Whitney walked over to the line forming in front of the open door to the jet way--JC following her--and tried not to freak out.  JC Chasez: her teenage idol was standing right behind her!  And not only that, he had shown up like a mythical White Knight with his shiny credit card a few moments ago and had purchased her plane ticket to L.A.  Add to that the easy conversation, smiles, and teasing they had shared while walking through the airport, and over coffee, and Whitney was extremely proud of the way she had been able to keep her reaction to the popstar in check.  Aside from her angry display back at the ticket counter, she had been the picture of cool, calm, and collected to anyone looking at her. 

Inside, however, it was a completely different story. 

Inside, she was a giggling, squealing, teenager who wanted to jump around and scream about what was going on.  It was like one of those cheesy, romantic, Christmas movies that had been on constant repeat on her TV ever since Thanksgiving.  Forget about the fact that her brother was currently in a coma in California, and the fact that she knew this wasn't a cheesy, romantic, Christmas movie.  She knew the ending to this story wasn't going to be like all those holiday love stories, but it still made her smile.  Her heart fluttered nervous and excitedly in her chest, and the fear over her brother's current medical condition was forgotten for a few moments.

She had been surprised that JC's presence hadn't caused a bigger stir at the airport, but everyone around them was too preoccupied trying to get to get out of town to notice a celebrity in their midst--though she didn't know how that was possible.  No matter her circumstance, she was certain she would notice and recognize the man whose face had graced her walls during high school and whose voice still had the power to lift her spirits when she was feeling down. 

The line of passengers jostled around her as the gate agent called for any first class passengers and JC nudged her from behind. 

"That's us." He reminded her speaking by her ear--his warm breath on her skin making her shiver.  Whitney attempted to cover it up by adjusting the strap of her duffle bag on her shoulder and followed after him as he walked toward the open door to the jet way. 

She handed over her boarding pass to the gate agent then entered the jet way after JC--her eyes moving over him from behind.  She had noticed the hint of grey at his temples and the lines around his eyes as they had been sitting and talking a moment ago.  It was obvious he was no longer a kid, but then again neither was she.  Age was treating him well, however.  He was getting better looking every year that passed and the grey in his hair made him look dignified and spoke of the incredible experiences he had had and the accomplishments he had achieved at such a young age. 

The stewardess greeted them as they reached the door of the plane.  Whitney smiled at the older woman and she and JC moved into the interior of the 757.  After stowing her duffle and coat in one of the overhead bins, Whitney looked at JC--who was already sitting.

"Do you want me to put those up here?" She asked, pointing at his coat and carry--on and forcing herself not to stare at the way his dark blue, long-sleeved sweater clung to his chest and arms.

"Thanks." He said, giving her a smile as he handed her his coat.  Whitney took it from him--forcing herself not to bury her nose in the material and inhale his scent--and stowed it with hers.  Tucking her hair behind her ears she sat down in the seat next to him and looked around at the first class cabin. 

She wasn't much of a flyer.  She had grown up in Vermont and, aside from her senior year trip to Miami for Spring Break, New York City was the farthest from home she'd ever been.  If this is how the other half lives, she thought looking around the cabin around her.  I could definitely get used to this.  A flight attendant appeared, asking if they wanted a pre-flight beverage.  Whitney asked for bottled water-a request JC echoed-as the other passengers began boarding.  She watched them all file past, empathizing the smaller, cramped accommodations they were going to have to endure on their cross-country flight.  

"So, Whitney." JC said, his voice drawing her attention back to him.  "Tell me what you do."

"Well, I uh...I work part-time for a catering company that does mainly corporate events and I'm in my first year of culinary school."

JC made a noise of interest, his eyebrows rising beneath the brim of the baseball cap he was still wearing.  "Are you specializing in a certain cuisine?" He asked, pushing up the sleeves of his sweater then leaning on the arm rest toward her.  His blue eyes held hers steadily and Whitney had to force herself to answer him.  All she wanted to do was just sit there and get lost in his eyes...but she couldn't.

"Not yet." She replied with a smile.  "Still just learning the basics."

"What's your favorite thing to make?" He asked.

"Uhm..." She thought for a moment then her smile widened as she answered.  "My grandma's home-made chicken pot pie."

Again he made a noise of interest, his expression showing his complete attention to her.  It was a little unnerving.  Who was she, that he was so interested in her?  She was nobody--a quiet girl from Vermont, going to school, living in a small apartment with a roommate, with dreams of one day having her own restaurant.  The flight attendant reappeared with their bottles of water.  Twisting off the top and taking a swallow, Whitney asked him, "Do you cook?"

JC chuckled.  "From a box." He replied.  "Just add water?" He asked.  "I'm your guy."

Whitney laughed.  "I thought I read somewhere that Food Network was your favorite channel." She said.

"You can't believe everything you read." He replied as he took a drink from his own bottle of water.

"So, that's not true?" She asked.

"I watch it occasionally." He admitted.  "But I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite." He continued.

"Okay." Whitney nodded with a smile.

"What made you decide to do culinary school?" He asked.

"My grandmother." She answered quickly.

"The one with the chicken pot pie recipe?" He questioned.

Whitney nodded.  "She was the one that taught me to love food and cooking, and it's always been my dream to open up my own little place back home."

"And where's that?" JC asked.

"Home?" She clarified.  He nodded.  "Vermont." She told him.

"Is the rest of your family flying to California from there?" He asked.

Whitney shook her head.  "It's just me and Jared now." She replied.

JC winced.  "Man, I keep hitting homeruns today." He said with an embarrassed chuckle.  "Let's see how many more painful topics I can bring up today." He muttered.  "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Whitney assured him, reaching out to put a hand on his arm.  "My parents both died in a car accident about five years ago.  Jared was eighteen and it..." she sighed.  "It was rough.  Jared took off for California right after that and I--"

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking." A voice came over the speakers in the plane, interrupting Whitney.  The plane began moving away from the gate as the Captain continued.  "We apologize for the delays you've been experiencing today but we've just been cleared for departure.  We should have a smooth flight and our estimated time of arrival in Los Angeles is three-fifteen, Pacific Time."

Whitney groaned softly and JC reached over, his hand taking hers.  "We'll be there before you know it." He said.  She looked down at where his hand was covering hers then up into his eyes.  He gave her a smile of reassurance, his fingers squeezing hers.  Whitney felt her lips turn up in a smile.  The flight attendants went through their routine, pre-flight safety information and Whitney tried not to think about the fact that her seat cushion could be used as a flotation devise in case of a water landing.  Flying had always made her nervous, the few times she'd been on a plane, and this was the longest flight she'd ever been on.  JC had let go of her hand as the plane moved out onto the runway and she gripped the armrests of her seat--her knuckles turning white as the plane increased its speed, finally lifting in take-off.  Whitney felt JC's hand cover hers again and she looked over at him.  He was watching her closely and she tried to force a smile. 

"Tell me about Vermont." He said.  "I heard there's some good skiing up there."  

JC kept her talking and laughing for the next hour, successfully keeping her mind off her flight anxiety.  It was like they had been friends for years, instead of having just met an hour ago.  The conversation was so easy between them that she soon forgot about who he was and her inner teenager grew used to the fact that he was really there and really talking to her.  After they were served lunch, however--a luxury Whitney hadn't know was still offered on flights--the lack of sleep from the night before finally caught up with her.  Unable to fight it any longer, she leaned her head back against her seat and closed her eyes. 

~~~~~~~

JC looked over as Whitney became quiet.  His lips turned up in a small smile at the sight of her asleep.  One of the flight attendants walked by and he stopped the woman, asking for a blanket for his sleeping traveling companion.  When the flight attendant returned with the blanket he unfolded it.  Putting it over Whitney, JC reached across her to the button on the armrest that would recline her chair.  Before he could put the chair back, however, she shifted in her sleep--her head coming to rest on his shoulder.  He looked down at her in surprise, a warm feeling spreading through him.  The flight attendant walked back through the cabin, stopping to ask if he needed anything else.  He looked down once more at the woman asleep on his arm and smiled. 

"Nope." He said with a shake of his head as he looked back up at the airline employee.  "I don't need anything else right now, thanks."

Reaching down for his messenger bag, and trying not to wake up Whitney, he pulled out the book he'd bought for his flight yesterday and settled back in his seat. 

~~~~~~~

Whitney woke with a start a few hours later as the plane suddenly hit some turbulence.  She gasped as she sat up, her hands reaching out to grasp the arm rests of her seat.  She heard a quiet chuckle beside her and turned to look at JC--her breath catching for a quite a different reason as she took in his slightly changed appearance.  His blue eyes looked at her from behind a pair of wire-rimmed glasses and Whitney suddenly forgot all about the plane's jostling from a second ago that had woken her up. 

Until the 757 shook again--causing her stomach to drop.  She closed her eyes and concentrated on taking several slow, deep breaths.

"Relax." JC said, his voice low as he leaned toward her. 

"Easy for you to say." She said as she opened her eyes and looked at him again.  "Some of us aren't as used to traveling as you are."  That adorable grin of his lit his face and she was certain she'd never seen anyone more attractive than he was at that moment.  It should be illegal to look that delicious. She thought.

"Did you have a good nap?" He asked.  She nodded, unable to find her voice as he continued to sit there looking at her intently.  "Good." He said.  He closed the paperback in his hands that, until that moment had gone unnoticed by her, and put it back into his bag at his feet.  Whitney felt a pang of disappointment as he then took off his glasses, putting them back into the bag as well. 

"I'm sorry." She said, finally finding her voice.  It cracked and she cleared her throat embarrassed.  She ran her hands over her face and combed her fingers through her hair, hoping she didn't look too much like a mess.

"For what?" He asked, pushing the sleeves of his sweater further up his arms.

"For falling asleep on you." She replied.  "You should have just pushed me over.  I'd have been fine sleeping on the floor."

JC laughed and Whitney couldn't help smiling in reply.  He had a great laugh.  "I didn't mind." He assured her.

Whitney felt her cheeks warm slightly at the way he was looking at her.  "Is...is your book good?" She asked trying to steer the conversation away from her. 

"It's okay." He replied with a shrug.  He leaned back in his chair and stretched his legs out in front of him.  "Not the best I've ever read, but certainly not the worst either."

"Do you know what time it is?" She asked feeling a little lost after her nap.  She watched as he looked at the thick, leather-banded watch wrapped around his left wrist. 

"Five." He answered.  "New York time."  He adjusted the time on his watch.  "We should be there in about another hour."

Right on schedule, the plane landed, taxied to the gate, and the seatbelt light was turned off.  Whitney and JC both stood and stretched.  After grabbing their bags and coats, he followed her off the plane--returning the flight crew's wishes for a Merry Christmas.  When they walked out of the jet way and into the terminal, JC stepped up beside her as they walked down the concourse. 

"Do you need a ride to the hospital?" He asked as they made their way toward the baggage claim area and exit. 

"I was just going to get a cab." She replied tucking some hair behind her ear.

"We could share one." He suggested.

Whitney paused, hesitant to dash the hopeful look in his blue eyes.  "I...I don't know if that would be a good idea." She finally told him.  His face fell and he turned away from her.  She reached out, placing her hand on his arm.  "I don't want to cause any problems for you." She said.

He turned to look at her, his eyes curious.  "Problems?" He questioned.

She slowed as they approached the baggage area.  "With the media." She explained.  "It probably wouldn't look very good for you to return to L.A. with some random girl from New York and then get in a taxi with her and drive to the hospital?  Not very good press for you." She explained.

JC laughed.  "You think I care what the media thinks?" He asked.  He shook his head as he stopped to look at her.  "It's been a long time since I've had to worry about stuff like that.  Nobody cares what I do anymore." He said.  She opened her mouth to disagree with him but he continued.  "But, if it will make you feel better we can say good-bye here." He smiled.

She didn't want to say good-bye.  But she didn't have a choice.  This brief voyage into the fantasy world where JC Chasez knew who she was and wanted to spend time with her had been incredible, but he was home now and she had to get to the hospital.  This was where they had to part ways.

"Can I..." he paused.  "Can I have your number?" He asked.

"You want my number?" Whitney asked incredulously-caught off guard by his question.  The words came out before she could stop them. 

"Yeah." He grinned.  "There's still the matter of your...repayment for your ticket." He teased.

Whitney groaned.  "You're never going to let that go, are you?" She asked.

"You shouldn't have put the offer out there if you weren't serious." He replied keeping a straight face, though his eyes sparkled teasingly.

"Lesson learned." She conceded with a laugh.  "I'll be careful of what I say from now on.  I promise."

He chuckled as he reached into his bag and pulled out his phone.  "So, can I have it?" He asked, giving her a hopeful and questioning look.  Whitney looked at him for a moment then nodded.  She gave him her number--which he quickly entered into his phone.  "Do you want mine?" He asked.

Again she was caught off guard.  "Sure." She replied--surprised that he was offering.  "You're okay giving out your number?" She asked as he gave it to her and she added it to her contacts list. 

"To the general public, no." He answered.  "But to you, yes."

Whitney smiled.  "I promise I will keep it safe."

They stood looking at each other for a moment until he finally cleared his throat, breaking the awkward tension.  "Well, I...I better get going." He said.

"Thank you." Whitney replied as she surprised them both by reaching out and putting her arms around his neck.  She felt JC's arms go around her as he returned the hug and she closed her eyes, trying to memorize this moment.  "The words don't mean very much, I know." She conceded as she pulled back to look up into his eyes.  "But I am truly grateful for what you did for me and I won't ever forget it.  If there is ever some way that I can return the favor, you have my number."

He nodded, his arms still around her.  "I hope your brother is okay." He told her.  "Will you let me know what happens?" He asked. 

"Sure." She replied with a small nod.  Finally he stepped back from her, his arms slipping away from her and she fought the urge to grab on to him and never let him go.  Instead, she grabbed onto the shoulder strap of her duffle bag with both hands and watched as he turned and began walking away from her.  A voice in her head yelling at her for not taking him up on his offer to share a cab.  She'd let an opportunity pass her by and now she would always be wondering, "what if."  She had half a mind to go after him and see if the offer still stood, but realized she was too late when he walked outside and disappeared from her view.  With a sigh she began walking toward the exit, trying to forget about the last seven hours.  Jared was her focus now.  The fact that she had met, talked, laughed, sat next to, and exchanged numbers with her teen idol was pushed to the back of her mind as she walked outside and flagged a taxi.  Her brother was lying in the hospital in a coma.  It didn't matter that a world famous celebrity had rescued her this morning.  And besides, she thought as she got into the cab and gave the driver the address of where she needed to go.  Who would believe me anyway?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"And in national news, the East Coast has been hit once again with even more snow and icy winter weather.  Anxious travelers at New York's JFK airport thought they were finally getting a break yesterday when a few flights were given clearance for take-off but the snow was soon back with a vengeance.  We talked to one family that has been stuck in New York now for the last three days trying to get home..."

"How did you get a flight out yesterday when all those people who have been there the last couple days are all still waiting?"

Whitney turned from watching the television in his hospital room to look at her brother.  She smiled.  "A Christmas miracle." She replied, thinking about the man who had shown up yesterday and saved her. 

"A Christmas miracle?" Jared asked, skeptically.  "No really.  How'd you do it?"

"I met someone." She answered cryptically.  "Who helped me get a ticket out on one of those few planes that were given clearance.

"Someone?" Jared badgered.  She nodded.  "Who?"

"JC Chasez."

"JC Chasez?"

Whitney nodded at her brother's incredulous look.  She laughed and told him the whole story.    

Jared was quiet for a beat after she finished then asked, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Excuse me?" Whitney asked with a confused chuckle at his question. 

Jared gave her a look like he was speaking to a stubborn child.  "JC Chasez--a world famous celebrity and musician rescued you yesterday morning, bought you a plane ticket from New York to L.A., gave you his number, and you're sitting here in the hospital with me right now?  What is wrong with you?"

Whitney sputtered for a moment.  "I...you...you were in a coma!" She exclaimed.  When she had arrived at the hospital last night she had been greeted with the news that Jared had finally woken up a few moments earlier.  She had sunk down into the nearest chair in the waiting room in relief.  The doctor had filled her in on his injuries--none of them life-threatening--and let her know that he was sleeping, courtesy of the pain medication they had him on.  They wanted to keep him a few days to monitor him because he had been unconscious for so long, but the doctor said he should be okay.  

"I'm fine." Jared insisted, cutting into her thoughts. 

"You're not fine, Jared." She replied, looking over at him from the chair by his bed that she was sitting in.  "Have you looked in a mirror lately?  You are anything but fine.  And how do you know who JC is?" She asked, surprised that her brother's knowledge of the guy.

"I'm a musician, Whit." Jared reminded her.  "And he's an amazing producer and song writer."

"Right." Whitney nodded, remembering why her brother had left their small hometown five years ago.  He was going to "make it big" out here in the land of opportunity.  Like so many others, Jared had moved to the West Coast in search of his dreams, but had yet to be discovered. 

"What the hell are you doing here, Whit?" He asked again.

"Making sure you're okay." She answered, put off that he wasn't more thankful she was there.  Didn't he realize what it had cost her to leave so suddenly yesterday?  To give up all the extra over-time she was going to get this week with all the holiday parties?  She counted on those parties to help supplement her part-time income while she was in school but he didn't care.  He was out here in California living the life, without a care in the world.

"You're an idiot." He stated with a roll of his eyes.

"Not exactly the words I was expecting to hear after having flown across the country to see you." She spat back.  "You're the idiot." She continued, her temper flaring.  "You're the one who was stupid enough to get on a motorcycle--drunk--at two am to go for a joy ride!  Do you not remember how Mom and Dad died?!"

"Of course I do." He replied, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her. 

"How could you do this?" She asked suddenly standing--unable to sit still any longer.  "How could you be so stupid as to get on your bike when you're drunk?  Do you want to die?  Do you have any idea what it would have done to me if you hadn't woken up?"

"I'm fine, Whit." He assured her. 

"Sure you are." She stated dryly.  "A broken leg, three cracked ribs, a nasty case of road rash up your whole left side, and a concussion!  You're fine, Jared." She said, her voice cracking as she listed his injuries.  She folded her arms across her chest--her jaw clenched as she tried to breathe evenly.  She didn't want to cry.  The stress, fear, and anxiety that had filled her and kept the adrenaline pumping through her system were now gone leaving her physically and emotionally exhausted. 

"Hey," he said, reaching out a hand to her--his tone softening.  She looked at it for a moment then placed her hand in his.  He gave it a squeeze.  "I'm fine." He repeated.  "Look at me." He requested as he gave her hand a tug.  She met his gaze.  "I'm fine.  Why don't you go back to my place and get some sleep?"

Whitney sighed as she looked at him.  "Jared, I--"

She was cut off as a quiet knock came at the door to the room.  Whitney looked at her brother in question.  He shrugged and she looked up at the door.

"Well, are you going to go answer it?" Jared asked.  He released her hand and she walked around the bed and over to the door.  "I can't exactly get up, or I'd do it myself." He chuckled, trying to make her laugh. 

Whitney rolled her eyes .  "Not funny, Jare." She said as she opened the door.  She gasped when she was met with a familiar face on the other side.  "JC!" She exclaimed.  "W-wha-what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay." He answered her, his blue eyes delving into hers.  Whitney felt that same tingly feeling that had filled her the entire way from New York to L.A. yesterday as he stood there in the doorway.  He looked incredible and she couldn't take her eyes off him. 

