Author's Chapter Notes:
 

JC

 

Dinner was great.  If stilted, tense small talk over hot sandwiches and fries was anyone's idea of a great meal.

JC wasn't very fond of the sudden tension between them. If there was going to be tension, he wanted it to be sexual and animal. He wanted it to be because they were holding out and keeping feelings and needs and wants at bay, not because he had inadvertently demanded to know more than he needed to know about Shelby.  JC wasn't a fighter, really. If pushed, he would definitely tell you how he really, really deep down felt, but the occasions where that happened had been few, in his life. It wasn't as if he was going to sit there and argue with her. If she didn't want to talk, fine. They'd move on. Shelby was visibly upset, though, and as much as he wanted the promised and expected sexual escapade later that night, he didn't want her mad at him. A major move to set the wheels in motion to reverse was in order. 

Playing pool with Shelby was fun. Sexy and flirty and fun, when she let him stand behind her and show her a move, how to hold the stick, how to aim for a pocket. Not as fun as it could have been, had he not been an asshole before dinner. JC wondered if most guys spent dates mentally smacking themselves in the forehead. He should have this part down pat-why was this so hard?

Just before sunset, JC and Shelby were leaving the pool hall. The narrow room was filling up, getting loud and rowdy with a crowd of people neither of them felt comfortable around. There was already a waiting list for tables, and a small but growing group of girls who didn't seem to be waiting for billiard or foosball tables. They were oddly interested in JC and Shelby's game, so much that the attention was uncomfortable. When JC gathered all of the balls together and took their pool cues to the front desk, there was an audible ‘awwwwwwwww'among the crowd. 

"I'm not gonna be able to get out of this," he muttered to her. "I'll meet you out front in a few, okay?"

JC took a few photographs, signed a few autographs, answered a few questions before he begged off and went in search of Shelby. He found her, leaning up against the car, orange glow of the setting sun behind her. He found it ironic that she looked so angelic, with a halo of rays behind her, seeing as how he really hoped they were going to be very, very evil later on.

"I want to take you somewhere special," he said, after he let her into the car and slid in beside her. "Well, special to me. Is that okay?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"Always," he answered, studying her expression. Was she serious? "Would you rather go home?"

Her face softened into a smile. She reached across the armrest and smacked his arm. "I'm playing with you, JC. Relax, geez. You told me to stop being good."

"Yeah. I did." JC started the engine and pulled out of the parking spot.

"Do you regret saying that, now?"

"Not at all," he said quietly, punching at the CD changer. The radio station chatter disappeared and eclectic piano sounds filled the car. "This is my buddy, right here. He's pretty talented."

Most of the CD played as JC drove into the sunset, to what looked like the outskirts of town.  He navigated city streets with ease and familiarity-a turn here, a turn there, until they ended up high on a cliff, overlooking downtown Orlando, all sparkling lights and from one end of the vista to the other.

"Probably one of my most favorite spots, here. When I wanted to get away from it all, from everything and everyone I'd come up here. Sit up here and stare at the lights and bring some paper and a pen. And just... write. Think. Sing. Talk. Whatever."

"This view is breathtaking. People don't think about this, when they think about Orlando. Seems peaceful, and so quiet."

"It is. That's why I wanted to bring you up here, in case you were looking for that. Some peace and quiet, where the world isn't tumbling around you, all in a roar, and you can look at something beautiful and think."

"Do I seem to need that?"

"I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, or talk about whatever situation you're in. I'm just trying to help. I mean, it's gotta beat Publix."

"Oh. Well. Thank you."

"Shelby..." He turned in the leather seat, making a swish sound underneath the soft sounds of piano. "About earlier, before dinner. I'm not trying to be an ass. It's just... you can't expect me to meet you and know you and share what we've shared and for me to not be curious about you. I'm not nosy, I swear, but it's killing me to not know whatever it is you're hiding."

"I know," she said, her head bowed, her voice low. She turned to face him, sitting sideways in the seat. "You shouldn't have to apologize. And I didn't have to be such a bitch about it. I do understand the curiosity. All that stuff you want to know about me is because you want to mean something to me. And you want me to mean something to you. But I don't want anything from you. At all. I'm serious about that. I'm not gunning to be your girlfriend or significant other, or anything."

"So this is all just sex for you?"

"No. No, it's not just sex. I mean... I don't know. I don't mean it's all meaningless. I'm just saying that I'm not looking for a commitment or anything permanent from you. I would think that would be a relief to you."

"You would think, yeah. I guess I never really met a girl... woman... that meant that. Usually they say that and then three weeks later, it's like ‘aren't you more attracted to me, because I said I didn't want anything,' and then I just get all confused and feel trapped."

"So now you can relax, right? I'm not in a position to want more from you, because I can't give anymore than I'm giving. If that can't be enough, then this should be the last week we see each other."

"No!" The sudden burst of noise and protest even startled him. His head shot up and his mouth opened and the word exploded out of him. "I mean... no.  I'll deal with it, until I can't anymore. I'll try. I don't want to not see you again. However it will work for you, that's fine."

"I mean... I want to hang out with you and be your friend and have fun and the sex is... amazing. I don't want to hold anything hostage, and say it's my way or the highway. I need you to be sure you can handle this."

"I'll make it work." JC leaned across the armrest, took her chin in his palm and tipped her head up so he could reach her lips. Softly, he brushed against them, over and over until her mouth opened and tongues could dance and play together. Shelby seemed to wilt against the seat, melting into the leather, falling into the kiss. They parted, but remained close, two faces mere inches from each other, illuminated only by the glow of city lights from below.

"I was thinking about you, today," she said, her sultry tone interrupting the quiet.

"Yeah? That makes two of us. I mean, I was thinking about you. I had to threaten the guys today that we'd stay until they got this one part down, no matter how long it took. Total fake out." He chuckled, fingering the buttons on the face of the stereo system, now off. "Six o'clock, I was gone, man."

"Well, I'm glad you made it. I would have been disappointed if I couldn't see you."

"Me too. Bad date and all."

Shelby laughed. "This is the best bad date, ever."

"I know, right? Well. I hope I fixed it. Not just because I want sex later, but I mean... you can't keep me from caring about you. The less you tell me the more I'm concerned. And I know, I know. I'm not gonna keep pushing. Just making sure you hear me."

"I hear you." She leaned forward and kissed him, and then pulled back. "And thank you."

The air over Orlando was chilly, especially at the height of the cliff. Shelby shivered and crossed her bare arms. "Are you cold? I can turn the air on."

"Actually... this view is great. Really beautiful. Thank you for bringing me here...but I'm ready for some wine and some chocolate and a nice fire in the fireplace. And some you. Can we go?"

"Honey, I have never heard a better idea in my life."

 

 

Shelby

 

The drive back through the city and then on to Winter Park was quiet, but no longer tense. Shelby was afraid that tonight would be their last night together, their last date, the last time she could stand to keep turning him away. He was sweet to care, and it wasn't at all that she didn't want to open up to him. It would just bring more trouble, and he didn't sign up for that. It would be much better for the both of them if she could keep her issues, her troubles, her past to herself.

They arrived back at Shelby's house in record time, since traffic was back to its normal busy but-not-jammed state. It wasn't even that bad, compared to Miami, and the rumors of LA traffic. JC's car wasn't an uncomfortable ride and JC wasn't bad company, either. Except for a few porch lights dotting the darkness, the neighborhood was quiet as the sleek car cut through the suburban streets.

Shelby let him in through the front door, their footsteps echoing on the wood floor. Before she could reach for the hallway light switch, JC grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him, wrapping her arm around his waist, gripping the back of her neck, walking her backwards, up against the door. She was breathless, both in surprise and sudden arousal. He stepped between her legs, pushing himself into her, his head tipped to the side of her neck, hot breath and lips and teeth licking and nipping all the way up and then back down, and then around to the other side.

A strangled cry worked its way out of her throat while her hands made themselves busy roaming his body, one firmly attached to an ass check, the other making the rounds from his back to his neck and shoulders and arms and around again.

"You still mad at me?" It wasn't so much asked as mumbled while his lips made their way to her mouth, capturing her tongue and holding it hostage. "Hmmm?"

"Hmmmmmm," was all she could manage before she tore her mouth from his. "Do I seem mad, mad right now?"

He chuckled, and thrust himself into her, working his hips in sensuous circles, the bulge in tight denim pressing and pressing and pressing against her. "You're kind of sassy, Shelby woman. I like that about you."

"Good. There's a lot more where that came from."

"Yeah?" He was gone, suddenly. There was air between them. Her body instantly missed his, craved his, yearned for his. Her nipples seemed to harden and reach out for him to touch them. "Show me."

Without another word, Shelby grabbed him by the wrist and dragged him down the hall and around the corner to her bedroom, spacious and cool and painted in soothing colors, because that was supposed to be able to help her sleep. At least when she was laying there reading or staring off into space instead of sleeping, she was calm.  She snapped on a bedside lamp, bathing the room in low light, and turned around to face him.

JC was looking around, his eyes taking in almost every inch of the room from the canopy bed of dark brown walnut to the matching furniture and bay window that gave her a perfect view of Grand Lake and the surrounding forest. He took notice of an oversized box standing neatly against the wall.

He nodded toward the box. "Is that the TV you want hung?"

"Yeah."

"How big? Do you have the hardware and stuff?"

"42 inches. There's a bracket and screws and I have tools in the garage." JC walked around Shelby, around the bed, and kneeled in front of the box. He laid it on its side and opened it, sliding out the Styrofoam encased contents.

"Very nice. Good brand, perfect size, for this room." He reached into the box and pulled out the plastic packet holding the steel bracket, nails, screws, washers, and instructions. "This should be great to hold it. It swivels. That's cool."

"I don't believe you're looking through that big damn box when we're in my bedroom, feet from a bed and I'm horny as fuck. Get over here!"

"Oh." As if a light bulb went off over his head, he dropped the bracket and stood, laughing as he came back around the bed.

Shelby laughed crawling up onto the bed, boots and all. "Ohhhhhh..."

"Sorry, honey. Me man, see electronics, get stupid."

"This is why men need women. I'm sure of it." Shelby laid back on the bed, arms above her head. "Come to me, you sexy beast."

"On my way," he said, sitting on the edge of the bed, bending over. "Just a second."

"What are you doing?"

"Taking off my shoes."

"Oh, for fuck's sake. You're untying them? Just kick ‘em off."

"Can't. That stretches them out. It'll be just a second."

"Fuck, JC. Throw caution to the wind. Get up here. Shoes and everything."

"I can't. I know you can, and I personally think that position right there, with the boots, is very hot and I'm begging you to please not move. But I can't get on your bed with my shoes on."

Shelby giggled, watching his fingers move until the strings were untied on each shoe and he had slipped them off. "Okay, here I come."

He climbed up the side of the bed and landed on her, between her open legs, his mouth immediately finding hers, his hips automatically grinding into her. Her legs flew around his body, the shiny plastic of her boots squeaking as they rubbed against each other, riding his movements as he pushed and gyrated against her.

Shelby was panting and white hot, thrusting her hips up and into him. "That feels... so good..."

JC only hummed in agreement, his breath hot and fast in her ear, on her skin, in her mouth. He moved himself down so he was eye level to her chest, kissing the swell of one breast and then the other, all the way down the deep neckline to the first button. One by one, he undid them with his teeth, popping each button open while she watched. When he reached the last one, he spread each side of her blouse open let out a long, low moan.

Shelby smiled down at him. She had been hoping for that reaction-the glassed over eyes, the heavy lids, the open mouth, the irresistible pull of him down to her chest, where he could lick and suck and flick to his heart's content. And hers.

She lifted a leg into the air, before he could dive in. "If you unzip my boots, I can take my jeans off."

"Oh, now you want them off."

"It's all about presentation, baby."

"You know what..."  JC fingered the shiny material and then the stiletto heel. "I think we should take your jeans off and put the boots back on. These are redhot."

"Done. Unzip them, please."

JC did as he was asked, slowly pulling the zipper down each boot and pulling it off, and then setting them to the side while she slipped off her jeans and dropped them to the floor. Then, with his help, she put the boots back on, letting him zip them up.

"Yeah, I like that," he was muttering, his eyes roving her, hands following, top to bottom.  

"Don't you want to join me? Get more comfortable?"

"You read my mind," he said, pulling his shirt and t-shirt over his head, unbuttoning his jeans and kicking them off, leaving him in a plain pair of white briefs, the old fashioned, plain as day kind. "Laundry day," he said, chuckling at himself. "You want ‘em off, or..."

An eyebrow rose. What a silly question. "Can't fuck me with them on, now can you?"

"Uh. I can, but we're not gonna get into that right now." He laughed and pulled them down his hips.

Shelby had to remind herself to breathe, seeing him for the first time in a week. He was just as long and just as thick and just as beautiful as he was seven days before, if not more. She didn't even try to stop herself from licking her lips in anticipation. Rather, she sat up far enough to grab him by the shoulders and pull him down on top of her and then rolled them so she was on top.

"You like my parlor tricks?"

JC grinned, so wide she couldn't even see his eyes. "Pretty sexy. What are you gonna do, up there?"

"You'll find out. Close your eyes. Keep them closed. I know you like to watch, but just feel it." JC laid back, arms above his head, legs open to make room for her, eyes closed.

There was something inherently manly about JC. He wasn't overtly macho, nor was he showy in feats of strength or brute force. He was quiet, more the strong, silent type, likely to be found in a corner, watching the action take place in a room than in the center of attention. There was so much to him that he kept hidden and covered up, but not because he seemed ashamed, or shy or even modest-it was just his style. He offered strength and a calm that not even she was able to produce for herself. In the storm that was her life, the waves didn't seem to rock as hard, or as violently when he was around, the ability to bring peace seemingly a natural skill for him. She couldn't help but think about things like that, while exploring his body, naming off all the things that made him sexy to her, that made him irresistible, that made her seek him out and want to be near him.

Her finger traced a path down the center of his chest, past his well developed midsection, past his navel to the thin trail of hair that led to a pulsing, throbbing mass of heat and muscle and skin. Her hands worked around him, kneading and rubbing and touching, as her lips followed the trail, kissing and biting and making little suction sounds. His eyes were still closed but his mouth was open, erotic groans accompanying bucking hips, trying to make connection with her lips. And then, when he seemed to least expect it, she let her tongue slide around the head, circling quickly in a spiral, licking up any evidence that he was very much aroused.

‘Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk."

"Mmmhhmmmm," she hummed, closing her mouth over him and slowly working her way down.  JC was shaking, shuddering as her mouth rode him, hot and wet, humming and moaning while he bucked and jerked and rolled his hips in time, his mouth open and phrases pouring out and into the air between them.

His hands moved from above his head to her hair, at some points holding her still while he did all the work, until he was beet red and barely breathing and pulsing in her mouth.

"I'm gonna come. I'm gonna come. I'm gonna...shit......"

He seemed to breathe sighs of relief and elation as he pumped into her mouth, still holding her head but not tightly. More like something to hang onto, until his strength was sapped and his arms fell back against the bed.  His grin was a mile wide, his eyes still closed as Shelby pulled off, and then kissed her way back up the path to his face, kissing him, letting him taste his salty, almondy, almost bitter flavor.

"How was that? Good?"

JC only groaned in response, the red in his skin fading, his breathing slowing to normal. Shelby chuckled and crawled around to lay next to him, oddly satisfied, herself.

 

 

JC

 

That woman and her mouth were going to bring him lots and lots of trouble. The way she used it was like magic. No two blow jobs were ever the same but... damn, she was good at it.

JC had a plan in his head and a need he wanted to fulfill for her. As soon as he could move.

Before he even realized he had fallen asleep, he was awake, again, in the same position, but alone in the bed. He laid there for a few minutes, listening to the sounds of Shelby wandering around in the house. Her bra and blouse were laid at the foot of the bed... so was she naked?

JC sat up, rifling through the pockets of his jeans, retrieving a condom and hurriedly rolling it on, then stepping out into the hallway in search of her. He could see a band of light shining from around the corner, and a heard drawer opening in the kitchen, utensils clanging against each other. Slowly, quietly, he crept around the corner and peeked into the kitchen.

Shelby was nude, except for the shiny black boots. The lights were off, except for a light above the stove. Her hair hung down her back, long and sleek, drawing his eye all the way down the back of her body. He eased into the kitchen and stepped behind her, pressing into the small of her back. He expected her to jump, but she didn't. Instead she pushed back against him, heaving a breathy sigh. On the counter in front of her were the chocolate torte and two dessert plates, the bottle of wine and two glasses.

He gathered her hair and moved it to one side, over her shoulder and then commenced to rubbing her, feeling her from her shoulders to her knees, front to back and front again, then cupping her breasts and playing with the hard, eraser tip nipples, standing so close to her, still., right up against her, warm hardness between them.

"Chocolate and wine and you. Trifecta." His lips nibbled at her ear.  He could see her smile, even more so as she turned her head toward him and brushed her lips against his.

"You want some? Some chocolate, some wine, some me?"

He sucked in a breath and exhaled, shuddering in her ear, pressing into her as she pushed back. "Yeah. All of it. "

Shelby dipped a finger into the torte, digging out a chunk of it, and then turning around so he could see her smearing the thick, rich chocolate over her chest, around each nipple, down the center of her midsection.

"Then come and get it."

 

~ ~ ~

 

JC

 

"No, it's more of a Lenny Kravitz, bluesy type sound. You know his song It Ain't Over Till It's Over? The bass in the background is ‘bowbow... da da doom da da da da bowbow'.  And then it switches chords, and goes again, ‘bowbow... da da doom da da da da bowbow'. That's the vibe we're going for."

JC bobbed his head as Duke's nimble fingers worked the strings of the bass guitar, filling the room with deep sounds, working his way across the notes on the page.  Duke joined JC in keeping the beat, except he did it with a booted foot, tapping in time to the rhythm.

He wasn't a much of a smiler. In fact, Duke very seldom showed any kind of pleasure on his face, his expression normally stony, adding an air of distaste whenever he had to work with JC. Today though, if JC wasn't mistaken, Duke was pleased. He had a part all to himself, in a new song. The bass line was the most prominent sound, giving him a chance to showcase his skills where he was meant to stand out.

"Sounding good in here. I like that." Rod's voice came from around the corner, heard before he was seen entering the rehearsal room. He stood next to JC, leaning against a waist high speaker, arms crossed, watching Duke play. "Is this the new one you told me about?"

"Yep." JC nodded, his eyes and ears on the bass until the section was finished. "And then right there is where we flow into the chorus, and everyone else joins in. Around bar four, they drop out again, and it's all you, but you've got to be ready for it, because the rhythm changes."

Duke squinted, appeared confused. "Well, couldn't I drop the last note of the chorus, to catch the rhythm of verse two?"

JC shook his head, lips pursed in deep thought. "Live, maybe. For the studio recording, I think it'll catch and sound weird." Duke rolled his eyes. "Okay, you know what? We'll try it both ways. If you can't tell, fine. It sticks. But I'm telling you," JC tapped his temple. "In here, it doesn't sound right."

"Well in here," Duke tapped his chest, just above his heart. "It sounds fine. But you're the MD, so we'll try it your way."

JC laughed and clapped him on the shoulder. Duke made a joke. At least he hoped it was a joke. "Appreciate that. Let's take five, and then I want to get everyone together to go over this new song."

Duke gingerly set the instrument back onto its stand and left the room, his heavy boots pounding along the carpeted floor. JC dropped into a chair, and tapped his laptop. The screensaver popped off and his music composition program came to life. He scrolled a few screens, sent a page to print, and then, whistling a few bars of the new song, turned in his chair to pick up the pages from the printer. He nearly fell to the floor in surprise when he found Rod still in the room, slouched against the cushions of the couch, feet kicked out and one ankle crossed over the other, dark eyes fixed on JC, a suspicious glint to them.

"You're in an awfully good mood, lately," Rod said. "Like a real good mood, the last three weeks or so." JC knew what this was about, but his plan was to play stupid and hope Rod didn't catch on. Except he knew Rod was pretty smart and the charade wouldn't last long.

"Yeah, I feel like this is really coming together. The new songs we're working on are sounding great. The band seems to be getting along. Duke doesn't want to kill me or quit the band, at least this week. And I don't feel like I've killed your career, yet. So..." JC grinned, tossing his hands up. "Yeah, life is good right now."

"Is it, now?" Rod nodded slowly, his arms stretched across the cushions of the couch. He chewed the inside of his lip, eyeing JC. "So, how about life at home? You know, outside of here?"

"Uhm, that life is okay, too. Friends are all happy I'm home. Mom and dad are over the moon to have me close again, the whole family's doing good. We haven't spent this much time together in-"

A deep chuckle interrupted as Rod pushed himself off of the couch and crossed the room, standing right in front of JC."That's not what I meant," said Rod, bending over, laying a hand across JC's shoulder and squeezing slightly. "You know what I'm talking about. C'mon, man. What's her name?"

"Aw, here we go again," said, JC, waving him off. "I'm in a good mood, so there has to be a ‘she' in there?"

"C, you only whistle when you're gettin' some. You've been a fuckin' tweetie bird for like, a month.  You take every Thursday night off.  And then every Friday you bounce in here with a shit eatin' grin on your face, and you smell like pussy." Rod grinned, a wide smile of straight white teeth that looked more predatory than friendly. "I know you, man. You know I know you. Cut the bullshit. Tell me about her."

Nervous, JC laughed, trying to mask his mild panic. He needed to keep Shelby quiet and off of Rod's radar. "I-Rod, you know what? Things are good, for me. This is a good break for me and I appreciate you offering me this gig, and I'm just trying to put my all into it, you know? That's just... that's it. I think things are going well."

"Yeah, right, okay. Play it cool, huh? I still think there's some chick wrapped up in this. I'll find out. You know I will." Rod shook his shoulder a few times and walked out of the room. JC watched him, his bottom lip finding its way between his teeth, then exhaling a deep sigh of relief.

He was sure he wasn't going to get off that easily the next time.

~ ~ ~

JC wandered the studio, picking up random items here and there. He liked to spread out and get comfortable, so he often left things everywhere he went. Part of his routine every night was working his way from one end of the room to another, stuffing things into his bag to make sure he had everything when he went home. The only missing item was his cell phone, which he was sure he didn't leave out except for the five minutes he was in the bathroom. It was, however, nowhere to be found in the studio.

"Shit."A sick feeling was developing in the pit of his stomach as JC dropped his bag on the chair and rushed out of the room. Down the hall, Rod's office door was open, the light was on, and there was a light chuckle every few seconds. ‘No, no, no, no, no!  Shit!'

A thin, oblong device was cradled in Rod's hand, his thumb scrolling.  Rod's eyes lit up and he tossed his head back and laughed, just catching JC in the doorway.

"Oh, man. These text messages are great! This one? I love it!" Rod read the text aloud, his voice booming. "My favorite part of last night--you under me, stars above me, sounds of nature around me, doing something naughty but so much fun in the backyard. It sucked having to be quiet, dot dot dot. You know how hard that is for me. WINK. "

He tossed the phone down onto the desk, clapping loudly, laughing that obnoxious high pitched hyena sound that JC hated. It grated on his nerves, especially when Rod was laughing about his private business, and snooping in his phone.

JC marched across the room and snatched up the device, locking it and shoving it in his pocket. He was shaking, he was so angry, and beginning to rethink taking this job and rekindling his friendship with Rod.  The laughter died down and Rod glanced at him, incredulous at his reaction.

 "Aw come on, man. It was just a couple texts I read. I didn't even get in deep. It was right on top. Why couldn't you tell me about her?"

"Because she's none of your business!"

"Dude. Chill." The smile began to disappear. Rod looked... evil. "She's just a chick, right? They come and go, you know that. Nothing comes between me and my bros. Not even chicks that send sexy text messages. Is she hot? You wanna bring her around? Use the office bed sometimes?"

JC cringed involuntarily while he paced the office, trying to form words that could come out of his mouth and not risk his job. A few things were coming to light in that moment, namely why he and Rod had drifted so far apart in the first place.

It had been years since they had last worked together, when the call came. In the back of his mind, he always wondered why someone like Rod would need someone like him to help write his album and basically lead his band. JC was good, mind you. But not that good.

Clues began to connect in JC's head, stockpiled with all the rumors about how difficult Rod was to work with, and how poorly he treated his partners, and how Rod used people to make his own star bigger. Personal tragedies and triumphs all seemed to come back to Rod. JC remembered, much too late, that Rod was spoiled and immature, used to getting what he demanded, when he demanded it.  And when he didn't get his way, he made a way to get his way.

But Rod couldn't write songs alone and he couldn't produce himself, and he only knew how to play guitar and piano.  His reputation had worked him into a tough spot. No one but JC would overlook that reputation and work with him. JC began to regret being so nice, giving him the benefit of the doubt, giving in to the ‘remember the good times' speech.

"You know what, man?" JC paused, leaning onto the back of one of the guest chairs in front of the massive desk. "I'm not your ‘bro'. Not anymore. You brought me here to do a job. I'm doing that job. My personal life is not that job, and it's not your business. I'd appreciate it if you could keep your hands off of my stuff. If we're gonna have problems with that, I have no problem walking out of that door and not coming back."

Rod seemed apologetic-as apologetic as a cocky, spoiled brat could appear. He sat back in his leather chair, his arms falling to the armrests. "Sorry, man. It was just some jokes. Won't happen again."

"Damn right, it won't," said JC, and without another word, stormed out of the room, gathered his bag and left the studio.  By the time he got to his car, he had almost convinced himself to never go back.

Rod's words rang in his ears over and over. ‘She's just a chick, right?'  But Shelby wasn't just a chick. He wasn't planning on anything serious or long term with her yet but he wasn't counting that option out, either-she had potential. In the few weeks since he met her, JC had been more relaxed than he'd been in the months before he knew her. He was happy, and it wasn't just the sex-- though the sex was good. Shelby was bringing out his fun side, a side he'd long forgotten and thought he had to put away, to deal with them in LA. Someone always had to be the adult. That job had fallen to him. 

He didn't have to take care of Shelby. He'd never had to fish her, drunk off her ass, out of a pool. He'd never had to talk her out of dangerous 3am drive down windy, twisty Mulholland while high on cocaine. Shelby's biggest vice was the chocolate torte from Dessert Lady and frankly, when she insisted on smearing it over his lips, and across his chest, and around his dick and licking it off, he could deal with that kind of vice.

She was cagey, though, and that worried him. She had yet to really tell him anything about herself, about the Shelby that existed before he ran into her at the Winter Park Publix. She so clearly had something to hide.

JC was determined to figure out what that something was before someone else did. 

"I really, really need for this to not blow up right now. Just... not right now.' 




You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: wank kitchensex carsex drunksex breakupjc producerjc tabloids celebrity