Author's Chapter Notes:
New Year's Eve

"I can't believe it's New Year's," Josh said as he brought the end of the dishes into the kitchen. I smiled at him as I started rinsing them off, trying not to get anything on my new outfit.

"I hope they leave Sandy alone. You know how they can get around new people." 

"Sam, they're guys, not dogs," Josh responded before we dissolved into laughter. 

"Jay-Cee!" Justin called from the general area of the foyer. Josh, still chuckling, went to see what J wanted while I finished up the dishes.

After starting the dishwasher, I joined everyone. I found Sandy looking a bit intimidated and went over to her.

"Oi!" I called out, getting everyone's attention. "Guys, this is Sandy. Sandy this is Pineapple, Jello, Canary, Ma, Pa, Shimmie, Ghetto Booty, Mr. Clean, Norm and I'm sure you remember Big Boy," I said, pointing to Chris, Joey, Kelly, Karen, Roy, Lance, Justin, Tyler, Heather and Josh in turn. Everyone exchanged hellos and I sat next to Sandy.

"You've got a nice house," she said after a moment.

"Oh, I don't live here. Used to though. When we moved out, we sold the house to Josh's friend and former bandmate, Lance so he'd have somewhere close by to be whenever he was in town with the twins. Lance is letting us host the party so that my parents can have the night in peace."

Sandy nodded, then asked a few more questions about what I've been up to since graduating college. I excused myself when Zara fell asleep and I went upstairs to tuck her into bed next to Brianna Fatone in her old bedroom. When I came back downstairs, someone had started music and the more tipsy of the adults had shoved the furniture to the wall and were dancing on the improvised dance floor.

Sandy hung back near the stereo, so we let her be the DJ as the night wore on. At one point, I managed to drag her out from the fringe and dance with Kelly, Heather and I for Mambo No. 5.

At ten to midnight, I cut the music for a toast.

"2005 was full of surprises and changes. Tonight, we celebrate that we lived through another 365 days and handled everything life threw our way. Let's hope that 2006 will be just as fun as 2005. To the good, the bad and the ugly in 2006!" I raised my glass of champagne and everyone followed before taking a sip.

I put another song on before giggling at the idea I just had. As the song went on, I searched Lance's music collection for the CD I knew he had (and never used). And giggled the entire time as I put the disc into the changer and programmed in the song I wanted.

I was rewarded with the reaction I wanted as the opening notes of "Bye Bye Bye" started to play. A mixture of groans and chuckles as most glanced over to see who put the song on. I shrugged and shouted over the music, "It's better than Auld Lang Syne!".

I was never sure of who started it, but by the end of the song, we were all singing along and doing the hand motions to the dance by the end of the song.

As midnight neared, we switched the TV on to watch the ball drop. As it reached the bottom, we whished each other a happy new year. Josh pulled me to him and I fell into his lap as he sat on the sofa and we spent the next five minutes wishing each other the world.

When we came up for air, I decided to go for my traditional walk. I put on my shoes and grabbed my coat. Josh joined me for a stroll around our former backyard. We walked in silence, hand in hand.

"I can't believe you turn thirty this year," I say as we reach the back half of the yard.

"I know. Time keeps going by so fast."

 I nodded and looked up at the mostly cloudy sky.

"Penny for your thoughts," Josh said.

I smiled. "Didn't you know the price went up fifteen minutes ago?" Josh laughed and I sighed. "I'm just thinking about what I said on my birthday. About dedicating my year to the music, to enjoy the ride it takes me on. And everything that's happened since then."

"Mmhm. What about it?"

"That it's been worth it. I'm going to renew that right now. I don't want this journey to end. I love it and I love you." I stopped and faced him. He turned to face me.

"I love you, Sam. If renewing that promise is what you want to do, then do it." He searched my face in the dark light from the house. "I know how you feel. I went through it writing Schizophrenic. You let me go then, and I had to let you go this September when you had to go help your grandma."

"I just knew I had to let you go. I could see the raw music, the creative current in your eyes. Music is who you are. Just as I'm a writer. It's part of who we are." I said, watching the little I could see of his face in the half-light. He leaned in and placed a kiss on my forehead. 

"Must be why we're so good together. We have the same creativity in us," he said as we started walking again.

"Mmm. And we both know what it's like to need to get it out, let it out for the world to see." I sensed Josh nod.

We walked the rest of the way in silence, quietly rejoining the party. Lance cornered me for a dance. I laughed as Nickelback came on.

"What are you doing with Nickelback?"

He shrugged. "Must have picked it up somewhere."

As the song wound down, I told him he had to sing whatever came on next, and started to laugh as "Stacy's Mom" started. He threw a fake dark glance at Sandy (still hanging near the stereo) and started singing along.

His voice could still send a chill down my spine. Even though I could have matched him, note for note, once upon a time.

As the party started to wind down, Josh, more than a little tipsy, and I started flinging lyrics back and forth between us. It ended with a complete giggle meltdown as he started to quote his own songs.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl