Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm trying to learn the layout of NYC via Google, so if  you know the city well and the locations don't exactly make sense, just ignore that and go with it. :)

It had been much easier than it should have been for Joshua to find out where Evangeline was staying. Apparently she'd been out causing quite the commotion in New York, and handing out her temporary address willy-nilly. Now he understood why Queen Kiana had asked him to look after her. Carelessness like that was not only dangerous for Eve, but for every vampire she associated with. While the General didn't exactly care for Simon, that didn't mean he wanted to see him hurt or kidnapped for some coo-coo human experiment.

It was Friday night and Joshua had been awake for hours, impatiently waiting for the sun to set. Sandra was still in her room asleep as the last rays of the sun were blocked by the rolling hills behind his home. He picked out his usual uniform of black slacks and a black shirt, but this time he pulled out a black suit jacket and tie to go along with it. He spent a few additional minutes in the shower and even went the extra mile and sprayed on cologne.

By the time he left his room and headed upstairs, Sandra was already in the dining room working on her chores. He kept two swords on display by the door -mostly in case of emergency, but also for decor- and she was sharpening them on a gray slab of stone. Her blonde hair was back in her daily ponytail, and he imagined that if she were still alive her cheeks would be flushed pink by how hard she was rubbing the metal against the stone. Sparks flashed around her, falling to the floor.

Joshua stepped forward, reaching around her to take the sword from her hands. Apparently Sandra had been too entranced in her work to hear his approach, because she let out a scream and whirled around. Her newly formed fangs were extended and she growled as her body coiled to strike. She looked truly frightening. But as quickly as she'd gotten into position, she got out of it and dropped to her knees on the hardwood floor.

"Master, I'm so sorry," she blurted quickly. "I didn't hear you. I'm so sorry."

Joshua extended his hand, pulling her up from the floor.

"Don't apologize. It gave me an opportunity to realize how well I've taught you. Though, if you had been more in tune with your senses you would have heard me approaching."

"Yes, my Lord. I apologize."

Joshua turned to her, giving her a stern look.

"Don't apologize," he said again. "Learn."

Sandra nodded and Joshua turned to the stone slab on the table. He raised the sword, examining the edge. Just as he suspected, there were nicks.

"You needn't be so forceful with the sword. It dates back to the Dark Ages, older than you, and even older than I. It knows its purpose; it simply needs us to help it along."

As he spoke he began to sharpen the sword, gliding it gently down the edge of the stone. The scrapping of the metal echoed softly as he pulled it slowly from handle to tip. Then he reached over, taking a silent Sandra's hand and pulling her to his side. He put the navy blue handle in her palm, and covered her fingers with his. He guided the sword along the stone again, painstakingly slowly.

"Feel the difference?" He asked. "The vibration is smoother, because there is little resistance. The sword sharpens itself; you're merely helping it keep balance."

Sandra nodded, trying to focus on the sword in her hands, absorbing Joshua's technique. But as hard as she tried to focus, she couldn't. His head was just beyond her shoulder as he leaned over her, his melodic voice seeping into her ear. Her keen senses where totally tuned into him now. She could feel the coolness of his torso as it pressed into her back and the roughness of his worn fingers as he held her hand. The cherry bark drops that had been mixed into his cologne wafted in the air around her. Sandra had to fight the urge to relax and lean back against him.

"Understand?"

His question pulled her back into reality and she realized he had stopped moving.

"Yes, Master." Her voice was shaky. "I understand."

His hand left hers and she immediately felt the emptiness in the space where he had been.

"I have to go into the city again tonight, and I am not sure when I will return."

It wasn't the first time he'd had to leave Sandra indefinitely, he did it often as a working General who had to travel the East Coast to keep order. But it was the first time he'd done it on such short notice.

"My Lord?"

"Nothing is wrong," he assured. "I'm doing a favor to the Queen. A trusted friend to the Royal Court has come into town and is in need of protection."

Sandra's brow furrowed.

"What male of worth wouldn't be able to defend himself?"

"It is a female, and she has no suitor."

The young girl's eyes widened ever so slightly as she sucked in a shallow breath.

"A female?"

Joshua nodded, pulling his car keys from the hook on the wall in the entry way and a black wool coat from the closet. Sandra watched him with curious eyes as he gathered his things. Usually when he left on business he was stony and emotionless, focused and determined. But this time he seemed nervous and excited. She wished her mind reading capabilities were more perfected so she could understand what his interest was in this royal "favor". She looked down at his feet and took in the expensive black loafers. She knew then this wasn't as much about business as he was making it out to be. Loafers were for play, boots were for work. However, it was probably good that she couldn't read him because he'd undoubtly sense it, and she knew he wouldn't appreciate the spying.

"I will return when I can. It should not be more than a couple of days."

"Yes, my Lord."

She followed him to the door to the garage. He pressed the button causing the large entry door to slide open, and he turned back to look at her. She grew nervous as his eyes roamed over her, taking in the ponytail, the uniform, and the beautiful pale face forever frozen in the prime of her youth.

"You will be fine," he said.

He left her, getting into the Mercedes and backing out of the garage. She wanted to tell him to be careful, but there was no point in saying that to a General.

 

~*~

Evangeline lived in Gotham City, uptown New York, in a basement that had been remodeled into an apartment. He could tell from the outside that the few small windows barely above ground level had been boarded over with thick wooden boards to keep the light out. Taking the concrete steps two at a time he made way down to her front door, and tried the knob. It was unlocked. Pushing it open he was met with a dark room, occupied by a red velvet sofa and a simple oak coffee table. An old television sat at one end of the room, and an antique stereo in the corner. A tall blue vase holding a damp umbrella sat by the door.

The record player was on, quietly singing the jazzy tunes of Ferdinand "Jelly Roll" Morton. The whole thing reminded him of the days of prohibition, fat cat gangsters, and the short time he'd spent with Harvey John Bailey just before he joined up with George "Machine Gun" Kelly. Queen Kiana hadn't been too pleased to hear about his involvement in that.

Tuning out the music, Joshua could make out the faint sound of a brush. The rustling of the bristles as they passed through the hair were distinct. He had brushed Sabina's hair hundreds of times, feeling the fine strands slip between his fingers. She would sit on the floor, between his knees, and lean against his leg as he'd work from ends to roots and remove all the knots and debris from her work during the day. It was a sound he'd always remember.

Passing through the living room there was a small kitchen to the left, a tiny bathroom to the right, and a bedroom at the end. He followed the noise into the bedroom. A small lamp was sitting on the vanity, casting a dim glow through the room. Evangeline was sitting there, running the brush through her waves. Her reflection was strong in the mirror, and her lips were once again painted red.

Joshua took a step into the room and the floor creaked beneath his feet. Evangeline moved like lightening, one moment she was sitting calmly in her chair, the next she was in front of him, her fangs elongated and her eyes dark as night. She hissed as her hand shot out to strike him, and he grabbed her wrist just before she made contact. She looked startled for a moment and then all of her features relaxed.

"General, you of all people should know not to sneak up on a vampire."

That was the second time he'd done that so far tonight. Apparently his mission was to test the reflexes of every vampire he came in contact with.

"I'm sorry. I thought you'd hear me when I first entered."

Eve sighed and turned back to her mirror, continuing to fix her hair.

"I was off in my own world I guess. What are you doing here anyway? How did you know where I was?"

The General in him woke up, and he took on an authoritative stance.

"It was entirely too easy for me find you. I called two male vampires and it would appear that everyone in the district knows where you are. Do you realize what kind of danger you are putting yourself in?"

He didn't have to read her mind to know that she wanted to roll her eyes.

"Sorry, General," she said. "Next time I go out I'll try not to have a good time and invite a few friends over. But, that still doesn't explain what you're doing here."

"The Queen asked me to come. She's worried about your safety while you're here in New York. She asked that I stick close to you."

The brush stopped and Eve looked over at him.

"Like a babysitter?"

See, he wasn't the only one who thought this whole ordeal sounded strange.

"Like a bodyguard."

Eve giggled.

"General, I told you before that I am capable of taking care of myself. Besides, most humans would rather run away from me than try to hurt me."

Joshua did not speak, but looked around her temporary bedroom. The paint on the walls was chipped, and the bed was covered in a cream quilt with an old antique doll resting by the pillows. That struck him as strange.

"General? Are you listening?"

Joshua's attention snapped back to Eve.

"What?"

"I said you don't have to stay, I'm perfectly safe."

"Ability to fly does not make you safe," he said. "Who knows what you'd do if someone attacked you in a place with a ceiling."

"That's simple. I'd throw my drink in their face. Seriously, General, go enjoy your evening. I'll be fine."

She turned back to her mirror and continued her brushing, expecting him to leave. A moment passed before she looked back at him, and for the first time she got the impression that he was set on staying.

"Seriously?" She questioned.

Joshua shrugged, palms up toward the roof.

"The Royal Court insists."

That was a clever way of saying 'the Queen is making me and there's nothing I can do about it'. But secretly he had no intention of leaving, whether the Queen had ordered it or not. He had the chance to spend time with this woman who had bewitched him, and he was going to take it. Eve rolled her eyes and the last few strokes of her brush were rather aggressive.

"I'm going to kill Kiana for this."

Joshua smirked. He'd never heard anyone freely refer to the Queen by her first name before. The two must have shared a friendship that ran incredibly deep. While Eve finished her priming -spritzing on perfume and dabbing powder onto her nose- Joshua's eyes scanned the room again, and once again they focused on the bed. Once again, it struck him as odd.

"What?" Eve questioned, pulling a fur shawl from the small closet. "Never seen a little girl's doll before?" She teased.

"I've seen a doll, but I've never seen a vampire with a bed before. You don't sleep in a coffin?"

Eve turned to look at her bed, her face thoughtful as if she hadn't really considered it before.

"An old habit I kept from my human life," she explained. "I used to love getting under the covers, hearing the rustling of the sheets. And with this room being light-tight there's no reason not to. Besides, those coffins are so stuffy and confined. I couldn't sleep in one of those if I tried."

Joshua smirked at the teasing tone in her voice, and watched as she picked up the old doll.

"And the doll?" He asked.

"This was my daughters. Her name was Madeline."

Surprise registered on his face.

"You had a child?"

Eve nodded.

"She died many, many years ago. She was a half-breed, and she lived into her late 70's. I was too afraid of being a mother, and I gave her up to a lovely couple who couldn't have their own children. But the guilt wore on me terribly. I'd spy on her when I could. I watched her sneak out of the house late at night, and I was there when she went to her first formal ball, her wedding, the Christening of her son. She'd been told I'd died during childbirth, so I could never approach her, but I was always there watching from a distance."

Eve stared at the doll hard, her mind going back years to relive all the milestones of her daughter's life. For a moment there was a look of happiness, and then her expression grew grime.

"It is hard for any Mother to watch her baby go before she does, even if she wasn't there as much as she should have been."

Joshua listened silently. He'd never had any children, but he admired the way she smiled fondly at the dolls cracked porcelain face. But the moment was fleeting, and she set it back down on the bed.

"So," she said. "Are you ready to go?"

 

~*~

The trip to Midtown Manhattan was uneventful. They were mostly quiet during the drive, and Joshua's usually silent car had soft contemporary music playing in the background. Eve insisted on having some noise to help ease the tension. He got the distinct impression that Eve insisted on a lot of things.

"Is this how fast you normally drive?" She asked.

Her eyes peered over at the speed-o-meter, and her lips pressed into a thin line when she saw he was only going thirty.

"Yes. Am I supposed to be going faster?"

Eve shrugged, settling back into her seat.

"I just don't understand the point of buying a car with a v12 engine when obviously you'd have been fine with a v4."

He smirked at her undercover insult. Eve was a clever girl. Human or vampire, nothing got to a man like talking about his horse power. His foot applied a little more pressure to the gas pedal and the engine roared as their speed increased.

It didn't take very long for them to reach the little gallery that would be hosting tonight's wine tasting event. It was a small building with a rough brick exterior and crisp white walls on the interior. Joshua found a parking spot a few buildings down and parallel parked with ease.

"Smooth," Eve commented.

Joshua climbed out of the car and stepped onto the sidewalk next to Eve, the car horn honked as he set the alarm. Small rocks crunched beneath her heels as they made their way down the block toward the small gallery. Eve seemed perfectly at ease, fidgeting with the ends of her hair and lightly patting the make-up on her cheeks. But Joshua could feel a certain twinge in the air. His senses told him they weren't along. Someone was lurking nearby, in the shadows. His eyes quickly darted from left to right, spotting the dark alleyway just as three men stepped out. They all had tanned skin and thick dark hair. They wore big puffy jackets and baggy jeans. That was another human trend he'd never understand: baggy jeans. He remembered when jeans had first been invented. They had been meant for hard labor, for putting in long hours on the farm and roping cattle, not for showing off the pattern on your boxer shorts.

"Excuse me, I'm tryin' to put some gas in my car so I can get back to Brooklyn. Do you have a couple dollars you can spare?"

Joshua shook his head, watching as the three men split up. The tallest of the three was the one who spoke, and he moved to Joshua's right while the other two flanked his left.

"No," Joshua said. "I don't. Sorry."

He continued walking, thinking maybe the men weren't going to be any trouble after all. But then he heard a surprised gasp come from Evangeline. He turned around to find her standing a mere foot or so behind him, the man's hand wrapped tightly around her pale arm.

"What about you, suga?" The man asked. "Got any change?"

Joshua turned his body toward them. Instinctively his muscles tightened, his shoulders pushed back, and he seemed to grow taller.

"She does not," he answered for her. "Let her go."

The man looked annoyed, rolling his dark eyes.

"Yo, I wasn't talking to you, man.'

He turned his attention back to Eve, who was still eyeing the man's fingers pressing into her skin. Joshua's senses focused on his surroundings. He couldn't smell anyone else besides their little group, and didn't hear any approaching steps. They were alone on this tiny street. The two smaller men to the side didn't seem like they wanted that much involvement. They weren't the least bit tense or defensive, and were removed from the situation as they leaned back against the buildings brick wall and chuckled at the scene before them. The idiot with the grip on Eve seemed to be their courageous leader. And he was being overly confident about his size and street smart education. This would be easy.

"You have ten seconds to let go of her."

Again the man rolled his eyes, still looking at Eve.

"What's your boyfriend's problem?"

Eve raised one perfectly plucked eyebrow.

"If I were you, I'd listen to him."

The man looked skeptical as he eyed Joshua. The General's blue eyes narrowed on him.

"Five seconds left."

"You better listen," Eve said.

"I'll take my chances."

The street was silent for a beat, and then Joshua spoke again.

"Times up."

The vampire moved with such speed and precision that even Eve's advanced eyesight had trouble keeping up with him. Joshua rushed forward, forcefully peeling the thick fingers from Eve's arm. Before the man could think to protest, he had no idea what hit him - literally. Joshua punched him two, three, four times - all in quick succession. When the man hit the ground he was holding one hand over his bleeding nose and the other to his abused abdomen. Joshua turned, his smoldering stare settling on the two men who'd been laughing earlier. Now they were plastered against the bricks, their eyes wide with shock as their friend withered on the ground in pain. A low growl resonated in the air as his fangs slid down into place. They gleamed in the reflection of the street lamps, and he growled again.

"Shit man, they're vampires."

Without hesitation both men took off in a sprint going the opposite direction. Like many soldiers he'd seen in the past, they became cowards when there was no leadership. Joshua turned and looked down at the man on the ground. This time his eyes showed no cockiness or annoyance, just awe and fear. He wouldn't be going anywhere on his own, but Joshua had a feeling his buddies of his would be back for him once the coast was clear. So, he took Eve's arm -much more gently than the barbarian had- and resumed their walk toward the gallery.

"Are you alright?" He asked after a few quiet steps.

"Fine," she said. "I guess I was wrong about you, General. Maybe spending the evening with you won't be so bad after all."

Inside the gallery a makeshift bar and several tables had been set up. At each table there was a wine expert, explaining what made their particular type or brand so special. Toward the back of the room there were more tables where patrons could sit and enjoy their buzz. This is where Evangeline had decided to set-up shop.

"So, after Rome, where did you end up?"

She had been regaling Joshua with her life story, tales of how she'd met a young future Queen Kiana, her days spent as a follower of the God Dionysus, and all of the trouble she'd gotten into before making the voyage to the New World.

"After that I went to good 'ole Parie."

"Paris in the 1880's? That must have been exquisite."

"Oh, it was," she smiled. "Gustave Eiffel was just beginning construction on his 'love letter to the Industrial Revolution'."

"The Eiffel Tower."

Eve's face lit up.

"Yes! You know the expression?"

"Oh yes. Legend has it that Gustave saw the Revolution as the future, a way of creating new and exciting art, and the beginning of a magical world. So, he built the tower, his love letter, to embrace, celebrate, and encourage these new industrial advances."

"That's no legend," Eve said. "It'd all true. Gustave was so excited and optimistic about the future. I wish he could have seen the world as it is today, even just for a moment."

"Why? It'd only depress him. All of the violence, chaos, hatred-."

"But the beauty! The skyscrapers, the new engineering opportunities, space shuttles, art installations-."

"Massacres, pollution, disease, poverty. Yes, I'd really want to come back from the dead to see all of this."

Eve mock glared at him and took a sip from her crystal wine glass.

"Careful General, you're turning into a buzz kill."

He smiled, swirling around his whiskey glass.

"I apologize. From now on I'll attempt to see the beauty mixed in amongst all this disorder."

"Disorder? You sound just like a military man, all order and organization."

"There is nothing wrong with seeing pain and wanting to help heal it rather than ignore it."

Eve sat quietly, observing his posture. He appeared relaxed to the naked eye, but an old vampire could see the way his tense muscles were coiled, ready to spring at the first sign of trouble. Obviously he was taking his job as her guardian very seriously.

"Is that why you became a General? To help heal our race?"

When he heard the amused sarcastic tone in her voice his gaze shot over to her. His blue eyes frosted over like ice.

"Have you any idea the pain our race endures? Makers create children jus to listen to them scream as they roast in the sun. Rogue vampires attack innocent human families in rural areas, just for the fun of it because humans put all their faith in the smell of roasted garlic. Secret government labs kidnap our young and lock them in cages to be tortured and tested for the source of the immortality powers in our blood. Rival kingdoms seek to destroy us and take over the vast territory Queen Kiana controls. They'll kill the men, and turn civilian women like you into blood whores and feed off of you until you waste away and become nothing more than a breathing pile of dust. I'd say our race needs a lot of healing, and there's nothing funny about it."

Eve had no witty reply for him, and after a few seconds the new found stress seemed to ease from Joshua's body.

"You take your position very seriously, don't you?" She asked.

Joshua thought it over, thinking of Sandra and all the young vampires he watched over.

"At this moment somewhere in my district, there is a young boy just waking up. He's going to climb out of his coffin -or bed- and head off to begin his day. He'll feed; do his chores, study, and maybe even train. And he's going to be able to do that without worrying about someone trying to kill him, or trap him as their pet. He's going to do it without wondering if this will be his last meal, or if today will be the day that his maker finally tires of him and casts him out hours just before dawn. He's going to wake up secure in the knowledge that he is protected. He will know that because I am his General, and I have sworn to spend the rest of eternity protecting him, or to die trying."

Eve still said nothing, and in fact looked a bit humbled by his words. That hadn't been Joshua's intentions, but when he thought of Sandra and the state she'd been in when he found her, he couldn't help the passion and intensity that was radiating out of him now.

"I'm sorry," he said, taking a big gulp from his glass. "I don't mean to lecture you. You are older than I and have no doubt seen some tragic things. But I have been a General for many decades, and you would be shocked at the atrocities I have seen."

Eve nodded, speaking for the first time.

"I can only imagine."

A peaceful silence fell over them and Joshua focused on the gallery. Bright lights lit up every corner of the lush space, and chatty, happily-drunken couples milled from table to table. It wasn't until Eve's hand landed on his thigh that he turned back to her. Her hazel eyes were soft and honest, her expressions sincere and not the least bit flirtatious or playful. This was the most beautiful he'd seen her look since meeting her.

"Thank you," she said. "For outside earlier with those men, and for your service. In all my years I have never felt safer than I do right now, sitting here with you."

Joshua reached down, taking a hold of her long slender fingers and raising them to his lips. She smelled like vanilla, and he placed a soft kiss on her knuckled before peering at her through his lashes.

"It is my pleasure, Lady Evangeline."

Eve smiled politely at the use of her proper title, and withdrew her hand when he didn't immediately let go of it.

"I see that all the stories about you are true, not just the courageous ones."

He grinned knowingly and leaned back on his stool.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Oh sure," she grinned back. "You and I both know how much of a playboy you are."

"I'm not a playboy; I'm just actively searching for 'the one'."

"Sure, 'the human one'."

"Humans aren't so bad."

Eve snorted and swatted her hand through the air in dismissal of his comment.

"They're useless. The best thing that ever happened to me was being turned."

Joshua took a sip of whiskey.

"I like the humans," he said softly. "When I'm with them I can smell the sun on them. That is what I miss about my human life: the sun warming my skin as my siblings and I raced around the hillside behind our home."

"But General, even with the scent of day, don't you find being with humans a bit of an inconvenience? It must be difficult to control yourself when they are so fragile. Have you ever even tried being with a female vampire before?"

Joshua cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, but he refused to meet her eyes. Eve's smile grew wide.

"Oh my, isn't this something? Humans have the Surgeon General, we have the Virgin General."

There was a nickname Joshua didn't care for. He glanced around nervously to make sure no one had overheard.

"I'm hardly a virgin."

"In our world you are. I can't believe you haven't tried it! There's nothing like it, you're really missing out."

"That may be, but please, don't spread that bit of information around. You may be only visiting, but I have a reputation to uphold here."

Once again Eve's hand landed on his thigh, but this time there was nothing humble about the look she gave him. Her eyes grew deep and intense, and the corners of her mouth curled in a mysterious, sultry smile.

"Let me know if you're ever interested in changing that. I'd love the opportunity to repay some of the hospitality you've shown me."

Her hand squeezed his firm thigh, and her desire ran through him like the rippling waves of an earthquake. He'd been approached by women of his race numerous times before, but this was the first time he'd ever actually considered taking one up on her offer.

 

~*~

The door to Evangeline's apartment burst open, and two bodies came tumbling in out of the cold. They were too wrapped up in each other to bother with the lights, or to even attempt to watch where they were going for that matter. It had been this way the entire drive back to her place, all kissing and groping and foggy windows. The normally slow driving CL65 had certainly gotten a chance to stretch its legs tonight.

Joshua kicked the door closed and turned the deadbolt as soon as it shut. Eve was on him in an instant, her cold lips igniting a fire that burned from his mouth, down his chest, into his groin, and out his toes. She pulled off the fur shawl that had been masking her bare shoulders and dropped it on the floor before launching herself at him. Her legs wrapped around his waist, and the momentum sent him stumbling into the blue vase by the door. She heard the china decoration fall against the floor, but whether or not it broke she didn't know nor did she care to look. All that mattered to her right now was the feel of Joshua's lips against hers, the taste of his tongue as it twirled with hers, and the strength of his hands as they cupped her ass, holding her body flush against him.

Their lip-lock was blazing hot, tongue battling and teeth scraping soft flesh. Finally he set her feet back on the floor, pushing her back and into the wall behind her. She hit it with a thud, but it didn't faze her in the slightest. Now he understood what she'd meant when she asked if it was hard for him to control himself. That action required minimal effort on his part, but if he'd been that rough with any ordinary woman they'd probably have a concussion. But Eve was different. Though she looked delicate her body had something in common with his. Both were rock hard and difficult to damage. His mouth watered at the realization of how indestructible she was, and it made him hard just to think about.

Eve waited patiently while he removed his suit jacket and tie, dropping them both to the floor one after the other. She pulled off her heels, and plastered her body against the wall in a pose that arched her back and showed off the feminine curve of her breasts. In an instant Joshua was pressed against her again, smothering her with his body. Rough fingers fondled her breasts through the fabric of her dress and his mouth sought out her neck. He didn't bite, but sucked at her skin, electing deep moans from her throat.

Shoving him hard, Eve put some distance between them and sent him tumbling onto the sofa. The expression on his face showed he was clearly surprised the piece of furniture was even there. For someone as focused and precise as he'd been earlier by the alley, he sure was clumsy now. She smirked at him, slinking her body over to where he lay on his back and crawling over him. Her dress rode high on her peaches and cream thighs as she settled on top of him. She could feel his arousal between her legs, straining against the metal zipper, begging for the opportunity to escape and receive some attention.

Her hips started a slow teasing grind against him, and whittled away at any slight reservation he might have had about sleeping with her. He sat up, his mouth capturing hers again. His tongue brushing against one of her perfect fangs and it sent a chill through him. The dark spicy scent coming from her tickled his nose and he couldn't wait any longer. He had to have her, had to feel her, now! Reaching down, he hiked her dress up to her waist and yanked on the panties serving as one of the two barriers between them. They tore with ease. The barrier disappeared, becoming just a piece of fabric in his hand.

Before he could do anything more Eve forced him down onto his back once again. Swift fingers tore at the dress shirt covering his torso, not bothering to undo any of the buttons, but instead ripping it open down the middle. Her panting filled the air as she marveled at his body. He was pale and sculpted; his chest rose and fell with every unnecessary breath he took. Eve had a feeling she was really going to enjoy this. She'd wanted him since the moment she laid eyes on him at MONROE'S, and now the moment was here. Ecstasy was so painstakingly close.

He watched as she undid his belt, followed by the button and zipper on his pants. He was glad she actually took the time to undo them properly rather than rip them off the way she could have. Driving home without a shirt was one thing, but driving with no pants was something completely different. Joshua lost his train of thought when she grabbed a hold of his member, pulling it free of its prison. Her slim fingers wrapped around it tightly, pulsing in a delectable rhythm that made his toes curl. Clearly Evangeline was no virgin either, and she took pleasure in watching him wither and moan beneath her. But she had needs too, and the aching at her core reminded her of what it was she truly needed. Sitting up on her knees she positioned her entrance over him, pressing the tip of his organ against it. With a slight bit of pressure he slid insides, and they both inhaled a deep breath.

It was unlike anything he'd ever experiences before. She was typically cool, yet somehow warm at the same time. She was small, and soft, and experienced as she made her muscles squeeze him in waves. Her mouth opened and deadly fangs stared back at him. Beginning her slow grind once again, she was the perfect manifestation of deathly beautiful. Her white skin and hazel eyes were remarkable, but those pointed teeth provided an element of danger no woman he'd ever slept with had possessed before.

For Joshua it was sensory overload, and his head fell back against the sofa cushion. Evangeline stared down at him, relishing in the vibrations his body sent through her. He was long and sturdy, and with every upward movement of his hips he pressed into her deeper and deeper. If sex like this was the trade-off she got for giving up her days of tanning, she'd happily say goodbye to the sun any day of the week. Looking down at him now, she had a feeling he'd probably agree with her. His blue eyes were squeezed shut, and his mouth hung open, his fangs barely peeking out past his lips.

The tilt of his head stretched his neck, displaying the taut muscles under his skin. She could picture his veins, pumping pints of blood through his skilled body. A male of his age would have sweet blood, thick with the venom that kept them alive. She could taste him already, his lifeline dripping into her mouth, wetting her tongue. He'd taste good. So, so good. And she'd be the only one to ever have tasted him.

Without warning Joshua's eyes shot open in response to the pain he felt. All he could see was a cloud of this red hair as Eve bit into him. There was pain, an intense all-consuming pain, but that lasted only a second. Quickly the venom set in, triggering the endorphins. They felt amazing, and JC went into a state of euphoria were everything was pleasant and peaceful. He felt elated, an all-consuming feeling of joy and happiness. He felt her taking deep swallows, her fangs pressing into him as her hips continued their erotic swirl over his pelvis. It was like the best of both worlds, and as the fog settled in Joshua couldn't even think to tell her 'no'.

The following morning -or night- arrived quickly, and the first thing Joshua noticed was that he was not lying in his own coffin. This one was too soft and plush and warm to be his sleeping quarter.

My Eve.

The words flashed before his eyes clear as day and it made him sit straight up in bed. Bed. That's where he was, in a bed. Evangeline's to be exact. Well, that certainly explained all the softness. He hadn't actually slept in a bed in years, decade's maybe. It was… different. But waking up here that meant he'd slept here. He never spent the entire night with anyone. Ever. At least, not until now.

Joshua looked around, seeing the vanity where Eve had been brushing her hair when he first arrived, and the small closet to the left with the door still open. Then he looked down next to him, and there she lay in all her midnight glory. She was sleeping like a child, her body so motionless that if he didn't know any better he'd swear she was dead. Just beyond her, on the floor, was her daughter's doll, the face turned away from them. It was probably better that way. He couldn't remember everything they'd done the previous night, but what he could remember was definitely not something for that poor innocent children's toy to witness. Eve shifted next to him, a gentle sigh escaping her lips.

My Eve.

There it was again. Those words. That mysterious airy voice -that sounded strangely close to his own- speaking softly in his head.

Eve. Eve. My Eve. She's mine.

Joshua looked down at Eve again, seeing her red hair and the smeared red lipstick on her lips. She was his. His alone. And she would be, forever. He'd been so wrong before about not needing a companion, about not wanting a relationship with any female vampires. Queen Kiana had been right; it was time for him to move on. And he would, with Eve. They'd be mated, then they'd buy a home, and they'd be happy together. Eventually he would retire from his position as General, and maybe they'd have a pure bred child of their own. But looking down at her again, he realized the most important thing. Tonight would be the first of many nights that he'd wake up next to her. It was something he could get used too. He could even get used to the bed, if he had too.

 

~*~

"I've got to speak with her, now!"

The boy at the door rolled his Cleopatra eyes, still blocking the entry way with his slim body as if that were really what was stopping Joshua from coming in.

"I've already told you the Queen isn't receiving tonight. Send your request by messenger and the Court will invite you when needed."

The boy moved to close the door, and Joshua leaned into it with his shoulder, effectively holding it open.

"Tell her it's General Chasez. I'm sure she'll make an exception."

"Not tonight," the boy grunted.

He threw his full servant weight against the door, but it didn't budge. He tried again, but still the General didn't move. Finally, exasperated and exhausted, the boy stopped trying and looked at him wide eyed.

"This is the Royal Court! You come here, demanding an audience with the Queen. Have you no sense of tradition?"

It was true, Joshua had forgotten his traditions. He wasn't wearing the traditional red uniform, or even the General medallion he was required to wear. He'd climbed from Eve's bed and come straight to the underground palace, disregarding the lack of buttons on his open shirt. His matter with the Queen was urgent, of the utmost importance, and he didn't have time to follow protocol. Tradition would have to wait.

"Just tell her who it is. She'll see me."

She had too. He didn't know what he'd do if he had to wait another day -or possibly longer- to speak with her. The servant boy opened his mouth, but it was not his voice that echoed from inside the vast foyer.

"It's alright Nebel," Queen Kiana spoke. "I will see the General, just to put an end to all this noise if nothing else. Show him to my day room."

The boy bowed obediently, his eyes shooting daggers at Joshua. Clearly this kid was a stickler for the rules. He opened the door and allowed Joshua to enter, securing the door behind him once he did.

"Follow me," he muttered.

The boy began a brisk walk toward the day room, the same room Joshua had met with her in just forty-eight hours prior. He didn't see the Queen anywhere during his walk, but he knew she was around. Once again the servant left him alone in the room, but this time it didn't take nearly as long for her the Queen to enter. She flounced in, a bright orange and yellow train following behind her. She went straight to her throne, her eyes bearing the expression of annoyance and a little curiosity.

"Alright General, you've got my staff up in arms over your little intrusion. What's so important? This had better be good."

Joshua took a deep breath.

"I need your permission to be mated to Evangeline."

The Queen's eyebrows shot up and she looked at him in disbelief.

"Well, well, well, isn't this a surprise turn of events Mr. I-have-no-use-for-a-mate."

Joshua ignored her, focusing on his sole purpose for this visit. She wasn't going to derail him from his mission with her teasing.

"I need your permission. She is of the Royal Court -Lady Eve- is she not?"

The vampire Queen nodded.

"She is one of my most trusted advisors, yes. But, General, you can't honestly want to mate her. You only met her yesterday."

Technically he'd known her for three days, but that was beside the point.

"I am in love."

"Oh boy." The Queen's eyes rolled and she sank back into her throne. "Spoken like an imprinted male."

Realizing what she'd just said, her eyes narrowed on him. He did sound strangely like an imprinted male, but there was no way that was possible. Or so she thought. Suddenly her General grew very nervous as he shifted his feet.

"There's something to this story that you aren't telling me. What happened?"

His feet shifted again, and her eyes narrowed further, and her voice became low and menacing.

"You didn't by any chance feed her, did you?"

Joshua said nothing, and she quickly grew tired of his silent game. She shot up from her chair, fast as lightening, and shoved his head to the side so she could examine his neck. She found two small puncture wounds, bright pink as they worked to heal.

"General Chasez, are you out of your mind?!"

Her voice bounced off the walls, echoing over and over long after she'd spoken. Her fangs seemed to extend even further, and her eyes blazed with anger. Kicking out a smooth bare leg from beneath her long dress she knocked his knees out from under him, leaving him flat on his back on the floor. It was the second time in twenty-four hours that a woman had been able to catch him off-guard, but this time it was due solely to the fact that she was much older, and therefore stronger. Queen Kiana loomed over him, her eyes glowing red and her words spilling out as angry growls.

"I charge you with the simple task of guarding a member of my court, and you come back two days later, barging into my palace with no sense of tradition, honor, or respect, just to tell me you've imprinted?! I know your reputation is that of a dog, but I expected you to show some self-discipline when it came to our own race. You were to protect her, not sleep with her, and certainly not feed her!"

The heated words of her rant echoed on long after she was finished, and she straightened up, allowing Joshua to sit up as well. Sitting down on the floor, she towered over him. It wasn't often that the General felt intimidating, but he did now.

"Did you at least think to feed from her in the middle of all this mess?"

Joshua sighed.

"I did not."

The Queen cursed, turning her back and heading back to her throne. Joshua climbed to his feet, hanging his head. She was right; he had ignored his duties and given in to physical desires. He couldn't help it. He'd been enchanted by her since he first laid eyes on her in the bar, and there was no way he'd been able to turn down her offer once she voiced it. But the biting, however, hadn't exactly been his fault. Besides, he regretted none of it. Evangeline was perfect for him. She reminded him so much of Sabina, and he hadn't felt this way about any woman since her. The Queen had said she wanted him to have children, now she was one stop closer to getting her wish.

"You did not feed from her, Joshua."

The Queen rubbed her forehead. She looked tired and irritated.

"She has not imprinted on you. She will not mate you. You are an imprinted male with no mate!"

Joshua's eyes shot up to hers.

"She will," he said. "I am certain she will. Eve and I are a match in every way. A lady of worth and an advisor to the Queen? Who should be more perfect for her than a General? She will imprint, and we will be mated, with your blessing."

The Queen looked at him. She stayed silent for a beat, then her eyes rolled and she waved a hand at him.

"Fine. By all means go mate her. You have my royal blessing."


Incomplete
Coffee is the author of 27 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Assassin Series also liked 169 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: vampire