"How did you know where I was?" She asked, finally finding her voice. 

"It took some time." He admitted with a shrug.  "But there aren't that many hospitals in town.  It was just a process of elimination."

"Who is it?" Jared called from the bed. 

Whitney looked over her shoulder, suddenly remembering where they were, then looked back at JC.  "Do you want to come in?  To meet my brother?" She asked, stepping back and opening the door wider.

He looked at her for a moment longer then nodded.  "Sure."

~~~~~~~

JC stepped into the hospital room, trying to ignore the sterile smell and feel of the room.  He'd never been a fan of hospitals--he tried to avoid them at all costs--but he hadn't been able to stop thinking about Whitney since saying good-bye to her at the airport yesterday.  He needed to make sure she was okay.  He had thought about calling her or sending a text message but those weren't the same as seeing with his own eyes that everything was alright. 

When she had opened the door to the room the receptionist downstairs had given him his heart had done a funny little flip in his chest.  She had been surprised, but her eyes had lit up when she'd seen him and he felt almost giddy at the sensation that provoked inside.  He scoffed at himself.  He was acting like a damn teenager, but he couldn't help it.  He liked this girl.  He didn't know why, but he liked her and he wanted to spend more time with her--to get to know her, to hopefully figure out what it was about her that so intrigued him.  He was no stranger to beautiful women, he met them every day in his line of work, but Whitney had a different kind of beauty that surrounded her.  A quiet grace that captivated him and made him want to be in her presence.   

Whitney introduced him to her brother-a young man who had an obvious family resemblance to her underneath the cuts, bruises, and bandages covering him.  "I'm glad you're okay." JC said after greeting the younger man.  "Your sister was really worried about you yesterday." He continued, his eyes sliding over to the woman across the bed from him.  He gave her a smile. 

"Whit's always worried about me." Jared replied.  "Ever since we were kids, she's been worrying about me."

"With good reason." Whitney interjected with a chuckle.  "Look where you are right now!" 

 Jared gave his sister a grin then turned back to look at JC.  "I know she's probably already thanked you, but I wanted to say it as well.  Thanks for helping her get here and making sure she was okay yesterday."

"My pleasure." JC said, his eyes again meeting Whitney's.  She smiled at him and he felt that same warm feeling spread through him that he had felt while being in her company yesterday.  "Well," he said, breaking eye contact with Whitney and stepping away from her brother's hospital bed.  "I'm glad you're okay." He said again.  "And I'll just...go. I don't want to take up any more of your time.  I just wanted to make sure you were both okay." He continued as he took a few steps toward the door.  He glanced over at Whitney.  "If you need anything, you have my number." He said, pausing.  She nodded.  He stood there for a moment, not wanting to leave, but feeling awkward about staying any longer.  When nothing else came to mind to say, he turned on his heels and left the room. 

~~~~~~~

Whitney stood, staring at the door through which JC had just left.  Stunned and speechless.  It had all happened so quickly she was tempted to believe it hadn't happened at all.  He had appeared and disappeared in what seemed like a brief second.  "Did you...?" She began, turning to look at Jared to ask him if that had really just happened. 

Jared gave her a questioning look.

 "I..." she paused.  Then, feeling a sudden sense of urgency she walked quickly over to the door.  "I'll be right back." She said over her shoulder as she wrenched open the door, intent on following him out into the hallway. 

She pulled up short, however-a gasp escaping--as she came face to face with JC.  His hand was raised, his fingers curled into a fist.  One dark brow was raised as he looked at her in surprise, clearly not expecting her to open the door before he had had the chance to knock.  "I, uhm..." he began as he slowly lowered his arm.  "I was coming back to see if--"

"Do you...do you want to go to dinner?" Whitney asked cutting him off before she lost her nerve.  JC gave her another startled look, his lips slowly lifting into a smile.  Looking over her shoulder, she stepped out into the hallway, closing the door to Jared's room behind her.  She looked down at the floor then, tucked some hair behind her ear as she looked up him.  "Is that too forward?" She asked with a nervous chuckle as he just continued to stand there quietly.  "I know we only met yesterday and we don't really know each other.  I'm sorry if it was, I just--"

"That's....actually what I was coming back to ask you." He said.  "I..." he shoved his hands into his pockets.  "I don't like the thought of you being stuck here in the hospital on Christmas." He said and Whitney smiled, her heart beginning to flutter in her chest.  "I, uhm...it's kind of a tradition-in my family--to have Chinese on Christmas." He chuckled.  "I know it sounds stupid but," he shrugged.  "It's tradition and I...well everyone is gone this year, I'm all alone and...it sucks.  Do you...do you want to go get some Chinese with me?" He asked, giving her a questioning look.  "I mean, if nothing else it's a free meal and it's gotta be better than eating here at the cafeteria." 

"I'd love--"

"O...M...G..."

Whitney and JC both turned as a feminine squeal echoed down the hallway of the hospital.  A young woman with obviously bottled blonde hair approached them-a star-struck look in her eyes.  "You're JC Chasez!" She squealed again as she came to stand in front of them.  She reached into the huge, purple bag on her shoulder-digging around for a second then pulling out a cell phone.  "I have to tweet about this." She said as she began furiously typing out a message on her phone.  Whitney looked over at JC.  His blue eyes met hers, an amused expression on his face, and she had to bite back a laugh that wanted to escape.  "Nobody is going to believe this!" She said, shaking her head as she finished typing up her status update and then slipped the phone back into her behemoth bag.  She looked up at JC, a huge smile on her face.  "I am," she placed a hand on her chest as she gazed at him adoringly.  "Like...you're biggest fan!" She gushed.  "I can't believe Jared never told me he knows you!"

"Jared?  How..." Whitney looked at the girl in confusion.  "I'm sorry," she said folding her arms across her chest.  "You know Jared?" She asked. 

The blonde turned to look at Whitney, a look on her face that clearly said she hadn't even noticed Whitney had been standing there until that moment.  "Yeah."  She scoffed.  "I'm like, his girlfriend." She said, giving Whitney the once over.  "Who are you?" She asked with an accusatory tone and a hand on her hip.

"I'm his sister." Whitney replied. 

The girl's face instantly changed.  "Oh!" She exclaimed, putting her arms around Whitney and pulling her in for a hug.  Whitney looked over at JC.  This time it was him trying to bite back a laugh.  "Jared has told me so much about you!" The girl squealed.  "I know we're going to be like, best friends!"  She continued as she pulled back.  Whitney smiled at the girl's dramatics.  She was ridiculous.  Really?  This was Jared's girlfriend?  And since when did Jared have a girlfriend?  "I'm Ashley." She said, finally giving Whitney her name.

An awkward silence descended between them as Ashley was finally quiet. 

"Well." Ashley said, looking back and forth between Whitney and JC.  "I really wish Jared would have texted me earlier so we could have spent some more time together."

"He, uhm...he hasn't really been lucid until just a little while ago." Whitney replied as she folded her arms again across her chest. 

"Oh my gosh!" Ashley exclaimed, placing her hand over her chest.  "Is he going to be okay?" She asked.

Whitney gave her a dumbfounded look.  "Yeah...eventually." She nodded.  "He's pretty banged up right now but--"

As quickly as she appeared, Ashley disappeared into Jared's room-leaving Whitney and JC once more alone in the hallway as the door shut loudly behind her.  Speechless, Whitney turned to look at JC.  Their eyes met and they both broke out in laughter.  "Is it always like that?" She asked him.

"What?" He asked with a chuckle. 

"When your ‘biggest fans' meet you for the first time?" She questioned. 

  He laughed.  "Usually." He nodded. 

"Note to self." She replied teasingly.

He shrugged.  "You get used to it after a while." He said. Silence fell between them for a moment.  "So about dinner..." he drawled. 

"Yes." Whitney replied with a nod and he smiled.  "I'd love to."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: christmas