Author's Chapter Notes:
Exposing truth

Josh grabbed me in the middle of folding laundry and dragged me into his studio.

"What is so important that I needed to come right this second?" I asked as he closed the door.

"I finally finished it," he replied.

"Finished what?"

"A song I wrote a few years ago. I finally perfected it, and I want to share it with you," he said, staring up at me from where he sat on the bench. I leaned against the equipment behind me and folded my arms and nodded at him. He turned around and started playing a slow, plaintive tune and started singing along.

I could be the first to let you know
That nothing means anything
Now I'm standing here outside your door in the pouring rain
And I can't believe
Nothing's supposed to get to me
Now I'm in this misery

I can't be with anyone

Since I felt our worlds collide
It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel
I'm changing, got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see
You ruined me for life

I will be the last to let you down

All your fears and doubts are hovering above you like a cloud
And the water's rising
Now I can't breathe
Nothing's how it's supposed to be
How did you do this to me?
Locked inside your heart shaped box

I can't be with anyone

Since I felt our worlds collide
It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel
I'm changing, got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see
You ruined me for life

I don't wanna be in love
I don't wanna feel this way
All I wanna do is leave
But all I can do is stay
Nights and days go by and I can't wait to touch your face again

I could be the first to let you know

That I can't be with anyone
Since I felt our worlds collide
It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel
I'm changing, got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see
You ruined me...

Oh, I can't be with anyone

Since I felt our worlds collide
It's like I almost died
The way you make me feel
I've been changing, got me breaking down inside
Baby can't you see
You ruined me...

I don't wanna be in love

I don't wanna feel this way
All I wanna do is leave
You ruined me for life

 I wiped away a few tears as he reached the end of the song. He stared at the keyboard for a few seconds before turning to face me.

"It's beautiful," I whisper. "When did you...?"

"Write it?" he finished for me. I nodded and he scratched his chin, thinking back.

"2000? 2001? Somewhere in there," he responded. "It could have been on Schizophrenic, but I was never happy with the melody. I picked it up again last month and....." he let it go unsaid.

I nodded, and we stared at each other for a long moment, memories hanging between us in the air, purposely being left unspoken.

"What are you going to do with it?" I asked, breaking the silence and dispelling the weight of the memories in the air. Josh shrugged.

"What do you think?"

"I haven't a clue. I've always stayed out of your career, you know that."

"But we agreed that we needed to work on us," Josh pointed out.

"We did," I agreed.

"And this is a large part of who I am, Sam. You can't keep ignoring it."

"I haven't been!" I started to get annoyed and I forced myself to calm down. "I know. I know how much of you is your music. I've always stayed out of it because it was your career. I don't want to be in the way. I support you in whatever you decide for it."

Josh studied me for a second. "But you're the music, Sam. Didn't you listen to Schizophrenic?"

"I still do, when you're off somewhere and I miss you," I admitted.

He offered me a small smile. "Listen to it again, then." He turned back to the keyboard, playing a few chords and I left the studio. I paused outside the utility room before going up to the bedroom and grabbing my iPod. I put on Josh's music and listened as I finished the load of laundry I was working on.

I had known that two of the songs had been written specifically with me in mind. Now with Josh's comment staring at me every time I closed my eyes, I listened to it again. I concentrated on the lyrics and our relationship, and started noticing a line here and there throughout the album that exposed the Josh that only I knew. I shivered, realizing what he meant by me being the music, and stared in the direction of the studio door as I comprehended my role as his muse.

Chapter End Notes:

You Ruined Me copyright JC Chasez, et all. Just barrowing the lyrics.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl