Author's Chapter Notes:
That's what you get for waking up in... Miami... 

Shelby

 

It was late, nearly morning when Shelby’s headlights lit up the driveway of her parent's house. The car idled for a few moments before she cut the lights and the engine, popped the latch on her door and climbed out. She waited for JC at the sidewalk so they could walk in together. Lights were on, inside. Someone was awake.

"Is it okay for me to be here?" JC hesitated, his hands in his pockets while walking slowly beside her, a duffel bag hanging from a shoulder.  Shelby laughed, hooking her arm into his, walking him to the door that was already opening, light from the hallway spilling out and brightening the pre-dawn air.

“It’s fine,” she said. “I told them you were coming.”

Renee was in her robe, a dark blue one she wore for company. The long hem of her nightgown peeked from underneath and just brushed the floor as she held the door open and ushered the two inside. Softly, she closed the door behind them and smiled at weary faces.

“You two look… well, exhausted is a word,” she said, her voice low. Shelby glanced at JC, trying to keep the smirk off of her face. Renee missed it and shooed them toward the staircase. “Go on upstairs. Get some sleep. We’ll talk in the morning.”

Shelby led the way, quietly climbing the stairs. JC followed her down a narrow, dimly lit hallway to a bedroom at the end of that hall. She pushed the door open and smiled. In her late night wandering and waiting, Renee had changed the sheets and made the bed. The window was open, allowing the breeze they’d been enjoying for a few hours to waft through the room. The sounds at the cusp of morning were comforting, but Shelby pushed the window closed and drew the drapes against the darkness.

She pointed toward a door. “Bathroom there. Make yourself comfortable. I’ll be right back.”

Shelby left the room again and crept back down the stairs. Renee was silently shuffling around the kitchen, rifling through cabinets, running her fingers through her short brown-but-graying bob.

“I wonder if insomnia is hereditary.” She smiled as Renee twirled around, startled by her voice. She tucked her hip against a counter and crossed her arms, eyeing her mother. “You’re probably why I don’t sleep.”

“Could be,” Renee answered. “So things turned out okay? I'm guessing yes, since you look…" Renee shrugged and smiled, a light pink rising from the bodice of her nightgown and creeping up toward her face.

Shelby nodded, pushing off of the counter and reaching for the handle of the refrigerator. She opened it, peering into the bright light and scanned its contents. Leftover tacos from dinner. Pepsi. Iced tea. Milk.

“We spent some time together. And we had a good talk. Probably not the last one, but a good one anyway."

"I'm happy to hear that. I really am."

Something in Renee's voice made Shelby close the door and turn around. She was usually nosy and prying and passive aggressive about digging for information while pretending to be concerned.

"Why? I mean... thanks. But why?"

"Because," Renee answered, pointing a long, bony finger at her. "He makes you happy. How long has it been since I could say I saw my daughter with a smile on her face?" She shook her head, her eyes drifting away and then back to Shelby. "I don't know. I don't know why you fought him so long. This Lucas thing..."  She scoffed, flapping a hand as if she could wave the entire situation away. "Well, anyway, you deserve someone that would come find you, even when you tried to run away."

Shelby leaned back against the door of the refrigerator, relaxing her head against the cool stainless steel. "It felt good, you know? To tell him everything. No one I was ever with before would have stayed. And he probably shouldn’t, either.” 

Out of habit, Shelby cast her eyes down, concealing long hidden pain, shame and regret. Renee moved across the room, her arms open. Shelby fell into them, holding onto the short but strong arms of comfort.  After a few minutes, they parted, each swiping a finger under each eye.

"Well, now…what's going to happen with the Samuels family? Are you still going to give them the money?"

Shelby shook her head and sucked in a deep breath through her nose. She still had a battle to fight before this "Lucas Thing" was over. "I was only doing that so they would leave JC alone, but he doesn't want me to do that. We'll go to the meeting and tell them the harassment has to stop, or we'll take legal action. If they think they deserve some of the settlement, they should file suit. Otherwise, they - meaning Melina-“ Shelby glanced at her mother, a sarcastic rise to her eyebrow. “-don't have reasons to keep bringing my name up in conversation, stalking me and printing lies. It should be over. Done."

"Exactly. That's so right." Renee nodded, her mouth in a tight, firm line, a crease across her forehead. "I don't want this hanging over your head anymore, you know? You’ve been through enough. You deserve to be able to live your life."  She reached up and, out of habit, swiped at a long strand of hair and tucked it behind Shelby's ear. Renee had been doing that Shelby's whole life. Sometimes JC did it too.

Shelby felt relaxed. She was aiming for free, but she wouldn't feel close to that until this ordeal was behind her. The massive weight that had lived on her shoulders for the past few years had, over the last 24 hours, slipped away. Shelby was light and happy, near giddy. The dark cloud of the looming meeting with the revered Samuels family and their clan of curt, well dressed attorneys lurked ahead, just over the horizon. Shelby hoped JC was really, for real, serious about standing by her. She'd need him there. 

"Well, whatever happens is what happens," she said with a dejected sigh. "Maybe I'll feel differently in a few days. I'm riding euphoria right now. I took a big risk and spilled everything and came out with someone that cares about me, despite everything I put him through, and the person I used to be."

"You had that all along," Renee chided, but smiled through it. "But I know what you mean. We all need someone who'll stand by us." Renee rubbed Shelby’s arms, then clasped hands with her and made her way to the stairs again, pulling Shelby with her. "Now, before I get really nosy, you'd better get up there and get some rest."

"Hell yes, before you get really nosy."

JC

 

Flowers.   He smelled flowers.

It wasn’t floral, more pungent. The fresh scent tickled his nose and infiltrated his dreams, pulling him out until he was almost awake. He sniffed, before his eyes were even open. He was sure of it now. He smelled actual flowers.

His eyes fluttered open a few times before they could focus on anything. The room looked unfamiliar. Really unfamiliar. As in, he had never been in it before. And didn’t remember how he got there.

He was covered by a white eyelet duvet, the sheets a pristine white as well– totally not his style.  On the bedside table, painted white to match nearly everything else in the room, was a vase of lavender blooms. Flowers. JC yawned and scratched and sat up, wracking his brain to remember where he was and what he was doing there. And why he now smelled pancakes.

The knob turned and the door eased open with a light creak. Shelby slipped into the room, closing the door softly behind her. She was a sight for sore eyes, cute and comfortable in shorts, a tank top, and bare feet.

“Hey, sleepy.”  Shelby climbed onto the bed and leaned over him, brushed her lips against his and laughed at his hair standing on end and going in every direction.

JC dipped his head away from her hands trying to smooth his hair down. “Where are we? Your parents?”

She nodded. “You passed out cold last night. I came back upstairs and you were knocked out. I had to undress you.”  She angled her head toward an armchair next to the only window in the room, piled with his clothing from the day before. JC vaguely remembered climbing the steps and collapsing onto the bed. Quickly, he lifted the sheet to find himself undressed to his briefs. Inwardly, he breathed a sigh of relief that he wasn’t naked.

“Sorry about that.”

“It was fun. Did you sleep okay?”

“I guess. I don’t remember much. You?”

Shelby smiled wide and nodded. “I slept great. I always do, with you.”

JC would have smiled back, but he wasn’t quite awake yet. In fact, this was already too much conversation for the morning. He motioned with his hand for her to move so he could get up. “Gotta pee,” he said simply, when was up and out of the bed and stalking toward the small bathroom.

“Come downstairs for breakfast, when you’re done,” she called through the door.

“ ‘Kay,” he mumbled back, turning on the faucet at the sink and filling his hands with cool water.

Feeling more awake, alert, and alive, JC padded down the steps in socked feet and the jeans and t-shirt he’d worn the night before, his shoes hanging off of two fingers. He reached the landing and turned right, toward the bright sunlight streaming into the house.

The hallway opened into the living room where Shelby’s dad sat in a recliner, his face hidden by the Miami Tribune. He lowered the page a little, revealing a pair of thick-rimmed glasses perched on the end of his nose. He nodded at JC, then raised the page again and went back to reading. Around the corner, JC heard Shelby and her mom puttering around in the kitchen, chatting like school girls. Silverware tinkled and plates clacked as they were stacked on top of each other.

He announced his presence with a quiet, “Uhhhmm…” The room fell silent as both women looked up from their tasks and stared at him. He smiled a little and gave a wave of few fingers. “Morning, ladies. Do I smell coffee?”

Renee rushed across the kitchen to pick out a mug from a cabinet for him, and then directed him to the coffee pot on the counter next to the refrigerator, the small bowl of sugar and the carton of flavored non-dairy creamer.

“Shelby says you’re picky about your coffee, so I’ll let you fix it up yourself.”

“Shelby makes me sound pretentious.” 

Smiling at Renee, he dropped his shoes in the hallway, took the mug from her and stepped a few feet into the kitchen. He felt eyes boring into his back with laser precision, watching him pour himself a cup of the dark, Columbian brew, measuring out cream and sugar, and taking a sip. He gave them time to pretend they weren’t watching him, slowly turning and leaning against the refrigerator.

“Shelby is right, though. I am picky. She does a great job of fetching me coffee, though.”

Shelby tried to stifle a snort but it escaped anyway. Renee laughed and JC laughed and Bob asked, loudly, if breakfast was ready or if everyone was just going to stand around flirting with JC.

“Aw, Dad. Don’t be mad that JC doesn’t think you’re cute. Come and eat.”

 

“So, I called and talked with Robin this morning,” Shelby announced over pancakes and eggs, bringing all eating to a standstill. Raised eyebrows and halted breaths signaled that she could go on. “Woke her up, which she was pissed about, but whatever. I told her that we didn’t want to pay Melina off. I’ll head back to the bank and redeposit the check. She’s surprised, but she says she can handle it.”

JC signaled his approval by returning to his plate, heaping with pancakes and eggs and sausage. “In case she can’t, let me know. I can get you in touch with a couple of great attorneys down here.”

“I appreciate that, JC… but Robin has been with me since the beginning. She knows my case. I want her to handle it. I know she can do it.” Shelby hesitated a moment before asking, “Okay?”

“Yeah. Yes. It’s fine. Okay.”

“She got the meeting scheduled, though. 10am tomorrow morning.”

Renee and Bob’s heads jerked up at the announcement. JC chewed but kept his eyes on Shelby. She didn’t seem nervous or upset, at all. Stoic, was the word. Without thinking, he slid a hand over to her lap, under the table, and gripped her thigh. At the last moment, he remembered where they were and started to draw his hand back. By then, Shelby had laid her hand on top of his and wrapped her fingers around his. The strength of her grip told him her demeanor was bravado. She was putting on a face for her parents. She didn’t want them to worry.

“Good,” JC commented, playing along. “We’ll get it done and over with. Right?”

“Right,” Shelby agreed, giving his hand a few squeezes. Thank you, she was saying.

“Well, JC…” Renee shifted in her chair, grinned a sly smile at him and laid a hand on his arm. Did she just squeeze his bicep? “Shelby says you spend quite a bit of time in Miami. Whereabouts do you usually go?”

“Uhm…” JC swallowed, stalling for time, trying not to choke while biting back a laugh. “I come down here usually over New Year’s Eve. Some buddies throw a party every year, around South Beach. My brother and I usually go.”

He nodded a few times, signaling the end of his contribution to the discussion. Renee wouldn’t be able to flirt her way into getting him to admit all the other activities he looked forward to each year—scantily clad women nearly fighting over each other to get to him, endless complimentary alcohol, party rooms that reeked of pot and other substances. Nope, as far as Mrs. Coster was concerned, he was a fine, upstanding young gentleman that happened to be a musician.

“What is it that you do?” Past Renee, Bob had cleaned his plate and leaned back in his chair. “I mean. You sing, or something? Shelby says you’re a musician.”

“Shelby has shared a lot about me. I wish I could say the same.” JC shot a playful glare in Shelby’s direction. She hid an embarrassed half smile and shrugged a shoulder. “I do sing. I used to sing. These days I’m more behind the mic. Producing and writing. I’m working right now with Rod Phillips Band—I don’t think you’d know him—“

“That song you like, on the younger station, Daddy? Evil Side of Me? JC wrote that.”

Recognition crossed Bob’s face and he started to hum the melody. “Yeah, I did like that one. They played the shit out of it, though.”

“That’s the idea,” JC said, then glanced at Shelby, an eyebrow raised. “Thank you… honey.”

“I was just driving your point home.”

“I… I get that. Anyway,” his attention returned to Bob, despite Shelby’s fingers tightening around his, her nails digging into his skin. “Yeah, I wrote that and a few other songs. We just finished a new album and we’ll be touring next year, so…”

“Rod is uh… kind of a wild one. Isn’t he? You run with that crowd?”

“No sir,” he answered, promptly. “I’m low-key. I like it that way.”

“Good,” Bob answered. “I like to hear that. These kids don’t realize what they do today will leave an imprint on tomorrow. Rod will see that, someday.”

“We hope,” JC said. Bob nodded his agreement. He seemed satisfied. JC felt relieved.

 

Shelby

 

Shelby ate quietly, one hand in a death grip around JC’s, the other poking through her breakfast as she listened to the featherweight grilling from her parents. Shelby had never really brought a man home for a meal. The experience was enlightening, and probably would have been more fun if he hadn’t had to chase her down the night before.

The men Shelby dated in college were never the kind she wanted to bring home. Most were one-night stands anyway, and her parents didn't know about them. Lucas made a big show of trying to impress them, to buy them with fancy dinners at expensive restaurants. The Costers weren't fancy, high cultured, expensive food kind of people with evolved tastes. Eventually, they started begging off of the dinners because the food upset their stomachs.

Breakfast with JC and her parents, in contrast, was fun. He was just as laid back with them as he was with her, never looking twice at misshapen, homemade pancakes instead of gourmet, perfectly round ones, and regular old coffee instead of some expensive fresh ground fancy brand. Renee and Bob were both retired from careers as teachers and administrators. JC peppered them with questions, flattering them with his interest on their opinion on the state of public education.

"I tell you," JC said, swallowing a mouthful of food, loading up a fork with the next load. "Kids don’t realize how formative the high school years are. If it's one thing I miss, it's the high school experience. Every kid has that to look back on, and I really don't."

"Well, you went for awhile, didn't you?" Renee asked, piling more eggs onto his plate. "And then... what, you had to drop out?"

JC shook his head, attacking the new mound of eggs. "Not exactly. We had a tutor when we moved to Florida. We had to be in class for a certain amount of time before we could even hit the set every day. My parents were kind of nazi about good grades and things like that--"

Bob put down his fork, his eyebrows knit together in confusion. "Hit the set?"

Shelby tore a biscuit in two, smiling at JC. "JC was on a Disney TV show as a kid, daddy."

"I thought you said he was a singer?"

"He is, Bob," Renee said. "Pay attention."

"I am paying attention. I'm confused. Does he act or does he sing?"

"Both," volunteered Shelby and Renee while JC laughed and ate, enjoying the playful argument.

"Ah, you kids," he grumbled. He slid his glasses up, but they never stayed. Slowly, they slid down again to their usual spot. He pointed his empty fork at JC. "So many interests, you don't even know which way is up, do you? How do you do so much and still be a kid?"

"You don't, sir. You learn to grow up very quickly." JC cleared his plate and pushed it away, drained his glass of orange juice and rubbed his belly. “Mrs. Coster—“

“Renee,” she interrupted.

“Renee,” JC continued, not missing a beat. “That was the best homemade meal I’ve had since the last time Shelby made me dinner.” He stopped to grin, obviously proud of himself. “How’d I do, with that compliment? Did I cover all my bases?”

The table erupted in laughter. Renee blushed and pushed her chair back, reaching for his plate. “Pretty good, I’d say. Pretty good. So, what are your plans until tomorrow?”

“Uh… “ JC glanced toward Shelby, the question written all over his face.

Shelby took over, reading the near-panic in JC’s face. “We were thinking that we might go into the city and stay a couple of days. We’ve never spent a weekend together before. We’ve… never been out of town together, before. “ 

“Sounds like fun,” Renee said, already distracted by loading the dishwasher. “You’ll let us know how Monday turns out?”

“Of course. I’ll call you as soon as we’re out.”

“Well, then. You kids had better get yourselves upstairs and ready to go before I put you to work around here. Garden needs weeding, lawn needs mowing…”

Shelby shot up from the table, tapping JC on the shoulder. "We’d better go, while we have amnesty. In five minutes, she'll forget she said that and make us help." 

 

“Thanks for the hospitality, Renee. Bob.” 

JC backed away from the house, waving and still tossing compliments about breakfast through the screen door. Shelby’s parents waved and watched them get into her car and drive away.

“Pleasant Sunday morning,” Shelby chirped, snapping the seatbelt closed and settling back against the passenger seat. A glance toward the back seat brought a smile to her lips—memories of the night before, flashes of space and time and feelings and thoughts raced through her mind. Her body reacted, double time when she saw her overnight bag tossed next to JC’s duffel bag. Things were working out, for the moment.

“Yeah, that was great. I’m actually glad we stayed there last night. It was nice to get a chance to talk with your parents.”

Shelby smirked. “My mom has a crush on you, I think.”

“You think so?”

“Yeah. I think you knew that, though.”

“Maybe. I’m kind of an expert at knowing if someone’s into me.”

“Oh, really? What did you think I thought of you, at first?”

“Uhm, let’s see.” JC scratched his temple, and then the growth of hair that had sprung overnight on his cheeks. “Okay, the first night we ever saw each other, at the store, I think you were shocked. You know what I mean? To see someone, like… like, well me…doing his own grocery shopping. I don’t think you thought anything at first. But sometime between when you walked away, and the next night, you definitely got interested.”

“What makes you say that?”      

JC glanced over at the passenger seat, his brows furrowed. “Oh, please. Who shops at 5am?”

“I do!”

“In full-on hot girl gear? Makeup, perfume, painted toenails, the whole deal. Tell me, who does that, and isn’t interested?” Shelby refused to answer, instead staring out of the window at traffic.  “You wanted me and you know it. And you made sure I knew it.”

“Fine. You read me. I wasn’t really hiding it. I went at 5am because I hoped I would see you again.” Shelby poked JC in the side and twisted, her finger digging into his ribs. JC groaned and laughed and tried to pull away, but there was nowhere to go and besides, he was driving. “And guess who was sitting out there when I came out of the store? None other than JC Chasez.”

“I saw your car pull in. I never said I wasn’t interested. I knew I wanted you the second I ran into you the first night.”

“I saw you duck your head behind that end cap. Staring at my ass, dirty old man.”

“I wasn’t staring at your ass,” he argued. “Not right then, anyway.”

“What were you looking at, then?”

“Your back. Your neck. Your hair, up in that clip thing.” JC shot another glance over at the passenger seat and smiled. “I was picturing you walking around my house looking like that. In my bed, looking like that.”

Shelby burst into full on laughter while JC guided her midnight blue coupe, cutting through Miami traffic like a Pro-Am driver. The day was glorious, the sun hanging in the sky like a big, gorgeous yellow ball, baking the city with heat and not a cloud anywhere in sight. Tourists were out and about, shopping, eating, and heading toward the beach.

JC seemed to know exactly where he wanted to go, swinging into the parking lot of a swanky beach hotel. The parking lot was nearly full of luxury model cars and beautiful people strolling aimlessly around the sidewalks and lounging by the pool. He pulled into a spot in the self-park lot and turned off the ignition. Shelby climbed out behind him and followed him to the check in desk, through the lobby and to the elevator.

In the room, the air still smelled of cleanser, the bed was freshly made and the mini-fridge had been stocked. If they didn’t want to, they didn’t have to leave the room. And maybe they wouldn’t.

“Make yourself comfortable,” he said, digging through his bag. “I need a shower and a shave. Think of some things you want to do. Need to relax before tomorrow. Big day.”

Why do people insist on reminding me what a big day tomorrow is? If anyone knows that, it’s me!

Shelby bit her tongue to keep her inner dialog from flowing out and toward JC. Instead, she sat on the side of the bed and reached for the remote. The TV snapped from channel to mindless channel. There was nothing really worth watching—not when the best thing to be watching was either outside beyond the balcony or inside, in the shower. Shelby set her bag aside and marched into the bathroom.

JC’s head appeared from behind the curtain. “Can I help you?”

“Nope,” she said, hopping up onto the long counter. “I just wanted to be in the same room with you. Carry on. Unless you’re masturbating in there, in which case I can help you with that.”

JC rolled his eyes, but he was smiling when he ducked back behind the curtain. “I think we had enough last night to keep me on full for a little bit.”

“I could use some. But I can wait.”

“It wouldn’t be healthy for us to stay holed up in this room all day,” he said, his voice bouncing off of the tile, accented by splashing water. An arm appeared above the curtain rod and disappeared, again. “Besides, it’s a nice day out. We’re together, on a weekend. We should enjoy it.”

Shelby thumbed through the items he’d pulled out of his bag. She uncapped his deodorant and sniffed it, smiling at the familiar scent, and then capped it again. “I’d enjoy never leaving the room, but I understand what you’re saying.”

“Tonight will be fun though.” Shelby heard a splash of water and JC‘s voice bouncing off of a different wall. He must have turned around. “So, what’s up with tomorrow’s meeting?”

“Tomorrow’s meeting will involve stuffy men that look like they have sticks shoved up their asses in expensive suits. On our side it’ll be you, me and my attorney, Robin.”

“That’s your old high school friend, right?”

“Yeah. And by the way, I told her about you.”

“Yeah?” JC’s head poked out of the shower, again. “How did that go?”

“She reminded me of how she used to practice kissing with your poster on her wall. And then she laughed, hysterically so, because I’m dating you, now.”

“Figures.” JC slid the curtain all the way open and stepped out of the shower. Shelby handed him a towel and then watched him wipe away the dripping water. “Does she know I’m coming?”

“No.  I’ll tell her when we’re on our way. She’ll get all… teeny with too much advance notice. Do the naked dance for me.” 

JC stopped wiping long enough to give Shelby a quizzical stare. Brows furrowed, he went back to drying himself, then wrapped the towel around his waist and tucked it into place. He shooed her to the end of the counter and impatiently moved all of his toiletry items so that they were within reach.

“Messin’ up my groove, Shelby woman.”

“That’s what I’m here for,” she responded, smiling sweetly. He smiled back, sarcastically so, while putting on deodorant and pulling a comb through his hair. “So, tomorrow. I hope it doesn’t get ugly, but it might. I just…you don’t have to go in there with me and you don’t have to be involved in this at all. I really would rather keep you out of all of this.”

“We already had this discussion. I’ll be there. You’re not paying anyone off to do the right thing. There are proper channels and proper ways of doing things. Melina does what she does because you let her do it and get away with it. Well, now you’re done doing that.”

Shelby stared at her hands in her lap. He was right, of course, but she’d had her reasons for running instead of fighting. She’d mistakenly underestimated Melina’s conviction and dedication to her father—or more to the point, her father’s money. JC laid a hand over her clasped ones.

“Tomorrow is tomorrow. We’ll worry about it then. Okay?” He leaned in and tipped his head to meet her lips, dropping soft kisses on them until she lifted her head. “Feel better?”

“What would make me feel better is if you did the naked dance. Just once?”

Shelby laughed and JC groaned, unwrapped the towel and kicked it to the corner of the bathroom, then leaned against the counter in front of her. She trapped him there, wrapping her legs around his legs and her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her. Their eyes met, laughter subsiding into residual chuckles.

“Still haven’t named that dimple.”

“Slacker.”

“Been preoccupied with the rest of you. If you weren’t so damn sexy...” A shiver overtook him, wracking him from head to toe.  “It’s cold in here. Let me go, so I can get dressed.” 

She released him, but only after she stole a kiss or two. JC went back to combing his hair, then brushed his teeth and shaved while Shelby looked on. When he was done he checked himself in the mirror, winked at her and left the bathroom.

“Better hurry up and get out here,” he called from the room. “If you need to be in the same room as me, you’re already behind. I move fast as lightning, honey.”

 

Chapter End Notes:
Cont'd next... had to break this chapter into two pieces. 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: wank kitchensex carsex drunksex breakupjc producerjc tabloids celebrity