Author's Chapter Notes:
A scare, a decision.

My hands shook as I did the test. I kept hoping and praying that it would come up negative. While the minutes started to drag, I cursed the weekend in Orlando. We had been careful, but even careful wasn't foolproof.

We had officially moved into the new house, though with people converting half of the basement into a studio and boxes all over, it didn't feel like home just yet.

Exams were coming up, so the last thing I needed was a pregnancy. I wanted to do this right and take my time to build my marriage up before adding the stress children add to it.

The test finally ready, I went from the master bath into the bedroom. I tried to unpack a box of clothes but soon abandoned it to watch the clock. When the time was up, I hurried into the bathroom to read the results.

I sighed with relief as the test said negative. "Quit scaring me like that." I murmured at my abdomen.

"Hey Sam? Do you think we -" he stopped as he found me in the bathroom with the test still in hand. He blinked, and I could tell his thoughts were racing through his mind.

"It's negative."

"Negative."

"I'm stressed. It's late, I panicked. It happens."

He's quiet for a moment, "Do you want any?"

"With you, you mean?" He nods and I blush slightly. "I do. Someday. But two is enough for now."

"Four."

I shake my head. "Legally I only have two and you know that."

"Isn't there something you could do about that?"

"About Scott? I could fight it in court, but I'm not very likely to win."

 Josh pulled me into a hug. "Oh Sam, you're the best mother on the planet."

I snorted. "I walked out on my infant twins just two months ago. Divorced their father and married his best friend only a month later. Not exactly what the best mother on the planet would do."

"You were doing what was best for them."

"How is walking out on them the best thing for them?"

"You were taking care of yourself. You're still in their lives, it's not like you just walked away and didn't look back."

"You mean like my first two children?"

"We both know that's not the case, Sam. I know you miss them, all four of them. I see it in your face every time you look at the twins. I saw it in the way you would sometimes rub your baby bump when you were pregnant with them."

I sniffed and looked up at him, "You saw that?"

"I did. And it was heartbreaking to see you so sad. Sam, let me help you. I can hire lawyers for you - the best ones out there. We can fight for your right to see your own children. And we'll win."

"I...I.. I don't know."

"Sam, they'll be how old? Two? Three? They're getting to the age where they'll start to notice you're not there. Do you really want them growing up, only hearing whatever Scott and his family will tell them?"

"No. Okay, let's do this. It's past time I did fight for them."

"I'll call them on Monday." I nodded and we went our separate ways to continue making the house a home.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl