Author's Chapter Notes:
Anniversary

"Everyone is seated and ready," Mel says as she comes back to me. "You look gorgeous, I can't believe you had a baby only a month ago!"

I smile my thanks. "I can't believe that I'm renewing my vows with Josh. I can't believe we've been married for a whole year already." I pushed aside the curtain, peeking out at everybody.

We had been planning this for the last two months, and it felt even more right when, just the week before while at the local park with the kids, my wedding ring fell off my finger and we couldn't find it. Josh went and bought a brand-new ring to replace it and had been hiding it from me.

Mel smiled as I turned back to her, shaking slightly as I took my white and pink rose bouquet from her.

"Why am I so nervous? I'm already married to him!"

Mel shrugged, gave me a hug and followed Kelly down the aisle created by the chairs. I gave myself one last glance over, smoothing my dress out - unbelievably, the same dress I wore exactly a year before. I checked the veil attached to my gorgeous tiara and stepped out of our back door.

Everyone stood and watched as I walked towards Josh. His eyes never left mine as he watched me walk to him. When I reached the end of the aisle, I handed my bouquet to Mel and took Josh's hand as we took the last few steps together. I offered TJ and Joey a quick smile before the ceremony started.

After a brief description of what marriage means, Josh and I exchanged our own vows, a mix of our original and new ones. Then came the time to exchange our rings again. My new ring was a pink heart shaped stone with three small round diamonds on each side on a silver band.  I placed his old silver band back on his finger. The officiate said a few more words before we were allowed to kiss.

After the ceremony, we set out the buffet and the DJ started to play the dance music. After most people had finished eating, Josh and I shared the first dance, and people started joining us on the dance floor.

A few dances in, Scott asked if he could cut in. I nodded my consent and Josh went to sit the rest of the dance out. Scott took my hand and we started to sway to the music.

"This reminds me of prom," I commented. We both laughed.

"I don't think I ever congratulated you."

"Hmm?"

"On your marriage. You seem happy with him."

"Thank you. I am blissfully happy. Disney-movie happy." I smiled, showing I was joking a little with the last comment.

"How did you end up with him? I thought you were dating the other one."

"Lance?"

Scott nodded.

I shrugged. "Lance and I didn't work out. Josh was there for me when it fell apart. I was there for him when his relationship ended. We just kind of...fell into it."

We danced quietly for a short while.

"I'm sorry about what happened between us. It wasn't entirely my idea."

"Oh, I know. I know how your family works. I know what your mother thought of me. The mistake was giving her the opportunity to do it."

Scott nodded.

The song ended and we parted. I joined Josh at the drink station, gracefully taking the soda he offered me. We sat down at our table and watched our family and friends having a good time.

Before long, Karen was bringing Zara to us. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I think she's hungry and we're out of bottles." I took Zara and slipped into the house to feed her in peace.

Zara fed, changed and put down for bed, I changed into more comfortable clothes before heading back out to the party (with a stop to hand the baby monitor over to the sitter). Almost immediately upon returning, Lance swooped in and asked for a dance. I was surprised by the offer, and took it.

As we hit the dance floor, the song ended and "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" started. I stopped dead in my tracks and stared at Lance.

"You set me up!" Lance gave me his best 'who, me?' looks and I started laughing, not really caring too much that he set me up to dance to this particular song.

I let him lead me into the middle of the floor and we started to dance, the distance between us clearly screaming 'friends'.

"Wouldn't want to dance with you to any other song anyways. This song always did make me think of you."

I smiled and we looked at each other for what felt like the first time. His usually vibrant green eyes look like they've been through the ringers.

"I'm sorry I hurt you, Lance."

"I didn't ask you to dance to hear that, but thank you. I'm sorry I hurt you. I deserved what you did. I'm sorry I dragged you into the marriage into the first place. We obviously were not ready for it."

"You don't have to apologize for it. I dragged you into it, in the end, remember? And anyways, if we had never gotten married, Josh and I probably never would have ended up together. So thank you for the experience I needed to get where I needed to go."

The song ended and we stay where we are, dancing in silence for a minute.

"I still love you," Lance says.

"And I still love you, as the father of two of my children. I'll always love you for that."

Lance smiled and gave me a quick peck on the forehead. It seemed we were on our way of mending our friendship.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl