Author's Chapter Notes:
Note: I'm going on holiday next week, so this will be the last update for a little while. Thanks for the reviews so far, and keep them coming! I love to hear what you guys think. :)

The next morning, for the first time in at least twenty years, Caroline slept through her alarm.

She woke up at 7:30, a full hour later than she had intended, with a start.  It took a second for her to realize where she was, and she glanced around the room, her heart in her throat.  Slowly, it began to settle in that she was in her own hotel room, alone.  She was still wearing  the blouse she'd worn to the concert the night before, her jeans lying on the floor in a crumpled heap.  She hadn't even taken her earrings out, and her unwashed face felt like it was covered in a sticky layer of grime.

Caroline stared at the clock for a full two minutes before the implications of the time set in.  She had a brunch to be ready for by 9, and before that, had a meeting planned with Rob and JC to discuss specifics on a few future press opportunities.  Caroline struggled to slip out of the sheets that were tangled around her legs, nearly tripping over her discarded shoes on the way into the bathroom.

Once in the shower, the hot water helped wake her up and refresh her memory of the night before.

 

"Okay, you're gonna need to stop that."

"What?"

Caroline cocked her head.  "That.  That tapping you're doing."

JC took his hand off of the table and crossed his arms over his chest with a sigh.  "Sorry."

Caroline shifted in the uncomfortably tall chair she sat in, hooking the heels of her shoes awkwardly over the bottom rung.  "Why are you so antsy?"

JC shrugged in response, his eyes on the stage.  A waitress appeared with their drink orders, and Caroline picked hers up in relief.  At dinner, she'd avoided the wine purposefully, but now it was clear that she needed something to take the edge off.  JC had been restless all evening, and it was starting to rub off onto her. She held the martini glass to her lips and took a long, slow sip, enjoying the burn of the gin on the way down her throat.

The band currently performing onstage was some pop country getup that Caroline had never heard of, and she was glad.  They weren't horrible, per se, they just weren't her taste at all.  The droning notes and high trill of the female singer's voice was starting to grate on her, and she was relieved when their set ended and Justin was back onstage.  He was serving as a sort of emcee-cum-celebrity host, jogging out to thank each act and offer a few words to the crazed audience.  Caroline had to admit that she was thankful for the venue's balcony VIP section - there was no way she wanted to be down in the throngs of people below.  The atmosphere up top was much more regal, and she'd had to work hard keep herself from gaping when Paul McCartney walked by to greet JC at one point.

Caroline pulled the olive out of her drink and popped in her mouth, trying to glance at her watch as discreetly as possible.  It wasn't discreet enough, however, because JC noticed.

"You want to leave?" he asked, gesturing towards her.  "Let's go."

"No."  Caroline folded her hands in her lap.  "It's not even half over."

Before JC could respond, Rob appeared.  He'd met them at the venue and had been running his publicist gambit all night.  Every so often, he would stop by their table to sit for a few moments and possibly bring by various reporters that had scored press passes to the event.  Caroline was beginning to see that JC was officially being pimped out by Rob, and it was no wonder that he wanted to leave.  She could only imagine how eager he was to get home to LA the following afternoon, where he could retreat to his life of monotony and safety in the studio.

"Great news," Rob announced, leaning on the table with a dangerous gleam in his eye.  "I've got People's entertainment editor coming over for a feature in five minutes."

JC actually groaned.  "Come on, man.  Are you gonna do this all night?"

"Yes," Rob replied plainly.  "This is big, JC.  And she promised to ask questions about your album."

"No," JC cut in, looking dead serious.  "I don't want that."

"JC-"

"No way in hell, Rob."  JC started to stand.  "Or I'm leaving."

Rob looked towards Caroline, panicked.  She held up her hands towards JC.

"JC, wait a second."  He sighed, but paused, one hand on his hip.  "Let's just...compromise."

"This is great exposure for your music," Rob pointed out desperately.  "You've done an incredible amount of promotion for ABDC, but this weekend is about you, what you're up to.  Fans want to know."

"Rob, you know as well as I do that there most likely isn't even going to be an album anymore," JC said.  "The last thing I want to do is talk about how it's not coming out any time soon."

"Compromise," Caroline interjected before Rob could reply.  "JC, you'll do the feature.  Rob, make sure they don't ask any questions about the album.  New writing and producing projects are free game."

Rob nodded tightly, his mouth set in a hard line.  JC sat back down.

"Here she comes," Rob said.  "Be nice."

Caroline started to get up to head towards the bar, as she'd done for the past five reporters that Rob had brought over to the table.  This time, JC held up his hand. 

"Stay, please." 

Caroline opened her mouth to question him, but the People writer was at their table before she could.

"Hi, I'm Jenna Lyman," she greeted, shaking JC's hand.  "Thanks for meeting with me."

"No problem."  JC motioned for her to sit down.  "Obviously you know Rob, and this is my assistant, Caroline."

"Hi."  Jenna nodded in Caroline's direction before pulling out a tape recorder.  "Do you mind?" she asked, and JC shook his head.

"Not in the slightest."  He took a sip of his drink as Jenna got out a pen.  Caroline traced a line in the condensation on her glass and glanced towards the stage below, where some no-name rapper had emerged to begin his set. 

She only half-listened as the reporter asked some perfunctory questions on what JC had been up to, including the TV show.  She asked about the album once, but Rob stepped in dutifully, if not dejectedly.

"JC won't be answering any questions about his personal music," he said.  "But he'd be glad to talk about the many high profile artists he's been in the studio with as of late."

Jenna obligingly asked a few questions about JC's producing talents, before moving onto a subject that Caroline hadn't heard breached before.

"So, the Backstreet Boys are rumored to have a new album coming out, along with a reunion tour," she said.  "Can we hope for the same from NSYNC?"

"No," JC answered quickly.

"Why not?" Jenna prodded, leaning across the table.  "Obviously you're in touch with Justin, being involved in this weekend with him.  Why can't we expect to see anything from you guys?"

JC shrugged.  "Because we're all doing our own thing now.  It's just not in the cards."

It was definitely an ambiguous answer, but the reporter pressed for more without pause.

"Not even one show?  For charity?"

"Nope."  JC leaned back in his chair, looking sufficiently frustrated.

"I spoke with Lance Bass in New York a few weeks ago," Jenna continued, "and he mentioned that he'd be all for a reunion album, that he'd love to get back in the studio with you guys."

"Well, good for him," JC said flatly.  "I'd have to disagree."

"Would you say you've fallen out with your former band mates, then?" Jenna asked, and Caroline had to admit that the woman had balls.  "Is it a personal thing?"

"No," JC ground out, his gaze beginning to harden visibly, even in the darkness of the club.  "It's a moot point.  It's not going to happen, ever."

"Even though it's what the fans want?"

"If we're not happy doing it, we're not going to do it," JC snapped.  "End of story.  Any more questions?"

Jenna flipped her notepad shut and picked up her tape recorder.  "No, that's all.  Thanks for your time."

JC grumbled something before slipping out of his chair and stalking off.  Rob made sure to thank Jenna graciously, doing his best damage control, while Caroline watched JC's form pass through the crowded room until she couldn't see him anymore.

"Shit," Rob breathed once the reporter had moved on.  "What the hell was that?  What is up with him?"

"Clearly it was a sore subject," Caroline said, finishing off the last of her drink.  "It was her fault for nagging at it."

Rob frowned at her.  "How do you know it's a sore spot?  Did he talk to you about it?"

"No, it's just...obvious.  The way he reacted, it's not something he wants to talk about."

Rob shook his head.  "Maybe you should be in charge of getting him interviews from now on.  How am I supposed to work with someone who doesn't want to work with me?"

"It's not exactly an easy time right now," Caroline said.  "You can't push him too hard, Rob.  If he wants to talk about ABDC, then that's what his interviews will be about.  If he doesn't want to talk about his album or NSYNC, then don't push it."

"What are you, his emotional bodyguard?"  Now sufficiently grumpy, Rob picked up JC's drink, draining what was left of the alcohol before disappearing.  Caroline was left alone at the table, and she stared unseeing at the rapper onstage as she weighed her options.  Either she could stay inside and get a cab back to the hotel later when JC inevitably hijacked the car service, or she could try to track him down now.

Neither option sounded ideal to Caroline, but she followed her gut and picked up her purse.

Thankfully, she didn't have to go far.  JC was standing in a deserted hallway next to the coat check, and she'd nearly passed right by him on her way towards the door.

"Hey."  She stepped into the dim hallway, and JC glanced up at her, slipping his phone back in his pocket.

"If you're going to try and plead Rob's case, don't even bother," he said, crossing his arms.  "I'm serious."

"I know."  Caroline leaned against the opposite wall.  "I don't work for Rob, so his case is essentially meaningless to me."

JC relaxed slightly, putting his hands in his pockets.  "Well.  Good."

"Why'd you freak out?" Caroline asked, throwing caution to the wind.

"I didn't freak out," JC said.  "She was a bitch."

Caroline didn't disagree, but she didn't say so out loud.  "Since when is the NSYNC thing so unapproachable?"

"Since everyone seems to think it's necessary that we do it," JC replied.  "I don't want to do it."

"But you just told me a couple weeks ago that you thought the band had at least two more albums worth of potential," Caroline pointed out.  "So why can't you pick up where you left off?"

JC didn't answer for a few minutes and Caroline leaned in.  "JC?"

"Because I don't want to be the asshole that crawls on my hands and knees, begging Justin to take me back," he said finally, his voice surprisingly soft.  "If Lance wants to play that card...fine.  But I don't.  Maybe I'm too prideful, but...that's not something I want to do, ever."

Caroline could understand that.  "Alright."

JC stared at her.  "That's it?  Alright?"

She shrugged.  "Yeah.  Why should you put out the idea that you need NSYNC to be successful?  It's not true."

JC continued to stare at her for so long that Caroline started to feel uncomfortable.  Her palms were suddenly damp, and she wiped them on her jeans nervously.  "What?"

"Just..." JC shook his head as he finally looked away, staring down the hallway.  "Nothing, nevermind."

"No, what?"  Knowing full well that she was on the precipice of crossing into dangerous territory, Caroline took a step towards JC in the tight space. He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, his lips pursed.

"You just...you get me sometimes," he admitted, and Caroline had an odd moment where she felt like time stopped.  "I guess that's a good thing."

Caroline nodded slowly, afraid to breathe.  "In a...professional sense."

JC nodded, too.  "Of course."

Another few seconds of silence passed, then JC's phone rang, and Caroline practically jumped away, her back hitting the wall behind her.  JC pulled his phone out and answered it, and Caroline took the opportunity step out of the hallway and take a deep breath before she got their coats.

JC met her at the coat desk and obligingly stuffed a few bills in the tip jar before turning to her. 

"Ready?  The car's outside."

Caroline nodded and moved to hand JC his leather jacket.  He took her wool pea coat out of her arms instead, and motioned for her to turn around.  Caroline did so, slowly, and allowed him to help her into her jacket.  Though his hands never actually made contact with her, it was an unmistakably intimate gesture, not unlike the way he had touched her hair earlier in the day.

"Thanks," was all she could muster up, and it was barely audible.  Hoping the coat attendant couldn't see the blush on her face, she headed for the door without looking back.

 

Caroline shut the shower off as the water began to run cold, and stepped out into the steamy bathroom, groping for a towel.  She wiped away the fog on the mirror and stared at herself as she wrapped the towel around her body.  Her mind was racing with thoughts of last night - all she remembered about the trip back to the hotel was JC sitting silent in the backseat next to her, his hands in his lap as he stared out the window. 

Their interaction at the club had made her feel so out of sorts that Caroline had only taken time to shed her pants before climbing into bed and pulling the covers over her face.  She had hoped that, if she went to sleep quickly enough, maybe she could forget the entire night.

Clearly, her plan hadn't worked, Caroline thought as she worked a comb through her hair. 

She wasn't even close to being ready when someone began banging on the door of her suite.

"Oh, perfect," Rob lamented when she opened the door, still wearing the hotel-issue bathrobe.  "We've only been waiting on you for fifteen minutes, and you're not even dressed."

Caroline swallowed and spotted JC standing behind Rob in the hallway, his hands in his pockets. 

"Sorry, I...overslept," she admitted, tightening the belt on her robe self-consciously.  "Give me five minutes."

Rob glanced at his watch, his face set in a perma-frown.  Apparently, he was still cranky about the night before.

"You know the brunch is at nine, right?"  At Caroline's nod, Rob sighed heavily and turned on his heel, heading back into JC's open door.  "Just hurry up!" he barked over his shoulder, leaving Caroline and JC alone in the hallway.

"I'm sorry, JC," Caroline offered, leaning against the doorframe.  He just shrugged.

"It happens.  Take your time, I'll deal with Rob." 

He turned back towards his own door, but not before his eyes scanned over Caroline's body quickly.  It was barely noticeable, but enough to send a flood of color to her cheeks.  She closed her room door with a click and let out the breath she'd been holding.

Caroline got dressed in record time and made it next door before Rob burst a blood vessel.  It was easy to forget about her discomfort as they talked about business, thankfully - especially as she found herself playing a mediator between Rob and JC.  Rob was clearly still ticked at JC for his performance from the night before, and JC had adopted the most difficult attitude possible for whatever reason.  Caroline felt like a mom as she struggled to help the two reach compromise on various upcoming events.

Rob calmed down some by the time they got to the brunch, only ten minutes late.  The spread was impressive, set up in a four-star restaurant off the strip.  The atmosphere was elegant and understated, opposing the chaos and grandeur of the concert the night before.  JC, Caroline, and Rob sat at a large round table with a couple of Rob's other clients, an actress from one of the hot, new teenage TV dramas, and an up and coming male R&B singer.  Along with other managers and assistants, it was a full table, but Caroline enjoyed the chance to relax a bit, content just to listen to the various snippets of conversation taking place around the table.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much that she could eat besides a plain bagel and some fruit.  JC tried unsuccessfully to sneak a piece of bacon onto her plate, frowning when she removed it.

"You don't know what you're missing," he said.  "Bacon is literally the best taste you could ever possibly have in your mouth."

"So I hear.  Brandon loves bacon.  In fact, he..." Caroline trailed off as a cold feeling twisted around her gut.  "Oh, shit."

"What?" JC mumbled around his mouth full of eggs.  Caroline took her napkin out of her lap and fumbled for her Blackberry in her purse.  She'd had it on silent since the night before, and her worst fears came true when she saw how many missed calls she had.  Most were work-related, from Kevin and such, but three of them were from Brandon.  Caroline swallowed hard as she pushed her chair back from the table.

"Where are you going?" JC asked. 

"I haven't...I forgot to call Brandon yesterday."  Caroline felt sick to her stomach - she hadn't just forgotten to call him, she'd forgotten about him completely.  "I've got to...I'll be right back."

Caroline found a quiet spot in the front lobby of the restaurant, taking a seat on a plush loveseat as she dialed Brandon with shaking hands.  He answered on the fourth ring, and Caroline paused a moment as she wondered whether to play it cool or be apologetic.

"Hello?" Brandon repeated, and Caroline closed her eyes in embarrassment.

"Hey, it's me."

Brandon hesitated only a moment, but it was enough to let Caroline know that she'd screwed up, badly.

"Oh.  Hi."

She sighed.  "Baby, I'm so sorry.  I was swamped yesterday, and I just..."

"Forgot," Brandon finished.  "It's okay, whatever."

Clearly, he didn't think it was okay at all.  "Brandon, I really am sorry."

"Yeah."

"So, um..."  Caroline fisted her hand in the material of her dress and squeezed.  "How are you?"

"Fine," he replied.  "Tired."

Caroline knew she should know why, but she couldn't find the answer in her brain.  "What'd you do last night?"

Brandon sighed softly.  "We had the show, in Irvine."

"Oh, oh right."  Caroline winced.  "How'd it go?"

"Not great.  We had to find a replacement drummer at the last minute; Jake's daughter was sick."

"Oh, no.  Who did you get?"

Caroline listened to Brandon talk about the show for a little bit longer, praying that he would soften as they spoke, but his voice remained as controlled as ever.  She knew that she was in for quite a task when she got home that afternoon.  Brandon wasn't the type to get into it over the phone, and it was obvious that he was holding back to let her have it in person.  He wasn't happy - that much was crystal clear.

After hanging up, Caroline stayed on the couch for a few moments, tipping her head back to stare at the ceiling, feeling melancholy.  Little pinpricks of guilt poked at her uncomfortably, no matter how hard she tried to ignore them.  She hadn't done anything essentially wrong, but...that didn't change how bad she felt inside.

The loveseat sunk in slightly as someone joined her on the next cushion.  Caroline glanced over out of one eye to see Justin smiling at her.

"What's up?" he asked, extending his arm along the back of the couch.  "Hung over?"

"No."  Caroline turned her phone over and over in her hands.  "Just...ready to go home."

"Didn't you have fun this weekend?" Justin asked, and Caroline thought it over.  Despite certain...moments, she'd enjoyed herself overall.  Even that felt bad to admit to.

"Yeah, I did.  This was a great idea, Justin.  Really well-executed.  Thanks again for thinking of JC."

Justin cocked his head.  "Oh, now you're shifting into business mode.  Sorry, I don't want to talk to JC's assistant, I want to talk to Caroline."

"It was fun," she insisted with a shrug.  "I think JC had a good time, too."

Justin just shook his head.  "You're being diplomatic again.  I know JC didn't have a good time."

"What do you mean?"

"Caroline, come on.  I'm not an idiot."  Justin smiled again, but it wasn't his usual cocky grin.  "I know JC.  This kind of thing isn't his scene at all.  He came because you and Rob essentially forced him to."

Caroline thought about disagreeing, but figured there was no point.  "Yeah, well.  It's good for him to get out of his house every once in awhile, whether he actually wants to or not."

Justin shifted in his seat, turning towards her.  His body language had changed and he looked more serious than Caroline had ever seen him.  "Is he doing okay?  I mean...I heard what happened with Jive."

If Justin knew, that could only mean too many people had already found out.  Caroline made a mental note to start recompensing for that when she got back to the office - JC would need to make a statement or two to keep the rumors from flaring up any further. 

"He'll be okay," Caroline said carefully.  "He has a lot going on, what with the TV show and the other artists he's been working with.  He's busy."

Justin nodded slightly, and Caroline could see real concern in his eyes.  "I just, uh...we're not as close as we used to be, you know?  But I look up to him.  I have, ever since I was thirteen.  He was always older and cooler and...so talented."  Justin leaned back against the couch and stared off into the distance.  "I mean, have you seen the man dance?  He's got the moves."

Caroline laughed.  "I'll have to check that out some time."

"He's...he's a great guy," Justin admitted.  "One of the most dedicated people I've ever met in my life.  I've always wanted his respect more than anything else."

"He respects you," Caroline assured him.  "It's just...a transitioning time for him."

"You're a people pleaser, aren't you?" Justin laughed, but patted her shoulder affectionately.  "Thanks, Caroline."

"What's going on?"  JC's voice broke into their conversation, and Caroline glanced up to see him striding into the lobby.  "Justin, Teresa's looking for you."

Justin stood up, but not before pulling JC into a quick hug.  "Thanks for being here this weekend, man.  It means a lot to me."

JC just nodded stiffly.  "Yeah, no problem."

"You guys have a great flight, I'll see you back in LA."  Justin winked at Caroline before heading back into the main dining room.  JC sat down on the arm of the couch.

"You in trouble?"

Caroline slipped her phone back into her purse.  "No.  We need to be at the airport in an hour."

"Yep.  Let's finish eating first."  He stood again, but turned back to look at her.  "You sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine."  Caroline stood up and mentally composed herself, smoothing the palms of her hands over her dress.  Sure, she had a shitstorm waiting at home, but it wasn't anything she couldn't manage. 

Hopefully. 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: assistant jc