understanding.  "That's still a great opportunity for you guys." 

"It is, yeah."  Brandon stifled a yawn and nodded at someone who walked by and congratulated him on a good show.  "Hey, you ready to get out of here and go home?" 

Caroline tugged on the hem of his t-shirt, amused.  "We used to stay out all night after these things.  It's not even 10:00."

Brandon shrugged.  "I'm getting old.  Pretty sure everyone else is gone already," he said, referring to the rest of the band members.  "All I wanna do is go home and watch some crappy Lifetime movie in bed with you.  Maybe get you outta that dress."  To emphasis his point, he leaned down and placed a kiss on her bare shoulder.  "Or, if you want to, we can stay here.  Watch this band that's probably better way than we were.  You can drink more.  And then we can pour ourselves into bed around 2 am, and you can enjoy feeling like shit tomorrow morning."

Caroline pushed him away.  "Okay, Mr. Holier Than Thou. "

Brandon smirked, picking up her jacket and helping her slip it on.  "You know you like it.  Just think about how warm and comfortable bed will be right about now.  We can sleep in tomorrow..."

"Okay, okay.  I'm sold.  Let's go."  Caroline slipped her hand in his, the same familiar fit that was always a comfort. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc