She tapped the toe of her shoe on the polished wood floor, keeping time with the ticking of the second hand on her watch.  The receptionist behind the front desk was typing something, her fingers flying over the keys at a rapid pace.  Somewhere in the background, soft music played. 

Her appointment had been made for 11:00, sharp.  And though she had been there at 10:50, the current time was 11:15.  She uncrossed and re-crossed her legs with a soft sigh.

Suddenly, a door opened near the receptionist's desk and a well-dressed, middle aged guy stepped out.  He handed the receptionist a folder and spoke with her quietly for a moment before looking up. 

"Caroline Reed?"

She was already watching him when his gaze landed on her, so she stood up, smoothing her skirt down her thighs carefully.  The man crossed the office to meet her halfway, shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Caroline.  I'm Kevin Connell.  Come on in."

Caroline followed him inside the spacious office, turning to close the door but finding that the receptionist had beat her to it.  Feeling completely out of her element, Caroline sat down gingerly on one of the stiff leather chairs positioned in front of the ornate Louis XVI desk.  It was clearly a replica, but she shrugged it off, admitting silently to herself that it still certainly cost more than her car. 

Kevin settled himself behind the desk, rustling a few papers around, presumably as he searched for her resume.  Caroline took in the view out the full picture window behind him, the LA city skyline giving way to a smoggy horizon, and if she squinted hard enough, a small strip of blue ocean in the distance.

"Sorry."  Kevin finally fished out her resume and held it out in front of him for a moment.  "Forgive me.  Will you have anything to drink?  Coffee?"

Caroline shook her head politely.  "No, thank you."  She made sure to speak with a smile, like her father had always told her.  Not too wide, not too tight, just enough to make them think you're a pleasant kind of gal. 

"Alright, then."  Kevin cleared his throat and perused her resume silently for a few moments.  Caroline made a distinct effort not to tap her shoe on the carpet while she waited. 

Finally, he let the paper fall to his desk and settled his gaze on her.  "USC grad.  You're a Trojans fan?"

Again, Caroline checked her expression for another soft smile.  "Only when it comes to football."

Kevin nodded towards a diploma framed on the wall.  "I graduated from UCLA."

She felt her smile become a little forced.  "I'm sorry to hear that."

To her relief, Kevin laughed.  "I like your sense of humor.  Humble, too."  He glanced down at her resume again.  "You graduated from Marshall just this spring, I see."

"I did."

"Completed your MBA in record time."  It wasn't a question.  "Impressive.  You've got some stellar internships listed here, as well.  Chase Bank, LA City Office of Finance."  He leveled a gaze at her.  "Any reason you didn't stay with either of them?"

Caroline shifted in her seat.  "Well, sir, I wasn't offered a position with either of them."

Kevin cocked his head.  "And why is that?  Your credentials are certainly impressive enough."

"If I may speculate, Mr. Connell-"

"First of all," Kevin interrupted, holding up a hand to stop her.  She saw a gold wedding band around his left ring finger and was betting that it was solid.  "Call me Kevin.  Second of all, please do speculate."

He folded his hands beneath his chin and watched her expectantly.  Caroline uncrossed her legs and sat up a little straighter unconsciously.

"Well, as much as I enjoyed my internships with both companies, and as much as I think that I excelled in performing my duties, I believe that I wasn't offered a position because I'd cost too much to employ."

Kevin frowned but didn't move.  "Is that so?"

"Yes, sir.  Even at an entry level position, given my educational background and experience, neither company could afford a suitable salary to hire me full time."  She paused, choosing her words carefully from the filing cabinet that was her brain.  "I was offered a part time position with Chase, but I turned it down."

"Hm."  Kevin continued to stare at her.  Caroline felt as though he was staring right into her thoughts.  "I contacted every reference listed on your resume personally.  Spoke with Mike Berman at the City, and he gave you a glowing review."

Caroline lowered her head, attempting to look humble.  "Mr. Berman was my supervisor.  He's a great guy."

"So I've heard."  Finally, Kevin looked away, glancing discretely at his watch.  "Well, Caroline, you should know that this job will not involve any of the high caliber kind of responsibilities you're accustomed to.  In fact," he lifted her resume and tapped a finger in the center of it, "you're completely overqualified for the position."

Caroline re-crossed her legs and folded her hands in her laps.  "With all due respect, Mr. Connell-"

Again, the hand, with its glinting gold ring.  "Please.  Again, it's Kevin, and I wasn't finished."

Caroline pressed her lips together and waited.

"You're aware that this will be an assistant job.  There will be some light bookkeeping and financial organizing of a personal nature, but not much."  Kevin paused to watch her nod tersely.  "I don't doubt it's anything you can't handle.  As much as I believe you'd be able to secure any number of positions at any top notch financial firm in Los Angeles, you came here, nonetheless.  I'm assuming you wouldn't have responded to the callback did you not want the job."

He tore a sheet off of the notepad sitting on his desk and scribbled something down.  "I am of the opinion that compensation should be reflective of an individual's background, experience, and work ethic."  He slid the paper across the desk to her, face down.  "I'm hoping that number will secure your desire to accept and maintain this position, no matter how below your qualifications it probably is."

Caroline picked up the paper, feeling her throat tighten, and tried not to let her eyes bug out of her head when she took in the five digits staring her back in the face.  To disguise her shock, she cleared her throat delicately and set the paper down. 

"What do you say?" Kevin asked, an almost imperceptible smirk growing on his face.  "Will that be sufficient?"

She swallowed before responding.  "I believe so."

"Great."  Kevin snatched up the paper and crumpled it before tossing it in a wastebasket out of sight.  "Then you accept?"

Caroline blinked.  Had she really just been hired in ten minutes?  For an interview she'd arrived early for and waited a near half-hour to begin?   Hoping the salary Kevin had scrawled down wasn't just a sick joke, she nodded. 

"I accept."

"Wonderful."  Kevin reached to shake her hand, and Caroline found her real smile replacing the stoic professional version on her face.  "Don't get up yet.  I've got scores of paperwork for you to fill out."

Kevin buzzed the receptionist and had her bring in a literal pile of forms.  He explained each one to Caroline in detail, and waited while she filled out and signed every single one of them. 

"Almost done," he announced, reaching for one more form while Caroline tried to shake the cramp out of her wrist.  "These are the confidentiality agreements."

Caroline frowned, peering at the document he handed her.  Words like discretion, obligations, and media  jumped out at her.  She wasn't a lawyer, but she knew these weren't standard employment forms, either.  "May  I ask what these pertain to?"

Kevin smiled.  "As you may or may not be aware, Caroline, I manage the professional accounts of a various number of celebrity clients.  The majority of them are in the music industry, and all of them are highly sought after by the press.  Skim through this agreement, and you'll find all sorts of fun warnings about being hounded by paparazzi, bribed by gossip magazines, the works."

Caroline turned the page in the agreement and scanned the rest of it.  "So this ensures that I keep my mouth shut about all the dirty laundry?  Literally and figuratively."

"Tactfully put," Kevin replied with a smirk.  "Yes.  Basically, by signing this, you agree to make the things you witness and information you procure to be kept a secret.  Not just to the press, but to family members, friends...we need a strict adherence to this policy for many reasons.  This position is contractually binding, and if any of these lines are crossed by you," he tapped his desk with a pen, "you'll be dismissed.  I understand it sounds harsh, but I hope you understand the necessity of this agreement."

Caroline nodded slowly.  She hadn't known the position would be dealing with a celebrity, and she wondered if she should be nervous.  What if it was somebody she hated?  Or more embarrassing yet, someone she loved?  "I do understand.  Sign here?"

Kevin nodded, looking pleased.  "Yes.  And initial here."

Once every form was finished, Kevin slipped them into a folder and Caroline watched him nervously.

"So, can I ask who this is I'll be working for?" she questioned, feeling comfortable enough now to drop her fake smile.  She tugged on the hem of her skirt nervously.  "Don't tell me it's Mick Jagger."

Kevin chuckled, sticking a Post-It on the folder and setting it to one side.  "Not quite.  Actually, if you have the time, he's in the building today.  I'm sure he'd love to meet you."

Caroline shrugged.  "Alright."  

Kevin stood and crossed the room to a heavy wooden door  Caroline hadn't noticed before.  He opened it inward, and peering around him, she saw what looked like a conference room within.  Kevin's voice was muffled as he instructed whoever was there to come in, and Caroline stood up, only slightly nervous now.  If it wasn't Mick Jagger, there weren't too many other people who could throw her for a loop.  Maybe Stevie Nicks, but Kevin had already indicated it was a man, so that was out.

Caroline was still trying to wrack her brain for celebrities she cared about when a tall, thin guy with dark hair slipped into the room, hands in the pockets of his well-tailored dark jeans.  Caroline blinked at him, confused.  Maybe this celebrity had two assistants.

Then he spoke.  "Hi.  I'm JC."

Caroline shook his offered hand, slightly confused.  "I'm Caroline."  She glanced at Kevin, who was watching her closely.  Dropping her hands back to her side, she shrugged slightly, feeling embarrassed.  "I'm sorry.  I...have no idea who you are."

To her surprise, Kevin burst out laughing, and the other guy, JC, who was supposedly the celebrity after all, cracked a smile.  He looked over at Kevin with a shake of his head.

"Way to go, man."

"I thought you preferred it this way," Kevin replied, and JC just shrugged.  "Sorry, Caroline.  This is JC Chasez.  You'll be working for him."

Caroline nodded slowly, figuring that maybe this was the best result.  If she didn't know who this guy was, she had less chance to embarrass herself around him.  Although part of her felt like she already had.  "Well, it's...nice to meet you."

"You, too." 

A brief moment of silence passed, and then Kevin cleared his throat. 

"Caroline, you'll be working primarily out of JC's home.  He has an office there.  I won't see you too much here, unless you need to run some specific errands for him." 

This was a surprise, and Caroline felt her eyebrows raise.  "Oh."

JC dug something out of his pocket.  "If you can come by the house tomorrow morning, we'll run through a few things.  Nothing too difficult."  He handed her a card.  "Address is on there, and my cell phone number.  There's a gate out front, but just text me when you get there and I'll let you in.  10:00 sound good?"

Caroline blinked, glancing down at the card.  Not only did the guy talk incredibly fast, he had also just told her to "text" him.  She wasn't great at judging appearances, but he looked to be her age or older...not sixteen.  Maybe he was gay. 

"Yeah.  Sounds fine." 

JC nodded.  "Great.  See you then."  He clapped Kevin on the back and disappeared back into the room from which he'd come from.  Kevin pulled the door closed and shrugged at Caroline.

"JC's a great guy.  A little particular, but you should get the hang of the way he likes things fairly quickly."  Kevin walked her to the door and shook her hand once more.   

Caroline didn't feel her shoulders relax until she was out of the building and down in the parking garage.  She sat behind the steering wheel of her Honda for a few minutes, trying to wrap her brain around all that had just happened.  Once she'd sufficiently mulled over the events of the morning, she glanced at her watch and turned her key in the ignition.

It took just fifteen minutes to cross town; traffic wasn't bad before the lunch rush started, and she was at the garage in record time.  She parked her car and crossed the lot towards the building, feeling the sun warm her skin through her jacket as she walked.

Carl greeted her at the entrance, wiping his dirty hands on an even dirtier towel.  "Girl, you walkin' in here like you got some good news today."

Caroline smiled.  "Carl, you know Brandon would kick my ass if you got to hear any of my news before he did."

"I guess so."  Carl paused, peering at her with his wise old brown eyes.  "It is good news though, right?"

Caroline just winked and he laughed.  "That's what I thought.  Your boy's with a customer right now, go on in the waiting room and I'll let him know you're here."  Caroline patted Carl's muscular arm as she passed. 

She sat on one of the hard plastic chairs in the bare waiting area, pretending to flip through an old Reader's Digest but really observing Brandon through the glass door.  He was standing in front of the raised hood of a silver Acura, his back to her while he motioned with his hands and talked to the distressed looking owner.  Caroline watched him lean over the engine and point something out, one ankle crossed carelessly behind the other as he spoke.  She watched his strong arms lower the car's hood and shake the owner's hand before he turned around.

He saw her through the glass before Carl could approach him and raised his eyebrows, head cocked questioningly.  Caroline felt the broad smile slide across her face; this one was most definitely not for show. 

Brandon, getting his answer, matched her smile and strode across the garage.

He flung open the glass door and stood in the doorway.  "Yeah?"

Caroline nodded excitedly.  "Yeah."

Brandon let out a whoop and crossed the room to lift her into his arms, heedless of his dirty coveralls and her clean work clothes.  He knew she didn't care. 

"That's my girl," he said, setting her back on her feet and smoothing his hands over her hair.  "I'm so proud of you, baby."

"Thanks."  Caroline wrapped her arms around his waist and accepted his kiss, giggling softly when he deepened it.  She broke away, bracing a hand against his chest.  "Watch yourself.  Don't start what you can't finish."

"I'll finish it later," Brandon murmured, ducking his head to kiss her jaw.  "We're celebrating tonight."

Caroline smiled against his ear, closing her eyes.  "Just wait until I tell you how much they're paying me."

"Mm."  Brandon pulled back to tuck her hair behind her ear gently.  "Is it enough for me to quit so you can become my sugar mama?"

"Yes," she replied, laughing as his eyes widened.  "Not that I'd recommend it.  Carl would be pissed."

"True."  Brandon let go of her and glanced back into the garage.  "Speaking of which, I've got a couple more things to do before lunch.  Can you stick around?"

"I suppose."  Caroline glanced at her watch, though she wasn't sure why.  It wasn't like she had any obligations awaiting her.  The thought of being done with the empty days with nothing to do but scour the paper for job openings was exciting.  "Are you going to try and make me eat half of your sandwich?"  Every day, without fail, Brandon took the same turkey on whole wheat sandwich to work with him.  Light mayonnaise, no mustard, thinly sliced tomato and lettuce.  He didn't even allow Caroline to make it for him; the process was too precise.

To her surprise, he shook his head.  "Hell no, baby.  We're celebrating.  Anywhere you want to go."

"Wow."  Caroline tapped her chin.  "Whatever will I choose."

Brandon grinned.  "Anywhere you want.  Although, it is Tuesday."

"Indeed it is." 

"And I'm pretty sure Jake is working today, so he could get us an even better deal..."

Caroline sighed good-naturedly.  "Noodle House it is, then."

Me Hueng Lo's Chinese Noodle House was a block away from the garage, and literally the only place Brandon chose to frequent if he wasn't eating his sandwich.  Tuesday was half-priced lunch specials. Caroline accepted his grateful kiss.

"Sounds perfect.  Give me ten minutes."  He kissed her again and disappeared back through the smudged glass doors.  Caroline sat down with a smile.  If she didn't love him so much, he might drive her crazy. 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc