Author's Chapter Notes:
Four Years.

"I love you," I said as Josh and I rocked back and forth on the porch swing over looking my grandmother's backyard. We were grabbing a few moments to ourselves while Celine, Scottie, Zara and Olivia were playing in the bedroom behind us and my grandmother was taking a walk.

"I love you too. I miss you." Josh answered.

"I miss you too."

We rocked quietly for a few minutes.

"A few more days and I can leave, I think."

"Oh?"

"My aunt is going to pop in on her from time to time, and call a few times a week. My mother too, since they're back. God, that feels weird knowing they're home and not just for a day or so before going off again." My father had lost his job a few weeks before, and mom had gotten a promotion that meant she didn't have to travel all the time.

"Yeah." Josh agreed.

"Talk about timing. I've spent seven years wishing they'd notice me, stay home long enough that they could meet their grandchildren and once they finally do, I'm packing house and moving three thousand miles away!" I burst out.

Josh sat quietly, knowing that as soon as I was done with the mini tirade, I'd be done with the subject. I sighed and rested my head on his shoulder.

"So many times I thought I held it in my hands but just like grains of sand, love slipped through my fingers..." I whispered, causing Josh to chuckle.

"I don't care what tomorrow brings as long as we're together my heart is telling me that you could be my meant to be..." he sang softly.

I smiled and squeezed his hand, and he returned the squeeze.

"You know, the guys never believed that those were our original vows," Josh said.

"It spoke to me back then. It still does."

"Of all the songs and poems in the world, you had to pick one of our songs."

"It fit how I was feeling that week. I had to remind myself to breathe all the time. I'm surprised I didn't end up in the hospital since every time I looked at you my heart would skip a beat."

"Did it really?"

"Still does sometimes, if I'm honest." I smiled and looked up at him. He smiled back and we sat together in a comfortable silence until the kids started to fight and it was time for him to take them back home.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl