Author's Chapter Notes:
Sixth Anniversary.

"Reservations are for tonight, Sam," Josh joked as he folded his arms behind me.

"Almost done," I answered, slightly oddly as I finished applying my mascara. I leaned back from the mirror. "Hair up or down?"

"It looks lovely, let's go." He moved towards the door. I picked up my brush and ran it through one last time. I grabbed my purse off the bed as I followed him out of our room and down the stairs.

Josh stopped in the door to the playroom. "We're heading out," he told Jen.

"Alright," I heard her answer.

"Don't wait up for us," he started.

"Josh!" I tried to not laugh and joined him. "Feel free to make yourself comfortable in the guest room if you're tired," I added. Jen nodded.

"Have a good night you two."

"Oh, I'm sure we will. Night!" I called as I headed for the door, Josh behind me.

"Bye Bye Bye!" Olivia yelled over her siblings. Her latest phase was watching Daddy's videos, and Bye Bye Bye was by far her favorite of them all. I couldn't make eye contact with Josh as I tried not to giggle.

We silently got into Josh's car and he pulled out.

"You had to show her the videos, didn't you?" Josh gently teased a few mintues later.

"It is rather adorable to watch her try to dance like Daddy."

"True." We lapsed back into a comfortable silence.

"It is nice to see you with your hair down for once though," Josh glanced sideways at me.

I smiled. "You mean outside of the ponytail it usually gets put into?"

"I guess," Josh replied. I watched him drive for a minute.

"I kind of miss the longer hair on you," I tell him.

"You do," Josh was unbelieving.

"I have some rather fond memories of running my fingers through it," I reply, letting my mind drift back to the nights where he would talk softly to the baby bump that was Zara. Those quiet nights at home, just the two of us, talking about anything and everything were some of the best memories from the best year of my life.

"Yeah," he said softly and I knew he was remembering too.

He pulled up to the restaurant, and there was a small crowd of paparazzi in front.  Josh sighed and mumbled an apology under his breath as he parked and talked to the valet. I carefully got out of my side and waited on the sidewalk for Josh. The photographers paid little attention to me until Josh joined me and took my hand. Then they seemed to recognize me. We ignored the requests as we headed for the front door.

"Ego alo vos," I  said. The simple Latin phrase was something I worked out for us to say to each other in public.

"Egosque vos," he replied as I taught him to. I gave him a brilliant smile as we entered the building.

The hostess seated us immediately in a quiet corner of the restaurant. We ordered our drinks and scanned the menu in silence. The waiter brought our drinks and took our order. We sat in silence for another couple of minutes, just enjoying being alone with each other.

"Six years," Josh said, looking at me.

"Hard to believe it's been that long already."

"Yeah." Josh took a sip of his water.

"How's the writing going?"

"Alright."

"That's good," I replied before changing the subject. Our food arrived and we ate in silence.

Once our meal was finished, Josh folded his hands and looked over at me.

"Where to next?"

I sat back and thought. "You mean, before your 'secret location'?" Josh shrugged.

My phone started ringing and I frowned a little as I checked the text message (Box arrived, in living room. Have a good night! - Jen) before setting it to a more silent setting.

"Everything alright?" Josh asked.

"Oh yeah, yeah. It's nothing," I smiled at him. "How about we do whatever you had planned?" I decided.

"If it's what you want," he said, a glimmer of mischief appearing in his eyes.

"It is," I answered. Josh flagged down our waiter and got our check and took care of it. I stopped in the bathroom to make sure I was still presentable before joining him at the door. He took my hand and leaned over to whisper in my ear.

"Ready?" I nodded.

We stepped out into the throng of photographers again, this time Josh let go of my hand and signed a few autographs while we waited for the valet to bring his car up. We were both surprised when someone shoved a photo that he just signed into my face, asking for my autograph.

"I..why?" I tried to ask as politely as possible.

The girl shrugged. She looked to be about my age. "Because you're an inspiration?" I glanced over at Josh, who was busy with someone else, shrugged and signed the photo. The girl thanked me and left. A video paparazzi took her place.

"Samantha! What do you think of Lance coming out of the closet?"

I couldn't help but laugh, "Are we still on that? I think it's great for him to have done so. I've never seen him happier," I replied.

"Is it true he kept it from you when you were together?"

"I am not going to divulge on what happened in the past."

"Sam, the car's here," Josh said, putting his hand on the small of my back and trying to help clear a path to the door.

He held the door for me and jogged around to the driver's side once i was in. He carefully pulled out and started heading west. We rode quietly until he pulled over on a side road and pulled out a bandana.

"Put this over your eyes," he started. I took it from him and did so, wondering what he had in store for the rest of the evening.

"How many fingers?" he asked.

"Twenty-six." I replied. He laughed and I felt the car start to move again.

We drove a few more minutes before he parked. He got out and after a minute, helped me out and held my hand as he walked us carefully up to a building. It was really quiet inside, and Josh left me for a few minutes. I could hear him talking quietly with someone else before he joined me again. We took an elevator, and as we left it, I started to get an inkling that we were in a hotel. Something about the silence and the stillness in the air that was unique to hotels. An atmosphere I knew well from my time on tour with them years earlier.

There were a few more sounds, probably the key in the slot, and a door opening before he let me take the blindfold off. I was right, it was a hotel room. But one much nicer than any I had ever stayed in before. The suite was huge, and there were pink, peach and cream rose petals sprinkled over the bed. Also in the center of the bed was a largish box.

I looked at Josh to find him studying me intently.

"It's lovely," I smiled and leaned in to kiss him. He took me into his arms and started walking me slowly backwards to the bed until my legs hit the side, never breaking our embrace.

We were both breathing hard when we finally ended the kiss. Josh nodded at the box.

"Want to open your present before we forget?" I nodded, sat down on the bed and lifted the top off the box. Inside was a gorgeous wooden box with something engraved on it. I carefully took it out and read it.

To Sam on our anniversary. September 28, 2007.

I lifted the lid on the box and was surprised to find it full of expensive imported chocolates.

"It's gorgeous, Josh. Thank you," I whispered.

"You're welcome."

"Yours is at home, it was too big to bring tonight," I smiled apologetically.

"It's fine. You're here."

"That I am."

Josh picked up a remote from the side table and I picked up my chocolates and moved them somewhere safer than the bed. As I did that, Josh switched the lamp next to the bed on and the overhead lights off. I stood next to him as he hit a button on the remote and some slow music started playing softly from a cd player nearby.

Josh offered me his hand. "Care for a dance?" he asked. I smiled, took his hand and moved to stand against him and we started to sway gently to the music. I rested my head against his shoulder, closed my eyes and enjoyed the feel of his stubble against the tiny sliver of skin where my hair parted.

The first song ended and I could not contain a small giggle as I instantly recognized the first chords of what had become our song. Where Justin should have started to sing though, it stayed instrumental, and Josh started singing the words softly. 

I joined him for the chorus, thinking back to that week six years earlier when the song really spoke to me, and the surprise on Josh's face when I asked to go first when doing our vows, only to quote one of their songs. We got to Josh's original solo part and I pulled back and kept eye contact with him, feeling the passion and intensity through both his voice and the fire burning in his eyes.

 When he got to the last line about kissing, he leaned in and we kissed. We walked together to the bed and he gently pushed me onto it and followed me as the rose petals poofed up around us and settled again as we continued showing each other just how we felt.

Chapter End Notes:

Ego alo vos means "I cherish you" in Latin.

Egosque vos means "And I, you."

The box, Sam's present to Josh:

Sam's sixth anniversary present to Josh

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl