Author's Chapter Notes:
Josh.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I ask JC. He's lounging on the couch in the living room. He looks away from the tv and I watch his eyes flick from my face down and then back up. I look down at what I'm wearing - my robe only tied about halfway, my undies and my pedi sandals. I put up a finger and flee back into my room.

"Sam? What's going on?" Nicole asks over the phone. remove my robe, grabbing for my flannel pajama bottoms, carefully sliding them over my feet.

"JC is just sitting on the couch! I just walked out there with my robe half undone and only my undies underneath! Hang on," I whisper into the phone before putting it down to put my cami top on. Picking up the phone I can hear smothered giggles at the other end. "Okay, I got to go. Apparently my one night off isn't going to be the spa night I planned."

After hanging up, I put my robe back on (tied tightly) and head back into the living room.

"Alright, what's going on? I mean, you did track me down and arrive here pretty unannounced and all. If this is about Lance, I'm not going back to him."

"Bobbie kicked me out."

I started laughing. "She kicked you out? Wasn't it your place to begin with?"

"Sort of. We never officially lived together, but her place was more like a home than mine so..." he shrugs.

"So rather than just going to your own home, you travel oh, about 900 miles away and stand on my doorstep?" He gives me a bit of a look.

"We had a Make-a-Wish up this way today. And now six weeks before we have to be back in the studio."

"Whatever. Back to the part where you're at my house?"

"Well, I was kind of hoping to chill here for a few days."

I shook my head. "Nuh-uh. I'm finally starting to move on. I've got classes - I've started college, did you know - and I've finally found a job, I'm touching base with my friends again after such a long time. Last thing I need is something like you coming in and messing up everything..."

The look on his face is devastating. I close my eyes and sigh.

"Do you still feel the same way for me?" I ask, keeping my eyes closed, not really wanting to know the answer.

"I was there for you last month, wasn't I?"

I looked at him. He stared back.

"If you want to know if I still love you, than yes, I still do."

I rub my face, thinking it over.

"Fine, you can stay. For no longer than a week. You can have the floor in my room so Mel doesn't get upset. Mind, you have to share it with Gabby."

"Thanks, Sam. It means a lot." I head to the linen closet and get him a couple of spare blankets and then into my room where I toss him my extra pillow. He set up his bed area, which attracted Gabby and she curled up on his pillow and watched as he pet her a few times and stood up, chuckling as she watched him leave.

We settled in for the night not too long after that. I got up with my alarm, and got ready for class. I left a note on the mirror above the dresser that JC could use the bed if he wanted while I was gone, along with my cell number if he needed to reach me.

Returning that afternoon after classes were over, I found him stretched out on the bed, Gabby at his feet, reading one of my textbooks.

"I meant to ask last night - what are you studying?"

"General studies. Not sure exactly what I want to do. I never excelled
at one thing, just generally good at a lot of things." He nods and
puts my book back on the bedside table.

"Cool."

I set about putting my stuff away and found a small bag I nearly forgot about.

"Oh! This is for you. I need it back at the end of the week, but while you're here you can have it." I tossed it to him and he opened it to find the spare key I had made that day.



The next day he was gone when I got back from work. He sauntered in around dinner time and gave me a small bag.

"A thank you for letting me stay here this week."

I opened it to find a gorgeous ring - a slightly purple star shaped stone set in a silver setting.

"JC, you didn't need to. I mean really...."

"I think I might buy a house out this way. Nice and quiet and away from the guys." I looked up from the ring.

"Oh? Something tells me you're more than thinking."

He smiles, "Okay, I'm looking. But don't tell the guys."

I laughed, "Like the others would talk to me. Or I them, as the case may be."

"You'll have to talk to him eventually. He really wants you to be in your children's life."

"I'm sure he does," I answer quietly, "but I need time to heal. I... I need to know who I am. I'm 21 and have four kids and one failed marriage behind me already."

Jc gave a sad smile and the moment passed. I got back to studying and the night passed peacefully.

Sunday went pretty much the same as Saturday and the week progresses much the same except for the addition of my classes in the morning.

Thursday night rolls around, and I make the time to watch my favoriteshow (CSI:) before heading to bed. JC had gone already (Luckily Mel could care less about it "as long as you two don't keep me up all night" to which I blushed and she laughed) and settling down on the bed, I watched the scene of him sleeping on the floor with Gabby tucked tightly under his arm. I attempted to read a chapter in my English assignment, but gave up after a while, instead turning off the light and attempting sleep.

I suddenly sat up, unable to sleep. I watched as JC and my dog slept peacefully on the floor when I suddenly realize that I'm smiling. I try to stop smiling while I think about it, but burst into a grin again.

"Oh my god," I whisper. I feel my heart skip a beat at the realization. Sometime within the past six days, I had fallen in love with JC.

I slide out of bed and kneel next to him. He looked angelic with his hair spread across the pillow. I lean in and place a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Goodnight, Josh. I love you," I murmur as quietly as I can. JC gets a small smile on his face and rolls over.

I went back to bed, and fell asleep nearly immediately.

 

Friday went as the rest of the week with the exception of feeling like I was walking on air.


JC was just as happy when he returned to the house.

"Hey"

"JC-" we started at the same time. We both stop and laugh. I wave for him to continue.

He smiles before continuing. "I found a house. I put in an offer today! I wanted to give this back to you," he pulled the spare key from his pocket and offered it to me.

"I'll get a hotel a bit closer to the house and stay there until it's approved."

I try not to let my face fall but I must have failed as he asked me what was wrong.

I look down, gathering my courage and then look him in the eye.

"I just wanted to say you could stay here until your house is ready." I mentally kicked myself. JC raised an eyebrow. I take a deep breath and force myself to continue.

"I insist on it. I really don't want you to leave, actually," he looks ready to respond but I hold up my hand. "Let me finish or I'll never get it out." a deep breath, a small sigh, "I don't want you to leave because I love you." I take the tiny step needed to close the distance between us and brush my lips against his. He doesn't shove me away so I apply some pressure, turning the brush into a gentle, chaste kiss. As I move to pull away, he grabs my elbows and pulls me in for another kiss. His tongue licks along my bottom lip and I allow him access. When he finally let go, I felt weak in the knees and he had to hold me steady for a moment.
I get my bearings and place my hands on his chest.

"I need to take this slow. I can't, I'm not ready for more yet. It's only-" JC quieted my babble by kissing the tip of my nose.

"We'll go as slow as you need. I've waited almost a year for you, I'm not going anywhere."

I hugged him. "I love you, JC."

He smiled, "Something I'll never tire of hearing. I love you, Sam."

 That night I let him share my bed. Waking up in his arms the next morning sent  (good) shivers down my spine.


That Saturday evening, we were chilling in the living room, watching a movie on tv. JC kept fiddling with my hand, tracing the lines on it, making shapes on the back of it and massaging it gently.

A commercial came on and I stretched. Something on the hand he had been fiddling with bumped against my other hand and I brought my hands down and found a ring on my left ring finger. A very gorgeous ring. It had a nice size diamond in the center, and four little diamond chips on each side, forming a square. I felt my mouth drop open and my thoughts raced a mile a minute as I looked at the ring.

I finally look at JC.

"I will." The two words come out barely audible and I kiss him.

"Sam-"

"How's Monday? It only takes twenty minutes to get the paperwork-"

"Sam." I shut up. "Taking it slow. Sound familiar?"

"Friday then." He gives me a look. "I'm serious. Ten minutes away from you is an eternity."

"Do I have to remind you that this time last month-"

"This time last month I was getting my divorce papers in the mail. Look- we know each other better than anyone else, right?" he nods once, "And I know people will think I, or we,  are crazy, but I know that I have never felt this way about anyone before. Not even Lance. Everything in my body is telling me to do this. I love you, and I know that we'll be okay. So, Friday?"

We decided on Friday and immediately set forward with the plans. I let Mel know that I'd be moving out soon, and JC and I skipped a class on Wednesday to go to get the legalities set for Friday. Through the week, I would watch JC doing mundane things - driving, brushing his hair, tying his shoes - and I knew that this whirlwind romance was the right path for me - for us. It felt natural and we finally fit together like puzzle pieces. It was like we worked hard at keeping our feelings at bay for so long - even if I didn't know it at the time - that finally allowed to be free they just exploded.

Friday finally arrived and as soon as my class let out, I was out the door and in my car, on the way home. Once home, I rushed through getting ready and finally got to my dress. After dressing and a few final touch ups to my hair, it was a quick stop at the store to buy a single pink rose.

Jc’s rental car was already parked, along with a few others as I pulled onto the grass and parked. I called JC as I shut the engine off.

"We're ready whenever you are." I hung up, picked up the rose and with a sigh, walked down the path to the secluded beach where I knew he was waiting.
As I came around the last bend, JC's smile brightened. I returned the smile and continued walking to where he stood, halfway between the path and the water. The officiate was standing a few steps away with his back to the setting sun. Two legal witnesses stood off to one side, watching the events quietly.

I reached JC and took his hand and faced the officiate. He started the ceremony. We exchanged vows we made up at the moment as well as the traditional ones. The actual ceremony was quick and before he said 'kiss the bride', we signed the papers, making us husband and wife. After that, we sealed the union with a kiss.
 As the others left, JC and I walked down to the water's edge and watched the sun fully set as the lake water gently lapped against our bare feet. Once the sun had set, we started our way back to our cars. As we walked along the path holding hands, JC hummed a nameless tune.


We stayed at a hotel that night, getting to know each other in a brand new way.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers love firsttime nsasync triangles daddyjc debutsync celebritysync postsync daddyl originalcharacters marriedjc marriedl