Author's Chapter Notes:
News from home.

I tried to juggle Olivia and a bag of groceries as I picked up the phone to check the caller ID. My mother. Sighing, I answered it.

"Mom, I don't have the time to talk right now. I've just got-"

"Your father has cancer." Mom interjected. I stopped dead in my tracks. 

"When did this happen? What kind of cancer?"

"Well, he was outside doing yard work and he thought he pulled a muscle in his back and took it easy for a few days. When it didn't get better, I took him to the doctor and it turns out he had broken his hip."

I sighed as I put Olivia down on the sofa for a nap before retreating to the kitchen, the bag of groceries forgotten as I listened.

"When was this?" I asked.

"Beginning of October, I think." So right after I left. Of course.  "They've been running tests on him for the last month. Last week they gave up trying to find the original culprit."

"Original culprit? Mom, it's cancer."

"I know, sweetie. But it's everywhere and they were trying to find where it started and-"

"It's not a good outlook." I finished the sentence for her.

"No, I'm afraid not. The doctors are saying six months if he's lucky."

"I'm sorry, Mom."

"Thanks, honey. Do you want to talk to him?"

"Sure." I waited as she handed the phone to Dad.

"Hello?"

"Daddy," the old word came from my lips and I heard my voice quiver a little as I said it.

"Samantha."

"How are you feeling?" I asked, trying not to break down.

"Alright at the moment, how are you? How are the kids?"

"We're all fine. Celine and Scottie are adjusting to school very well, Aydin and Aurora are still with Lance, Zara's in a part time preschool already, and Olivia's doing just great."

"That's good. I'm really proud of you, Sam."

"Thanks, Dad. Look, I've got to run, I've got to pick up Zara from school and start dinner. Love you."

"Okay. Love you too, Sam."

We hung up. I put the food away before maneuvering a sleeping toddler back into the car for the ride to the school. I called Lance and asked if he'd watch the girls for an hour or so, I had to talk to Josh and I knew he wouldn't be home until late.

 The girls with Lance, I headed to the studio I knew Josh was at. The receptionist directed me to the one he was in, and I waited in clear sight of Josh while he finished recording the demo he was working on.

"What brings you here?" he asked as he came out of the room.

"I need to go back home for a few days."

"Oh. And this sudden need to go home?"

"My mother called today. Dad's got cancer and it's not looking good."

Josh's mouth dropped open at the news and he quickly pulled me into a hug, stroking my hair gently.

"When do you want to go?" Josh asked quietly.

"As soon as I can get things set up. They're saying six months if he's lucky, but I've got a feeling he's got less than that."

Josh pulled away enough to see my face. "Go book a flight. I'll take care of everything here."

I shook my head. "I'll get it done." I kissed his cheek and pulled away. "Dinner will be in the fridge when you get home. I'll be in the bed. I've got to go, I told Lance I'd only be about an hour and I need to beat the bus home." Josh kissed my forehead and I returned to my car to head back to the house.

That evening after homework was finished and dinner eaten, I called around, hiring the sitter/nanny that Lance recommended and used for the twins, booking my ticket to Ohio for the next evening and things I knew needed to be done before I left.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl