"I don't know about this.  Remember what happened last time?"

"Well, that was a cheeseburger.  This is more expensive meat so it won't make you sick."

"I think that's just your way of justifying spending money."

JC tossed the package of steak he'd been holding back down into the cooler.  "Damn.  You wanna bust my balls a little more or are you done?"

Caroline smiled and picked up the steak again.  "I'm done."

"Thanks.  And remember what the doctor said about the extra iron..."

"I remember."  Caroline set the meat down carefully in their cart and moved on to the dairy section.  "What about cheese?  Should I be eating more cheese?"  She made a face as she picked up a vacuum-sealed package of sliced cheddar - she was still having trouble forcing herself to eat something that was basically mold.

"Calcium's probably good, especially since you hate drinking milk for some unknown reason."

"It's gross, it's so thick and weird and...gross," she pointed out.  JC nodded.

"I know.  It's gross."  He smiled at her then, leaning against the cart and giving her that look that made Caroline's whole body feel warm.  "How about yogurt?"

Caroline shrugged.  "Yogurt's okay."

She and JC were dissecting the important difference between plain and flavored yogurt when someone cleared their throat behind them.  Caroline stepped back, thinking they were crowding the display.

"Sorry, we're just..."  She reached for the cart, catching sight of the person who stood nearby.  "Justin!"

"Hey, you two."  Justin grinned widely as JC turned around.  "Long time no see!"

"Wow, man."  JC grabbed Justin's outstretched hand and pulled him into a genuine hug.  "So good to see you, seriously.  How are you?"

"Good, I'm good.  Can't complain."  Justin turned to Caroline when JC released him, eyeing her carefully.  "Well, shit.  I'd heard the rumors, but now I know it's true."

Caroline patted her protruding belly as Justin embraced her carefully.  "You got the invite, didn't you?"

"Yeah, yeah I did," he assured her.  "I really wanted to be there, but-"

"Teresa told us about the movie," JC interjected.  "I guess Russia is kinda far to fly back for one day."

"But for you guys, it would have been worth it."  Justin rested his hands on hips and looked back and forth between the two of them.  "Man. I just wanna remind you two that I called this, way back in the day."

Caroline and JC exchanged a glance.  "Sure you did," JC said.  Justin shook his head.

"I did. Now look at you guys...married and a baby on the way?  It's like a fairytale."  He leaned in conspiratorially.  "Be honest, was it a shotgun wedding?"

Caroline laughed.  "Almost.  We actually didn't find out about the baby until three weeks afterward, but by then I was already two months along."

Justin laughed loudly, and Caroline glanced around the deserted market.  There was a reason they chose to do their grocery shopping after midnight, and apparently Justin was part of that club as well. 

"That's classic.  Did your mom freak, C?"

JC nodded, grimacing.  "A little bit.  But she got over it pretty fast.  First grandkid, after all."

Justin glanced conspicuously into their cart.  "Don't tell me you're eating meat now?" he asked Caroline.

She nodded.  "Apparently veganism and being pregnant don't agree with each other," she said.

"Plus she craves the craziest things," JC added.  "Last Wednesday at like one am, girl decides she wants carne asada tacos.  I had to go out and find a taco truck in the middle of the night."

"It's a good thing you're back in LA, then," Justin noted.  "Not a lot of taco trucks in Orlando.  Where's the new place, anyway?"

"Marina del Ray," JC said.  "We looked at a few spots up in the hills, but this was closer to Caroline's parents.  And it's right on the beach."

"You should come over sometime," Caroline suggested.  "I'm still learning how to cook meat, though."

"I'll bring a pizza."  Justin grinned and glanced at his watch.  "It's getting late.  I'll let you guys get back to shopping, I really just came in to grab some milk.  But I'm glad I did."  He clapped JC on the shoulder.  "Let's get together soon, man.  I'm loving the new tunes, by the way."

"Thanks."  JC glanced at Caroline.  "I've got a lot of inspiration these days."

Caroline rolled her eyes at Justin.  "Don't we make you want to puke?"

Justin just smiled.  "Totally.  Bye, you two."

He grabbed a carton of milk and waved, heading for the front of the store.  JC turned to Caroline, feigning a hurt expression.

"I was trying to be sweet, honey."

"I get that, honey."  She patted his chest consolingly.  "You're plenty sweet, don't worry."

"I thought I was an asshole."

"You are, but I love you like that."  Caroline turned back to the yogurt.  "So is plain okay?"

"Whatever you want."  JC leaned in to kiss her cheek and smooth his hand over her rounded belly.  "I love you too much to argue."

"Okay, JC, now I am seriously going to puke."

 

 

The End


Completed
rebeccan is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 24 members. Members who liked Barely Breathing also liked 283 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc