Author's Chapter Notes:
Graduation.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I walked off the stage, diploma in hand. I had actually done it. Taken enough classes, done all the coursework and not fall off the stage when receiving one of the most important papers I will ever own. I searched the crowd, looking for my husband as I walked back to my seat. He was beaming at me from ear to ear as he held Zara in his lap.

I sat down, not paying too much attention to the ceremony. I let my thoughts wander to the plans for the summer. Now that I wasn't tied down by classes, Josh and I had planned a whole one month vacation in Florida. We were flying down tomorrow to Orlando, where we'll start off for a few days visiting with the guys that are still down there, hitting Disney World with the kids, and just enjoying life.

The ceremony finally ended and everyone started to leave. I got to the front doors, where Josh and I decided to meet to find him trying to blend into the wall, which wasn't going well with a fussy Zara in his arms. I managed my way over to them through the crowd.

"Hey Zara! Mommy's here." I say as I take her off Josh, handing him my diploma. Zara rests her head against my shoulder and starts sucking on her fingers, a sure sign of being overly tired.

"Just a few more minutes and we can go home, sweetie," I soothe, rubbing her back lightly.

"Incoming," Josh mutters as he quickly switches his wedding ring to his right hand. I take my diploma back as two girls come up to us, giggling nervously.

"Ohmigod!" one bursts out. Josh smiles politely at them, waiting to hear what they wanted to say.

"CanIhaveyourautograph?" the second one asks.

"Sure. Do you have something for me to sign?" The girls break into hysterical giggles again and the first one produces a permanent marker from her purse.

"Sign my arm, please?" she pulled her sleeve up, offering it to Josh.

"Um," Josh blinked.

"Oh, go ahead, JC. It's not everyday there's a bonafide celebrity around these parts. Give her the memory of a lifetime!" I say, shifting Zara's weight to keep her on my arm. She had leaned back to watch as the girls arrived.

"Alright, I guess." he said and took her arm in his hand to keep it from bouncing as he signed it.

"Is that your baby?" the second one asked me, waiting her turn.

"Yes."

"She's very cute."

"Thank you."

Josh finished signing the first girl's arm and took the small notebook from the second girl and signed it for her. They thanked him and went off, giggling in their excitement.

"Sorry about that," Josh said as we started towards the car.

"It's nothing, Josh. Comes with the territory."

We reached the car and I got Zara into her seat with minimal fuss. I went around to the passenger side and removed my gown before getting in, tossing it and my cap into the backseat.

"So, where to for dinner, Mrs. Graduate?"

I lean back into the seat and sigh. "Take out is fine. Zara's too tired to go out, and I don't feel like cooking."

"The usual then?" I nodded as he backed out and headed for the exit.

We hit the road, going towards our favorite take-out place and Josh chuckles.

"Someone's worn out." he said, glancing in the rearview mirror.

"She asleep?"

"Yeah. Before we even get to the street almost."

We drove in silence for a few minutes before I start giggling.

"What?"

"You take great care to change your ring to the other hand to prevent things going downhill with the fans."

"Yeah?"

"You forgot to take the diaper bag off your shoulder when those girls were there."

Josh sighed.

"I don't think they noticed too much. For all they know, I'm Heather, and you hung out with your niece for the ceremony."

"The one asked you about Zara though." he hit his hand against the steering wheel. "And she looks too much like me to be my niece."

"So what are you saying. We're going to cancel the trip because there is the slightest possibility that we've been found out? So what? We'd have been in the news long before this if we hadn't decided on one of the states where paparazzi  are few and far in between. I could have easily just transferred to a school in Florida, or LA or wherever. And it's not like you're out touring and releasing albums anyways. Out of sight, out of mind. It's how it works. Nobody paid me any mind when I 'disappeared' suddenly from hanging out with you guys everywhere after I had married Lance. Everyone just assumed we had broken up and he'd gotten too busy to date. And now since you guys are kaput as a functioning band, if you're not Justin, they don't really care!"

Josh got quiet and I stared out the window, trying to figure out where the sudden bust had come from.

We arrived at the restaurant and Josh parked.

"Your usual?" No mistaking his tone, he was upset.

"Josh.." I whispered a plea.

"Yes or no."

"Yes."

He went in and I leaned against the window frame and watched as he placed the order and sat in the waiting area.

 

I jumped when his phone rang. I picked it up and answered it upon seeing it was Lance calling.

"Hey."

"Oh, hey Sam. I was just calling to check what time you guys are getting in tomorrow?"

"Oh, I honestly don't know. Josh made all the plans. I was busy with finals."

"Oh yeah, I forgot to say congratulations."

"Thanks, Lance. I'll have Josh call you back with the times."

We hung up and I went back to staring out the window at nothing. It wasn't long before Josh came back to the car with the food.

"I'm sorry." I say as he gets back in.

"I know. I'm sorry too."

"For what?"

"For being overprotective. I don't want anything to happen to you or Zara. I've seen how crazy the fans can get if they want."

I put a hand on his arm before speaking. "They're going to find out sooner or later. I was fine hanging in the background with  Lance and while I'm pregnant and have an infant or was in school. Zara's getting older, I'm out of school, I have more time on my hands to be out with you. I can't hide in the house, in the car, in the back my whole life. Neither can Zara or Aydin or Aurora."

"I know. I just don't want Zara or any future kids to grow up in the spotlight either."

"And they won't. You're a great father. Not just to Zara, but Aydin, Aurora, Celine and Scottie too."

"You think so?"

"I do."

The rest of the ride home was silent. We ate our take out while finishing packing, calling Lance back with the times, and after putting Zara down a little early, spent some quality time together before also turning in early.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl